New Holland Imperial Hatter | New Holland Brewing Company

newhollandbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by SupaCelt on 07-20-2005

4.74/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2011 vintage

A- big enough tulip for a big enough head. Glowing murky reddish orange body topped by a beautiful bubbling beige monstrosity that looks like creamy foamed liquid hop saliva. Righteous swirly lace. Under the cap it says "lust". Very fitting indeed.

S- the aroma profile here fits my ideal for a double ipa: 1) a background of marshmallowy vanilla cookie toffee malt and 2) resinous earthy deeply musky hops. Everything else from there can be variable. Luckily, this one is on the outer space positive end of the spectrum. Earthy damp and mushroomy, sweet sugar cookie, beer saturated grapefruit and a red meaty quality. Alcoholic fumes with undertones of mango and passion fruit.

T- that whole ideal standard that I mentioned in the aroma translates well here. A little drier and less sweet than led to believe but that's perfect as too much sweetness can ruin my day. Ballsy hop character laid over that marshmallow toffee cookie malt. White grapefruit, pineapple, bitter orange, like leaves, pine, glory. Finishes long and bitter with tingling alpha acids.

MF- softly carbonated and succulent bodied with a slipperiness on the palate that goes on forever along with the impression of tannic dryness. This beer feels oak aged.

D- bomb ass imperial with old cracked out cracky on the label. Very pleased with this one. I give it a 10 out of 6.

4.09/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Until trying Imperial Hatter I had never had an IPA that was specifically marketed as aged by the brewery and sold in that fashion. That being said I may judge this beer too harshly because I almost feel as if I was expecting something other than what this beer delivered, while at the same time having no idea what to really expect other than that over time the bitterness of hops mellows and in some cases becomes more fruity and sweet.

In the case of Imperial Hatter I feel like I got a taste that was very much a dark fruit sensation. Specifically I though of raisins. There was a pungent taste that was unexpectedly pleasing and even now I am honestly not truly sure what my impressions of the beer should be.

Based upon the notes I have in front of me I would say that I did enjoy this beer, however I certainly need more experience with ages ales.

I gave it a personal score of 7.8/10

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: A nice transparent amber color, a little finger of off white head at the top the left quickly, not to much lacing.

S: Very hoppy nose, grapefruit is very present, a slight hint of honey as well.

T: The taste is almost just like the nose, very bitter up front from the hops, little bit of sweetness and the booze is present.

M:Medium bodied, with a sticky backbone, a good amount of carbonation.

O: Not a bad IPA, glad I was able to try it at least once, nothing wild, refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.16/5  rDev +8.9%

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The orange amber colored body was clear, and the pour formed three ginger thick head. The carbonation looked subdued. The aroma was very tropical, with mango, peach, and papaya smells. There were also spicy and herbal notes in the nose. The taste was quite intense, as the spicy hops battled with the very sweet malt base. The result was not unlike sucking on a cinnamon flavored red hot. The alcohol was very warming as well, and the mouthfeel was sticky. This was a typical east coast style DIPA, with complex malt bill, lots of herbal hops, but no bracing bitterness.

New Holland Imperial Hatter from New Holland Brewing Company