Dragon's Milk

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Dragon's MilkDragon's Milk
Notes: A barrel aged Imperial Stout with roasty malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones, all dancing in an oak bath.

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
2016 Bottles are 11% ABV
Reviews: 1,730 | Ratings: 6,577 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
blazerkor from Nevada

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I can smell the bourbon, sweet and wooden but the cocoa/coffee smell of stout dominates after the initial waft.

Sweet burnt sugars come through first. There are elements of chocolate, wood and liquor.

It has a medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. The finish is sweet, then bitter and finally rests on a warm alcoholic sensation.

Overall this is a very solid bourbon barrel aged stout. It's subtle and not too heavy. I give it a 5.2 out of 6.

Aug 18, 2021
Whyteboar from Michigan

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This one is about as basic a Barrel Aged Stout can get and it’s available year round so some would expect less than this delivers. Drank at cellar temperature.
The appearance is really nice; dark with light brown head and lacing, ideal for the genre.
The aroma brings bourbon and chocolate and vanilla and malts; but in harmony, not competition.
The taste follows the nose with all of those scents making an appearance as flavors, nicely balanced.
This is one I think will have a permanent place in my cellar. Just always good.

Jul 06, 2021
Newtobeet345 from Georgia

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Color chocolate brown
Scent caramel chocolate malt, vanilla
Taste- smooth with nice chocolate and vanilla notes.
Overall nice easy to drink at 11%. Nice for a change

Jun 30, 2021
doclh

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%

If you love the bourbon barrel style, this is the one you go home with when you’re sober. It delivers everything you want and makes you come back for more. Great color, taste and feel. An all-around great imperial stout. Never disappoints.

Jun 19, 2021
jeffdr123 from Florida

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

At the New Holland Brewery with work friends. Smooth and sweet, not as much roasted coffee or nuts as other stouts. I think I'd like it better without the Imperial alcohol flavor, but definitely something I would order again.

Jun 14, 2021
Jacobbartling

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: pours pitch black, very thin cream colored head with a light caramel/red tint

S: notes of chocolate, Bourbon barrel, and slight caramel sweetness

T: huge chocolate flavors up front with vanilla coming through shortly after. The after taste is exactly that of a bourbon. A few minutes after taking a sip, you would be hard pressed to remember if you just had a stout or a whiskey!

F: very light for an 11% beer. Smooth and creamy

O: all the other reviews are spot on. This beer is fantastic. I wasn't really in the mood to drink a beer, but I wanted to do a review so I decided to do it anyway and I am so glad I did! This beer is definitely my favorite in its category and one that you need to be really careful with! Its a sipper but it would be easy to sip 3 or 4 on a chilly night!!

Jun 01, 2021
QuakeAttack from California

3.79/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Similar to other reviews, it started boozy, then improved as it warmed to room temperature. Initially, I was disappointed as the taste was lite on the stout and chocolate note and even hazelnut. It became more balanced and a little richer as I drank it, but I expected more.

May 06, 2021
NCSapiens from Indiana

4.08/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Super boozy, but in a good way. Tastes like whisky as much as beer. Tons of vanilla and oak from the barrels with a sweet and toasty malt backbone. Nice nearly black color with ample beige foam. Rich and creamy feel.

Apr 27, 2021
Blankira from Kentucky

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look-Pitch black poured into a tulip glass from a bomber. Small brown head with light lacing. How I would expect a bourbon barrel aged stout to look like.

Smell-Oak, Malts, Chocolate, molasses, bourbon, and vanilla

Taste-Sweet rich chocolate, with light oaky and bourbon after notes. Vanilla comes out more as it comes to room temperature that pairs well with the bourbon. Definitely a sipper. Malts thrown in as well.

Feel-Surprisingly light and creamy for this high ABV. Smooth

Overall-Solid BBA stout for the price. Definitely enjoy this one with a medium rare ribeye steak! It gets better as it comes to room temperature. You can pull this one out of the cellar at room temp and have the best experience in my personal opinion.

Apr 27, 2021
aBosslyElephant from Florida

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L- Pitch black, very thin hazel head with a reddish tint, light bubbles
S- Bitter dark chocolate, creamy milk, hints of woody bourbon barrel, all the smells mix well so not one stands out
T- Clean, heavy notes of that dark chocolate and nice complexity from the bourbon aged barrels. Leaves a milky and creamy aftertaste
M- Smooth and light, lighter than you would expect by the look of it and the fact it's a milk stout.
O- Amazing stout, good for an introduction into high ABV dark stouts. Sweet aftertaste with enough pleasant suprises to keep you wanting more!

Apr 19, 2021
BigIronH from Michigan

3.69/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2019 vintage Nose is nutty, oak, and roasted malt. Taste is boozy on top. Definitely tasting that bourbon barrel along with chocolate and vanilla. Back end is malt and smoky oak flavor. The feel is nice and thick and exactly what I want from a beer like this. It’s good but I probably won’t drink this one again. I tend to look for a bit more complexity and additions in this style, simply a matter of personal taste and opinion. I will keep my eye out for other variations.

Apr 10, 2021
Drennett from Utah

4.57/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well worth the hype. Let is warm up from the fridge for about 30 mins and really helped bring out the flavor. Dangerously smooth for an 11% ABV beer, almost no harsh boozy aftertaste. Always a good choice.

Apr 06, 2021
filamaso from Oregon

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

Hands down an outstanding beer when you're in a deep, rich, dark beer kind of mood. It's very thick, creamy, and gives off a sweet aroma that smells of chocolate, sugar, and alcohol. When poured down the side of a mug, the head is surprisingly not thick and a deep, rich, tan color. The mouth feel is similar to a guinness, but the taste is anything but. It tastes sweet, very dark, with an unmistakable alcohol punch due to its high ABV. Overall, this is one of my all-time favorite beers when I'm eating steak, when it's cold outside, or when I just feel like sitting and enjoying a beer. I always have Dragon's Milk in my beer fridge downstairs, and I don't see that changing in the near future.

Apr 05, 2021
Zimulator from Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

I took one sip and had to sit back and marvel at how fast this became my favorite beer.

I love stouts and porters, and a bourbon is always welcome. I usually go for oatmeal or chocolate stouts when available. If that sounds anything like your tastes, just go get a pack of Dragon's Milk right now.

Taste: Obviously the most important factor, and this is what sold me on it. It's pretty sweet for a stout. The expected bitterness is almost entirely absent till the end of the sip. The bourbon and chocolate are VERY strong. You get hints of this or that with other good stouts but Dragon's Milk's taste hits hard. The bourbon hits first and is what made me sit up straight and think about what I was tasting. The chocolate is the undertone there, and I'd jump at the chance to buy a bar of chocolate that tasted like this. It's not even a dark chocolate taste. This is grade-A milk chocolate. The extent of the first burst of flavor is surprising for a beer of any kind. After that, the bourbon flavor lingers over notes of vanilla. It makes you want to savor every sip.

Feel: Smooth and creamy at first, and then it sparkles for a second right at the end of the sip. You feel the carbonation, but it doesn't feel very hoppy. The carbonated sting does not last long at all. This isn't as thick as some stouts, which would usually be a downside for me, but it works well here. It doesn't miss out on smoothness.

Look: Super dark. The head is creamy and doesn't rise too much on even a careless pour. (I experimented a bit.)

Smell: Maybe this beer's weakest point. You can smell what's coming if you know what to look for, but it doesn't catch on the air and draw your attention. It's like she knows she doesn't have to try.

Between the taste, the smooth but sparkling feel and the 11% ABV, this is a sipping beer. There are lots of higher priced stouts less worthy of being savored. This is a treat-yourself-beer and an admirable flagship.

As I said, I decided this was my favorite beer after one sip. And I promise that's saying something with how much I favor my local beers. This isn't local to me, and that hardly made me hesitate at all to put it at number one. Supporting local businesses is great, but supporting craftsmanship is too.

Mar 31, 2021
1BrewBacca from Georgia

4.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Pours a Dark Chocolate with a creamy caramel head that slowly dissipates. Nice lace on the glass.
Smell and Taste: Chocolate and Bourbon are dominate with notes of coffee and vanilla. Fairly sweet.
Feel: Was going to rate it at a 4.5 but the 11%ABV convinced me to up it a notch.
Overall: A really great stout. Will be happy to drink this one anytime.

Mar 20, 2021
klarcbarr3 from Michigan

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A nicely paced pour into a pint glass displays deep brown/black color, with a glossy, bubbly head. The nose is complex.. chocolate, coffee, and bourbon notes explode simultaneously, with undertones of vanilla and milk sugars. The taste mirrors the nose, with the sweetness more pronounced, and the coffee gaining in prominence.. and this beer has GOOD coffee at its' base! The carbonation is solid, as evidenced by the head retention and the persistent, beautiful lacing as the beer was consumed. The mouthfeel was strong, somewhat chewy.. it just felt good, every step of the way. I am loving this new discovery, well done, New Holland!

Feb 22, 2021
Jaidyn from Oregon

4.94/5  rDev +21.1%

Look: looks great pours with a decent head that dissipates into a thin line. Good lacing. Black or very dark brown in the light.

Smell: some slight bourbon and oak up front, toasted malt and vanilla. Some hop character.

Taste: very flavorful without anything being overwhelming. Initial oak and vanilla up front leading to some slight bourbon, toasted malt and some hops and finished like a chocolate covered cherry(?) very perfectly balanced with a lot of flavor but nothing being overpowering or overwhelming.

Feel: pretty carbonated which I like, definitely not flat. Slightly thick and syrupy in a pleasant way.

Very much a desert beer but easily my favorite stout. Very well done

Feb 07, 2021
Taybeh from Minnesota

4.16/5  rDev +2%

In a snifter, obsidian, 1/2 finger head and some good lacing. Nose is solid but not overpowering bourbon, molasses, faint vanilla, bakers chocolate. Taste carries the nose forward...comes to a nice clean finish and point at the end, though I’m not getting much in terms of hoppy liveliness or bite.

All in al, very nice...delicious without being overdone. I don’t go for big stouts that often, but I still can’t believe I’ve never tried this one before, even though it’s always around. This won’t be the last one of these for me.

Feb 04, 2021
coolforcats from Vermont

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not a fan of coffee in my stout, but this had an inoffensive bitterness but none of the typical coffee flavor I detest. Slight sweetness, creamy, balanced. Overall very solid.

Jan 11, 2021
BeerIsGood1337 from Missouri

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delicious stout. Very creamy and just the right amount of sweetness. You can clearly taste that it was aged in a bourbon barrel, but it's not overpowering. Everything here is just well-balanced, and I can't recommend this beer enough.

Probably the best stout I've tasted.

I drank a Milk Stout Nitro by Left Hand Brewing immediately after this, and it feels and tastes so boring in comparison. Thin and lifeless. Not sure how it has a higher BA score.

Jan 02, 2021
rjhiii2020 from New Jersey

What a great, strong, wonderful creamy Ale that is so good I believe compares to the best corked Belgian Ales which are my favorite, some of which being made for over 1,000 years, but with a finish to distinguish as a stout. Gets my highest recommendation for a strong rich wonderful flavorful warm and delicious brew. At 11% Dragon's Milk really hits the spot, I only drink brew at 8% and above, preferably above 10%. The Bourbon barrels show the highest class and quality, reminds me of the smoothness of a highlands scotch like my favorite 21 year old Macallan -- but instead of with the finest Cubans this Ale provides all the richness and flavor of a full meal and I delight in the expression of flavor on my palate, not the full fillet mignon, lobster and potatoes of the best Belgian Ales but Dragon's Milk delivers to me more of the 2nd half of that meal along with a sweet delicious chocolate desert. I'll leave the subtle details of taste, character and aftertaste to all the other reviews but with a brew/stout that tastes this good all I can say is -- wow! Thank you New Holland Brewing for bringing such a warm and wonderful brew to my holiday and into my home. This will always be on my list and I hope I'll always have on reserve. And I thought Michigan was known for cars -- one day I'd like to sail from Chicago to Holland just to taste and enjoy your wonderful Ale made on The Lake (Lake Michigan.) My first review, next will be Black Ops Stout, with these two the best brews available during this winter holiday time of the year. Should mention for an occasional stand by whiskey, I love a good bourbon such as the Tennessee charcoal filtered Jack Daniels. A final note, I drink from the bottle to avoid losing carbonation, as opposed to a frosted glass beer mug, and Dragon's Milk straight from the bottle chilled in the freezer is perfect.

Dec 27, 2020
VoxRationis from New York

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Decanted from a 12 oz (355 ml) bottle into a Bells tulip/snifter glass; bottled 06/15/20.
A: Pours an essentially black with a no more than one finger, dark tan head that clears to a rim and spotty lacing.
S: Aromas of caramel, chocolate, bourbon, sarsaparilla, vanilla, and molasses predominate.
T: Sweet and boozy. Flavors follow the nose with a lot of sarsaparilla and booziness. Bitterness solidly present but in the background.
F: Full bodied with moderate carbonation.
O: Purchased this in Ann Arbor, while dropping off my kid for the Fall semester. Full disclosure, I am falling out of limerence with these booze barrel aged and adjuncted stouts, and return to the simple pleasure of Guinness, but felt that the bourbon barrel aging definitely added an additional dimension to the olfactory and flavor pallets here. Would definitely buy, order, or serve to friends.

Dec 14, 2020
BucBasil from Rwanda

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First beer after the birth of my second child, and after a 9 month hiatus from drinking in solidarity with my pregnant wife. Looking forward to this one!

Bought in Noblesville, IN and poured into an imperial pin glass from the 12 oz bottle.

A: The beer is a pure black color with only a sliver of cola brown on the edges when held up to light. Head was 2 fingers thick, creamy foam, and had a nice dark tan color, lasting a few minutes.

S: Strong chocolate aroma with a toasty toffee backbone. Some spice and vanilla underneath but mostly bittersweet chocolate.

T: Oak and booze hidden beneath a layer of sweet chocolate. Finish is bourbon with hints of vanilla, spice, and wood. Light burn stays with you for a while like a nice bourbon as well.

Overall, a solid beer with a nice character. A lot of good flavors swirling around in there, and surprisingly drinkable for the strength.

Nov 24, 2020
IPAs_for_days_13 from Texas

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours black as night with an absolutely bitchin two-finger espresso head.
S: Smells rich of bourbon & oak upfront, aromas of good coffee, roasted malts, & dark chocolate as well.
T: The nice bitter coffee flavor pairs well with the sweeter flavors of the roasted malts, toasted coconut, & dark chocolate; this is a super boozy stout if you haven't came to that conclusion yet.
F: Medium-bodied with a smooth, somewhat thin though.
O: This stout tastes like i'll be having another. Cheers!

Nov 21, 2020
vi11am from Pennsylvania

4.09/5  rDev +0.2%

Dark cola coloring, light khaki header. Smells of roasted malt and slight chocolate. Heavy carbonation, to a smooth creamy finish. Bourbon straight away to a malted almost cinnamon vanilla flavor. Powerful ABV , not for long sessions, maybe one very short very yummy session.

Nov 09, 2020