New Holland Night Tripper | New Holland Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

Added by mcallister on 01-22-2008

1.77/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

2017.

Pours like a brown ale with some chestnut hints and forms into a dark chocolate brown. A steady head of 1 finger, beige-khaki.

Aroma of roast malts, slight rotted banana peels, and ethanol.

Flavor profile is pure fusel alcohol with a faint following of roast malts. This is really, really bad.

Feel is hot, boozy, stiff.

Overall, this sucks ass. Good night.

Edit : trying it again just to make sure I was right. I was. Instant drain pour.

1.88/5  rDev -53.5%

Had at a share and was told this bottle was a 2008, and it showed. Nearly 10 years is definitely a bad idea for this brew, or likely any other beer out there that isn't a sour or barleywine.

This puppy still smells quite boozy somehow, nearly soy sauce-like with some unknown salt element, and elements of cola and roasted malt providing the base aromas.

Taste is rug, musty peanut, graham, dust, chocolate, and dried cardboard.

Dry, slick and weird. Did I say this was too old? If I have a fresh Night Tripper I will re-review and overwrite this aged review.

2.08/5  rDev -48.5%

I tend to be cautious about New Holland brews, as they produce more misses than hits for me, but I decided to give this a whirl when I saw it on tap...and I think I'm going to stick to the Dragon's Milk as my token New Holland brew of choice.

The pour on this is standard for the style, nothing particularly special, but nothing wrong with it either. Nose, also average for the style, some roast, a hint of chocolate and dark fruits, but Imperials are supposed to be big, and this didn't go huge in any category here.

The flavour...was not good. The beer starts off pleasantly enough with soft chocolate and relatively subdued roasted tones. About midway, all I could taste was toffee though, it completely dominated the flavour, and was extremely cloying. I like sweet beers in a general sense as well, and I drink heavy beers all winter, this was unpleasant. Some alcohol presence on the finish.

In terms of the mouth, the beer is fine for the style, big and thick. Not much carbonation, as expected. In terms of drinkability, I have to drop the elbow on this one though...it's a more expensive beer because it's high gravity, and it's easily one of the worst in its style that I've had.

The bottom line: If you're looking for an excellent American Double Stout there are a number of bottles you can choose that are local to Michigan (Founders Breakfast and Kentucky Breakfast) or elsewhere (Southern Tier Choklat) which will destroy this beer at about the same price.

2.21/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This stout just misses on flavor for my taste.

2.4/5  rDev -40.6%

It pours dirty oil black with a decent tan head.

The smell is horrible though, you get a tad of coffee and chocolate but to me the overwhelming aroma is rubbing alcohol.

The taste is nothing special either. It has as coffee alcohol taste with no palate. Its oily and just goes rigth down. A horrible stout effort.

2.42/5  rDev -40.1%

On tap at in a 10oz glass at Bodega on 5/5/10

Dark brown when settled; cola highlights around the edges. 1/2 inch tan head. Thin retention, though lacing is among the best, most solid I have seen.

Well-implemented & expressive aroma of roasted malts, toffee, caramel & a spot of brown sugar. Hints of milk chocolate. Notes of citric hops add additional layers of grapefruit & lemon zest.

Tastes ok, but maybe not for the style. Roasted chocolate first, then dark sugars with burnt undertones. Offset by some sweetness - toffee & caramel, especially. Stray earthy hop notes with a subtle bitterness that picks up toward the end. Maybe a dab of citrus.

Full bodied with appropriate carbonation; just enough to keep things moving. Alcohol heat is appreciable. Burnt residuals linger.

While not a bad beer, I find it too sweet & far too much akin to a Barleywine for it's own good. I'm glad I tried it though; been passing it by for a while. A decent sipper but sketchy for the style.

2.43/5  rDev -39.9%

2.45/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I was really excited to try this beer but was definitely let down.

The appearance and smell are what you would expect from a stout, dark and coffee like.

The taste started off with an almost cough-syrup like flavor, maybe a bad whiskey and coke. It improved slightly when you started tasting the coffee and chocolate, but not enough for me to enjoy it.

The mouthfeel was like molasses, it was too thick for me. I really enjoy thicker stouts, but this one took it too far.

This beer was definitely not in my wheelhouse.

2.54/5  rDev -37.1%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was so black my laser pointer would not shine through it!. The beer poured a poor head that was gone soon as I finished pouring. The smell was slightly hoppy. The taste was hot, like way to much alcohol. I could not get past the burn to taste the beer. If they toned it down some might have a great beer, but it was tasteless with so much %. I will not pay 10 bucks for that again.

2.55/5  rDev -36.9%

A bottle my wife brought home from a work trip.

Poured into my Allagash tulip The beer forms a dense tan head the resides to the glasses edge quickly. The color is a dark dark brown black as it pours.

The aroma is sweet malty with a hint of roast. There is a noticeable amount of alcohol in the end.

The taste very malty, very sweet and a lingering creaminess on the tongue. A fair amount of chocolate. There is a strange almost soapy finish that makes this undrinkable for me.

This is a below average imperial stout at best. i would choose a Old Raspy any day of the week over this, not sure why it has such a high rating.

2.57/5  rDev -36.4%

Bomber purchased today in Chicago Burbs

A- dark drown with very light hues on the edge. No head. No lacing

S- light roasted malt, faint chocolate, sour plum, herbal hop, and booze

T- the sour plum leads, followed by a combo of dry chocolate and hop bitterness

M- thin and over carbonated. Very dry

D- for the style, it's not a good representation. Reminds me more of a Doppelbock

2.62/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle inspection: 27 plato, 10.8% ABV. No other useful information.

Aroma: Faint hints of dark fruit, warming alcohol, dark fruity esters open up a bit as it warms. Raisins, plums, and a slight spiciness all are present but nothing dramatic.

Appearance: Opaque jet black pour with little to no head. Takes major agitation to get a thin tan film on the surface.

Flavor: Nice blend of milk chocolate, alcohol, rum-soaked raisins, background roasted barley notes. Finish is dry, a little hot, and somewhat prickly due to the alcohol. No apparent hop bitterness or flavor to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall impression: Underwhelmed. Definitely a tip of the hat to the English RIS. Hops and roasted barley are slim to none here. Alcohol is way too apparent and would benefit from age. Tough to drink just b/c the alcohol was so prominent. The lack of roasted bitterness and the alcohol almost makes me think of an old ale as this beer opens and warms a bit. Still, they need to bump up the hop charge (English, American, anything), bump up the roasted grains, and watch fermentation or age longer to help with the alcohol mellowing. I'll pass next time.

2.65/5  rDev -34.4%

A- Very dark black in color and no head at all. All I could get were a couple of tiny bubbles.

S- Some chocolate and tiny bit of coffee smells. I could pick up on the alcohol right away. Also could pick up on the roasted malts in this one.

T- Very little chocolate/coffee taste here at the beginning. Could clearly pick up the nice little alcohol burn that pretty much dominanted this entire brew.

M- Very very thin almost watery. Very little to no carbonation here.

D- Due to the high level of alcohol and the nice burning feeling I'd say this has got to be low. Expected a little more from this one.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%