Confectioner Series 002: Pistachio Gelato India Pale Ale

4.24/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.71/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

16 oz can poured into a shaker.

Appearance
Amber. Moderate haze. Short head dissipates quickly.

Nose
Caramel, toffee, nuts, and brown sugar.

Taste
Very nutty. Caramel, brown sugar, and toffee. Southern sweet tea.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, smooth, and sweet.

Overall
Nothing about this really says pistachio gelato...or IPA for that matter. It makes a decent amber ale though.

3.18/5  rDev -4.2%

I will readily cop to an unfamiliarity with this series, especially since I CANpletely missed out on Series 001. 8=( That said, I am always CANurious as the owners/proprietors/staff of The Beer & Beverage Shoppe in Lancaster, PA know quite well. I walk in & they begin to trot out all sorts of arrivals & other desirous beers. I happened to see three of this series & when I inquired as to the fourth, it was sold out. 8=( No matter! I'll take one of each of the other three for the advancement of The CANQuest (tm).

From the CAN: "Ale brewed with Pistachios, Lactose, and Vanilla".

I was REALLY curious as to what this one would bring, given the … shall we say "disappointment" of the previous two. These were NOT inexpensive CANs & I was a bit put off by their lack of value as I Crack!ed open the vent. I know that Lactose was an adjunct in this one, but that did NOT have to equate to "hazy". As such, I performed a slow, gentle C-Line Glug that produced just over two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head, but left the clarity intact. It slowly fell away, leaving some nice lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, forcing an early arrival from The Gelt Gang of Croesus, Midas & Mammon, all coming by later to watch the first round of the 2019 NHL Western CANference Finals later today. We are all big hockey fans here. Just sayin'. Nose smelled strongly of vanilla & while I was less than CANamored of it in the previous beer, this seemed to work in an AIPA. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was uncharacteristically sweet for the style, but it was a low-key, understated sweetness or I would have really hated it. The vanilla remained, there was a slight bitterness and underlying it all was a subtle nuttiness. I would have guessed peCANs (& not to be funny, either), had I not been aware that they used pistachios. I liked that downbeat interchange between the adjuncts and the other ingredients. It made for a mellow drink without any perceivable bitterness. Me, advocating for a lack of bitterness?!? Well, no, but given the early hour, it was just right. They must have used a toasted malt since it had a toasty breadiness that became more assertive as it warmed. Finish was semi-sweet, verging on semi-dry. Given the toastiness/breadiness & the nuttiness, I would have guessed an English IPA. I did not dislike this one as I did the previous one, but given its price point, I was NOT enamored of it!

Confectioner Series 002: Pistachio Gelato India Pale Ale from D9 Brewing Company