Das Schwarze | Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG

Added by stoutman on 10-25-2003

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

it was very very smooth

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A dark dunkel hop beer but the overall impression is a little bit disappointment.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.01/5  rDev -18.9%

3.28/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A very good schwarz German bier.

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.96/5  rDev +6.7%

500 ml swing top bottle

very dark brown, thin white head. nice chocolately aroma. milder taste, good balance of sweet and dry. medium bodied, silky body.

3.79/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.04/5  rDev +8.9%

3.57/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Dinkelacker's Das Schwarze last week for $3.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm in the mood for a Schwarzbier tonight and I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 500ml brown flip top bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok. it has a simple design to it and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a brown and mahogany color that takes on more of ruby and crimson color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of creamy slightly lighter tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking Schwarzbier, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the yeast being the first to show up and it imparts a fruity and slightly estery aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, caramel malt, caramel, slightly roasted, slight chocolate and light toffee like aromas with just a slight nutty aroma showing up in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, but i wish the roasted aspects showed up more.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the yeast still being the first the to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects from the aroma with the caramel and toffee aspects still sticking out the most and there's no nutty aspect this time. On the finish there's no bitterness with a little bit of sweetness taking it's place and it had a toffee and caramel malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Schwarzbier, but I wish more of those roasted aspects came through.

S- Smooth, fairly creamy, a little crisp, a little sweet, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a nice example of a Schwarzbier, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style, but when it came down it I found myself wishing that the roasted aspects weren't so covered up by the other aspects, but I thought the rest of this beer was pretty well done. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, fairly creamy, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention so one bottle is enough for me, I don't have any urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the mouthfeel and appearance, they were both good and they were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the roasted malt aspects were very restrained and I wish they showed up more. I don't think I would buy this again, but I wouldn't turn one down and I can't say I would recommend it as a great example of a Schwarzbier, but if you really like the style then it's worth trying. All in all I liked this beer but I didn't love it, it was solid, but it still needed some work. It's not my favorite beer from this brewery and i would say it's just little above average for the style. I think it's solid, but with a little more work it could be very nice, better luck next time guys.

4.09/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A lot lighter than it looks. Some chocolate sweetness that is nicely countered by dry a dryer finish. Very drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.89/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a dimpled mug.

Look: A black body with brown hues when held to the light. A nice cream colored head that retains a nice semi-thick film. Light lacing.

Aroma: Toasted bread, nuttiness, chocolate, toffee.

Taste: Very sweet to start with toffee really coming through. Toasted grains, sweet malts.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, very drinkable.

Overall: Really sweet, toasted. Great flavors.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 16.9 ounce Euro-brown bottle with one of those permanent closures that makes this desirable for home brew since it saves on caps. There's a lot number on the label but no freshness date.

A moderate pour produces a billowing 2 inch head that overflows the glass. This settles quickly but remains sticky across the top. The beer is a very dark reddish-brown when pierced with a mini maglight and appears almost black in normal light.

I get that unique, what I call a "minerally" aroma-flavor that I attribute to the brewing water. This flavor is very common in good German and lagers and some English beers as well, but is almost absent in American beers. It has a sort of metallic essence and I like it very much. The flavors are otherwise very malty, with notes of chocolate, dark fruit and black licorice. I'm NOT getting the charred flavors that I've experienced before with American examples of the style. There's some toasted bitterness there, but it's light, and just enough to balance the sweet malt flavors without overpowering them. The beer is light in body but with a creamy, full mouthfeel. The aftertaste lingers with various complexities suggesting oak and cherry.

I give this beer excellent marks, not only for it's complexity and drinkability but also its price- only 3-something for the bottle, which will be refilled many times with homebrew. Purchased at Hennessey Grocery in Butte, Montana.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

3.34/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark black in color and barely penetrable to light. Light Brussels lacing. A fingernail of khaki head covers less than a third of the top of the beer. I smell plenty of dark and sweet mat. There's a hint of smoke in the aroma. The taste is comprised of sweet,dark malt. The mouth is slightly sticky for a lager,but it is due to all of that dark,sweet malt.

Das Schwarze from Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG