Dragon's Milk

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Dragon's MilkDragon's Milk
Notes: A barrel aged Imperial Stout with roasty malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones, all dancing in an oak bath.

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
2016 Bottles are 11% ABV
Reviews: 1,701 | Ratings: 6,508 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by ThaneMcC:
ThaneMcC from Germany

4.41/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 Vintage. Pour a deep dark brown with fair amount of tan head and mild effervescence. Aroma of roasted malts, dark fruit, cocoa, wood and perhaps some bourbon like notes. Tastes roasted malts forward, notes of cocoa, bourbon (mild and sweet), a mid-note twang of oak/vanilla and a very pleasant, mildly sweet finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a surprising amount of carbonation that adds to the twang and keeps things from becoming syrupy – a little thinner than others of this style.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer – the availability, price point is good, and I will stock up on this next time I see it – very good.
I’m not a bourbon drinker – but after this – I’ll have to do some research into bourbon and do a little sampling.

update - one of those beers that the more you drink - the more nuance and character. Lovely acidic quality - palate cleansing - solid bourbon notes and vanilla - yum - easily one of my favorites (and at a far more reasonable price point than goose island bourbon barrel stout)

Oct 09, 2015
Yeheshua

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Like this one a lot. Seems I'm an "outlier," so I need to elaborate. The bourbon flavor does make it a bit harsh, but that's balanced by a smooth creaminess that makes a great combination. The heartiness of the underlying stout itself is top notch as well, but I'm really not one to go into flowery descriptors so this will have to do.

Feb 01, 2015
mfnmbvp from Illinois

4.12/5  rDev +1%

12 oz. bottle, vintage 2014. 11.00% abv listed on the label. At long last I am finally getting around to trying the legendary New Holland Dragon's Milk that I always see.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - It pours a dark cola color but appears a near opaque black in the glass. Barely conjures a half finger of mocha head that disappears fast. Some good fat sticky lacing.

S - A buttery creamy aroma. Vanilla, cream, oak wood, mustiness, caramel. A very moderate but pleasant aroma. The creamy / buttery vanilla characteristics are dominant though. Mouthwatering, to be sure.

T - Taste follows the nose: cream, vanilla, caramel, oak wood, and some hot boozy bourbon warmth. Sweet and sugary, with some underlying notes of chocolate and dark roastiness. A touch of dark fruits.

M - The feel is extremely smooth & creamy, with mild bourbon alcohol heat.

Overall, a very enjoyable and underrated bourbon barrel stout from New Holland.

New Holland Dragon's Milk -----4/5.

Feb 11, 2015
egrandfield from Massachusetts

4.9/5  rDev +20.1%

Smooth, smooth, smooth. Can't really taste the alcohol, yet it is 11%. A real stout too (not one of those desert stouts). One is enough, but I'd love to have two.

Feb 10, 2019
BarrelyLegal from Kentucky

3.24/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A- Black body, khaki 1cm head uniform thickness across the beer. Disapates leaving thin horizontal lacing with few legs. 3.75

S - Sweet Bourbon and some booziness. Subtle sour smell. 2.75

T - Boozey and bourbony. Not too much of a roast malt, no coffee or chocolate. The thin Stout backbone gives this a bit of an Irish Car Bomb feel, like booze poured into a Guinness. 3.5

M - Thinner than most Barrel-aged stouts, leaves a little stickiness. Not super clean, but no unpleasant bitterness after. 3

O - I feel like this beer used to be the standard for Barrel-aged beer, but the bar has been raised significantly since it's start. This is the Irish Car Bomb beer. The style has been inflated. This is now a bottom tier BA stout. However; this classic doesn't have anything inherently wrong with it. It's thin, simple, but a classic. 3.25

Oct 22, 2016
BuckeyeNation from Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Darkest mahogany with sparkling ruby trim. The tight-bubbled cap of chocolate milk brown displays a wonderful moonscape surface of pits and bubbles that resembles caramelizing sugar. Thick sheets of tacky lace further affirm the outstanding appearance. I don't think I've ever seen an American strong ale that looks so much like a stout.

The nose, while aromatic enough, isn't what I'd call powerful or commanding. Chocolate is dominant, to the near exclusion of all else. Although there isn't as much complexity as I had hoped, I do appreciate dark fruit (dates) and a wee whiff of vanilla. I'll be disappointed if there's as little bourbon on the palate as there is in the nose.

Dragon's Milk is much more complex in the mouth and is becoming more so with every sip. The flavor profile features plenty of roasted malt flavors; especially dark chocolate and molasses. As it warms, vanilla and oak from the Jack Daniels casks becomes much more evident and the quality of the flavor surges forward as a result.

The final constellation is an intriguing mix of sugared vanilla beans, cocoa, caramel, brown sugar and bourbon whiskey. Vanilla, especially, fairly bursts out of each mouthful as the beer loses its slight chill. Any less than 4 months in the barrel wouldn't have been enough, and any more might have been too much. I started my bottle out at roughly 55 degrees and I can't emphasize enough how much it's improving as it approaches room temperature.

The mouthfeel seemed too light initially. Like the flavor, it comes into its own in smashing fashion in the bottom of the bottle. A notch more full than medium, it's wonderfully smooth with an understated (read: perfect) amount of carbonation. This is amazingly drinkable beer given the close to double-digit ABV.

I had two bottles of Dragon's Milk (thanks deejaydan) and decided to review the 2003 rather than the 2004 due to reports that an infection is threatening the well-being of the latter beer. No such worries with the '03, it has aged beautifully. This is one of New Holland's better offerings and is one that I'll be sure to look for on my semi-yearly trips back to Ohio.

Sep 02, 2005
Hugh37 from Tennessee

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Plenty good, robust stout. Dark, ruby colored with serious head. Lots of vanilla on top of the roasted malts of the stout. May be some bourbon undertones (if you'd read the label first).

Nov 25, 2016
BeastOfBourbon from Pennsylvania

Aroma of cocoa, coffee ice cream, sweet root beer, booze, vanilla, brown sugar and bourbon. Heavy dark brown, almost black pour. Tastes of cocoa, root beer, coffee ice cream, bourbon, spice, oak, vanilla with a booze on the back end. Robust, heavy, and full flavored. Lingering finish. Great beer.

Dec 15, 2018
ScaryEd from New Hampshire

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a thick, black liquid with a medium graham cracker head that dissipates very quickly.

The smell is oak, molasses, with a hint of chocolate on the back. I really love the oak forward aromas I'm sensing with this one.

The taste is about the same as the nose, except the bourbon makes its triumphant appearance. There are still hints of oak, chocolate, and even some vanilla. I do detect quite of bit of lingering alcohol burn on the end, but it is not a deterring factor. All in all, the taste is very heavily bourbon forward, which I enjoy quite a bit.

The mouthfeel is rather heavy and "chewy" with medium to medium-high carbonation. The alcohol definitely lingers but isn't distracting, especially not for an 11 abv.

I'd say this is a very underappreciated BBA Stout. In my opinion, it holds its own against the big guns. Very impressive, and at $2.99 for a 12 ounce bottle? Can't beat that.

Jun 18, 2015
Robin14 from Florida

4.71/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was my first introduction to an imperial stout and I fell in love from the first smell to the last sip. Itsyhard for people to understand a female liking something this strong11% dark and full of flavor. When I am asked how do you “drink it?” I say slow and with a great steak or a red sauce pasta!
This IS my happy place beer

Dec 17, 2018
Fourier_Loko from Pennsylvania

4.64/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Dense dark brown with small head. The look matches my expectations prior to pouring.
S: First time I am having a barrel aged stout, so this aroma is new to me on a beer. Getting the bourbon barrel oak first with vanilla underneath. Notable chocolate and banana once you get past the bourbon.
T: On the first few sips the bourbon barrel is immediately noticeable. As it comes closer to room temp the chocolatey and creamy malt character really balances well with the barrel oak which you start to get towards the end. Initially I thought the barrel aging might just be kind of a novelty, but it really does add character and balances the taste well.
F: Creamy with a pleasant carbonation for this type of beer.
O: This is a well executed beer all-around. It is a balanced and exciting option when I am in the mood for something with higher abv (11%). I normally don't drink stouts, but I will definitely drink more of this in the future.

Jan 06, 2019
robgutie from Illinois

4.31/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I think this gets overlooked becasue its so widely available but a really great stout. Stronger whiskey notes than other similar overall enjoyable.

Apr 01, 2015
alcoholicarrogance from Maine

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Had this at a beer festival and was one of the best ones I tried throughout the whole place. Has a great flavor of chocolate and vanilla without tasting overly sweet, artificial, or candy-like, there's a pleasant smokiness, perhaps roasted malts, and the high ABV is pretty noticeable and gives the taste a nice boost. It feels silky and smooth, just slides down the hatch very satisfyingly. It's not sticky or syrupy like some other imperial stouts I've had, more creamy. It smells just like it tastes. It looks very attractive, like black silk in liquid form. This might be one of the best, if not the best, stouts I've tried so far.

Mar 11, 2019
kentuckyboy from Kentucky

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

This is the first brew i've had the privilege of experiencing from New Holland and i must say, it was phenomenal! Nothing less than i had expected! I love barrel aged beers and am always excited when i get to try a new one.

Onto the review:

Poured into a Guiness glass and served cold

Look: Jet black with a nice fluffy and retaining head; beautiful.

Smell: Strong bourbon & chocolate. In that order. feel i could get drunk by just smelling this beer! well it is 11% alchohol, afterall.

Taste: Bourbon. bourbon bourbon bourbon! With a nice malt backbone and delicious chocolate aftertaste. Thick and creamy; just right! The alcohol is very prevalent in this brew

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy! VERY creamy. unlike anything I've ever had to be honest! I now understand why its called Dragon's Milk :)

Overall: Impressed! An excellent barrel aged beer! outstanding! i enjoyed every sip i had of this one. For a guy who prides himself in how much he can drink, this 11% alcohol ain't no joke! I am very impressed by New Holland and they seem to really know what a craft beer is. Will definitely buy again and am looking forward to trying more brews from them. Cheers!

May 21, 2016
Harrison8 from Missouri

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Pours black, with a medium-thin khaki head. Short head retention with only a handful of lacing dots left behind. Deep roasted malts, vanilla, and oak make up a dark aroma. Taste is sublime, with roasted malts, vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Feel is thick, and smooth. Not the most creamy or robust though. Overall, a sublime imperial stout. Readily available, and pleasant to drink give this one high regards for me.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

Apr 29, 2016
KellyScottMad from Wisconsin

Wow! This is a great beer. At first I thought it was a little to boozy, but after settling in on the bottle it was a nice warmth and flavor on the palate. I would put this Imperial stout at #3 on my list of best aged stouts.

Jun 02, 2015
MercInc from Wisconsin

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

States on the bottle that this is a "Bourbon Barrel" aged stout.
I tasted this twice, using different drinking temps. First, at 39 Degrees and the this evening, at 60 degrees. As we know, Cold temps often mask the beers true flavors (That's why you HAVE to drink Bud, and Miller at 32.5 Degrees) anyway, This brew pours very dark, with a thick tan colored head that at both temps dissipated in about 5 Minutes. I found the flavor at both temps very good. but at the warmer temp, I noticed a smoother richness. The malt notes were more noticeable. the hops less pronounced and the overall sweetness was enhanced. At 11.0 ABV, this brew is a bit boozy, no matter what temp you sample it at. Not for the faint of heart. Hence the name. A excellent stout. It has a spot in the "Beer Fridge".

Feb 07, 2019
Nass from Florida

4.64/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I have the bourbon barrel aged version of the Dragon's Milk Imperial stout. This is also an adjunct free imperial stout by the way. I have only had 3 other bourbon barrel aged stouts & I did not care for any of them. I am glad that I did not give up on the Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout beer style because it lead me to this wonderful creation. New Holland did a good job masking the 11% abv. I heard New Holland is starting to be mass produced, oh that is bad news. I am glad that I was able to try this beer before it got mass produced. So far this is World Class Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout in my opinion maybe my opinion will change after I drink a few more different Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts from a few different breweries. I also dig the name of this beer its clever. The bourbon gives this base beer somewhat of a vanilla thing going on with some faint cinnamon action interplaying their as well. Thanks to this beer I will continue to drink Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts, but it is too bad they sold out to AB INBEV. I expect the quality of this stout to go downhill eventually. Cheers! A

Oct 06, 2018
BeerWithMike from Nebraska

ALL "5's" across the board! Sampled last night on 6/18/15. Comes in a 4-pack at the local Hy-vee and contains right at 11% alcohol (ABV)! Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a 12 ounce 'Empyrean Brewing Co.' snifter glass.

Brew pours super close to a pitch-black in color with about a 1/2-finger foamy beige head. Lots of 'ring-like' lacing is seen when sipped. Aroma is of roasted malts and cocoa powder for the most part. Bit more going on with the taste as there is a hint of dark fruit (cherries?) along with a hint of vanilla also. No 'boozy' taste either as you might think with the 11% alcohol! Nice finish but does have a very mild bitter finish that lasts about 2 secs. Close to full-bodied with perfect carbonation, which isn't much as most types of this style are. You aren't going to drink more than 2 of these in a sitting I'm thinking. ;) A fantastic brew and a 'must try'!

Jun 19, 2015
HenryPorter7777 from Oklahoma

4.08/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

New Holland Brewing
Dragon’s Milk 11.0% ABV
31 IBUs
Bourbon barrel-aged Stout
Pours very Dark with light head and lacing; carbonation light/medium; site says pairs well with red/smoked meats, rich cheese, dark chocolate; New Holland :”lives between a porter, a stout, and a dark ale. Dark, roasty tones of a stout; coffee and chocolate from the malted barley; bourbon barrels brings sweet booziness of bourbon; the oak brings vanilla (and sometimes coconut).”
I found that this beer changed dramatically as it warmed with the chocolate overtones blending with the original bourbon sweetness. This is a year-round offering. Simply, an excellent beer. Personally, I would prefer Fall & Winter months. Excellent.

Nov 21, 2017
bushbeer75 from Michigan

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

poured from 22 oz. brown bottle - 2015 Vintage

New Holland Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout has a black body. A 1 1/2-finger bubbly and creamy khaki color head was produced that dissipated to a collar of foam in my snifter. The nose was dominated by an 'oakie' and roasted malt with just a splash of chocolate in the background. The taste was similar but more complex than the nose. The bourbon makes a nice appearance followed by an addition of caramel and vanilla. A pleasant alcohol warming is also noticed. The mouth feel is to the full side, creamy, and a little sticky with a medium carbonation. Due to its full flavor and its 11% abv it makes for a nice after dinner sipper.

If you are a fan of the American Double/Imperial Stout this is a must try. Well done New Holland.

Sep 03, 2015
HopHunter19 from Missouri

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

a - dark black brown beer, nice smooth tan head that leaves a nice lacing.
s - oak, vanilla, dark chocolatey malts, coffee, bourbon, really well blended
t - vanilla, creamy, bourbon, chocolate, umami/wholesomeness, oak barrel
m - medium-heavy, a little thin for an 11% BA stout, alc is mostly covered/some bourbon flavor gives you the impression of alcohol but it doesn't have a burn to it at all, aftertaste is bourbon/oak/dark malts
overall - two points to make here from previous reviews I've read:
#1. this is an incredibly well balanced bourbon barrel aged stout that's available year round, in most places. Anyone who gets "too much bourbon" off this beer just doesn't drink BBA stouts, period. For the availability and the length of time this is aged, this is as good as it can possibly get. And I did not age this bottle, this was the 2015 batch bought from the store yesterday, so I'm not biased by drinking an older bottle either.
#2. Any report of dark fruits in this beer is highly likely imagined. This beer has a dry character characteristic of an American ale yeast. I'm not getting figs, plums, cherries, etc, and I shouldn't be. It's not a Belgian stout.
Great beer. Have bought many times and will buy it again many more. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Oct 18, 2015
Ahypercube from California

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Alright, I just want to be clear that I ain't hatin. Producing a year-round BA Imperial Stout is no small feat. It certainly fills a niche. Plus, the idea of milking a dragon and it coming out as a frothy BA Stout is surprisingly charming. Unfortunately it just isn't on par with its less common competitors.

L: Nice bottle, entertaining theme. Pours with just a half centimeter of mocha foam that dissipates quickly. Ends up looking just like a sweet cold-brewed black coffee. Not as black as most BA stouts; the body is more of a dark brown.

S: Not bad. Vanilla, fudge, coffee, coconut, caramel, raisins, a hint of orange and a milk chocolate finish. However, there's not much grainy/bready character going on, and what is there smells a bit stale.

T: Holds its own for a couple seconds, but then it falls apart. Fudge, vanilla, and coffee host a party and some sweet raisins and salty pretzels show up. With coconut and licorice planning to stop by later, you're anticipating a good sip. But then a stale cardboard note shows up and makes the whole thing weird until everyone else clears out.

F: Thin. Flat. Syrupy. Stale aftertaste... It could be worse, but that's not the goal.

O: A great choice if you want to get intoxicated quickly and you really want to be drinking beer. However, it's a poor substitute for the rich, roasty elixirs that most other breweries release a small batch of once a year or less. However, if you eat fruits out of season, you can't expect them to taste the same either. Maybe it's a necessary compromise.

Mar 13, 2018
Trooper92292 from Illinois

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a incredible beer. The bourbon really stands out but is not overpowering. A great sweet after taste of chocolate milk.

Jun 02, 2015
DaneBramage from Illinois

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: dark chocolate in a tall glass
S: chocolate with hints of cocoa
T- chocolate and cherries with cocoa and coffee hints, more robust flavor than your typical stout or porter
F- malty, bitter aftertaste
O- a local restaurant just got it on tap and I'll be having it again, went well with almond chicken salad. Not as good as Founders Breakfast Stout but still very drinkable. On a side note, I got home after drinking it and took a 2-hour nap, it damn near knocked me out. Double stouts tend to sap all of my energy.

Jun 15, 2015