Cone Flakes IIPA | Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.

Cone Flakes IIPACone Flakes IIPA

Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by nebula1999 on 02-15-2014

Reviews: 25 | Ratings: 142
4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

ACBF pour. A very deep, resiny but tropical hop aroma. Lots of interesting hoppiness. The flavor starts off with fresh fruit hops and turns into a marijuana flavor which I enjoy. Resiny, bitter finish. A memorable beer.

4.19/5  rDev +7.2%

On tap at Firefly Hollow. Pours an orangey brown with a half inch of head. Some lacing. The aroma is spicy and herbal hops with some mango and guava. Hints of pepper. Taste is more of the same. Mango, guava, black pepper and lots of spicy and herbal hops. A bit piney with a fair amount of malts. Finishes with some more of the pepper and some tropical fruits. Very spicy and herbal. Good amount of bitterness. Although it is 7.7% it actually tastes a bit boozier. Dry mouthfeel. Overall, although the abv is on the lowside for an DIPA this certainly drinks like an Imperial. Unique brew with a mix of a lot of different hop flavors to it.

App-4 a-4.25 t-4.25 m-3.75 o-4.25 = 4.19

3.89/5  rDev -0.5%

L: Deep amber with a huge white head. Slight haze.

S: Grapefruit with a hint of bright citrus. Malt shows a bit but it's citrus shines more.

T: A bit more malt here, but still very solid and similar to nose.

F: Good, medium light and expected carb.

O: Very solid DIPA, but more west coast as opposed to NE tropical juice bomb. It's fine, just not my preferred style of hoppy beer. I love the name though.

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Had at Prime 16 on Friday August 14th. Really great double IPA from connecticut. Tons of hops in the aroma and flavor with a decent malt bill, too. It errs more on the side of a balanced DIPA. My only gripe is that it is a bit too heavy in the body. Worth a try!

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Really good IPA offering from Firefly. The first beer I've had from this brewery that made me a believer in their process. Citrus juiciness up front and hop bitterness to finish each swallow. While I wouldn't normally go out of my way for a Firefly beer, this is one you should definitely check out if your local watering hole has it on tap.

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Finally getting around to reviewing this beer now that it's in cans...
L: Really nice looking DIPA. In fact, it's what I usually look for–haze, creamy white head, beautiful lacing, etc. Color is faint orange.
S: Very floral initially. So much hop aroma! As it warms you pick up the malt and yeast.
T: Piney, floral with a hint of grapefruit peel.
F: This is where the beer starts to fall apart. It's extremely dry, maybe to a fault. The balance is poor, to be nice. The hops are over the top, I know that was their aim, but it's really too much. I am halfway done with my second can and my mouth kind of hurts, and I'm not exaggerating. The malt that is there gives it a soft feel for a nanosecond, so I feel a touch more (maybe some flaked oats even?) would make this a world-class DIPA. The carb is on point, the body is right on and the ABV is well masked until well after the finish.
O: I want to love this beer because I think Firefly is a really solid brewery that gets obscured in CT by a handful of others. The reality is, each time I drink this I like it a little less, starting from a taster at a beer fest where I really liked it, now to cans where I'm wondering if I will ever get my palate back. It's a good, to very good beer nevertheless, because there are some pros, which I mentioned. I hope they dial it in a bit without compromising their vision for it.

4.31/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours transparent orangeish color with soapy head. nose is big Time hops with floral notes abundant. some citra in there it seems. mouthfeel is nice and compliments the blast of up front hops with back end bitterness. seems to have lots of grapefruit with some floral and earthy notes fading in the background. overall a nice surprise from this brewery. this is a very good beer imo and maybe overlooked in the vast array of world class iipa out there. would def drink again. nice job on this one.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

pours a hazy orange color, good head that dissipates quickly. not a huge fan of the smell, big malt presence, almost a caramel scent? still better than a lot of what you find on the shelf. slight citrus smell, with peaches. taste was much better than smell, bitter hops with citrus and juicy flavors, then that caramel malt backbone that works much better on the tongue than the nose. feel is good for a double IPA, coats the mouth for a minute after each sip. overall good brew coming out of CT. would get again if seen in a store.

3.55/5  rDev -9.2%

My can was very fresh, a just-canned can. So, virtually "on tap".
This is the biggest hop bomb I've had in awhile. I'm debating shelving the remaining cans to let them mellow just a bit before I crack another. Enormous hops top to bottom of the glass. Drinkable, but challenging, like Hoptinum by SNPA. It doesn't have the body to balance, BOLD MOVE Dana.
Overall, its very memorable and there's the potential here for greatness or great love.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Minus one overall rating point because it's not Treehouse... :)

totally kidding
The real deal, not for the sesame street kids out there, for real men and women who drink genuine craft beer.
Juicy, Deep, Full flavored hops, assertive yet smooth bitterness and a mighty malt profile to back it all up.

What more do you want, except to get your hands on this great brew?

Seek this out, you will be wishing you did sooner.

1.94/5  rDev -50.4%

Made the trip to the brewery this weekend. I'd heard a lot of great things about this one and was very excited to try it.

It certainly looked delicious. It had a gorgeous, clean, copper color and a thin, white head. It smelled great too. There were strong aromas of pine and floral hops, with notes of citrus fruit. But the taste was downright foul. A tremendous hop bite followed by flavors of dirt, sawdust, and rust. You could have told me the batch was contaminated with a wheelbarrow full of mud from a nearby construction site and I would have believed it.

After all the positive reviews I'd gotten from people I was incredibly disappointed. I have to add this to the short list of beers that I outright could not finish.

A: Slightly hazy light amber, 1 finger white head, decent retention, head settles to a ring, light lacing.
AR: Pine, grapefruit, lemon peel, mango, bready malt.
T: Follows nose, a good balance of malt/hops on the palate, just slightly juicy at times, pleasant lingering bitter pine.
M: Medium carbonation, medium body, somewhat dry.

Solid beer. Would drink again.

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Don't like the bitterness on this DIPA, too complex for my palate to appreciate. Earthly rustic, & piney, & citrus.... starts out great finishes as a flat tire in the middle of the woods

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Does not pour well but this is a great tasting double IPA. Brewed locally so I am able to enjoy it fresh from a growler. If you find yourself in Bristol CT, stop by the Hollow.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Went to the Brewery a while ago and was just looking for a small growler for the night. I was extremely surprised when I was given the sample by the aroma of up-front tropical fruits paired with notes of pine.
The taste was on par with the aroma and really was a fruity IIPA. I got fruits such as grapefruit, mango, peach and pineapple.
The mouth feel was great, carbonation was on point and it lingered for the perfect amount of time wanting you to take another drink.
Overall this was a VERY solid DANK local IPA for drinkers in CT and would love to see them make more of this because it really is great.

4.34/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A friend brought me a growler direct from the Bristol brewery. Pours hazy with a copper color and little carbonation (could be from sitting in the growler for a day). Man this is bitter, just the way I like it. Nice mouth feel, bitterness is up front with sweetness at the back end. Good up front citrus notes. If you can get to the brewery or have a friend get you a growler, it's worth it.

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Medium off-white head, clear rich yellow amber – it does not look like pee but does look a little uriney – slight lacing

Aroma: Winey hops with a dank essence – rich and pleasant – hoppy – very slight citrus – very slight sweet pine, not fresh green pine

Taste: Slight citrus essence but more hoppy arrival – quick finish – leaves bitterness on tongue that stays – estery somewhat =- medium body mouth feel – bitter parts of the hops not really balanced as well as it could be – piney, bitter, strong, resiny – the more you drink, the more it stays on the tongue – slight sweetness/maltiness – gets hoppier as you drink the first glass – Doesn’t seem as bright and fresh as from the growler.

Final thoughts: Don’t appreciate after-taste of hops – bitterness remains in the mouth – very hoppy bitter beer, but good, pleasing taste if you like strong hops

4.19/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm actually surprised this beer doesn't score over the 90 mark on BA. I got handed a 4-pack of these at my local shop in Southwestern CT after I asked the beer manager for some Single Cut, which they were out of. The bitter, hop-forwardness caught me off guard as I drank my first one before heading out to the Zootopia movie with my wife and kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon. In the hours following I found myself just sort-of craving that taste. I finished the 4-pack that weekend and while I was passing near Bristol CT two weeks later, I picked up 6, 4-packs at the brewery. This batch tastes a little more brown/malty to me than the original 4-pack, though still excellent. To me, this compares well with beers like Ghandi-Bot, Captain Daughter, etc. It's somewhat more bitter. In fact that's it strongest trait. Tends to sit at the back of the roof of my mouth whereas the something like the NEBCO beers are more up front behind my teeth, like I want to chew on their hops . And it's definitely not a Treehouse hazy juice-bomb or dank new England IPA - whatever we want to call them. But I think it's still just a damn excellent double IPA with a strong lingering bold bitterness. The smell is subdued as some have noted but does seem to open up if you drink it from a wide mouthed open glass. As a score of 90 on BA is usually my cutoff for buying a beer site-unseen. I would (if I could) give Cone Flakes a 92 as opposed to the 87 it's got while I'm writing this review.

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Local beer guy just told me to pick up a 4pack of this and I'm damn glad he did. Not gonna go into too many specifics, because at a certain point all these reviews sound the same. Smell is kinda underwhelming, but the taste is absolutely spot on. Perfect balance of fruit and piney, sweet and bitter. It's like a next level DIPA version of Sea Hag. Thanks local beer guy, I'll never pass on this stuff again. Might be my new favorite CT DIPA

Had at Confetti restaurant in Plainville CT, Must have been on tap as I don't think they bottle. Have to say that for the first time I have tried this brewer, I was not impressed. Beer looked fine in the glass but had an off smell. The taste was bitter but not a good hoppy bitter. I may try again when I get back to CT as it may have been a bad keg or the restaurant mid-handled it.

4.17/5  rDev +6.6%

I really hope that I can find this regularly. Could easily be my go to beer. IMO this is the best canned beer in CT unless you include SoS. I'm not going to even count G-bot since its so damn hard to find and can't be found consistently.

I love this brew. Its nice and malty. Very bitter but with a nice balance unlike palate mallet (again my opinion, I know that many people love that brew). Its an interesting brew. Extremely hazy and will lace a glass like no other beer that I've had. There is a little citrus but the hop profile seems to lean towards a very resinous flavor that just works for me. The smell is cat piss. Doesn't bother me but not the brew's high point. Its very different than the actual flavor.

I've only been to firefly once and it was quite a while ago. I've found cans a few times and am always excited to see them. I think that this beer is seriously underrated, especially here apparently. Its a very different IIPA and for that I appreciate it even more. I've been drinking cans of this for the past few days now and very happy about it.

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

When I visited the brewery they did not have this one available. I was at Westbrook Lobster in Wallingford and to my surprise, they had it on tap. This one had the hops bite (bitterness) I love. I tried it 2 times, a week apart, as I tend to get wrapped up in the moment. liked it more the second time.

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Lucky Taco. Was excited to try this again after getting a mislabeled pour at a different pub few months back.

This is a great tasting double IPA. Great balance of strong hop bitterness and big flavor. Highly recommended to fans of other CT DIPA's like Ghandi-Bot or Palate Mallet.

4.7/5  rDev +20.2%

I Live in Bristol. Firefly is the best thing that ever happened to this city. Coneflakes is one of my favorite dipas. They just started canning it. Cant wait to grab a 4 pack. People who dont like this, Stick to your budwiser. This is a supreme beer that will always be hard to find because of how great it is. Cant wait to have another one!!

4.73/5  rDev +21%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely amazing beer to represent the signature "New England" IPA style
Bright glowing orange daisy color
Hazy visibility - My fingers aren't seen on the other side
Very juicy with sharp, hoppy bites
Piney undertones

I had it on draft and in can. The can was fresher and better.
This is a must have for New England beer lovers

Cone Flakes IIPA from Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.