New Holland Ichabod Ale | New Holland Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002

firstprev| 1526-1550 | 1551-1575 | 1576-1600  | next → last
Ratings: 1,596 |  Reviews: 562
2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

Appearance: A hazy golden with the faintest hue of peach. Thin fizzy white head with below average to poor retention. Thin lace persists, but does not cling to glass.

Smell: Singular. Ginger. You might convince me of clove or nutmeg, but mostly ginger. Absolutely no pumpkin to this nose.

Taste: Hmmm. Not what I would expect a PUMPKIN ale to taste like. Tastes more like a Budweiser with some spices. The pumpkin taste tries to creep in the aftertaste, but the wash of “fall spices” sends it back underneath the bland two row and into only the most optimistic of memories. Ginger, in a much overstated fashion, then clove and nutmeg, then cinnamon, then finally, maybe a taste of pumpkin. Disappointing. Get Smuttynose if you want to taste pumpkin in your ale. Get Bethlehem Brew Works if you want to taste Pumpkin Pie in your ale. Get this if you want to be let down and hypocritical of pumpkin and fruit/veggie ales in the future. Sad.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Thin, highly carbonated. Nowhere near as malty as it ought to have been. Not viscous enough, not balanced. Drinkable? It’s as drinkable as Natural Light. Meaning, easy to drink and somewhat difficult to enjoy.

4.07/5  rDev +14.3%

Light orange color is appropriate. Head is a little small but leaves a ring that laces a little. Very clear.

Aroma has a subtle combination of UK hops, malt, and nutmeg.

Sweetness up front is quickly replaced by a bold bitterness. The pumpkin taste only shows up for the aftertaste. This is like a really good pale ale with a little extra.

Mouthfeel is light-medium body. Smooth and lightly carbonated.

I just can't help smiling when I drink this beer.

From the bottle a dark orange in color with a good toasted bread colored head. Spicey aroma with notes of pine. Flavor is of subdued malt sweetness and assertive pumpkin pie spice. I admit I am a pumpkin beer fan, but I think most would find this enjoyable.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

I like this beer, and this is not my normal orderly review but this is not a normal orderly beer. It is great for the style. Very spicy, nutmeg, pumpkin scent. Sweet malt, spice taste with a dry hop, ginger, pepper finish. The pepper finish stays for a while. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with heavy carbination. I could drink a bunch of these. What a nice beer. I will buy these whenever they are available.

States right on the label that it's brewed with real pumpkin...we shall see.

Appearance: Pours orange-amber and crystal clear with a rocky white head.

Smell: Refreshing blend of light hops, spice, and flowery aroma.

Taste: Hop bitterness first, ginger, and cinnamon next then...it's done. WTF??? I didn't taste any pumpkin in there. Sip again...nope it's the same taste. I'm not picking up any pumpkin. To me, this tastes like a mild pale ale with a few spices thrown in as an after-thought.

Mouthfeel: Very light, crispy, and refreshing.

Drinkability and overall: Pretty light, quaffable brew. To quote Bono, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for". To me, this beer did NOT come as advertised. There is a lot of hype around here about New Holland Brewing. This beer did not live up to the hype. I wouldn't even consider this a good fall brew. Your time would be better served elsewhere.

2.54/5  rDev -28.7%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy medium orange color with three fingers of head. There is lots of lacing left on the glass. The smell is fairly spicy, but not too strong. Little hints of pumpkin and cinnamon aromas. The taste did not really live up to my expectations. It's fairly bland at first, not much maltiness or spice coming through. It has a very metallic finish to it. Rather odd. The mouthfeel isn't too bad, but the drinkability suffers due to the taste. It's not as bad as it could be, and I'd give it another shot someday.

1.78/5  rDev -50%

This was a mixture of high's and low's for me. The appearamce was the strong point, with it's nice orangey/amber color and the off white fluffy head. After that, it went down the preverbial crapper. Just the thought of the taste and smell makes me cringe in horror. The smell was of old stinky feet and rancid puke. Seriously. I could find a little hint of some all spice in there, but it was then quickly bludgened to death by the horrid smell. The taste was quite similar, but the stinky crap was still there. If you drank it while you held your nose, it wasn't so bad, but I don't want to do that when I drink beer. I drink beer to taste and smell everything it has to offer, so I can fully enjoy it. The mouthfell was a little creamy, but still had the sting of carbonation. Again, this is some nasty stuff. I couldn't finish it, maybe it was a bad bottle, but it was horrid.

2.99/5  rDev -16%

Watery, thin, pale, lacking in flavor, and washed out.

Fleshy yellowy-peach color with a mild off-white head. There's nothing "wrong" with the appearance, but a good pumpkin ale, I think, should have a deeper, richer color -- presumably to match its depth of flavor.

Pretty strong malty pale ale-like backbone with minimal spices, predominantly nutmeg. A little estery fruit flavor -- kind of a mish-mash of tropical fruits and pumpkin -- round it out. Tastes like poor store-bought pumpkin pie.

I prefer the real deal. Mediocre.

3.36/5  rDev -5.6%

Hazy orange color with a nice creamy off white head that leaves a nice lacing. Aroma of butter and mild pumpkin pie spices, a bit sweeter than I expected, light pumpkin pie flavors, but not over done, nice balanced, good spicy aftertaste, medium bodied with a slightly watery mouthfeel, one of the better pumpkin beers around.

3.61/5  rDev +1.4%

Nutmeg nose. Very "beery." New Holland does a surprisingly good job of INTEGRATING the pumpkin flavor into Ichabod Ale (instead of just laying it on thick and heavy). It tastes like pumpkin, but I don't think I would've known it on a blind taste test. The flavor's actually an odd mix between American wheat and amber ale.

This is certainly a beer to be paired with a fall dessert -- pumpkin pie, obviously, but pear tart or apple pie might also work very well. On its own, this brew is unsatiating. I appreciate that New Holland makes this a beer first (instead of a liquid pumpkin pie); the ability to ferment any residual sweetness and vegetativeness out the pumpkin while maintaining a light pumpkin flavor (helped greatly by the nutmeg nose) is commendable.

The medium/full body is fizzy and unpleasant at times.

Subtle. Subtle. Subtle.

Relax, relax.
ng

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: Deep golden color, lighter than other pumpkin beers I have tried.

Aroma: Pumpkin pie spices dominate, but also has a good malt backbone.

Taste: Dry spices in the front, with malt taking over through the finish. Somewhat tannic.

Mouthfeel: Tasty, but the tannic flavors gives a dry, unimpressive mouthfeel.

Drinkabilty: This beer needs more pumpkin flavor to be considered to the style, IMO.

3.29/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Brewed with Caravienne and Carapils malts. Cascade & Mt.Hood hops. Re-reviewed on 9-22-06
OG=1.065, 5.5% ABV, 15.40 IBU.

Finely cloudy peach colored brew pours with nary a head. This bottle must have had a leaky seal, as there was barely a "whoosh" as I opened it. Even with a vigorous pour, this barely achieves a flimsy soapy white head. There is no lacing to speak of. Carbonation is very mild. Aroma is predominately fruity and grainy vienna or munich malt tempered by a strong note of ginger, and more subtle nutmeg, cumin and cinnamon. Taste is decent for a pumpkin brew, not usually being a fan. There is a strong touch of the spices mentioned above, with a banana baby food sweetness rounding it out. There is a subtle touch of hop spice towards the end with a hint of bitterness. The mouthfeel is nice, with a watery crispness and medium body. Towards the end, there is a touch of toasted graininess.

Overall, an average pumpkin ale. I wouldn't drink more than one of these of these in a row, as the spices are quite palate-fatiguing.

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Particle-laden yellow with a rapidly fading white cap.
Spiced nose of pumpkin, ginger and cinnamon. with a crust-like pale maltiness and sour tinges.
Flavor enters with a dry, pils-like maltiness. It's quickly brushed aside in favor of the promised ginger and cinnamon. Sourness hints at pumpkin pulp but also lime juice. Not much to speak of otherwise. Hopping is negliable.
Thin bodied and could have been a refreshing Autumn quaffer. Its well-spiced (but not overdone) nature is appealing. The sourness is not. Nor is the lack of malt and hop depth.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a pumpkin beer fan. But even objectively, this is miles from special.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a hazy amber with a white head that settles on the surface. Aroma consists of fleshy pumpkin, malt, damp hay, nutmeg, clove and a hint of cinnamon. Medium-bodied mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Taste consists of pumpkin with a chewy bready malt front. The middle introduces a nice balance of bitterness from Cascade and Mt. Hood hops. A nice spice-flavored finish of clove and nutmeg close things out.

As far as pumpkin beers go, this isn't half bad. Definitely something you have to be in the mood for (which I was). Not sure if I could drink this on a regular basis, but Ichabod is pretty good for a Autumn offering.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Color is a dark pale squash-like yellow, how fitting, head is small, loose and white, fading very fast, leaves minimal lace. Smell reminds me of fresh squash and pumpkin guts, but faintly, not all that aromatic, but is complexingly nice. Some lighter mild and dull fruits are more so in the smell with some dried light lemon, tomato, melon, yellow pepper, and nutmeg noted. Nice mild vegetable spiced nose. Taste is intreging and mildly spiced with various vegetable and fruitish qualities, balanced well with cracker like malts and a moderate little hop bite. Subtle flavors intice alot of garden memories with tomato, a touch of dull lemon, a bit of squash and pumpkin, mild spice, cinnamon, mild pepper, & nutmeg, actually it kinda reminds me of old ketchup, just not as thick of course. Feel is lighter then medium, clean and fresh with a super quick and crisp finish with some mild and dull spices lingering. I actually liked the little nuances this had, the subtlites are quite nice, every sip brought out something a bit different then the last. A nice refreshingly spiced little beer.

Thanks goes to my neighbor who travels to Michigan every now and then to visit family and just happens to think of me when at the liquor stores. Thanks Rebecca!

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer poured an amber, almost pumpkin-like color. The body was cloudy and the head was lacking. This really does taste like autumn in a glass. Pumpkin flavor is there and the spices, which are cinnamon and nutmeg, mix well with the pumpkin flavor. The flavor isn't too strong and this still tastes like a beer. Great job blending the flavors together by New Holland.

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Originally sampled on 11 January 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. This one surprised me. I had another brewer"s pumpkin beer a few years back and hated it. However, Ichabod is very nicely done. The pumpkin is well balanced w/ the malt & hops. It"s a hazy amber color w/ a huge, long lasting head.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

While Iam not a pumpkin pie fan,I haved enjoyed alot of the pumpkin ales I have had,I really enjoyed cottonwoods pumpkin ale down in NC.This one however fell a little flat,poured a nice deep orange color with pretty decent sized head,smell was not strong enough for me some hint of spices but not rich enough for me.Some spiceness and a very faint pumpkin taste just kinda left me wondering where the rest of it was.I'll be sure not to seek this out when Iam back in Michigan.

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured with no head at all. Tasted of allspice and nutmeg. Spices are more subtle than the Buffalo's Bill Pumpkin Ale I tasted. Do I detect some hops cutting through? I got this beer out of a kind of fascination similar to gawking at car accidents. Sometimes pumpkin ale can be truly horrible. This one doesn't seem to be one of the basket cases, it is quite drinkable. Still I wouldn't buy a case, one or two would satisfy the curious.

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

Reddish orange. No head or lace. Smells like raw pumpkin, together with some of the stem and vine thrown in. Pale sweetness initiates a complex of green squash, pie crust and cumin flavors. A delicate if awkward balance overall. Finish is dry and absent of grit or metal.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A pumpkin ale that is not overpowered, nor oversweetened by the pumpkin taste. I actually tasted malt and hops along with a slight pumpkin taste that blended quite well in the mix. Good stuff. Some pumpkin ales are "overspiced". This one isn't.

firstprev| 1526-1550 | 1551-1575 | 1576-1600  | next → last