Dragon's Milk Reserve - Orange Chocolate

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: Roasty notes of Dragon’s Milk blended with the zestiness of real orange peel and the richness of cocoa.
Reviews: 34 | Ratings: 110 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by RollDamnTide:
2.84/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

3.01/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Typical Dragon's Milk pour... nearly black with 1.5 fingers of brown head. Nice ring of lacing.

S: Overpowering orange... very light chocolate in the background.

T/F: Again just overpowering with the orange... tastes like one of those nasty orange cream chocolates that you get in a box of Russel Stovers. Totally dominates the beer.. chocolate is more muted... not picking up any bourbon or vanilla at all. Medium bodied... actually worse as it warms.

O: Just awful... I usually love the Dragon's Milk variants but to me this is just 'bad pie'. 3 more bottles... egad...

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Looks dark ruby red when being poured, but very dark once it hits the glass. Very little head, just a small amount of lacing.

Can really smell the orange in this, little chocolate and smokey notes as well.

Like the smell, the orange hits you first. There are hints of chocolate and roasted malt, and just a hint of bitterness at the finish punctuated with some alcohol warming.

Not as thick as some, but still a tongue coater.

I liked this one, but likely how you feel about it depends on your personal taste, I happen to love the combination of orange and chocolate, and this beer is basically that in liquid form. If you are a fan of those flavors, it is worth a try.

1.44/5  rDev -63%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I had high hopes, I've been enjoying fruited stouts. Saw this guy, thinking I like BA Dragon's Milk as a decent selection periodically. With much optimism I opened then poured into my favorite tulip style glass. Looked just fine, hard to mess up that with a stout. Impossible actually. Minimal head. Smell is orangle pinesol. Taste is orange pinesol with zero other characteristics. Didn't get any barrel or stout. Very thin beer. Super disappointed. Drain pour, wtf New Holland? Do better for Pete's sake. My harshest review ever by far.

2.74/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Love the dragon's milk series, do not love this entry. Orange is artificial and way to powerful in the taste, cocoa is swallowed up, like a sweet and salty orange soda liqueur in taste, with rubbing alcohol and roasted malt, hard pass. Ironically it looked and smelled pretty good, with candied orange, chocolate and some warm booze, but not complex, and appearance looked like typical dragons milk. Feel is thin and burns a little. Drain pour, how did this pass quality control?

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Delicious new Dragon’s Milk variant that I really enjoyed. Pours a nice deep black color with some nice tan head and spotty lingering lacing. Smells of one of those chocolate-orange wedge desserts, along with just a hint of bourbon and wood. Tastes of nice bourbon, malt, oak, milk chocolate, light roast coffee, vanilla and a nice hit of orange. Almost reminds me of some of the notes of a good orange liqueur, though not quite with much bitterness. Smooth, rich, decadent, nice thick mouthfeel that coats the palate somewhat. Good carbonation. Nice warming alcohol and as the beer warmed there was more of a slow burn in the aftertaste. I thoroughly enjoyed this one more than other variants of Dragon’s Milk and would look for others in my local store.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

Orange is beer is one of my favorite. I was excited for this Brew, I like dragons milk original. This is outstanding. I think the Goose Island midnight orange is better but this is a close 2nd. My complaint is that the feel of it is a let down

2.49/5  rDev -36%

I was very excited to try this, I'm a big fan of Dragon's Milk. I've enjoyed some of the other flavors they have melded in.

I found this to be very disappointing. Astringent and Rubbing Alcohol have been mentioned, that was exactly what came to mind when I tasted it.

It tasted like they put a shot of Absolut Citron in each bottle.

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Trying this even though I don't like chocolate orange beers. They always use actual bitter orange rind rather than actual sweet orange candy one would expect with a dessert beer. I proceed.
A - Looks like dragons milk very dark pitch black beer with a nice 1/4 inch of deep mocha tinted foam. Love it
S - Smells quite good bourbon and chocolate is on point. Orange rind is muted but there.
T - Kind of works possibly the closest I ever had to a orange chocolate candy. Smooth bourbon tones, sweet milk chocolate, and just a pinch of bitter orange zest. Tasty.
M - Quite smooth for 11% it is quite good. Medium bodied slick and smooth.

Overall this to me is a very tasty variant of the typical dragons milk. Works better than I anticipated

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Labeled as 'Orange Chocolate'. From a twelve ounce bottle. This brew is utterly black, with a creamy, dark tan head. The aroma is huge with orange...backed with some dark chocolate. Wow. The smell is reminiscent of one of those Christmas Chocolate Oranges. Immediately with the taste, the 11% ABV makes itself present, but it is followed quickly with a roasted malt and grain note. Full body. Thick. Warming. Wonderful.

4.11/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As my New Super Michigan Beer Bowl Sunday (Week 728) rolls along, I am beginning to delve into heady territory. These last two beers aim to get me where I'm going & in one quick hurry!

From the Bottle: "Share A Legend"; "Bourbon Barrel-aged Stout with Natural Flavors"; "Roasted*Malty*Smooth";
"Proudly Brewed in Holland[,] Michigan".

I was anxious to Pop! the cap & get this one in. It would be my last from New Holland today & would pave the way for the second phase of today's festivities. I went with a free-flowing C-Line pour & watched in mock horror was it foamed up with a pseudo-cascade. I have been doing this for a while, so when it formed just under two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head, it was simply another day at the office. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled like one of those imported Terry's Chocolate Oranges! Mmm. Nomnomnom! Never had one?!? They're English & you "whack & unwrap" it to get "slices" of orange-flavored dark bittersweet chocolate. I now want one. Mouthfeel was full, dense & creamy, like a liquefied aforementioned slice. Now, I really wanted one! The taste was NOT at all sweet! Instead, it was like orange zest & bittersweet chocolate. OMFG! I could drink a couple/few of these! Not to be (too) crass, but if you are looking for a panty-peeler for the upcoming Valentine's Day, this may be it. A four-pack, a Terry's Chocolate Orange, a heart-shaped box of chocolates (including the orange crème-filled dark chocolate-enrobed gem) & a bouquet of roses & yer in like Flynn. I am not sure that I can rave about this one enough. I HATE sweets, but this was anything but sweet. This had a great citrusy slight-bitterness from the orange & the chocolate was more towards bittersweet or baker's than milk chocolate. Yum! It was only a sideward glance at the label that reminded me that it was 11% ABV & to slow down that kept me from blasting through a "STOP" sign. It was just THAT drinkable. F'in' dangerous! Finish was semi-sweet, but does that really do it justice? It was semi-sweet like chocolate is semi-sweet, not like beer is semi-sweet. This got my pulse racing & my heart pounding. Phew! Perhaps another lie-down?

4.02/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Pitch black pour with medium to thin toffee colored lacing.

S - Forward aromatic orange aroma with some chocolate, cocoa, and a shot of bourbon underneath.

T - The orange tang is oily and very aggressive from start to finish. Underneath is chocolate, cocoa, and bourbon.

M - Thick, viscous, and lip smacking sticky.

O - The orange zest in this beer is overpowering and detracts from the overall potential it could be. New Holland needs to dial back the orange peel and I need to cellar the remaining three bottles to allow the overpowering orange to fade to an acceptable equilibrium.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap in Seneca SC.
Pours near black with a short, semi durable tan head.
Creamy smooth full body with well set, light carbonation.
Dominated by orange. Unfortunately, the orange seems artificial, like a hard candy, especially in the flavor.
Starts a bit too sweet but more bitterness soon gives a decent balance.

3.64/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 FL. OZ bottle
Served in a snifter

This beer pours black and is topped with less than an inch of tan head that leaves no lacing.

The initial smell is orange sherbet or orange pop. As it warmed the chocolate began to emerge.

The orange pop taste is the first flavor. Through the middle I get orange rind with a slightly bitter flavor into the finish. Roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee appear in the aftertaste.

Full bodied with a smooth mouthfeel

The orange is too dominant for my liking. A more balanced approach with chocolate would help tremendously. I love Dragon's Milk, but this is one variant that needs tweaked or shelved.

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. Pours a very dark mahogany brown, appearing nearly opaque black in the glass with a half finger light brown head with great retention and thick lacing. Aroma of orange with faint dark toasted malt and lactose. Flavor is dark toasted and caramel malt, orange zest, milk chocolate. Finishes with orange zest and chocolate. Medium bodied with light creaminess. They pretty much nailed this one for its name; this tastes like a piece of orange mild chocolate. The malt is there, but only in a minor supporting role. Orange is a little dominant, but I always really liked those English orange chocolate balls and this hits the some spot. Like all of this series, a little on the sweet side, but full flavored and delivers on the adjunct flavors. Nice dessert stout.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 11/29/18. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours almost black with a small khaki head that fades leaving solid retention and lacing. The aromas have lots of orange and citrus along with some citrus. Mild hints of bourbon. Malts are there. It smells like an "Orange Tootsie Pop". The flavors follow the nose. Lots of orange and citrus leading the way. The orange dominates and isn't shy. More chocolate. Mild hints of vanilla. The bourbon is there without dominating. It's balanced and blends well. Solid malt backbone. It's really not that sweet. Mild warmth in the finish, but it's not hot or boozy. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of full-bodied with moderate to active carbonation. It's fluffy, sharp and smooth. It feels slightly creamier than fuller than most Dragon Milk beers, which are normally on the thinner side.

This is an interesting addition to the "Dragon's Milk series". They deliver exactly what you would expect from an orange and chocolate version. It's kind of weird because one second I'm not feeling and then I'm digging it the next. It's definitely a little rough around the edges, but it ultimately works. It might have a bit of an "artificial" vibe going on, but it doesn't ruin the experience. I ultimately like it, but I'm not in love with it. I can see this being a polarizing beer, which it already seems to be.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dragon's Milk Reserve - Orange Chocolate from New Holland Brewing Company