Cabin Fever Brown Ale | New Holland Brewing Company

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-29-2002

Ratings: 1,003 |  Reviews: 310

4.9/5  rDev +33.2%

Awesome - just how a brown ale should be!

4.85/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my new favorite brown ale. As far as I'm concerned, this is the standard against I judge others. Sweet, malty. Not much hops, which I like.

4.83/5  rDev +31.3%

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark brown…awesome, finger thick khaki colored head formed and stayed…nice legs all over the glass…super, duper inviting…(5/5)

Smell: Caramel malts! Sweet, creamy, deep malt aroma…dark fruits, brown sugar, vanilla…I’m expecting a rich, creamy flavor…this thing smells awesome! (4.5/5)

Taste: Creamy, vanilla, toasted malt…there’s some earthy hops balancing the malts finely, creating a fantastic flavor…some coffee, chocolate, bready/sweet malts, vanilla, caramel and sugar adding tones that round out this fine brew…no alcohol heat to speak of…as it warms, the deeper chocolate notes begin to flourish…fantastic! (5/5)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation…fluff does form creating chocolate shake taste, making my mouth salivate…ends crisply, some creamy chocolate, malt after taste…my mouth is watering for more…(4.5/5)

Overall: This is a fantastic brown ale, one of the best beers I’ve tried in a while…the creamy, malt flavor isn’t exotic by any means, but works so well here…it’s not overly hoppy or bitter, just balanced superbly…the phrase, “drinkable” doesn’t do this ale justice, I could easily drink 3 or 4 of these in a sitting and be very happy…there is no sign of the 6.8% ABV in the flavor, I’m expecting this to sneak up on me…absolutely nothing missing from this brew, I couldn’t recommend it more…go get a six pack and you’ll thank me later…(5/5)

4.8/5  rDev +30.4%

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

One of my favorite Brown Ales. Cabin Fever is the quintessential winter brown. I am fortunate enough to get it at the brewery, however, in a bottle is pretty close to the tap. It has a fantastic malty flavor and aroma and finishes cleanly with a great malt aftertaste. If you are forced to drink one brown ale the rest of your life, this would be a fantastic choice!

Photo of
4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.71/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This by far is my favorite, has a smooth taste and easy to drink. I tried this in Holland MI and have been buying this one ever since. My only complaint is I get to full on them to fast. If you want a great beer buy this one. Really enjoy this beer and keep returning to it.

4.7/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.69/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.57/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.51/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Eye: Dark chocolate with a tint of ruby red
Nose: Roasty, toasted malts
Feel: a bit heavy, almost syrupy, but not quite
Taste: roasty, smooth and silky, but roast bitterness on the end
Overall: I am not a big fan of the brown ale, but this is almost like a porter and it has some nice flavor and body to it. I would enjoy slugging a few back for sure.

Cabin Fever Brown Ale from New Holland Brewing Company