Cone Flakes IIPA | Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.

Cone Flakes IIPACone Flakes IIPA

Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.44/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured this beer from a can purchased directly from the brewery. The nose on this beer jumped out at me. Great citrusy smell. Taste had a great mixture between malt, citrus and some nice complex hoppiness. I really enjoyed this beer and did not taste like a beer with that (somewhat) high alcohol content.
I believe this beer is worthy of a higher rating than an 87.

2.43/5  rDev -38.2%

Something went wrong with this can - tasted like an ashtray, really smokey and burnt

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz can into tulip glass. Pours a mostly transparent medium-dark orange, with medium head and a sticky bit of lacing. The smell starts off as a muted floral bouquet of hops, then is mellowed out by some malt presence. The taste mostly follows suit, however, it leaves a very strange odd-hop aftertaste in my mouth. If it wasn't for the finish/aftertaste, I would have given this a higher rating. Would not purchase again.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Sampling a cold can poured into my snifter. The beer pours a fairly clear copper color with a fluffy eggshell white head of .5 cm foaming up on the pour. The aroma is pine sap and resin with a bit of floral notes and lemon and grapefruit rind. I also get a bit of bready malt notes buried underneath the hops. The nose is a little milder than I would have expected but does have decent complexity.
The first sip reveals an average body with average and prickly carbonation that tingles across my palate. The feel is slightly slick and it washes towards my gut effortlessly on the swallow.
The flavor is a bit of caramel and then significant hop complexity with some sweet fruit, with mango and melon notes and I also get an herbal quality and a fairly astringent grapefruit rind hit that lingers on my palate after each swallow. The finish is very dry and leaves bitterness in its wake. I dont get any booze or warming so the 7.7% is well hidden. This feels more of an "old school" DIPA and isnt in the current juice bomb category IMO. I do really enjoy the beer and find it very drinkable for its heft and complex and interesting while not just burning my palate before the end of the can.
Definitely worth trying if you are a hophead, or just appreciate a well made beer.

2.37/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First had this at Eli Cannons and it was extremely bitter with little to no hop aroma, so I chalked it up to a bad batch. Finally went the brewery to pick up some fresh. Same thing, very bitter, slightly alcoholic, little hop aroma, medium hop flavor...ended up in the drain.

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.93/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.71/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: turbid orange almost no lacing
Smell; tropical
Taste: tropical; sweet at start mild bitterness, harsh unpleasant alcohol flavor, with a strange sweetness
Fell: very drinkable
Overall: okay beer

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm actually surprised this beer doesn't score over the 90 mark on BA. I got handed a 4-pack of these at my local shop in Southwestern CT after I asked the beer manager for some Single Cut, which they were out of. The bitter, hop-forwardness caught me off guard as I drank my first one before heading out to the Zootopia movie with my wife and kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon. In the hours following I found myself just sort-of craving that taste. I finished the 4-pack that weekend and while I was passing near Bristol CT two weeks later, I picked up 6, 4-packs at the brewery. This batch tastes a little more brown/malty to me than the original 4-pack, though still excellent. To me, this compares well with beers like Ghandi-Bot, Captain Daughter, etc. It's somewhat more bitter. In fact that's it strongest trait. Tends to sit at the back of the roof of my mouth whereas the something like the NEBCO beers are more up front behind my teeth, like I want to chew on their hops . And it's definitely not a Treehouse hazy juice-bomb or dank new England IPA - whatever we want to call them. But I think it's still just a damn excellent double IPA with a strong lingering bold bitterness. The smell is subdued as some have noted but does seem to open up if you drink it from a wide mouthed open glass. As a score of 90 on BA is usually my cutoff for buying a beer site-unseen. I would (if I could) give Cone Flakes a 92 as opposed to the 87 it's got while I'm writing this review.

Cone Flakes IIPA from Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.