New Holland Ichabod Ale | New Holland Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002

Ratings: 1,581 |  Reviews: 557

1.75/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

"1 AROMA 2/10 APPEARANCE 1/5 TASTE 2/10 PALATE 1/5 OVERALL 4/20
samsmith33 (744) - - JAN 17, 2015
01/17/2015
Dead Last in 2014 Blind Tasting; need I say more. Brownish Yellow Color; Watery Feel. Not much aroma or Flavor.
2014 Pumpkin Double Blind Tasting: 1-Sam Adams Fat Jack.
2-Hoppin’ Frog.
12-Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin.
13-Dogfishhead (shocker)
14-Ichabod."

1.78/5  rDev -49.3%

This was a mixture of high's and low's for me. The appearamce was the strong point, with it's nice orangey/amber color and the off white fluffy head. After that, it went down the preverbial crapper. Just the thought of the taste and smell makes me cringe in horror. The smell was of old stinky feet and rancid puke. Seriously. I could find a little hint of some all spice in there, but it was then quickly bludgened to death by the horrid smell. The taste was quite similar, but the stinky crap was still there. If you drank it while you held your nose, it wasn't so bad, but I don't want to do that when I drink beer. I drink beer to taste and smell everything it has to offer, so I can fully enjoy it. The mouthfell was a little creamy, but still had the sting of carbonation. Again, this is some nasty stuff. I couldn't finish it, maybe it was a bad bottle, but it was horrid.

1.79/5  rDev -49%

Orangey amber colored body with a small whitish colored head. Poor retention, nice legs.

Smells and tastes a bit odd... Here's what I'm picking up;
Caramel malt, Munich malt, some odd dry biscuit malt, pumpkin flesh, tons of cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and a German lager type yeast on the finish... It gets better as it warms, but doesn't pull through in the end.

Odd chalky dry feel with a really dry bitter pumpkin and spice finish.

Overall-- let's be honest, I don't usually like pumpkin beers... But this one I find outright offensive.

1.86/5  rDev -47%

A - A nice orange look. Lots of carbonation. Looks like an average beer

S - Smells malty and like dirty socks.

T - Tastes like...beer. Not really any pumpkin flavor. Very disappointed as I was told this was to taste like pumpkin pie. It's actually pretty gross and not sweet at all

M - Just lots of carbonation. No feel on tongue at all from flavors.

D - I'd rather have Bud light

1.88/5  rDev -46.4%

Never had a pumpkin ale before. Here goes.

A: Dark, clear orange with a modest off white head. Decent sheets of lacing.

S: Spice is the first thing that hits you, then cinnamon, nutmeg and a little bit of pumpkin. There is a touch of bready malt lurking in the background, just barely enough to let you know this is still a beer.

T: Spice is the main thing you taste. Cinnamon and lots of nutmeg again. A little bit of pumpkin flavor comes through. Kind of like an odd spiced liquid pumpkin pie. There is a little bit of bitter and sourness at the backend. This hardly taste like beer to me, not sure if all pumpkin ales are like this or not so its hard to compare.

M: Lighter body. Pretty soft carbonation. It does feel very thin though, un-beer like.

D: Hmmm. Can't say that I want another one or that I even want to finish this one. Probably will though since I've never had one before.

Glad I only got one in a mix six. Pumpkin beers may not be my thing. I will definitely try a different kind in the future, maybe not this fall though.

1.92/5  rDev -45.3%

12 oz bottle, pours a deep reddish caramel color.

It smells like the forgot the cinnamon and instead got a load of pickling spice. Also some pumpkin and nutmeg.

It tastes more like cinnamon, cinnamon water. It was not a ver good beer, very watery. New Holland failed me here.

A little bland for me, just kind of blah

Appearance: Clear medium amber, rocky white head.

Smell: Sweet toasted malt, honey, and spices.

Taste: Ergh, too much cinnamon. Honey and nutmeg in the background, some hops bitterness, but mainly the overpowering cinnamon.

Mouthfeel: Light, with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not much.

Im really not sure how they can call this one a pumpkin beer. Aggressive pour leads to nearly no head. Smell had quite a bit of cinnamon which was pretty much the only taste that stuck out to me. Nearly no pumpkin taste which was disappointing given its a pumpkin beer.

2.09/5  rDev -40.5%

A-has a nice color and poured well
S-Doesnt have much of a smell. I was expecting something reminiscing of fall.
T-Doesnt taste like much. I didnt taste the spices or pumpkin.
M-Smell and Taste didnt do much, neither does the mouthfeel
D-Im pissed I spent $13 on a 6 pack of this stuff. Not good at all. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin is still the pumpkin beer to beat IMO.

2.25/5  rDev -35.9%