Charkoota Rye | New Holland Brewing Company

newhollandbrew.com

Style: Smoked Beer

Availability: Fall

Charkoota Rye - Smoked Doppelbock Lager

Charkoota Rye is a Smoked Rye Dopplebock. Charkoota Rye's malty backbone is derived from a blend of rye and four other malts, including malted barley smoked over cherry wood by our very own brewers, John and Jeff.

Its smoke-forward body is balanced with tones of deep mollasses and caramel, with a crisp, clean lager finish.

19° Plato, Alc. 7.75% by Vol.

Added by Deuane on 01-04-2009

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

2011 vintage

eyes...
nearly black, one full finger plus a smidge of micro bubble constructed head, ebbs and flows like the ocean tide, nice retention after a good 10 minutes of sitting here, a solid looking brew

nose...
hyper sweet molasses in a fire, upon further snorting the smoke is really starting to race to the front and dominate, the smoke is mouth watering, it really does remind me of bamburg type brews with just a mere hint of fruity sweetness at the tip if the smoke, if you dig smoke, dig this...

taste etc...
ever been utterly confused by a first taste? I'm there... (pausing to try and begin to describe what is going on right now)...
first glance you get some sweet malts (briefly), then there is a very strong sour flavor, hard to compare, not sour like lemon or a lambic... but sour ... like tart cherries. I suppose, that's the best I can do right now, then the smoke HITS, and boy does it, the sour would make this undrinkable but the smoke tames it.... enough? hmm... not sure about that. This drinks smoothly and the carbonation is perfectly matched to the body.

verdict?
the smoke is absolutely wonderful here but the sour note really is a touch too strong, maybe this is better was a dessert type after some righteous bbq pig etc. I can't imagine this through an entire meal, might make a hell of an interesting sauce/marinade/braising liquid....

2.75/5  rDev -24%

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

2.32/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

201 vintage. Darker than mahogany, minimal head and retention, no lacing, and not alot of activity. It's thin enough to see through if you look at it with the lighting or angle just right.

Smoke. That's about it.

Smoked malt and malty sweetness with some dark fruit. Mostly smoky. Tad bit of bitterness in the finish.

The feel is probably the best part, and normally the feel isn't a super important element to me. Lightly carbonated, medium body, slightly bitter finish.

My brother bought 2 bottles, and didn't like it. He gave me the other. I like Alaskan Smoked Porter and to a lesser extent Stone Smoked Porter. I'm down with a good smoked beer. But I'd heard some other folks say it was not good, so it took me a couple of years to get around to opening it. It isn't as horrible as one guy told me ("the worst beer I've ever had"), but I think most of it is going down the drain so I can drink something I really like. The smoke is way overdone here (though Alaskan Smoked Porter is very smoky and I love it), and it is almost cloyingly sweet too. I'm not really a drain pour type of guy unless something is infected, but I will be going against my typical tendencies in this case.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

1.5/5  rDev -58.6%

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz Bottle - Thanks to slyvain for this one

Appearance - Brown colour with with a an average size fizzy off-white head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, dark fruits, smoke/burnt notes, peat

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, dark fruits, and some smoke/burnt notes. There is also an odd meaty/peat flavour and some rye. It ends with a smokey aftertaste.

Overall - Almost like smoked barleywine taste wise. I'm not a fan of smokey beers.. and this one didn't do anything to change my opinion. Fans of the style will surely enjoy this.

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%