New Holland Imperial Hatter | New Holland Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by SupaCelt on 07-20-2005

1.5/5  rDev -60.9%

2.31/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a tulip with very little head, but some lacing. The reddish brown, cloudy beer smelled spicy and a little sweet. The taste is also spicy and a bit hoppy. The taste is almost sour. It's kind of thick, a little carbonation. I couldn't drink very much of this. I usually really like New Hollands offerings.

2.38/5  rDev -38%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. 2010 vintage, thanks to my buddy for this gift!

Pours a quite dark and muddy brown with a very small white head with very little lacing. Nose is almost like a barleywine, it's quite malty and sweet with more of an earthy/grassy hop note, but it's subtle - based on the nose this isn't a hop bomb, in fact I almost get some chocolate on the nose.

Taste brings it much more into the IIPA range, it's quite sharp, bitter and astringent. The malt is there and it's quite sweet, almost like 90min IPA or even, as I said earlier, like a heavy barleywine. Mouthfeel is a bit thick and syrupy, somewhat low carbonation and a slightly astringent finish.

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

2.67/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured into a tulip. Appears a dark caramel color with orange hints. Has a below average white head, minimal lacing, and the head dissipates quickly.

Nose is very sweet. Caramel and sweet bready malts. The label says bitter with grapefruit notes, but i'm not getting it. Disappointing. Taste is more bitter, but the finish is just straight bitter, not much going on.

Mouthfeel is heavy and very sticky. Average carbonation. Overall, I was disappointed, hoping for more out of this. Not complex at all, and not interesting to me...

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

Bottle: Poured a slightly hazy dirty orangey color ale with a small foamy head with OK retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt base with light floral hops. Taste is too sweet for the style with some floral hops though not as much as expected. Body is above average with medium carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I found that this was way too sweet for the style and not enough hops presence - bottle has been kept in fridge since I received it though I wonder if this was maybe a bit too aged.

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

22oz bottle purchased for $5. Unfortunately it was bottled in May, not sure why they sent three month old beer for their first foray into Colorado nor shy I bought it. Dark orange, almost amber. Smells like dead hops, stale. Tastes like alcohol, malt and stale hops. Pretty disappointing.

2.77/5  rDev -27.9%

Vintage 2011 - I have no idea when this was bottled, but I bought it with a New Holland rep present, so...

Clear, dark reddish copper colored body with a creamy off-white head that settles as a patchy sheet. Spotty lace. Dark citrus, sweet bread, caramel malt, pine, apple, mild chocolate, subtle booze...not bad as far as aromas go, but not what a DIPA should be. Flavors of black tea, vague orange and peach, with some dark pine resin. It just doesn't seem as fresh as it should be, but I'm confused as to whether this is year round, seasonal, or what? A little better than medium bodied with appropriate carbonation and a solid trailing bitterness. Again, it's not terrible as a beer, but it's very far from the numerous great examples of the style. The fact that a brewery rep sold me on it and it says "Vintage 2011" and nothing else...maybe they brew it once a year? I don't know. Nothing special...

2.82/5  rDev -26.6%

Got this one at a beer shop in OH. 2010 vintage, 12oz bottle...

A: An agressive pour yields a murky medium copper color that has a 1 inch tan head that fades at a decent pace, but never completely disappears. Good.

S: I can smell this one from the table. A nice piney hop blended with a sugary malt, and blended perfectly! Some citrus / grapefruit appears in the middle and some toffee hidden on the backend. Very good!

T: Wow, how did this one fail? After the scent, I was so excited. A strange boozy mess. I get booze upfront with a bitter dry, unflavorful hop and some caramel on the backend. A very odd blend of flavors. What is their brew trying to do? Eh.

M: Medium body with a heavy carbonation. A very dry finish. Ok.

O: All in all, this is not a good example of a DIPA. It seems like this beer is confused on what it wants to be. Smelled great, tasted confused. An odd blend of booze, IPA, and barleywine. Don't both about this one at all.

2.93/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear amber with a 2 finger off white head that took a minute to dissipate. Left a tiny bit of lacing behind. Smells a of some caramel malt up front, wit ha bit of grapefruit, and a tiny bit of pine. Not the best smelling iipa, but not the worst.

Eh, flavor is all over the place. Has some bright notes, but some weird notes as well. Has a good bit of sweet malt flavors, more than I prefer in the style. Hop profile touches on grapefruit and pine mostly, with not enough citrus or tropical fruit. Finishes slightly medicinal, and I get a bit of a band aid flavor from it. All over the place.

2.96/5  rDev -22.9%

... made a trip up to NC a few weeks ago and had to visit "Bruisin' Ales". Good store, but I'm not sure of third best in world. Anyway... picked this up and honestly, I'm not too crazy about it.

A - Deep copper color and very clear

S - Hoppy, but not very bright, also picking up some diacetyle I think - something dense in there.

T - not a fan, I'm missing the bright/citrus hops I love so much. Also, alcohol is NOT very well blended/disguised. At the end of every sip I get a huge rush of ethyl alcohol - not very pleasing.

M - meh...

D - If you don't mind the burn (and I think I'm growing numb to it as I type), it might be alright, although at 9%+, I don't think you would want to drink to many of these at once.

New Holland Imperial Hatter from New Holland Brewing Company