New Holland Zoomer Wit | New Holland Brewing Company

Style: Witbier

Availability: Summer

Added by Mitchster on 08-28-2002

1.33/5  rDev -60.3%

12 ounce bottle. This beer pours out a pale yellow color. Terrible aroma of burnt plastic, citrus, and soap. One of the foulest odors I've ever experienced in a beer. The flavor is little better. A dishsoap lemon flavor that is quite bitter. Some spices too. I can't taste any beer flavors in this swill. I did my best, but this was a drain pour after about a third of the bottle. I would attribute this atrocity to a lack of freshness, but I've never had a problem with old beer at the store where I bought it. Avoid this beer.

1.92/5  rDev -42.7%

12 ounce bottle. New Labeling.
Cloudiest wheat beer I've seen. Murky yellow with quickley disappearing white head leaving little lace. Smell was not very good. Bready and skunky. Taste was sour wheat. Not at all what I expected for flavor or aroma. Mouthfeel was nt very good. Couldn't wait to finish this one.

2.02/5  rDev -39.7%

Yellow color with a white head. Strange smell, though vibrant aroma, with major hints of butter toffee (possibly diacetyl), with light spicing. Light body. Relatively no spice flavor, just overloaded with sour fruit. Poor yeast character. Blah, not good.

2.03/5  rDev -39.4%

I just flat out didn't like this beer. It poured a cloudy yellow with a white head.

The aroma smelled like a souped up pilsner with with a little bit of citrus aroma.

The flavor was light and lemony buy it is a very generic flavor and not very good. Mild spiciness.

The mouthfeel is light/medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is not a very drinkable beer. Maybe because I have been fed Oberon all these years.

2.04/5  rDev -39.1%

2.1/5  rDev -37.3%

I think this beer may have been an old bottle or maybe a bad batch. I'm almost sure that this beer shouldn't have been as bad as it was. I like most Wit beers but this one fell through the cracks for me. It's almost tasted sour, and nowhere near as refreshing as it should have been. Anyway this brew was a cloudy yellow color, with a lot of lively bubbles in it that tingle your mouth.

2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearance - Cloudy orange/yellow color, a four finger head that goes away pretty quickly.

Smell - To be honest, smells more like a less-than-strong house cleaner, not much to it.

Taste - Average, lacks body, too lemony. However, still better than most macrobrews.

Mouthfeel - average, very carbonated.

Drinkability - Not something I would buy again.

2.35/5  rDev -29.9%

Live Review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle purchased as a single from Cost Plus World Market in Mentor, Ohio into my Brewery Ommegang Witte glass.

A Minimally cloudy but translucent straw yellow body under a moderate 1 cm fluffy white but short lived head that sticks around for about 30 seconds. Basic look really. 3.0

S Light wheat, nothing remarkable here. 3.0

T A lager-esque grainy barley taste dominates over a background of the wheat taste that I expected. I do not like how this tastes. The lager like barley taste lingers too long as well. 2.0

M Moderate with that tangy lager like taste and not very smooth like I like Witbiers to be. 2.5

D Well not that good since I was really not impressed with the taste. 2.0

Notes: My first New Holland dissappointment from a brewery whose beers I have really liked in the past.

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Zoomer's label TOTALLY reminds me of relaxing summer days. The beach chair, the colors. It totally speaks to me. What's inside the bottle though doesn't so much. A citrus and slight doughy wheat aroma had me expecting a bit more in it's taste (especially after digging the Mad Hatter) but it is too light. I have a problem with Wit's when they seem really watered down and try to make up with it with too much "summer" flavoring. The taste here is that of reconstituted Lemon juice being dumped into a bottle of Peligrino something. Don't get me wrong I find a glass of mineral water with a slice of lemon effervescent and refreshing, but dammit, I'm drinking a beer not sitting in a kitchen and discussing next year's family reunion plans with my Aunt Eleanor.

2.53/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Zoomer Wit: Pours an extremely cloudy, dirty yellow. Vigorous pouring does little to produce a head. Very sweet, citrus aromas of oranges and lemons. The taste is sharply bitter, not hops bitter, more like lemon peel bitter. Very citrus-y, not completely unpleasant, but not a beer one would normally enjoy in November. Spicy bubbles, not very smooth. Feh.

2.59/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance - fills up the glass with four fingers of off-white foam. The bottle swirling adds some cloudiness to the lemon yellow beer, and there's still an impressive yeast ring left at the bottom of the bottle. The head forms up higher than the glass by about one finger, then slowly falls back.

Aroma - fresh grain, light yeast. A little on the plain side but it does smell fresh.

Taste - the tanginess hits before anything else. Tart, lemony. With the yeast it almost emulates that sour funk that I don't care for, but it doesn't quite get there. Some wheat character shows up but its on the downward side of the taste. Finishes with a sour lemon rind flavor. Not to my personal liking.

Mouthfeel - light smoothness, lots of carbonation, a lighter feeling beer.

Drinkability - in short, not for me.

2.62/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured into a larged bowled wheat glass from a 12oz. long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap.

Hazy,straw/yellowy/lt. golden color looked different from top to bottom of glass.A slight white head dissapated very quickly to almost nothing. Very little carbination just some spotty lacing from swirling the glass.

Very clean aroma,slight citrus with very light doughyness and very slight wheat aromas.

Very clean taste,watery with a good crisp citrus peel finish. The finish was the best part of the beer, very bland overall.

Light and tangy mouthfeel. Refreshing easy to drink,lacking in taste, not enough here to make me want to keep drinking it.

2.68/5  rDev -20%

Very pale unfiltered orange yellow blandness. Clean head with sporadic carbonation bubbles arising. Fluffy and white with good retention.

Light wheat aromas with a git of grassy lemon and hints of clove. Yeast forward esters.

Thin and not very flavorful. Yet easily drinkable on a 90 degree day like today. Highly carbonated with a prickly, acidic somewhat acrid aftertaste. Lemon, yeast, wheat and watery.

2.96/5  rDev -11.6%

Notes from Aug 23, 2008
A pale, hazy,straw color with a minimal head of white foam. Kind of a Citrusy hop aroma with some lemon/orange zest,yeast and biscuts. Flavor ? well I just do not care for what is going on here,a little too fruity for me folks,too trart,nice try but misses the mark.New Holland makes some very good products but I'll pass on this one next time,, just not my thing.

2.98/5  rDev -11%

Pours a hazy hay, banana peel yellow. Light to nonexistant bubbling and head retention. The aroma is a lightly spicey cuboard of lager like wit. The flavor is very lagery for a wheat ale. A little sweat sockey with some old yeast and real pale malts. Hints of herbs undefined to my palate. Refreshing, but not terribly flavorful.

2.98/5  rDev -11%

Poured a hazy yellow with a small head with lttle retention. There was hardly and lacing at all left on the glass. It smelled of wheat and some spiciness from the yeast. There were also some notes on citrus. The smell was very faint though and I felt that I had to work for it a bit too much. This beer tasted kind of like an average tasting wheat beer to me. There was some citrus and spice notes. The mouthfeel was pretty light, carbonation was okay, and it went down decently smooth. This beer was decently drinkable. I think it would go pretty good on a hot day at the beach. There wasn't too much about this beer that really stood out to me too much, but I think I would try it again.

Originally reviewed on August 15, 2006. 12 Oz Bottle. Aroma of light green apples and tart metallic lemon water. Hints of grass and grain. Pour of hazed lemon yellow. Head of rocky white. Flavor is a rich and incredibly sweet malt sugar. Attenuation? Carbonation seems a little light. Phenolic edges over sweet alcohols in a corn syrup solution. Wheat character seems low for this beer. Smacks with grainy hop edges in old grassy fields, maybe a little parching and strong. Sickly flavor in the end. Smacks too sweet. Overall, mediocre. This is classified as a Wit? Wow, it really missed the boat on that.

I got some of this with my pizza at the local pub ( this past summer...this is a retrospective review based on a vivid bad memory.... I know this is February, cut me some slack ). It came in a pint glass and looked kinda thin and yellow. The head up and left without so much as a goodbye. Where is the wheat? Light on the lace. Really not all that appealing in the looks department.

The smell was in there. I can't really say it smelled like much of anything except some yeast and malt and witbierness. Wheat and banana. Slight bit of orange rind in there somewhere.

The taste was just alright. I didn't feel like jumping up and flipping out of my chair like I do with some of the brews that I have tasted. It is not bad but it just doesn't do it for me. Too light I think. It came off like a watered down wheat brew. Plain and simple. I could see where it could be construed as being refreshing for the summer.

12 ounce bottle poured into a weizen glass yields a hazy straw-gold body with a puff of white foam that reduces to a bubbly sheet

Smell is wheaty and herbal with yeasty bread notes and a whiff of citrus.

Taste is nutty and wheaty with brief mellow bitterness and a little tanginess in the finish.

Light-bodied with a tingle of carbonation. Easy to drink.

New Holland Zoomer Wit from New Holland Brewing Company