Charlie Foxtrot

From:
Texian Brewing Company

Texas, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Charlie FoxtrotCharlie Foxtrot
Notes: Charlie Foxtrot is an "Imperial" Berliner Weisse brewed to combat the Texas heat. This sour wheat beer is tart and dry with citrus and peachy notes from the sour fermentation.
View: Beers
Reviews: 15 | Ratings: 118 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Tommo from Massachusetts

2.77/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The first time i had this, i thought it was a very nice berliner, sharp and tart. Every bottle since then has tasted like green apples. Its sour for sure, but it has this green apple taste that is overwhelming and i am unable to finish my glass of beer

Aug 07, 2017
Pegasus from Texas

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance: Deep, clear golden orange, with a modest, fine-beaded head, which retains well. Sheets of lacing drift down the glass walls. The carbonation is slight and slow-rising. The relatively high ABV of 7.5% is very well concealed, neither being notable in the aroma or taste, or in any warming felt.

Aroma: A tangy vinegar sourness dominates, cracker malt and apricot notes are present as well. I would expect a whiff of alcohol at an ABV of 7.5%, but none is noted.

Taste: Opens with piquant sourness, could be called vinegar-like. Notes of wheat and apricot rind manifest, but are definitely overshadowed by the sourness. The relatively high ABV of 7.5% is very well concealed, neither being notable in the taste, or in any warming felt. Finishes with the notable sourness, green apple rind and wheat malt,

Mouth feel: Full and soft, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Well-made, but a bit "over the top" for my taste. Still,the brewer's care is quite evident, and I am sure this would be welcome on a hot Texas summer day - or even an overly warm day in December. I wish I had some of the traditional raspberry syrup.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twenty-two ounce brown glass bomber with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Dec 26, 2016
Premo88 from Texas

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

22 oz. bomber poued into nonic
(reviewed on Oct. 2, 2016 at home)

L: murky brown orange ... bronze; little to no head of foam, perhaps up to 1/4-inch tall but not much more; foam is offwhite; has a distinctive "wheat" look

S: "clean" sour ... tart lemons, hint of biscuit malt sweetness; dusty dried apricot; abbey ale kind of dusty dried fruit

T: sour lemons sweetened on back end by apricot/peach; lemons are sweet enough at times to taste like lemonade; slight salinity; earthy dirt aftertaste peeks in for balance

F: midweight, ale slick, almost stout-like, more carbonation than the flat pour indicates

O: solid "sour", sweeter than the standard Berliner weissbier but not as if sugar has been added ... the use of malt gives this a lot of balance that makes it a bit easier to drink for the "sour" newbie, though the higher ABV is worth noting; good enough that I'll seek it out again

Dec 07, 2016
jngrizzaffi from Texas

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a very cloudy amber red color with a small carbonated head that quickly dissipates. Head retention is non-existent. Lacing is mild. Malty sour peach aroma. Can detect raisins and other dark fruits. Far more malty taste than I expect from a Berliner Weisse. I guess that is why they put "Imperial" ahead of it. Definitely get raisins and sour peach. Tartness is a little subdued. Medium bodied with low carbonation.

Jun 26, 2016
RaiderHawk from Texas

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

I won't get as technical as some here, but this is just a fantastic beer. Love the nose of the beer, the feel of it, and the flavor profile. The tart is just right, and the overall flavor just makes me darn happy. If you get a chance, and you dig on sour brew, check this out.

Sep 06, 2015
Jugs_McGhee from Oklahoma

3.31/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

BOTTLE: 22 fl oz. Brown glass. Unbranded white pry-off pressure cap. Simple generic label art and design.

Reviewed live as a Berliner weisse; the label's claim of "imperial" Berliner weisse is pretentious and dubious. Served cold into a pilsner glass at low altitude in Austin, TX. Acquired at a local bottle shop. Expectations are average given the brewery.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 2 fingers wide. White colour. Fairly soft, aptly thick, and somewhat creamy. Could be softer and fuller. Retention is average at best - maybe 2 minutes. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

BODY: Cloudy lemon-yellow with pale copper hues. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Looks appropriate for the style, but it's far from unique or special. Generally appealing.

AROMA: Hints of peach, light sourness (~2/10), citrus, fresh wheat, clean barley, a kiss of tartness, light apricot, and some lime.

Aromatic intensity is mild.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable. To its credit, it hides its ABV shockingly well; I'm accustomed to lower ABVs in Berliner weissbier but I don't notice the increased alcohol here at all. Evokes a surprisingly peach-emphatic refreshing brew.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Peach, apricot puree, clean barley, and fresh wheat. Mild citrus - primarily lemon. A kiss of green apple. The fruitiness works incredibly well in the Berliner weisse build, and I don't know that I've ever come across peach so well done in a beer of this style. The sourness is apt for the style - which is to say it's mild (maybe a 3/10 in terms of intensity). It has a clean refreshing feel on the palate, with a light body and apt smoothness and wetness. Well-carbonated, with a good presentation on the palate that complements the taste quite well.

The alcohol isn't noticeable at all; I'd buy that this was 5% if you told me so. Above average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour. It's more complex and subtle than many beers in the style, but could be more intricate. The peach is a stand-out note, and is exceptionally rare in a beer of this style.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes come through.

This texture complements the taste quite well but doesn't elevate the beer, and it's a biteen syrupy. I also find it a bit too thick, and its crisp almost biting overcarbonation does no favours to its drinkability. A softer more approachable feel would do wonders. What does work is its mild acidity.

OVERALL: Surprisingly drinkable for its unnoticeable high ABV, but nevertheless refreshing and enjoyable. A quality brew from Texian - a brewery to which I owe more attention - and one I'd easily get again. They can drop the whole "imperial" gimmick, and if they focus on fine-tuning this might even develop into a world-class offering. Well worth trying, and perhaps the second best Texan Berliner Weisse I've had (behind Austin Beerworks' Einhorn).

Low B-

Feb 06, 2015
brandoneast from Texas

4.6/5  rDev +17%

Poured into an oversized Chardonnay-style, Jester King stemware glass (not quite a TeKu). The color showcases banana and some hint of hazy orange with an eggshell head that falls rather quickly into a very thin ring.

Complex aromas of sour lemon pith, orange blossom flowers, musty attic, aged Noble hops and warm pie crust cascade from the glass. Taste is reminiscent of childhood sour candies: Lemonhead, Warheads and sugared orange jelly slices. Flavors of unripe peach, Australian water crackers and white wine vinegar are also present.

A sour Saison comes to mind here. I don't think this one could improve with a drizzle of traditional raspberry syrup as it has a toffee-like sweetness that helps to balance out the tart and sour flavors just slightly.

Strangely, the color settles into deeper hues that take on a lit lamp shade in a dim, warm room. Gradient of yellow to murky amber hug the glass. This is imperial stuff here as compared to traditionally executed the Berliner Weisse beers.

Dec 11, 2014
titty_mcbitty from Tennessee

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Hazy orange-golden color. Nice big bubbly head.

S: Smells yeasty with a lot of lemon zest.

T: Definitely lemon tart. Also yeast and clove, warheads, wet hay, and raspberries. Not as much of a "wheat" character which is nice.

M: Light and crisp. Bubbly.

O: Very pleased with this. Was afraid of it at first as I've never heard of the brewery and the locals down here aren't always the best. This was very nice though.

Oct 29, 2014
twiggamortis420 from Texas

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

22 oz bomber pours a hazed, rather dark gold color with a nice cap of dense off-white head. Excellent retention for a berliner.

Nose is mainly light malt and a lemony tartness. Not much else really, except for a sharp CO2 aroma. Surprised there is not more here.

Taste redeems itself quite nicely with a fair amount of sourness and lemon juice tartness. The malt is very light, as most berliners will attest to, but I figured the raised ABV of this would give it more malt character. The ABV is shockingly well integrated, I would have never guessed over 5 at the very most. Quite nice, albeit on the simplistic side.

Oct 24, 2014
Karibourgeois from Texas

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Very cloudy pale straw colored pour with a one-finger white head. Fairly strong lemony aroma. Taste is quite tart upfront with lemon, salt and a hint of yeast and wheat. Medium bodied. Finishes with a nice lingering sour lemon flavor.

Oct 10, 2014
Wayne17 from Texas

Released in bottles for this very first time! I grabbed 3. At a $6 price point for a bomber, I'm all in. It poured very murky and made me think of OJ that's gone bad haha! But honestly who cares how it looks, let's get to the tasting. The nose doesn't have many distinguishable aromas. I smell some clove like spice but nothing intriguing or off putting. The taste starts out nice and tart, and I actually get alot of the yeast characteristics (banana, clove, typical Hefe flavors). I like that I could pick out the subtle flavors, and it wasn't overly sour where your tongue get obliterated. (though I like a good tongue obliteration very much at time lol) then comes the disappointment...straight popcorn buttery diacetyl. The first few sips are very nice, but that creamy butter keeps creeping in and really killing it for me. I remember first trying this beer on a hot day at a beer fest months ago, and had remember enjoying it alot. I don't recall the off flavor before. I don't know if this is new to this batch or if it was always there and I don;t recall it. Either way I don't think i'll be going back to this particular beer much. Having said that I LOVE Texian brewery and have really enjoyed everything they have been doing. I plan to keep supporting them fully.

Jun 12, 2014
zander4dawin from Texas

2.33/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A murky apple cider appearance with no head and little to no smell. Taste is a lingering extreme bitterness that is rather over powering and I didn't find enjoyable. Overall I'd pass on this offering, sours are one of my favorite styles and this one just does not get the job done.

Apr 25, 2014
tpgraham from Texas

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Friend brought this over in a 32 oz growler from Premium Draught. To be honest this is my first exposure to this style and had wanted to try it for some time. One difference is that this is declared to be an imperial Berliner, as opposed to the more common, very sessionable beer that is out there.

A - Wow, this is possible the murkiest beer I have ever seen. Almost off-putting for sure.

S - Strong citrus nose up front. One has to wonder if this was the end of the keg maybe?

T - I understand that the Berliner s supposed to be a refreshing, highly drinkable beer. This imperial version has lemon sour finish that is very strong. I could not see myself drinking more than one of these.

M - Medium body. Does not finish with a refreshing "I want another sip" ending.

O - I will not use this as a real first impression for this style. While I thought the beer was okay I do not see myself going back to it.

Apr 08, 2014
goochpunch from Texas

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Comes to me served in a tumbler pint with a turbid yellow body and little head. I kind of like the overboard quantity of yeast in the appearance. Smell is strong on acid, with light, crackery grain. Flavor is full on acidity. I'll admit, this isn't the most complex beer around, but I enjoy the raw sourness. Flavor is heavy with wheat, which makes sense considering how massive the mash bill must be to bring it up to this abv. Mouthfeel is a bit thick for what I want in a Berliner Weiss. Overall, I enjoyed the tongue-burning acidity in this, but the high ABV doesn't make much sense. I'd love to pound something like this all day, but the high octane booze won't allow that. I had to take it way slower than I had hoped with this one.

Mar 31, 2014
champ103 from Texas

3.26/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at Hay Merchant, side by side with Saint Arnold Boiler Room.

A: Pours an incredibly milky, yeasty orange/yellow color. This is beyond hazed or cloudy, full on opaque yeast floaties. The half finger white head fizzles to nothing in a second and no lace.
S: A mineral like aroma up front, next comes a metallic/tinny aroma. Lemon zest, orange, and that is about it.
T: A mineral, salty flavor which, for the style I enjoy. Though I do get a metallic/tinny flavor that I am not a fan of. Though, that rip roaring, enamel shredding acidic sourness is what really gets to me even more. Wow, nothing else come through but sharp cutting acidity.
M/D: More medium body, with an effervescent bite. Though not nearly as clean as I would like. Nothing is very well defined here. While the alcohol is well hidden (behind acidity), I just don't get the 8% ABV tag here? Given that, the acidity makes this a slow sipper to begin with.

If all you want is enamel ripping sourness and acidic bite, than this is for you. Maybe this is an offering that will put Texian on the map. Though just not something I can drink a lot of. While, I love the refreshing simplicity of Boiler Room, this is similarly simplistic. Just so much more intensely acidic that it makes it hard to enjoy.

Mar 21, 2014