Cone Flakes IIPA
Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.

Cone Flakes IIPACone Flakes IIPA
Score:
Ranked #3,873
4.12 | pDev: 11.17%
From:
Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.

Connecticut, United States
Reviews by RollDamnTide:
3.37/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.94/5  rDev -52.9%

Made the trip to the brewery this weekend. I'd heard a lot of great things about this one and was very excited to try it.

It certainly looked delicious. It had a gorgeous, clean, copper color and a thin, white head. It smelled great too. There were strong aromas of pine and floral hops, with notes of citrus fruit. But the taste was downright foul. A tremendous hop bite followed by flavors of dirt, sawdust, and rust. You could have told me the batch was contaminated with a wheelbarrow full of mud from a nearby construction site and I would have believed it.

After all the positive reviews I'd gotten from people I was incredibly disappointed. I have to add this to the short list of beers that I outright could not finish.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

Had at Prime 16 on Friday August 14th. Really great double IPA from connecticut. Tons of hops in the aroma and flavor with a decent malt bill, too. It errs more on the side of a balanced DIPA. My only gripe is that it is a bit too heavy in the body. Worth a try!

Had at Confetti restaurant in Plainville CT, Must have been on tap as I don't think they bottle. Have to say that for the first time I have tried this brewer, I was not impressed. Beer looked fine in the glass but had an off smell. The taste was bitter but not a good hoppy bitter. I may try again when I get back to CT as it may have been a bad keg or the restaurant mid-handled it.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Really good IPA offering from Firefly. The first beer I've had from this brewery that made me a believer in their process. Citrus juiciness up front and hop bitterness to finish each swallow. While I wouldn't normally go out of my way for a Firefly beer, this is one you should definitely check out if your local watering hole has it on tap.

3.35/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Don't like the bitterness on this DIPA, too complex for my palate to appreciate. Earthly rustic, & piney, & citrus.... starts out great finishes as a flat tire in the middle of the woods

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

pours a hazy orange color, good head that dissipates quickly. not a huge fan of the smell, big malt presence, almost a caramel scent? still better than a lot of what you find on the shelf. slight citrus smell, with peaches. taste was much better than smell, bitter hops with citrus and juicy flavors, then that caramel malt backbone that works much better on the tongue than the nose. feel is good for a double IPA, coats the mouth for a minute after each sip. overall good brew coming out of CT. would get again if seen in a store.

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

4.46/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Made a Friday ride home whim purchase of a 4 pk from my local of this local IIPA. I had never heard of FFHBrewing before today. I liked the cloudy yellow/orange color and loved the bright Hop aroma. The brew has a great mix with the hops and malt flakes and has a wonderful aftertaste that hop heads should appreciate but juicers may not. I'll revisit this and try other brews from Firefly Hollow Brewing. I agree this should rate higher and it's stands along side Captains Daughter from Grey Sail RI.

4.19/5  rDev +1.7%

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Slightly hazy light amber, 1 finger white head, decent retention, head settles to a ring, light lacing.
AR: Pine, grapefruit, lemon peel, mango, bready malt.
T: Follows nose, a good balance of malt/hops on the palate, just slightly juicy at times, pleasant lingering bitter pine.
M: Medium carbonation, medium body, somewhat dry.

Solid beer. Would drink again.

4.31/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours transparent orangeish color with soapy head. nose is big Time hops with floral notes abundant. some citra in there it seems. mouthfeel is nice and compliments the blast of up front hops with back end bitterness. seems to have lots of grapefruit with some floral and earthy notes fading in the background. overall a nice surprise from this brewery. this is a very good beer imo and maybe overlooked in the vast array of world class iipa out there. would def drink again. nice job on this one.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

I really hope that I can find this regularly. Could easily be my go to beer. IMO this is the best canned beer in CT unless you include SoS. I'm not going to even count G-bot since its so damn hard to find and can't be found consistently.

I love this brew. Its nice and malty. Very bitter but with a nice balance unlike palate mallet (again my opinion, I know that many people love that brew). Its an interesting brew. Extremely hazy and will lace a glass like no other beer that I've had. There is a little citrus but the hop profile seems to lean towards a very resinous flavor that just works for me. The smell is cat piss. Doesn't bother me but not the brew's high point. Its very different than the actual flavor.

I've only been to firefly once and it was quite a while ago. I've found cans a few times and am always excited to see them. I think that this beer is seriously underrated, especially here apparently. Its a very different IIPA and for that I appreciate it even more. I've been drinking cans of this for the past few days now and very happy about it.

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely amazing beer to represent the signature "New England" IPA style
Bright glowing orange daisy color
Hazy visibility - My fingers aren't seen on the other side
Very juicy with sharp, hoppy bites
Piney undertones

I had it on draft and in can. The can was fresher and better.
This is a must have for New England beer lovers

4.19/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm actually surprised this beer doesn't score over the 90 mark on BA. I got handed a 4-pack of these at my local shop in Southwestern CT after I asked the beer manager for some Single Cut, which they were out of. The bitter, hop-forwardness caught me off guard as I drank my first one before heading out to the Zootopia movie with my wife and kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon. In the hours following I found myself just sort-of craving that taste. I finished the 4-pack that weekend and while I was passing near Bristol CT two weeks later, I picked up 6, 4-packs at the brewery. This batch tastes a little more brown/malty to me than the original 4-pack, though still excellent. To me, this compares well with beers like Ghandi-Bot, Captain Daughter, etc. It's somewhat more bitter. In fact that's it strongest trait. Tends to sit at the back of the roof of my mouth whereas the something like the NEBCO beers are more up front behind my teeth, like I want to chew on their hops . And it's definitely not a Treehouse hazy juice-bomb or dank new England IPA - whatever we want to call them. But I think it's still just a damn excellent double IPA with a strong lingering bold bitterness. The smell is subdued as some have noted but does seem to open up if you drink it from a wide mouthed open glass. As a score of 90 on BA is usually my cutoff for buying a beer site-unseen. I would (if I could) give Cone Flakes a 92 as opposed to the 87 it's got while I'm writing this review.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.86/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cone Flakes IIPA from Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91 out of 100 with 186 ratings