New Holland Ichabod Ale | New Holland Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002

Ratings: 1,581 |  Reviews: 557

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pumpkin and a lot of spices. Spice haters won't like it much.

I liked the taste.

Definitely would recommend to those who like pumpkin ales.

A good amount of cinnamon and nutmeg, which makes it a standout pumpkin ale.

Very less carbonation. Easy to drink.

Note - Pumpkin Ales are not for me. So it is a bit negatively biased review. But still scores well due to spices.

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Good looking amber orange beer with a foamy white head that leaves lacy bubbles on the glass.

S: Nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spices

T: Pumpkin pie spices and a little bit of alcohol. Good flavor that is quite drinkable IMO

M: Carbonation is medium and on point. The combination of carbonation with malts creams a sharp yet creamy feel which works out well with the flavor of the beer.

O: A notch above all of the other pumpkin beer 6 packs that I've tried. This beer is enjoyable and easy to drink. Tastes of pumpkin pie but not quite as strong as Southern Tier's Pumking. This would go well with any of the fall holidays or just as a good beer to get away from what you're used to.

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

2.77/5  rDev -21.1%

I picked up a bottle of New Holland's Ichabod Ale a couple days ago for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I have had this beer before, but I can't remember anything about it and since I'm on a quest to find a new favorite Pumpkin Ale I thought I would give this beer another try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date Fall 2012 release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it makes this beer stick out a little, it poured a nice hazy burnt orange color that took on more of a brighter dark orange color when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed til the end and left a little bit of lacing. This was an Ok looking beer the color was nice but there wasn't much lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a nice pumpkin pie like aroma, with some nice cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and some authentic smelling pumpkin, the spices don't seem to overpower the pumpkin aromas. After that I get a slight malty aroma followed by a little bit of brown sugar making the aroma a little on the sweet side. The aroma was nice and dominated by pumpkin pie, just what I would expect from this style, it works for me.

T- The taste doesn't seem to be that similar to the aroma, it starts off with a weak malt flavors that is grainy and slightly bready with a low amount of sweetness. After that comes a slight bit of spice with an even lighter amount of pumpkin that is barely noticeable. Towards the end I get some earthy and slightly spicy hops that impart a lighter amount of bitterness with a watery grainy and earthy hops aftertaste with just a little bit of spice. The flavor was pretty disappointing and weak with hardly any of that nice pumpkin pie aspect that I got in the aroma coming through, I'm not a fan.

M- Smooth, medium dry. watery. on the lighter side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty average, the carbonation was good but the body was just to thin and watery.

Overall I was let down with this beer and I thought it was a below average example of a Pumpkin Ale, This beer was going in the right direction, but when it got to the flavor it went down hill fast. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it went down fairly smooth, but there's no way that the flavors could hold my attention, one is more then enough for me, now way I would want another one. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it was full of nice pumpkin pie aromas and was pretty true to style. What I liked least about this beer was the taste, it was pretty bland and thin without those nice pumpkin pie aspects that I got in the aroma. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it just isn't a good example of the style and I wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone looking for a good Pumpkin Ale. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer, when it came to the taste it just didn't deliver, I'll have to pass on this beer. I was looking for a new favorite Pumpkin Ale, but it sure isn't going to be this one, better luck next time New Holland.

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

12 oz bottle poured into SA perfect pint glass

A: Nice bright clear orange color, with a head that starts out super frothy and leaves an initial curtain of lace on the glass, nice

S: I'm reviewing several pumpkin beers back to back, all I have to say is holy nutmeg, way too much, thats all I smell, its almost spearmint its so strong wow

T: Again, overwhelmed by nutmeg, just not for me, its so powerful thats all I taste...

M: Carbonation and body work well, I like slightly lower carb in this style to not emphasize the spices too much, body is medium to medium light, not sure if its the carb the ginger but its a little tingly

O: Meh...