Dinkelacker Oktoberfestbier Märzen | Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG

Liked:
3.58/5
Alströms:

3.29/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -7.8%

3.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.66/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Draft at horseshoe
Big fluffy creamy head, rich lacing, slight hazy copper brown colour

Nose toasted biscuity brown malt, little sweet malt, soft fruity lager notes, maybe hint of spice

Taste sweet candy malt caramel, biscuity, caramel apple lager fruit, soft lagering and fruit, little cinnamon like spice again, toasted candy malt, juicy malt

Mouth is med bod, decent carb

Overall not bad, not quite the same as the other good Oktoberfest beers from Germany, no reason to get this over almost any other choice

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

3.74/5  rDev +4.5%

Once more, my utmost thanks to tone77 for his outstanding tradesmanship. He (usually) lives locally and stops by Chez Woody with an armload of bottles & CANs for me which I exchange for a CANlection of CANs. Unfortunately, I have fallen behind, especially as bottles are concerned, leading to the Bottle Backlog. I am happy to be winnowing it down to something approaching manageability.

From the bottle: "Imported from Germany", plus a depiction of a buxom blonde in a dirndl hoisting a litre in her right hand.

I am coming to enjoy the Pop!, but it still does not have the auditory impact of a CAN's Crack! I have found a local artist who takes mine for jewelry, knick knacks & other homespun ideas, which is pretty cool. The beer was likewise cool, so I did a gentle Glug, followed by a swirl in the glass. This raised a brief finger of fizzy, tawny head that quickly fell back to wisps. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was bready, biscuity, lightly grassy. Warming, I even began to get a treacle/molasses scent. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, not outright thin, but barely in the medium range. The taste was really what I like from the style - slightly malty-sweet, very bready/biscuity with just enough grassy hops to balance it all out. Finish was semi-dry to dry. It really straddled the finish line (no real pun intended) as far as being outright dry or not & I default to not. If they are putting it in a CAN, then I want another!

3.43/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

3.08/5  rDev -14%

3.57/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of pale malt, Euro yeast, hint of sweet malt, hops, and slight caramel malt. Fits the style of a Marzen / Oktoberfest. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of pale malt, Euro yeast, hint of adjunct, hint of sweet malt, slight caramel malt, and a hint of hops. Overall, weak appearance, decent aroma, feel, and blend.

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a bronze color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit of malts. Taste is bready, malty, drinks almost more like a bock than a marzen. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a smooth and sessionable beer.

3.84/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 500ml can into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: dark amber-orange hue with no haze and a strong effervescence. Head is two fingers of frothy ivory foam which stick around a good long time -- very good indeed.

Smell: lightly sweet and lightly fruity with just a dash of toast. There's even a hint of banana in there, so you know I love it.

Taste: more of that sweet fruitiness from the aroma. There's a little caramel here, and it's nice for an Oktoberfest if a little bit on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a moderate carbonation and a decent creaminess. Not too bad.

Overall: if nothing else, it's a great-looking beer. Other than that, it's a straightforward Oktoberfest that's a bit on the sweet side but nonetheless rather tasty.

3.47/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The beer comes in a deep amber color.

The aroma hits of toasty malts, breadiness, spiciness.

The flavor follows with substantial breadiness, slightly sweet and toasty malts, a hint of spicy quality as the beer dries out.

A decent representation of the style, but a touch one dimensional and a hint sweet for a German version of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours brilliant tea brown with a slight red orange tint supporting a 1” cream colored moderately persistent foam stand. S: Clean lager nose with no fruit. Bready German malt with a light toast. No fruit, no caramel, no diacetyl or dark roast flavors. T: Clean lightly sweet lightly toasted malts, light spicy malt character, light bread, moderate hop bitterness, no hop flavor, no fruit, malt forward with long, rich bread after tastes. F: Very creamy, clean and smooth with medium body and carbonation. O: A very easy to drink Oktoberfest.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can. Poured a clear copper. A lighter style of Marzen. Soft Marzen nose. Easy Marzen flavor. Breads, slight caramel, soft yeast. Just a tiny bit of hop spice. Toasted bread. Very drinkable. I enjoyed this. Really becoming a big Marzen fan.

3.79/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Dinkelacker's Märzen a few days ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer and I've haven't heard of this brewery before and I thought I would give their Marzen a chance, so lets see how it goes. There were some numbers on the back, but I couldn't decode them. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into my Oktoberfest stein.

A- The label looks good, it goes nicely with the Oktoberfest season and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a real nice clear amber color that took one more of a brighter amber color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I really liked the color and head, but the lacing was lacking a little.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a fruity aroma being the first to show up and it imparts a apple juice and slight pear like aroma with a slight soapy aroma also coming through. Up next comes the malts which impart some sweet malt, bread crust, light caramel, light toasted and light grainy like aromas with just a little bit of clean lager yeast coming through. This beer had a decent aroma, but I thought it was a little unbalanced with too much fruity aromas.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's just a little lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of low sweetness with the fruits still being the first to show up and it's the apple juice that sticks out the most and it seems to be the flavor that sticks out the most. Up next comes the malts which are just a little lighter than they were in the aroma and they impart the same malty aspects with no single aspect seeming to sticking out the most. On the finish there was no bitterness with a apple juice and watery malt aftertaste. This was decent tasting Marzen, but it wasn't as balanced as I would like.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, fairly clean, pretty dry on the finish, a little watery, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but I wish it wasn't a little watery and I think it needs more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was just ok and I thought it was a decent example of the style, it had most of the flavors and aromas that I look for in the style, but that good balance just didn't show up and that's what holds this beer back from being a good example of the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little crisp, fairly clean, pretty dry on the finish, a little watery, not filling at all and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think one would be enough for me, the taste doesn't really make me want to come back for more. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, the color and head were really nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it was off and it lacked the balance that all the good examples of the style have. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's very easy for me to find a better example of the style and I can't say I would recommend it either. This didn't make for the best first impression for this brewery, but I would be interested in trying some more of their beers and I would say this one falls right in the middle as far as the style goes. I wasn't impressed with this one, I thought it was rough around the edges, better luck next time guys.

Dinkelacker Oktoberfestbier Märzen from Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG