Mad Hatter India Pale Ale | New Holland Brewing Company

Mad Hatter India Pale AleMad Hatter India Pale Ale

New Holland Brewing Company
newhollandbrew.com

Style: American IPA

"Reimagined" for 2015. ABV increased to 7.0%. IBU's at 55. Also a slightly different hop profile, Citra, Michigan grown Cascade, and Centennial hops.

Added by Todd on 03-02-2002

Ratings: 2,138 |  Reviews: 793
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.91/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle in to one of the fancy pint glasses

Nice redish orange color , 1 finger head that lingered with spotty lacing that sticks to the glass through out the beer

Not a hoppy smell to me , almost a candy type smell , not to sweet but enough to make you want a drink of it , the small hop aroma comes in at the end

Nice mouth full with great carbonation

The taste is bitter , the hops nor the malt really comes straight through to me , it reminds me of a home brew I made using belgium candy sugar, I mean Im sure its not in this beer but it reminds me of that. I like it for what it is , not a typical IPA , but an enjoyable beer that I would purchase again

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%

Had in cask in a pint glass at Pinocchio's in Media PA.

2 finger head with pretty solid lacing that remained throughout the drinking.
Caramel colored, a bit dark for a typical IPA but not too brown.

It smelled quite hoppy and floral.
It also had a very dry taste from the Centennial hops which were very evident on the back of the tongue.
Also quite floral but minimal citrus flavoring and I didn't catch any pine at all.

The mouthfeel was quite weak, almost flat to some degree, this I assume due to being served in cask. Despite this weakness I believe the flavor of the IPA was good enough to merit a 3.5 overall because it's saved by the dry hoppiness.

Try it if you get a chance.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.05/5  rDev +6%

Overall a good tasting ale, my first experience with craft beer in many years. Adding the bottle to my new collection. A start on my journey and appreciation of beer, mass produced and craft. Took this a shot in the dark as a single in the grocery store.

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Pours a bright amber. Head is white with good retention and great lacing.

S - Relatively faint, but typical American IPA. Slight caramel malt aroma with American hops leaning towards floral/pine than grapefruit.

T - Flavor is much brighter and more complex than aroma. Starts with malt sweetness with a nice mid palate transition to hop bitterness. Very long finish, but is not cloyingly bitter.

M - Medium body with nice compliment of carbonation.

O - Not that there is a shortage of American IPAs, but a good version that is wont disappoint. Only lacked real strong aroma.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

A- Slight hazy amber/copper color. Good head retention and solid lacing. Dissipated into a nice creamy foam.

S- Bready maltiness. Not too much hops up front which surprised me a bit. A bit of spicy earthiness comes through.

T- A bit malty which again, surprised me as I was hoping for a bit more from this seeing as I've heard such good things about this beer. Not so much floral compared to the sort of spicy bitterness I was getting.

M- Pretty much what you would expect from a beer of this type. Although it seemed a tad bit undercarbonated, which lended a sort of smoothness to it. But undercarbonated nonetheless. I enjoy hoppy delicious bubbles dancing on my tongue!

O- Somewhat disappointing. Certainly didn't live up to the billing although I was still grateful to be able to sample this. If you have other options, pass this one up. You won't be missing much.

3.67/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a hazy copper color with apricot highlights and a fleeting one inch cream head that dissipates quickly.

Soapy, floral hops and citrus begin the aroma. Bready caramel malt is at the finish. Grapefruit and tangerine mingle with herbal hops.

Toasted breadcrust forms the backbone of the flavor profile, with a fairly bitter finish closing things. Floral hops and grapefruit pith add intrigue. The balance is decidedly bitter and floral.

Body is moderate, with moderate carbonation and a touch of astringency.

Overall, more malty than some. Lacks the citrus flavor promised in the aroma.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Try Before You Die" -- #11 of the ones I've reviewed.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this one -- I went in not expecting a tremendous amount and ended up really enjoying it. Pours a very appealing dark golden brown with a fluffy head. The nose is a very light citrus, which doesn't accurately signal at all the intensely citrusy flavors -- I've had hoppier IPAs, and bitterer IPAs (and frankly better IPAs) but I don't think I've ever had a IPA quite as *citrusy* as this one turned out to be. In my beer-drinking experience, anyway, it's rather unique.

It has a light mouthfeel, which I'm of two minds about -- on the one hand I'd probably appreciate something a little weightier, but on the other hand maybe the body had to be this light to contain the citrus flavors.

Probably more refreshing in the summer than when I'm drinking it (before Xmas), but quite a nice beer, I think, somewhat unusual for the style.

Mad Hatter India Pale Ale from New Holland Brewing Company