Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,439 | Ratings: 5,440
3.84/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Pours a dark brown body with an extremely small tan head that's fast receding.

S: Strong aroma of vanilla from the oak, booze, roasted malts, milk chocolate, & a hint of dark fruits.

T: Initial flavor is a strong alcohol bite followed by milk chocolate, vanilla, & woody notes. There is a bit of a creamy flavor to it as well roasted malts that play out nicely against the burn of the high ABV.

D: Medium body, light carbonation, creamy and pillowy texture.

M: I have to say, I think the burn from the ABV in the flavor plays against this beer for me. If the mouthfeel was a bit heavier, I think it could help, but this would be a 1-2 beers most. Really enjoyed it, but the burn can be a bit much.

3.84/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into an Orval glass.

The beer pours a dark brown with a light tan head that rises only about half a finger and is gone pretty quickly. The lacing is light.

The aroma is medium and very nice. Its very malty lots of sweet chocolate with a nice smooth oak finish.

The taste is a little to sweet and watery for my tasty. The sweetness isn't balanced with much oak or bourbon so its a little offputting.

Overall, good start bad finish. Has some potential.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance - Pours jet black with cola brown edging where light can penetrate. Poured aggressively, it produced a cocoa powder colored finger with head with good retention. Nice, fine and silky lacing with great stick.

Smell - Alcohol astringent forward aroma, with lesser notes of vanilla and chocolate.

Taste - Starts with strong notes of vanilla and alcohol. Strong alcohol heat throughout. Mid-taste a chalky chocolate flavor makes it's debut. Aftertaste hits on mocha coffee and faint alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation. Smooth and creamy to start, but the alcohol gives a thinning, dry finish.

Overall - This is a good stout, but comes through with a lot of heat. I imagine this being a beer hard alcohol drinkers might like; I myself find it a bit too aggressive and transparent. Decent complexity that's overwhelmed by the near numbing heat. That said, there's just enough redeeming stout character that I'd drink it again.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

First and foremost, a huge thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for hooking me up with this beer. Cheers friend!

Appearance - Pours a dark chocolate color into my Bell's Tulip. Slight light can be seen through the beer. Less than a finger of tan head is achieved with a vigorous pour, which dissipates relatively fast leaving thin lacing.

Smell - I will admit, my nose is a hint stuffed up tonight, however, despite this I feel there is not a whole lot going on in the nose. I can smell the vanilla and oak, slight chocolate, dark fruits such as plum, and caramel/toasted malt.

Taste - An odd bitterness is at the forefront (a bitterness I was not expecting from the nose). There is heavy oak, bourbon, and vanilla. The more I drink this and the beer warms up, the more prominent the vanilla becomes. There is only a slight chocolate characteristic here - the overall sweetness is from the vanilla and molasses flavors. A bit cloying in the sweetness department.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light bodied, a bit watery to be honest. Decent carbonation.

Drinkability - For the style and ABV, relatively so. I don't get any alcohol flavor nor burn. I will admit, however, that the New Holland Night Tripper Kevin sent me was a hell of a lot better than this. I would be interested to see how this beer would do in the cellar for a year or two. I think it would do quite a bit for it and will have to try this again in the future after a few years of age on it.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Aromas of dark roasted espresso beans with ample amounts of dark baker's chocolate. AS it warms you get slight alcohol, oak and light vanilla.

The taste starts off with milk chocolate cocoa powder and some oakiness that fades into a bitter dark chocolate boozy finish. One again as you let this warm to the appropriate temperature you get lesser notes of coconut and vanilla and a more prevalent sweetness/fruitness that is undetectable initially.

Mouthfeel was full with the oak aging helping to dry out the complex high ABV, maltiness and overall flavor profile. Overall I really enjoyed this beer, not as good as I first remember when I sampled it on draft at the original Savor, but still good non-the-less.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Pours a deep, dark brown, bordering on black. Hints of amber and ruby are present if you hold it up to the light. No head to speak of, and little lacing is left behind.

S: Not much - some wood is definitely present, some caramel, a hint of vanilla.

T: The oak is one of the leading flavors, imparting it's wonderful taste upon this beer. A nice solid caramel malt is in the center, with some hints of vanilla, and even a bit of coffee. Some brandy is definitely there from the aging. No real hops are noticeable. Very tasty.

M: Smooth and a little viscous, as one might expect. Decent carbonation.

D: This is a pretty good strong ale - if I could get it up here, I would likely buy it from time to time. Definitely worth a try though.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours almost black with a small head that dissipates quickly. Looks pretty much like a bourbon barrel stout should look.

S: Chocolate, some coffee, maybe a bit of vanilla. Oddly, not much in the way of bourbon.

T: Just a bit of bourbon with more coffee and chocolate. Drinks very smoothly, even at 11 percent ABV.

M: Very good, but not great; smooth and silky with some alcohol sting late.

O: Very good representation of the style. It's less "bourbony" than many of the other beers in this genre, but drinking Dragon's Milk is a good experience overall.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

A: When I poured this beer from a bottle to a pint glass, it had a black color and a thick consistency. There was a quarter inch head and some good lacing.

S: Not exactly an overpowering aroma, but solid. Strong presence of malt, chocolate and a bit of hops.

T: When you drink this, you get a big shot of coffee, then chocolate, then roasted malt. There's also some caramel in there as well. Very tasty and pretty complex.

M: This had a fair amount of carbonation and a smooth finish. It's not quite a full-bodied beer, but not a medium-bodied, either. Something in between.

D: This is a drinkable beer. It's a little on the heavy side, but it has a solid taste and a goes down easy.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Wasn’t expecting too much from this beer and it was a pleasant surprise that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Pours like a good imperial stout should, jet black with a frothy brown head. Head dissipated fairly quickly, some patchy lacing remained on the glass.

Nose is chocolaty will prominent oak, maybe some subtle dark fruit, vanilla, coffee. Decently roasty. In the tasting the oak is there but not as prominent as in the nose, which I felt was a good thing; a little oak barrel is nice but I don’t always want to drink something that tastes like a wood shop. Again there was plentiful chocolate, a hint of vanilla and coffee, some raisins and figs, and a very mild touch of tartness that was a little odd. Thankfully it wasn’t particularly noticeable.

Body is medium-full, with moderate carbonation and a somewhat sticky overall mouthfeel. This is a pretty good beer, certainly not upper echelon, but not bad at all either. Lacks the fullness, heft, and complexity of the best of the style but also the pricetag of most. Worth a shot at least.

edit: more than two years and over a thousand beers later I find much of what I mentioned above still true, but I'd amend things by saying the body is firmly medium and isn't that sticky at all. Carbonation is medium but on the high side for style. Ultimately the feel is a little unsatisfying.

I'll give this beer credit for nicely counterbalancing sweet and roasty elements, but at this point I'm looking for more barrel out of my BA beers and more complexity out of this style in general.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Pours black with a thin, quickly disappearing, tan head. Opaque, but not motor oil thick like I was expecting.
S: Can definitely smell oak and vanilla. Some chocolate as well. All malt.
T: Sweetness hits up front along with a roasted coffee undertone. The vanilla not also makes an appearance. Alcohol pops up on the end giving it a somewhat sour finish.
M: Full, but not chewy. Carbonation seemed a bit low. Despite the alcohol in the taste, it doesn't really burn. It definitely warmed me up.
O: All the pieces are there but they don't quite come together like I'd hoped. The ABV isn't hidden as well as in others I've had. Not bad by any stretch. Great way to warm up on a cold day.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle poured into a sniffer produced a fingers worth of tan head that turned to lace on top of a black body

Aromas of chocolate and coffee filled my nose a nice oak woodiness as well

Taste the same as the nose but with slight alcohol warmth

Full bodied brew not much carbonation

I had this before I flew out of VA and I am glad I did it turned into a long flight. I finished the bomber by myself and was looking for more it's a good brew

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a dark brown in color. Head was offwhite in color. Or you could probably say tan in color. Had a nice two fingered head that didnt hang around very long. Left some lacing, but not alot. Smelled of alcohol, caramel, and malt. Tasted sweet like caramel. Also notes of cream, oak, and alcohol. Felt good in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was right. With the higher ABV, you couldnt make this a session beer. But it sure tasted good on a cool October evening.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

2006 courtesy of Nittanybeerfan. Dan, you are the man!!!

Poured from a 22 oz. Pours a nice chocolate hazy brown which shows some translucency around the edges. It yields a nice creamy tan head which laces the glass quite nicely.

Nice sweet chocolate and roasted caramel scents. Really creamy chocolate is very pleasing. Some vanilla and light oak reside here as well. Nicely done, but it is too subdued.

The taste mirrors the scent. The flavors are full blown and come out nicely, but they lack that over the top robustness found in some of the other Old Ales that I have had. Fairly creamy, with a nice roasted caramel flavor on the tail of the glass. Really good beer. The mouthfeel is a little bit thin, but that is overlooked in the high drinkability.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance - Can't see through it ... that's promising! Not much head,but at 10% ABV, that's to be be expected.

Smell - I mostly smell a raisiny, sweet smell ... also very promising.

Taste - there is a slight bite of something ... possibly a slight uncharacteristic flavor that doesn't seem like it belongs. Maybe a hop / malt disagreement?

Mouthfeel - ever so slightly a bit too carbonated for a perfect beer, in my opinion, but a good mouthfeel in general.

Overall - not bad, but my expectations were higher by previous info I was given. Wouldn't turn it down, but wouldn't make it a go to beer either.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

I got this in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

This pours a very dark brown with reddish highlights and about a 1 finger head of tannis foam. Average head retention but it does have some nice lacing.

The smell is dominated by caramel malt but I also get some roasted malt, vanilla, and wood. Pretty nice nose.

The taste has notes of caramel and roasted malt, toffee, a real oaky flavour, and a bit of dark fruit but mostly caramel and toffee and it's hitting my tastebuds nicely. Oh, now I'm noticing a bit of vanilla; it's stronger in the smell than in the taste.

The body is thinner than I expected though it is quite creamy, carbonation is on the low side, and the abv is hidden pretty well.

Because of it's smoothness, I find it quite drinkable.. a very nice American Strong Ale indeed. I'd drink it again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Medium-dark brown, with a coppery tint. No real head, but a decent ring of tan fuzz.

Tons of vanilla in the nose. A hint of smoke, also, and a lot of toffee and caramel notes from the malt. Some booze, but not to unpleasant levels. Oaky, but smooth.

Taste is vanilla, oak, toffee, a hint of chocolate, a hint of peat and a noticeable but not hot alcohol presence. I bought this in July, so it's at least 5 months old. It's very nice. Really smooth. This is a barrel-aged beer where the barrel is prominent, and I'm generally a fan of forward oak, so I've got no complaints about that.

Feel is a bit thin, and it's a little flat, even for the style.

Decently drinkable for the style. Suffers a little from the flat feel, but it's delicious enough that I can overlook that.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

A= Pours a black color with brown highlights around the edges. A nice perfect one and a half finger head rises from it that's a tan color and has great retention and some spotty lacing.
S= I smell a lot of coffee in it with touches of chocolate. There's a definite vanilla and oak odor coming from it as well.
T= Very oaky. Vanilla comes through with the coffee and chocolate malts. The finish tastes just like wood. This is the woodiest beer that I have every had. That's pretty much how to describe it. There's a slight amount of hop bitterness that comes through as well but it's very covered by the oak taste.
M= Not really happy with this actually. This beer seems a little thin and I wish it was drier.
D= Decent. Like I mentioned this is a very woody beer. Tastes great but the mouthfeel is subpar. I'll prolly look for it again sometime to age and see how it progresses. Not a bad beer.

12oz Bottle poured into snifter

A - Motor oil black. Thin head that dissipated quickly. No lacing.

S - Strong chocolate and coffee tones. Deep, dark malts come through as well.

T - It smells darker than it tastes. However, it tastes just like it smells. A big dark malty, coffee, and dark chocolate kind of taste

M - Coats the mouth and throat, the lack of head makes it feel less creamy than I would like. Its not watery by any means, but it is not thick by any means either.

D - Sharp going down, but overall a very good after dinner sipper

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Served from a 1 pint 6 fl oz bottle into my duvel glass.

Pours a rich mahogany color with a two finger mocha colored head that fades away quite quickly and leaves a ring around the edge of the glass. Minimal lacing clings to my glass. I should mention that once the beer is in the glass it looks quite black in color.

Smells of sweetened chocolate, oak, vanilla, smoked wood chips, spices, slight alcohol,,

Upfront taste of oak and hints of vanilla flavor with a rich coffee taste that bitters it up. Sweet tartness like taste follows through and leaves with a waxy oak like sweetness on the palate.

Medium bodied with good carbonation, waxy oily type feel. Slight bitter finish, not like many other RIS.

I would rather pick something up. This sort of reminds me of the espresso oak aged yeti, but far less tastier. So meaning I would rather pick something else up and would not drink this again.

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz brown bottle with a vintage date of 2011 on the label.

LOOK: Dark brown, nearly black with ruby edges. Good lacing even if it is a bit thin.

SMELL: Oaky, vanilla, barrel juice, boozy, mild char, toasted bread, burnt raisins, fig jam

TASTE: Very smooth, wood, char, mildly fusel, vanilla, burnt sugar, dark chocolate, chicory, booze soaked raisins, charred drying finish

A really good barrel aged brew that rides the path of a stout, a big beer that you'll need to sip. Very well balanced, had fun drinking this one.

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%

Was at HopCat in Grand Rapids a few weeks ago and came across this lovely beer. Bartender served it to me in a tulip glass from a cask.

a- Very dark brown to black in color with ruby highlights if you hold it up to the light. Tan head that goes away really fast with very little lacing in the glass.
s- The aroma of this beer is what really attracted me. Coffee, Chocolate, Oak and Alcohol. As the beer warmed up the oak and alcohol really sines through though.
t- What I tasted from the beer was a malty oakiness with alcohol. The beer was very hot and the alcohol is very much present in this one.
m- Light carbonation due to the fact that the cask had been tapped for a few days. The beer has a medium mouthfeel that kind of lingers around after its down the hatch.
d- I doubt I could really have more than one every few hours. This is a very good beer I just think the alcohol in it was a bit much and came through too much to drink more than one in one sitting.

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%

This brew is best served at cellar temp to allow the fullness of the flavors to come through. It pours almost pitch black with a fizzy head that quickly desolves to a ring that laces the glass. When cold the aroma is alcohol and wood and maybe some malt. Once warmed it takes on a completely different aroma--and flavor. At cellar temp the rich vanilla comes out and the oak mellows. The flavor is a nice splash of oaky vanilla. The oak isn't overpowering though. There is a not so subtle twang of alcohol--this is a big big beer and you feel it . Maybe the recipe has been tweaked given what I've read from prior reviews.
In the mouth there is subtle carbonation and a very full bodied flavor that is alcohol warm but still smooth. Not a high drinkability rating--this beer will smack you.

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%

22 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Near black in color with dark ruby hues. Craggy tan head pours two fingers thick. Some retention. Nice sticky lacing clings to the glass.

S: Charred oak barrel. Roasted malts. Raw hops. Vanilla. Alcohol.

T: Flavors of burnt caramel malts and vanilla come through and give way to charred oak barrel taste. Raw earthy hops lend a soft bitter bite and are followed by tastes of toffee and dark fruit. This brew is dry with a big and warm oak aged bourbon finish.

M: Smooth and slightly thin. Minimal carbonation. Warm and dry.

D: This is a nice strong ale, but the oak barrel flavors were a bit over the top. I will age another offering for some time before I sample this one again. Recommended.

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served ou tof a 12oz bottle.

A- Not as dark as a stout, deep mahogany color. Slight head retention.

S- Carmel raisin with big time alcohol/bourbon, some oakiness, slight cardboard, some vanilla

T- Balanced, heavy on bourbon in the beginning, slight vanilla in the end, minimal oak flavor. There is a nice smootheness to it.

M- Medium body, light carbonation, has a slickness in the beginning and then a nice dryness in the finish.

D- It depends if you like bourbon or not, nice balance. It is a smooth beer, the warmer it gets the more aromas and flavors come out.

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%

Just about as dark as they come, with a quarter inch head after an aggressive pour. Head dissapated quickly, but left good lacing throughout.

Aroma was malt and chocolate, not getting much oak. Carbonation was low, with a thick syrupy mouthfeel.

VERY sweet, no hop presence at all. Could not drink more than 2 of these due to the sweetness and strength.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company