Unholy Trippel

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Unholy TrippelUnholy Trippel
Notes: Our take on the Trippel style originally brewed by monks in Belgium features fruity / funky notes from the traditional Belgian yeast paired with a sacrilegious American hop character.
Reviews: 65 | Ratings: 291 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.96/5  rDev -1.5%

Murky copper color. Pleasant spice odor. Foam head quickly collapses. Spiced flavor - clove? Not one to drink without food. 0.2% ABV per the can the drink was poured.

2.03/5  rDev -49.5%

I'm pretty upset by this beer. I have found it incredibly difficult to find good Tripel's in the states and this beer doesn't make it better. If I wanted to order an IPA, then I would have ordered one. This beer had ZERO of the classic yeasty notes in both smell and taste. I really don't know how this brewery got away with calling this a tripel. I'm incredibly disappointed.

It has the normal blondish color of a Tripel. Smells likes a straight up IPA. Tastes identical to an IPA, right down to the bitter finish. The feel is good (not heavily carbonated).

Overall this brewery has to change the type of beer they call it, because it's a disgrace to a tripel. But if you're looking for a good IPA, I'd recommend this one.

12oz can pours with a nearly clear copper gold body that supports a dirty white head of foam. The aroma offers up spicy hops, spicy yeast, pear and then faint syrup like honey. The taste delivers smooth sweet apple and pear notes. It stays somewhat smooth and unwavering right into the finish. Nice triple with virtually no sense of the ABV. Super easy to drink or chug if u are into that and for 9.5 abv u can not tell there is any alcohol a beer I would recommend to anyone that can get it in there area.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Good color, wonderful roasted malted flavor, hoppy but layered with a sweet aroma. My favorite in this class is FDM but if you are looking for one with less spice, this is it. Oh, in south Florida, with all the watery s***, there is nothing better.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy yellowish color, pillowy white head, really good lacing
S: Piney hops
T: Those pine hops right up front, gives way to a sweet malt balance then a citrusy grapefruit hop taste at end.
M: Medium
O: A really nice beer. As others have mentioned not really the "classic" tripel but really nice. The haziness of the beer and a great hop presence gives this that "juiciness" that has become popular with the NEIPAs. It still has that Belgain yeast flavor to it though.

4.19/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Popping the top I get a nice biscuit smell with a touch of hoppy aroma. Pours to a light straw with minimal head into a Cigar City snifter. Taste is silky smooth and sweet up front with a mild hop bite that ebbs and flows like a wisp in the wind. Seems more bitter than most Trippels but I'm not complaining. ABV is not even noticeable this would be a sneaky brew at 9% ABV. At $9.99 a sixer at WF it is an incredible value. This would pair well with some cheese with a bite like blue or sharp smoked chedar or jalapeno. Very enjoyable. A great local brew.

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted from a 12 oz bottle.

L - Straw color with a hint of gold; moderately hazy, so that it almost looks like a witbier. Dense white head quickly fades to a thin sheet with light lacing on the glass.

S - Strong American hops character of grapefruit and pine seems very out of place for a tripel, but is appealing if you ignore the "rules". No yeast or malt nose can assert from under the blanket of hops.

T - Flavors are very much like an American IPA. Strong hops flavors that match the nose. A hint of malt sweetness in the finish and aftertaste. I have to really use my imagination to find any yeast character--just a tiny hint of peppery spice in the background.

F - Medium body with strong, creamy carbonation. High hops bitterness. Light alcohol burn.

O - This is an enjoyable beer, but I would not call it a Belgian-style tripel. The brewer's notes say it's a tripel with American hops, but I struggle to find any vestiges of Belgian character in it. Serve this to me as what it is, an American IPA, and I would rate it higher.

4.54/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cannot get enough of this wonder! A great trippel with perfect yeasty spice, maltiness and a tough of floral. IMHO if they could cut the sweet down a bit this could migrate to being a full five.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Had this at a World of Beer location in Tampa. The beer has a golden, clear color with a fluffy white head. Aromas included Floral hops mixed with some earthy yeast. The taste was sweet and buttery with a smooth and silky texture. Overall, I really enjoyed the taste characteristic the most.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours medium straw color, ample foamy white head. Interesting aroma: funky with a heavy apricot influence. A bit of a different take on a trippel, kind of heavy, I get the apricot flavor with some lemon peel, slightly bitter finish. Carbonation is adequate for the style. Overall a different take on a trippel.

11/24/18
12 oz bottle, best by 2/20/19
3.75 rating

4.36/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It is the occasional ocCANsion of New Odds & Sods Beer Sunday (Week 711)!

From the Bottle: "Style[:] Trippel[,] Flavors[:] Sacrilegious Hops [-] Fruity & Funky[,] Pairs Perfectly With Cuban Devil Crab"; "All-natural. Unpasteurized. Uncompromised."

I LOVE bottle-conditioned beers & I try to treat them with kid gloves. I Pop!ped the cap & commenced another extremely slow, gentle pour. It was coming out of the neck at the speed of molasses running uphill on a cold day. The Poky Little Puppy ran past as I poured! 8=( Once I had it sufficiently decanted, I gave it a vigorous in-glass swirl to raise two-plus fingers of dense, Eggshell-White head with great retention that left a load of sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous Yellow, but not deep enough to be called Gold (SRM = 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like an odd lollipop - very sugary, probably Belgian Candi sugar, with an odd citrusy funkiness, like decomposing lemon peels stepped on by a passing barnyard animal, like a horse or goat, Hmm. Mouthfeel was big, full, creamy & thick! Wow! I allowed it to roll around on my tongue, coating my palate & taking in the diverse flavors. It was wide-ranging from orange to lemony citrusiness to sugary candy to a light barnyard funk & I think that they may have outdone the Belgians on this one! Dang, but this was not only good & tasty, but I was having fun drinking it as evidenced by the smile on my face. 8=) I have another bottle (it was a minimum order of two (2)) so that one is going into the cellar. Finish was dry, proving that the yeast had done its job. Man, two for two on NBS Week 711!

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: Pale, somewhat hazy gold. Small white head that quickly dissipates.

Smell: Very strong, IPA-like scent of piney and citrusy hops. It's hard to identify any other tripel notes under it.

Taste: Quite unusual. It has the distinctive pine taste of hops, but without the bitterness. I've never encountered that before. They're mixed with the usual sweet breadiness and fruit notes of a tripel.

Mouthfeel: Thick, velvety, and mildly carbonated.

Overall: This is one of the most unique beers I've had. I've never tasted hops without the terrible bitterness of an IPA, so this is truly a different taste.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Unholy Trippel has a very thin, white head, a mostly clear, somewhat hazy, bubbly appearance, with minimal lacing. Aroma is of pungent, white bread and pineapple. Taste is of white bread, some grain husk, and lemon. Mouthfeel is clean and light to medium, and Unholy finishes mostly dry. This is a somewhat odd item.

RJT

4.76/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Tastefully done Trippel with sweet Belgian candy esters lurking under a semi-tart, rich layer of hoppy goodness.

*Edit: 10/31/18*

I never realized how great Unholy was until after a few glorious sessions. I even served a ridiculously, lavish pour laying the bottle prone and giving it a friendly "hefe" roll. Stirring its unpasteurized & unfiltered contents awaken and empty vigorously into my chalice. Upon Inspection I raised my review almost half a point. Why you ask? There's dozens of inferior Trippel examples on the shelf @different price points & to a lesser degree of exception.

4.29/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Too hoppy to be a tripel, but given that American tripels (or "trippel" as they are inexplicably spelled in the US) tend to be a pedestrian, malty sweet lot, if this is an American style tripel, then count me as a fan. Probably more of a Belgian style strong pale with a hop bite and a malty undertone, but whatever it is, these guys from Tampa have hit it out of the park. My expectations were low going into this, and to say I was pleasantly surprised is the vastest of understatement. This is the kind of non-Belgian kinda Belgian-style ale one would expect from Unibroue and Ommegang if they were mischievously creative. Well done, Tampa dudes.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A hazy straw color with a foamy thin white head that dissipates to a skim, somewhat lacy; The aroma is rich and enticing, earthy with a hint of fruit; Feels tangy with a slight alcohol sting, mild carbonation; Flavor is mildly hoppy with bready fruit, a bit of a sweet-sour aftertaste; A pleasant flavorful beer. And the flavor grows on you. Worth having again.

3.51/5  rDev -12.7%

Wouldn't call it a trippel. More like an imperial ipa with a note of belgian candy sugar. Im not getting much belgian esters, just hops and a fairly clean malt background.

Pours a pale golden yellow in color some very small dark floaties form bottle conditioning. Small finger sized white head falls fast to ringed bubble some good sheet from such a small head.

Aroma is sweet malts, honey,light fruitiness, banana and pear. Earthy and spices with touches of mint and grass.

Taste is like the nose but hotter. sweet malts are there but not as sweet as the nose, pear, lighter fruit notes a warming kick from the 9%. Moves to earth notes and spice lemon grass, light coriander, cloves ect... Finish is drier with a good dose of hops to balance the sweetness out. Not your normal triple but an interesting brew that is enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is a big medium with fairly mellow carbonation for the style.

Overall not a normal Triple but an enjoyable brew that I wouldn't mind having again.

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip. Best by 6/22/18, which is getting close, but we're talking a tripel here.

Appearance: a nice, light golden hue with a dash of haze yielding a silvery shimmer. There's a finger of frothy ivory foam atop; a handsome beer.

Smell: slightly sweet malt with a big aroma of hops. These are minty, earthy and herbal in nature; I quite like the effect.

Taste: I taste the hops a lot more than the underlying tripel. The bitterness is balanced, but the hoppiness is way out of whack for the style; that said, I think it works rather well. The herbal/minty hops pair well with the overall sweetness of the beer; it almost reminds me of a hoppy saison in a way. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good, smooth carbonation and creaminess. I dig it.

Overall: this is not typically what I'm looking for when I pick up a tripel, but I like the overall effect. I understand the "best by" date a little bit more, now -- this ain't your standard tripel. A good beer!

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle Date: best by 6/30/18
Palate Contaminants: none

The look is semi-clear gold. Medium-fine head, and plenty of it. Good lacing.

The scent is like a good banana bread. Wheat, moderate malt, cloves, a little walnut, and lightly sweet banana. It lacks intensity, though.

The taste is stronger, but what's on the nose is lesser in the taste. More cloves and vanilla, I'd say. Slight bitterness, light-medium sweetness.

A swish brings out a bit of prickly carbonation. The alcohol is pretty well hidden for a niner. Aftertaste is moderately sweet malt and subdued earthy hops.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer. Not quite a Tripel in my book, and I bet the Belgian monks are freakin’ but this is a REALLY good beer. Too mich hops to be a traditional Tripel but it works somehow. Delcious flavor and really smooth.

possibly my favorite of all the coppertail beers i enjoyed this week on vacation in florida. it starts off like a traditional belgian triple with some nice blonde malty sweetness, honey and rock candy notes, lots of fluffy body, and a belgian yeast strain thats quite estery without being amateur american or sloppy at all, white wine and pear and cotton candy and lemongrass, very pleasant and interesting beer in both aroma and in flavor, well made for sure, but there is an unexpected twist at the end... hops! lots of them too. there is an awful lot of bitterness that comes on late here, more than would be found in any belgian example of the style thats for sure, even almost flirting with turning this into an imperial belgian ipa, as the hops totally cancel the previously established malt sweetness, and they linger long with the fruity yeast. its not just bitterness though, they also add some flattering citrus to this, as well as some piney notes, which sound weird in a triple, but that really work well here, unexpected to say the least, but really very good. this gets even more flavorful as it warms up a bit, but the balance is there, it never falls apart, and in the end, its a very unique and compelling beer, i loved it! huge props for taking a chance in a style that seems almost no innovation these days!

Very solid tripel!

Earthy hops and a Belgian sweetness balance very well here. I picked up a sixer and was pleasantly surprised. Candy sweetness... Touches of booze here and there... Kiss of hops on the finish that makes this different enough to be very interesting and one I would grab often considering how available it is...

4.26/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz, past the best by date, but I'm sure it's still delicious. Poured into a tulip. Given to me by my buddy Bryce from his trip to Disney World.
Look: hazy orange yellow. Neon green/yellow when back lit. 1 finger of head that was off white but soft and foamy. good lace lingered on the glass.
Smell: Dominated by a juicy, citrusy hops. background of spice, banana, fruits
Taste: upfront hop citrusy fruity hop. Doesn't last too long before a really nice fruity flavor. Can't quite pick the fruit. Hint of allspice and coriander. Some sips are more bitter than others. It seems to alternate between a pale and a fruity trippel. Very interesting.
Feel: average mouth feel. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad.
Overall: great beer. Pretty unique development throughout the sip. Would recommend. Glad I got hte chance to try it.

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

Picked this up in a Total Wines in Fort Myers. I had Coppertail's Freedive a few days ago and liked it, so I thought I'd see if that was a fluke.
Pours a very light straw color with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Initial impression is a fruity brew with surprising hops presence. That's fine with me, but not what I expected in a Trippel. There is some malt presence, but it is definitely playing second fiddle. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. ABV is well hidden.
I use my ratings to memorialize the way I feel about a beer, not how well I think it adheres to the style. I don't like Belgians, so typically I rank them fairly low. But I did enjoy this brew. So stylistically this should score lower than the numbers I gave it.

Unholy Trippel from Coppertail Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 89 out of 100 with 291 ratings