Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,446 | Ratings: 5,489
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It is clean and not so sweet, but the oak/bourbon is just right. As it warms the sweetness comes forward a little and some slight fruit even rears it's head. No chocolate or coffee to speak of. Glad I found this beer.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into tulip.

A: Pours almost pitch black with minimal mocha colored head. I've read that there wasn't much head, so I poured it very strong, but still got less then 1/2 finger.

S: malty, chocolaty, with a hint of bourbon

T: outstanding. I've been exploring bourbon barrel aged beers recently, and this is one of my favorites. Very malty, with hints of chocolate and bourbon. The bourbon factor really comes through in the aftertaste. Leaves an excellent taste in the mouth

M: Thick,light carbonation. Excellent for a nice stout

O: Great beer to sit back and really enjoy. I drank it watching football, but I would love to get a nice medium rare steak to enjoy this with. I only bought one, and I found myself putting off my next beer so that I could keep the taste from this brew around. One of the best bourbon barrel aged beers I've had the pleasure of trying.

4.24/5  rDev +6.8%

Nice Beer! Much better than I expected. It pours a dark, reddish-brown that's nearly black. The head is a medium-tan, although it falls somewhat quickly. The aroma is what makes this beer so enticing. It's woody, smokey, and has a huge, intense vanilla note. Wow. Strong malt, and a roasted-nut scent behind the wood, this is complex and very rewarding to sniff. Alcohol is folded into the aroma as well, with a brandy-like boozy-ness. The taste is drier than expected with a lot of warmth and malt. Roasted notes, and a bit of grain. Medium in body. This is good stuff.

4.24/5  rDev +6.8%

Pouring the beer my mouth started to water. It pours out smooth and dark with a decent head to it. Take a sniff and it smells rich and full with a hint of sweetness. It's got a great taste that lets you know it's been in an oak barrel. This is one beer I say you all have to try at lest once.

Vintage 2015 - 11% abv

Pours black with a creamy tan head. Smells of toasty vanilla, caramel, toffee, oak, and roasted malt. Taste is caramel, vanilla, toffee, oak, bourbon, and some roasty malt. Feels light, slightly creamy with mild carbonation. Overall a good bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. Not much chocolate or coffee, but deep in caramel vanilla richness.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tasted from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass (the best I had in a hotel room).

L - Dark brown color and clear when held up to the light. Head is off-white and not persistent.

S - Great aromas of chocolate, vanilla and oak. I have to use my imagination to detect bourbon whisky in the background. Aromas not as assertive as some in this style.

T - Sweet, malty flavors dominate. I get bread, chocolate, low coffee and low bourbon whisky. No hops or yeast notes evident, as expected.

F - Medium to thick body. Low but creamy carbonation. Moderate alcohol burn. Hops bitterness keeps the sweetness at bay, but bitterness is not a factor that comes to the forefront.

O - A great bourbon barrel stout but not as huge and complex as some.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on draft and really liked it. This is definitely a slow sipper - sweet, thick, notes of vanilla and bitter chocolate, tobacco and oak, boozy. Fantastic bitter chocolate smell.

Tasted On: 05-06-2013
Freshness: 2012 Vintage
Packaging: 12 oz. bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Snifter
Purchased: Received in a trade

Pours a black and opaque beer, with a small tan head that doesn't last long. Lacing on the glass is good.

Aromas have sweet milk chocolate, wood/oak, vanilla, dark ripened fruits and alcohol notes.

The taste is super rich with a big opening of malty sweetness, roasted grains and then vanilla and chocolates. Has quite an alcohol presence as well.

The mouthfeel is creamy on a thick body. It finishes in a very similar fashion to the taste -- malty, chocolate, woody, sweet and boozy.

Overall this is a very strong and delightful oak-aged stout; a real treat for sipping at the end of the day.

Big thanks to Cameron (TheBishopco) for bringing me this from my wants list!

4.24/5  rDev +6.8%

Ordered in a bottle, served in small goblet.

A- Dark, yet not opaque like most stouts. Had an almost dark brown/reddish appearance to it. Light head that dissipated quickly, dark khaki in color.

S- Had a wonderful aroma. Notes of vanilla, caramel, and slight brown sugar scent. Does have a whiskey almost bourbon undertone due to the oak barrel aging.

T- Taste was fantastic, even for the high ABV count, was not over bearing as in some other oak-aged beers. First taste I picked up the heavy caramel, and dark vanilla taste. Finished with a warming spice aftertaste.

M- Was a little thin for a stout, however still had that warming sensation from the alcohol. And did settle heavy

D- Not a very quick drinking beer. It has to be enjoyed slowly in order to enjoy the unique flavors.

Bottom Line: Was a very unique brew, that I was fairly surprised with, for a stout very flavorful, and had a nice spice undertone. Would not suggest as a before dinner beer. Would more suggest as a dessert beer.

Pairing ideas; Suitable with chicken, or fish. Would not combine with any spicy or hot dishes.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My ex-father in law was born in Holland, MI. For years I associated Holland with the conservative Dutch Reformers who frown on beer (and all alcohol). Now comes this brew which I shared with friends who came home to help repair my ailing computer.

A: It poured a dark black body that when back lit was ruby red. The head was a moderate dark tan despite an aggressive pour. The head receded fast to a ring around the collar and there was a modest and diminishing lacing.

S- After resting it emitted the aroma of richly toasted malts, vanilla and caramel as well as hints of chocolate, nuts and bourbon.

T: My first impression was not all that favorable but as I got deeper into the beer my esteem grew. It had a smooth rich roasted malt flavor with hints of chocolate, caramel and vanilla. The flavors of the oak added to the nutty flavors and the hops were recessive but gave the back side a touch of tang and diluted coffee. The high ABV was well hidden.

M: It had a medium creamy body with low carbonation and a warm sweet finish.

D: This beer grew on me. It is light enough to last long into the night but the high ABV would catch up with me and cause an early end to the night. My respect for Holland, MI was reestablished by this nice solid brew.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Very dark, it looks almost black at first glance. When held up to the light, it appears dark reddish brown. There's not much in the way of head, just a small off-white ring of lace, but that's not too surprising considering the oak aging.

S- Caramel, toffee, vanilla, and a hint of coffee are all apparent in the aroma. It's like dessert in a glass!

T- Rich toffee and vanilla flavors dominate the palate, with a touch of astringent roasted malt. The finish is dry and woody, with a decent amount of hop bitterness.

M- Kind of thin here; I would have preferred a little more body. Good, lively carbonation, though.

D- Really no hint of the 8.5% ABV. I wouldn't want to drink a ton of it in one sitting because of its richness, but one bottle can go down pretty quickly.

I was impressed with this beer. The oak aging was done well and added a great character. I've had other oak-aged beers that were either overpowered by the oak or were not perceptibly changed by the aging. Neither was the case with this beer. This is a very good beer to have once in a while as an after dinner treat. Recommended.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

23 ounce bomber poured into the Founders pint glass. Very wordy label etched on the bottle with a nice story on the back.

The dragon milk pours a deep brown color with a nice bubbly cream colored head that doesn't hang around too long. Not much lacing lines the glass. The nose has very subtle hints of caramel and vanilla. Not much oak is noticed, but I am picking up some alcohol characteristics. Taste is quite complex with sweet vanilla and raisins with a nice bitter chocolate oak finish. Each sip I am picking up different tastes. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and overall I think this is a very tasty brew. The aromas and taste are both full of complexity and keeps the drinker at the edge of the seat.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Very strong alcohol nose and taste at first, a little more than my rookie self likes. As it warms up however, the "alcoholness" fades (though never disappears) to a much more enjoyable level and the taste is much more balanced. Enjoyed it quite a bit after the alcohol burn faded, not so much 'til then.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Nice Chocolate Vanilla taste, vanilla nose, solid lacing. The bourbon barrel aging comes thru but not too strong; especially for an 11%er. My first experience with New Holland; I'm impressed. Think this would be even better with nitro, its a little on the thin side; think it would also be better if aged a year. My rating of 4.25 is pretty generous I think; maybe closer to a 4.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

22 oz. bottle, 9% ABV. Almost jet black in color, with a thick tan frothy head. The head trickles to a thin layer rather quickly. Vanilla, oak, whiskey and a bit of coffee in the nose. Very smooth, slick, and almost silky. My first impression was that it had a great deal of sweetness, like sweet cream. Vanilla flavor, with just a hint of whiskey. Almost no roasty tones at all, which seemed odd looking at the color. Body seems a bit light, but the lower carbonation works for me. Very smooth, alcohol seems non-existant. Almost too drinakble. The barrel flavor here is done very well, not overwhelming, simply adding a nice layer of flavor. This is outstanding.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Gift from my girlfriend for my birthday. Enjoyed with her and my dad.

A&S: slight coffee, lots of vanilla and woody aroma. almost bourbon alcohol tones in the smell.
Nice foamy tan head with good lacing. jet black colored beer.

T&M: slightly sour. Dark chocolate tones in the tastes more so then the smell. lots of alcohol but more of a scotch ale. On the high side of medium bodied and the low side of medium carbonation.

Overall: very well put together double. By far my favorite commonly found new holland beer, and I think most would agree with me.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Since my buddy lives in Holland Michigan, I should take his word for it and give these guys a try.

Hew Holland doesn't dissapoint. I have had "The Poet" and the "Mad Hatter" which were both very good but this one is by far better than either one of those beers.

A - Brown to Dark Brown in color. Some light does come through but not much. As far as any head....not much. Nice coloring.

S - Good. Some roasted malts and carmel notes come through. I really like the barrel smell. Very nice but not overpowering. Woody. Earthy. Good.

T - Excellent. Reminds me of a thicker version of Rocky's Revenge. Definite chocolate malt carmel and oak barrel come through. No alcohol at all which is nice for an 8.5% beer. Some carination but not too much. I want to be drinking with a good stake sitting around a camp fire in Northern Minnesota.

M - For such a lighter beer compared to most thick stouts, this Strong Dark Ale is very very creamy. Coats the mouth and tongue. Nice. Very high marks for mouthfeel.

D - You will all die when you hear how much I paid for this 22 oz bomber...$3.99. A new liqior store in town and they have some of their bottles and beers marked WAY to low. In every other store in town, it is at least double this. Excellent find and excellent beer to have on this windy Minnesota Winter day.

Overall, I will for sure pick up more of this in the very near future.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hands down the best beer I could walk into any distributor and buy a case of at any time. For that its a 10/10 (availability/price). As for a bb stout it's on the lacking end (yet still better than some seasonal releases I've had). This beer will always have a special place in my heart as my introductory bba beer and I will always go back to it but up against the other power house bba beers it's a sam adams verse a three floyds. Towards the bottom of its class but still MILES above most other "regular" options.

4.25 overall

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Had this on tap 2 days ago at La Cav Du Vin. Shortly after I got mine, my friend Passow (imaguitargod) killed the keg! Drawn into a goblet. This beer is a dark brown color. Tan head maybe 1/4 inch when first drawn into the glass. Settles fairly quickly to a thin surface layer with a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass. Sweet malty aromas of chocolate, some coffee and perhaps a bit of vanilla or dark fruit of some type is present here. The taste is also sweet, sort of biscuity and malty with all the aforementioned chocolate, vanilla, and coffee flavors. Very little to no hop bitterness here. Definitely the least hoppy beer of this style I have ever had. This beer reminded me of a lot of milk/sweet stouts I have had. Has a crisp, frothy, and full bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Excellent drinkability! A great beer! Too bad it is all tapped out, at least for now, at La Cav Du Vin.

Eric

look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Not a major head of foam. Darker off white head of foam, deep dark red to brown. Doesnt build that classic stout head.

S: Scotchy oak with roasty chocolate notes. Very pleasent aroma.

T: Wow. Nose is chocolate and roasted malts, middle is vanilla notes with a slight cocoa puffs familiarity, finish is boozy but sweet. A really delicious beer.

M: sweet on the tongue and chewy thickness, flavor hangs around on the tongue and in the nasal passage. However, its the boozy aftertaste that keeps this from being perfect as it burns a great deal. If it was less strong i would say it 'warms', it doesnt.

D: Absolutely an excellent once in a blue moon beer for desert.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

22oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

Dragon's Milk pours the color of coffee and sits in the glass near-black with a heavy two-finger tan head. It leaves thick but spotty lace.

The smell, taste, and feel of Dragon's Milk is like an assault. It has the smell and taste of bitter dark chocolate and wood, and an aggressive bitterness that slaps the tongue around a little. There's a strong alcohol presence that left me feeling warm.

I like assertive beer and this one is very much so. Dragon's Milk felt like it feels to sit in a dark brown leather chair in an ornately decorated high-end whiskey bar. It's best sipped slowly and allowed to warm in the glass.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a pint glass, a deep dark color with decent head, shrinking to a swirling, snarling film, very appropriate, and not so much lacing. Aroma is full of chocolate, a creamy, woody vanilla, some bourbon or something, a little on the subtle side but quite nice. Taste is not so subtle, a potent but well infused with lots of lively chocolate, some plum, hops being minimal, malty as a bastard, bourbon tweaking the edge of my mouth into a grin. really quite nice. Mouth is creamy, smooth, very warm, nice. Overall, I'm a fan. A fan who is glad he has more of it.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

I paid $7.99 for the bomber. According to the bottle this is the 2011 vintage and part of their High Gravity Series. The label says the ABV is 10.0% (BeerAdvocate reports it is 9%)

I often open a new bottle with dinner and break out my pen and little notepad. My 4 year old daughter likes to smell each one I try. When she smelled this I asked her what she thought. She said, "chocolate!" She'll have to wait 17 more years but it was obvious to a 4 year old that the nose was dominated by chocolate here.

It poured a dark brown, near black with some ruby tones. It gave a thin tan head.

The flavors were of cocoa, coffee, toffee, and toasty vanilla derived from the oak barrels. The oak was evident and I'd guess they are using American oak barrels and the oak was upfront and French oak would have been too subtle for the brew, though might have been nice and subdued.

Dragon's Milk gave a long finish with a bit of alcohol bite on the side of the tongue and a little bit of oak tannins drying the mouth.

Overall, very nice, though I might prefer New Holland's Night Tripper slightly. I'd buy this again. Good stuff and while not cheap at $7.99, still a decent value for a bomber when others charge over $10 for lesser beers.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Malty notes, and molasses on the nose. Served in a brandy sniffer, first sip brings out the oak bourbon on the palate,
Black in color, not much head. I enjoy American strong ales as much as the next guy, so I'll be adding this to my list of very drinkable beers. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle thanks to Daniel. Pours a dark brown/red color with a large light-brown head. The aroma is very nice; lots of roasted notes, some chocolates, some woody aspects also. The taste is excellent; initially sweet malts, milky and thick roasted malt flavors, some sweet chocolates, and some light and earthy wood flavors in the finish. Very easygoing, and hardly hot at all. Very decadent and extremely milky. Some alcohol present, but overall, a very quaffable brew. Very enjoyable.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company