Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Golden Cap | New Holland Brewing Company

newhollandbrew.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by TasteTester on 07-31-2008

4.3/5  rDev +16.2%

This is one of my favorite New Holland beers by far. Coming from the High Gravity series, 22-oz bomber. I picked it up at the brewery and haven't seen it anywhere in town, so I have no idea if it is being distributed beyond their walls. It is a saison ale.

A-Light golden in color. No head on a heavy pour, that lasted anyway. And no lacing.

S-Fruity tones infused, sweet, also a faint spice. Don't pick up much else that is very discerning.

T-Very well balanced. No heavy alcohol bitterness or overbearing fruit flavor.

M-Tingles the tongue and back of the throat on its way down. Very smooth.

D-Very good. I could probably drink a case of this. Will probably go back to get some on tap, maybe a growler if I can persuade them.

Saisons are not at the top of my list of favorites and I usually tend to shy away from them, unless they are a special release. Glad this is one I took a chance on.

4.3/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i first tried this at the great lakes beerfest in racine wisconsin in early september. I made it a point to visit the new holland tent. We had a mug that came with our tickets so the first pour was about 4 ounces. I realy liked the smell and taste, the mouth feel was wondeful and drinkablitiy was top notch. I made sure all of the 40 friends that came with tried it we all agreed it was a great saison. Mid october i found some bombers of this beer in a liquor store and purchased 5 of them well worth it and waiting to buy more i highley recommend trying this one if you have not. By the way thanks to the guys at the beerfest who kept pouring my mug for me you guys were great

4.3/5  rDev +16.2%

Hazy body looks like a glass of liquid honey. The head fades quickly. Aroma is very faint but echoes notes of honey, bumble gum and fresh rain. Flavor is slightly tart and musty up front, but gradually fades to a melon-inflected crisp wheat note. Finish lingers a but with a watery and slightly musty note. As I continue to sip, slight bready or biscuit flavors come through, followed by a hint of roasted lemon. Mouthfeel is solid - feels a bit effervescent at first, but quickly mellows to more of a silky note on the tongue. Very interesting meld of flavors - makes you want to drink more. I imagine this would go great with roasted poultry. A very nice surprise from New Holland.

4.29/5  rDev +15.9%

The color is a hazy golden amber. A pure white head pours a nice white head without spectacular retention that leaves light lacing.
The nose is fantastic: a mix of various fruits including apple, pear and strawberry with honey, grains and light spices (coriander). I could smell this all day long.
A fruit bouquet mixes with sweet honey and grains with some coriander and a gentle peppery spice. Fruits are apple, pear, strawberry and some lemon and orange citrus. There's also a gentle pale malt that forms a nice backbone and adds balance. This is a tasty beer.
This is a crisp, smooth brew. The body is a clean light to medium with moderate carbonation that plays well.
Drink this.
I'm beginning to think I may really like Saisons as a style.

4.29/5  rDev +15.9%

Once more, a bottle has surfaced in my fridge and I have no idea from whence it came. A safe bet would be local in-person trader, tone77, but usually his reviews show up before mine. I do not know and I really do not care since every expended bottle makes room for more CANs.

From the bottle: "Brewed with wheat's ancestor, spelt. A olden body and unique fermentation profile evoke fresh-cut hay and cracked peppercorns. Parings: shellfish, citrus, garlic."

The fluffy, dense,bone-white head with excellent retention resembled a glob of marshmallow Fluf. Color, while slightly hazy, was liquid sunshine in a glass on this raw, overcast day. Sandy did us no favors last week and we are still feeling its effects on the weather. You have to love truth in advertising - nose smelled initially of fresh-cut hay and the cracked peppercorn was a tang in the back of the throat. My sinuses are reeling! I wish that it smelled like Brendee's fresh-cut French Fries. They are just soooo good. Mouthfeel was medium and there seemed to be a riot of flavors on my tongue as the peppercorn flavor hit initially, followed by a dusty, musty yeast-born flavor, like old newspapers in the attic. Finish was very dry, like white wine, but I could see this with shellfish, especially a bouillabaisse. Man, I'm getting hungry again and I just came from a Greek food bazaar. To whomever brought this to me, thanks!

4.29/5  rDev +15.9%

12 oz single purchased from Bruisin Ales in Asheville, NC. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear straw like color. There was a small amount of white head that disappeared extremely quickly. There is practically no lacing or retention.

S: The smell is very inviting. Lemony and grassy hop aromas mix well with spicy aromas its has.

T: This is a really flavorful Saison. All the characteristics of the smell are present in the taste and mix just as well in the flavor. This style is not my favorite, but I really like this one since it just has the small amount of tartness.

M: The mouth feels much thicker than most I have had in the style. The carbonation and spicing makes is a bit aggressive in the mouth which is probably appropriate for the style, but a little too much of a good thing for me.

D: Since it doesn't have the huge barnyard aromas or sourness this one goes down pretty easy for me.

4.27/5  rDev +15.4%

A very good beer. A good beer with a thick head and straw color. Smells fresh. Taste is wonderful, but not the best. Mouthful well, it is good, could be better. It goes along with the taste. Doesn't quite capture my buds as I had hoped, but is better than a lot of beers out there. Drinkabiltiy is ok. As you get towards the bottom the taste is kinda stale.

4.27/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer pours a bright golden color with a nice fluffy white head. Has a tart fruity aroma of lemon and other citrus flavors. Tastes of dried orange and lemon peel with spicy ester and a hint of banana. Lots of carbination makes for a nice tingly mouthfeel. Drinkability is good, I could easily drink a few of these though the relatively high abv makes this beer unsessionable for me.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: Mango colored/light amber

Smell: Coriander, Citrus, Strawberries, Alcohol

Taste: Orange, Strawberry, an airy citrus.

Mouthfeel: Great - full bodied, soft tannins

Drinkability: I'd say it's a sipper - but could session if you can stand up to the Farmhouse flavor. Definitely recommend as a entry-mid level farmhouse saison.

4.24/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden appearance; fairly opaque for the color. Champagne-like carbonation rises to the top. Fluffy white head slims down.

The nose is beautiful. I can smell the floral aroma more than a foot away from the glass. Up close there's a pronounced grape note and phenolic yeast. Wood tones. A rainbow of aroma. Very fruity (subtle pineapple), but sophisticated.

A wild taste. Bright & fresh up front with floral hops flavor & spicy yeast, with a finish that is crisp and dry. Grape juice in the middle. More phenols.

Notes: my first saison/farmhouse ale (French). Forgive me for my lack of clarity, and for my brevity. Time to enjoy this one alone.

4.24/5  rDev +14.6%

I picked up a 6 pack of these at Springbrook Liquors in Bloomingdale, IL for $11.99, so tjey're not cheap. Was looking for something Halloweenish that I could enjoy between all the trick or treaters coming to my door, but they didn't carry much in the way of craft specialties there, so I settled for these as they had the flying monkies on the label from the wicked witch's haunted forest in the "Wizzard of OZ". 12oz brown bottles with no freshness date.

The beer poured a nice straw gold color and made 1½-fingers worth of frothy white head. The head lasted several minutes and left tons of lacing on the glass.

The smell was phenominal - lots of grapes and other ripe fruits, some funky yeast, herbs and spices, and biscuity malt.

Nice mix of complex flavors in here. Definitely grapes and bananas up front with a slight sour twang as well. I didn't get any wheat flavor from the" spelt" they said was in here, but I did get some yeast and bready malt flavors. Hops are minimal but noticeable. A mix of herbal and spicy hops blended with orange peel and lemon zest. Not as much barnyard funk as in most saisons - not sure whether that's bad or good.

Feels more like drinking a crisp refreshing wine than a beer. Light to medium body with fairly high carbonation.

I like the flavor and smell of this a lot. Whether it's a traditionally made farmhouse ale may be another matter. The 6.25% alcohol is hidden pretty well and it's very easy to drink.

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

The first thing that struck me was the nose on this. Absolutely grand. Just sweet honey and warm light spicing. I didnt want to take my nose out of this. The golden liquid looked just as nice. I was really impressed by the first sip, and each after. Just very very smooth, nice balance of flavors, and a bit of restraint in the spicing, which I appreciate.

Each sip makes me want another, which is my mark of a truly great beer. This was super drinkable, and I can't wait to try one on the patio on a warm summer day. Another winner from NH.

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

From notes (back when it was a seasonal/premium offering).

On-tap poured into a nonic pint.

A- 2-finger, fluffy white head that drops to a full lace that leaves great sticky spots on the glass. The body was a clean, golden color with light-medium carbonation.

S- Great for the style. Green apple and musty yeast qualities were the major players.

T- More green apple and a touch of citrus. Clean finish. Maybe a touch of creamy, wheaty qualities.

M- Clean feel with light carbonation and a dry finish.

D- It's a great summer drinker. I could have had a couple in a sitting. As stated, this is from notes from some time back. I believe they've since changed the recipe, as the ABV dropped just a touch.

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance - Very pale yellow color that is also very clear. Pours around 1 finger head that stays around for a few minutes. Has some pretty damn good lacing for a Farmhouse Ale

Smell - Yeasts, Cracked Pepper, Sweet Corn, Sweet Malts and Barley. It reminds me of Furthermore Knot Stock, particularly with the pepper smell. However it doesn't smell grassy at all and smells rather sweet

Taste - Yeasts, Bubble Gum, Cracked Pepper Sweet Malts, Corn (in a good way!), Faint Floral Hops and Barley. Unlike Knot Stock, the pepper flavor blends in very nicely with the rest of the flavors. Speaking of which, the rest of the flavor has a nice overt sweetness to it.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and just the right amount of carbonation to give it a crisp and refreshing feel. Very easy to drink!

Overall - Before reviewing this, my favorite Saison Ale was Surly CynicAle. After having this, I can say that it soon may go to New Holland, who have crafted a very fine and outstanding Farmhouse Ale. It's nice to see a great Farmhouse finally available to the masses!

Golden Cap from New Holland Brewing Company