New Holland Night Tripper | New Holland Brewing Company

newhollandbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

Added by mcallister on 01-22-2008

What a pleasant surprise. I'm a fan of dark beers, imperials and the likes, and this one really ended up quite suited to my tastes, easily in my top 5. From the first sip I had the impression of 'wow' and wanted more. Great one to just sit back and relax with.

Saw this on the shelves and recognized it as a new high gravity series and had to pick it up. Interesting logo, looks like some clown batman would have beaten up or something, anyways... Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is black as night (no pun intended) and has a creamy looking, one finger, brown-tan head. The smell is wonderfully complex; chocolate, roasted coffee, raisins, figs, dates, cherries and only a faint backdrop of the massive alcohol that lies hidden below. Making anything that has this much alcohol and still smells this great and not like rocket fuel is impressive. The taste showcases the dark fruit flavor, with an initial sweetness that then transitions to a warming alcohol bite and finishes with the roasty, toasty coffee/chocolate flavor. The alcohol is not quite as subdued as well as it was in the nose. The mouthfeel is full bodied and silky with a creamy carbonation. Overall, a dangerously drinkable beer. This could possibly be my new favorite beers and is definitely in my top 5. I hope to venture back to New Holland again and be lucky enough to try this one on tap.

4.98/5  rDev +22.4%

Drank from a snifter or drank from the bottle this is absolutely my favorite stout , the taste and smell is perfect ! The people at New Holland got it perfect with this one , just a great stout !!

4.87/5  rDev +19.7%

Well this is currently my favorite RIS, and for what that's worth RIS is my favorite style. This beer blows me away every time and is truly something special.
This beer really takes the cake in the smell and taste categories, it is just so incredibly complex. The alcohol is perfectly balanced and every sip just makes me sit and think. I feel like more and more is revealed in the beer every time I drink it, and this has become the measurin stick I judge many of my other RISs by.
If you haven't had this one you're missing out. Have this alone the first time you try it, and then with someone who knows their beers and in particular RISs the next time you have it.
My father in-law and I really go nuts for this beer and we always have a good time drinking and exploring it
Truly, truly a sipping beer.

4.86/5  rDev +19.4%

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Awesome brew here.

Poured into a Guinness pint glass a pitch black all the way through the rim. Foamy 1 finger brown head that left a lingering lacing through the bomber.

Smelled of roastiness, coffee and cocoa. The smell wasn't subtle - you know it is there and is about to be big.

Flavors were intense roasty malts layering into cocoa and espresso. The 10.8%ABV was well hidden in the intense flavors, though an alcohol warmth on the sides of the tongue was present through the finish. Had a nice structure and complexity with a rich mouthfeel, but not so viscous that I would consider it chewy.

I delayed opening this large bottle because each time I looked at the size and 10.8%ABV I thought it might be too big. This thing has super drinkability which surprised me though I must admit to a slight buzz as I sit here with half a pint to go.

Overall, a great example of an Imperial Stout. I can't believe the Bros. haven't reviewed it yet. That's cool, just means more for me!

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Served on tap at the Black Squirrel in ADMO DC
A: Midnight black like a magicians cloak. You can't see through this one at all. It even has a magically disappearing head.
S: Moraccan black crude with a light jasmine floral profile. Dark Madagascar cocoa, vanilla, oak barrel and sweet malt.
T: This brew has a great taste profile. It starts off with a great dark Madagascar cocoa, 80 %. It has a dark Moroccan coffee flourish which is impressive in finish and character. Sweet well aged malt balls.. YUM!
M: Full mouthfeel medium to high carbonation that has a fantastic dark cocoa and burnt bourbon barrel coffee press finish.
O: A very impressive offering that begged for 3 tastings, and must be re-evaluated in a bottle. Damn tasty. Get one today!

Holy S*&T!

Poured from a 22 bottle into a snifter.

Appearance was pitch black, with creamy tan head, very little carbonation.

Smell: WOW! Roasted Coffee, cocoa, caramelized brown sugar, and burnt caramel.

Taste: Flavors of roast coffee, dark chocolate dominate with a slight hint of black licorice. Flavors linger on the palate for a very long time. Get a nice hit of hops in the finish that is quickly balanced out by flavors of chocolate malt.

Mouthfeel: Nice and heavy like you would expect from a Russian Imperial, but not gumey or tacky. Coats the mouth with all of the flavors in the aroma.

Drinkability: For all of the alcohol, and chocolate malt in this beer it goes down rather quickly, needed to slow myself down so I could enjoy all of the complexity of this beer.

Tried with some extra dark (72% cocoa) chocolate what a perfect match. Being a chef I can't wait to try braising some short ribs with this beer on a cold snowy Clevland night.

YOU NEED TO TRY THIS BEER!

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from bomber into snifter. Pours black with brown 1 finger head. I smell malty sweetness- chocolate and toasty. Taste mimicks smell but with a little hop bitterness and a little warming from the alcohol. Thick and fullbodied and oh so delish! This glass is filled with pure goodness- one of my favorite impys.

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Inky black in color-somewhat of a tan head. Decent sized and some nice lacing as it goes down. Heavy mocha aroma. Almsot a spicy, cinnamon like quality. Huge roasted flavor. Like a beer espresso. Mocha, coffee and bitter chocolate flavors are all swirled as one. Just a great, not overly complex taste to it. A slight spiciness that reminds me of a spice cake sort of flavor. Silky smooth and velvety mouthfeel. Great beer-very drinkable-even on a hot, hot July evening. This would have to age well. Get some.

New Holland Night Tripper from New Holland Brewing Company