Oak Aged Mad Hatter India Pale Ale | New Holland Brewing Company

newhollandbrew.com

Style: American IPA

Added by RedHaze on 12-26-2005

3.56/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.72/5  rDev +0.3%

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

3.28/5  rDev -11.6%

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

3.52/5  rDev -5.1%

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

3.52/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance - 3.5/5
A moderately clear orange-brown color. Medium amount of head (bottle was a gusher though, so head died down to minimal within a few minutes). Can see a moderate amount of smallish carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Overall, a nice look.

Smell - 4/5
Hops (citrus?), some deep malty sweetness, maybe some bourbon or molasses...some kind of thicker sweet smell. I liked the smell

Taste - 3.5/5
A sweet bourbon-molasses-vanilla flavor, (I assume this comes from the oak-aged barrel), combined with some citrus-pine hops and perhaps some maltiness. Not really my kind of beer, but it was an interesting taste. Leaves a not-so-pleasant hoppy aftertaste in the mouth.

Mouthfeel - 3/5
Medium-heavy in body, a little bit creamy. Carbonation is light. I felt like this beer should have been a little lighter in body. It felt way to thick to me. Also felt syrupy.

Overall - 3.25/5
I was less than thrilled by this beer. Yeah, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't really that great either. Not something I would get again. In general, while I like New Holland a lot, I am always disappointed by their Hatter beers. For only $5, it was worth trying once.

1.2/5  rDev -67.7%

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

3.46/5  rDev -6.7%

Very hoppy aroma. The flavor is unfortunately underwhelming. Slight citrus character and dryness. Slightly herbal hop flavor. Medium bodied. No perceivable oak flavor.

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

My wife bought me a bomber of this. I probably wouldn't have tried it otherwise. I mean, an oak aged IPA? So, okay. I gave it a good pour into a snifter just to give it a good chance. Appearance was nice, amber, clear, good head, moderate lacing. First sniff was full of caramel. So was the second, and I hate caramelly pale ales. Bad sign. But first taste was okay--lots of caramel but it was tempered by oak and hops, even if both were somewhat subdued. Not a lot of complexity, as in NONE, but not bad either. Body is fairly light, except for the heavy caramel that sticks to your tongue, and carbonation leans a little high, which, thank god, cuts the caramel. Overall? Better than I expected. But I won't be seeking it out again.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%