Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,432 | Ratings: 5,413
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My ex-father in law was born in Holland, MI. For years I associated Holland with the conservative Dutch Reformers who frown on beer (and all alcohol). Now comes this brew which I shared with friends who came home to help repair my ailing computer.

A: It poured a dark black body that when back lit was ruby red. The head was a moderate dark tan despite an aggressive pour. The head receded fast to a ring around the collar and there was a modest and diminishing lacing.

S- After resting it emitted the aroma of richly toasted malts, vanilla and caramel as well as hints of chocolate, nuts and bourbon.

T: My first impression was not all that favorable but as I got deeper into the beer my esteem grew. It had a smooth rich roasted malt flavor with hints of chocolate, caramel and vanilla. The flavors of the oak added to the nutty flavors and the hops were recessive but gave the back side a touch of tang and diluted coffee. The high ABV was well hidden.

M: It had a medium creamy body with low carbonation and a warm sweet finish.

D: This beer grew on me. It is light enough to last long into the night but the high ABV would catch up with me and cause an early end to the night. My respect for Holland, MI was reestablished by this nice solid brew.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Very dark, it looks almost black at first glance. When held up to the light, it appears dark reddish brown. There's not much in the way of head, just a small off-white ring of lace, but that's not too surprising considering the oak aging.

S- Caramel, toffee, vanilla, and a hint of coffee are all apparent in the aroma. It's like dessert in a glass!

T- Rich toffee and vanilla flavors dominate the palate, with a touch of astringent roasted malt. The finish is dry and woody, with a decent amount of hop bitterness.

M- Kind of thin here; I would have preferred a little more body. Good, lively carbonation, though.

D- Really no hint of the 8.5% ABV. I wouldn't want to drink a ton of it in one sitting because of its richness, but one bottle can go down pretty quickly.

I was impressed with this beer. The oak aging was done well and added a great character. I've had other oak-aged beers that were either overpowered by the oak or were not perceptibly changed by the aging. Neither was the case with this beer. This is a very good beer to have once in a while as an after dinner treat. Recommended.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

23 ounce bomber poured into the Founders pint glass. Very wordy label etched on the bottle with a nice story on the back.

The dragon milk pours a deep brown color with a nice bubbly cream colored head that doesn't hang around too long. Not much lacing lines the glass. The nose has very subtle hints of caramel and vanilla. Not much oak is noticed, but I am picking up some alcohol characteristics. Taste is quite complex with sweet vanilla and raisins with a nice bitter chocolate oak finish. Each sip I am picking up different tastes. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and overall I think this is a very tasty brew. The aromas and taste are both full of complexity and keeps the drinker at the edge of the seat.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Very strong alcohol nose and taste at first, a little more than my rookie self likes. As it warms up however, the "alcoholness" fades (though never disappears) to a much more enjoyable level and the taste is much more balanced. Enjoyed it quite a bit after the alcohol burn faded, not so much 'til then.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Nice Chocolate Vanilla taste, vanilla nose, solid lacing. The bourbon barrel aging comes thru but not too strong; especially for an 11%er. My first experience with New Holland; I'm impressed. Think this would be even better with nitro, its a little on the thin side; think it would also be better if aged a year. My rating of 4.25 is pretty generous I think; maybe closer to a 4.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

22 oz. bottle, 9% ABV. Almost jet black in color, with a thick tan frothy head. The head trickles to a thin layer rather quickly. Vanilla, oak, whiskey and a bit of coffee in the nose. Very smooth, slick, and almost silky. My first impression was that it had a great deal of sweetness, like sweet cream. Vanilla flavor, with just a hint of whiskey. Almost no roasty tones at all, which seemed odd looking at the color. Body seems a bit light, but the lower carbonation works for me. Very smooth, alcohol seems non-existant. Almost too drinakble. The barrel flavor here is done very well, not overwhelming, simply adding a nice layer of flavor. This is outstanding.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Gift from my girlfriend for my birthday. Enjoyed with her and my dad.

A&S: slight coffee, lots of vanilla and woody aroma. almost bourbon alcohol tones in the smell.
Nice foamy tan head with good lacing. jet black colored beer.

T&M: slightly sour. Dark chocolate tones in the tastes more so then the smell. lots of alcohol but more of a scotch ale. On the high side of medium bodied and the low side of medium carbonation.

Overall: very well put together double. By far my favorite commonly found new holland beer, and I think most would agree with me.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Since my buddy lives in Holland Michigan, I should take his word for it and give these guys a try.

Hew Holland doesn't dissapoint. I have had "The Poet" and the "Mad Hatter" which were both very good but this one is by far better than either one of those beers.

A - Brown to Dark Brown in color. Some light does come through but not much. As far as any head....not much. Nice coloring.

S - Good. Some roasted malts and carmel notes come through. I really like the barrel smell. Very nice but not overpowering. Woody. Earthy. Good.

T - Excellent. Reminds me of a thicker version of Rocky's Revenge. Definite chocolate malt carmel and oak barrel come through. No alcohol at all which is nice for an 8.5% beer. Some carination but not too much. I want to be drinking with a good stake sitting around a camp fire in Northern Minnesota.

M - For such a lighter beer compared to most thick stouts, this Strong Dark Ale is very very creamy. Coats the mouth and tongue. Nice. Very high marks for mouthfeel.

D - You will all die when you hear how much I paid for this 22 oz bomber...$3.99. A new liqior store in town and they have some of their bottles and beers marked WAY to low. In every other store in town, it is at least double this. Excellent find and excellent beer to have on this windy Minnesota Winter day.

Overall, I will for sure pick up more of this in the very near future.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hands down the best beer I could walk into any distributor and buy a case of at any time. For that its a 10/10 (availability/price). As for a bb stout it's on the lacking end (yet still better than some seasonal releases I've had). This beer will always have a special place in my heart as my introductory bba beer and I will always go back to it but up against the other power house bba beers it's a sam adams verse a three floyds. Towards the bottom of its class but still MILES above most other "regular" options.

4.25 overall

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Had this on tap 2 days ago at La Cav Du Vin. Shortly after I got mine, my friend Passow (imaguitargod) killed the keg! Drawn into a goblet. This beer is a dark brown color. Tan head maybe 1/4 inch when first drawn into the glass. Settles fairly quickly to a thin surface layer with a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass. Sweet malty aromas of chocolate, some coffee and perhaps a bit of vanilla or dark fruit of some type is present here. The taste is also sweet, sort of biscuity and malty with all the aforementioned chocolate, vanilla, and coffee flavors. Very little to no hop bitterness here. Definitely the least hoppy beer of this style I have ever had. This beer reminded me of a lot of milk/sweet stouts I have had. Has a crisp, frothy, and full bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Excellent drinkability! A great beer! Too bad it is all tapped out, at least for now, at La Cav Du Vin.

Eric

look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Not a major head of foam. Darker off white head of foam, deep dark red to brown. Doesnt build that classic stout head.

S: Scotchy oak with roasty chocolate notes. Very pleasent aroma.

T: Wow. Nose is chocolate and roasted malts, middle is vanilla notes with a slight cocoa puffs familiarity, finish is boozy but sweet. A really delicious beer.

M: sweet on the tongue and chewy thickness, flavor hangs around on the tongue and in the nasal passage. However, its the boozy aftertaste that keeps this from being perfect as it burns a great deal. If it was less strong i would say it 'warms', it doesnt.

D: Absolutely an excellent once in a blue moon beer for desert.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

22oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

Dragon's Milk pours the color of coffee and sits in the glass near-black with a heavy two-finger tan head. It leaves thick but spotty lace.

The smell, taste, and feel of Dragon's Milk is like an assault. It has the smell and taste of bitter dark chocolate and wood, and an aggressive bitterness that slaps the tongue around a little. There's a strong alcohol presence that left me feeling warm.

I like assertive beer and this one is very much so. Dragon's Milk felt like it feels to sit in a dark brown leather chair in an ornately decorated high-end whiskey bar. It's best sipped slowly and allowed to warm in the glass.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a pint glass, a deep dark color with decent head, shrinking to a swirling, snarling film, very appropriate, and not so much lacing. Aroma is full of chocolate, a creamy, woody vanilla, some bourbon or something, a little on the subtle side but quite nice. Taste is not so subtle, a potent but well infused with lots of lively chocolate, some plum, hops being minimal, malty as a bastard, bourbon tweaking the edge of my mouth into a grin. really quite nice. Mouth is creamy, smooth, very warm, nice. Overall, I'm a fan. A fan who is glad he has more of it.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

I paid $7.99 for the bomber. According to the bottle this is the 2011 vintage and part of their High Gravity Series. The label says the ABV is 10.0% (BeerAdvocate reports it is 9%)

I often open a new bottle with dinner and break out my pen and little notepad. My 4 year old daughter likes to smell each one I try. When she smelled this I asked her what she thought. She said, "chocolate!" She'll have to wait 17 more years but it was obvious to a 4 year old that the nose was dominated by chocolate here.

It poured a dark brown, near black with some ruby tones. It gave a thin tan head.

The flavors were of cocoa, coffee, toffee, and toasty vanilla derived from the oak barrels. The oak was evident and I'd guess they are using American oak barrels and the oak was upfront and French oak would have been too subtle for the brew, though might have been nice and subdued.

Dragon's Milk gave a long finish with a bit of alcohol bite on the side of the tongue and a little bit of oak tannins drying the mouth.

Overall, very nice, though I might prefer New Holland's Night Tripper slightly. I'd buy this again. Good stuff and while not cheap at $7.99, still a decent value for a bomber when others charge over $10 for lesser beers.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Malty notes, and molasses on the nose. Served in a brandy sniffer, first sip brings out the oak bourbon on the palate,
Black in color, not much head. I enjoy American strong ales as much as the next guy, so I'll be adding this to my list of very drinkable beers. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle thanks to Daniel. Pours a dark brown/red color with a large light-brown head. The aroma is very nice; lots of roasted notes, some chocolates, some woody aspects also. The taste is excellent; initially sweet malts, milky and thick roasted malt flavors, some sweet chocolates, and some light and earthy wood flavors in the finish. Very easygoing, and hardly hot at all. Very decadent and extremely milky. Some alcohol present, but overall, a very quaffable brew. Very enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

22 ounce bottle courtesy of shbobdb. YOU DA MAN!

Moderate pour at 55 degrees into my tulip chalice yields at large tan head over a dark mahogany opaque body, with ruby red edges. Head fades rather quickly, but leaves huge chunks of thick lacing..

Moderately aromatic nose. Chocolat, vanilla, rum-soaked raisins, dates and bourbon. Oak resins are in the background.

Complex taste! A bit of sour mash bourbon on chocolate-vanilla with some espresso and caramel malt. Just a slight hint of fruity hops. As the beer warms toward room temperature, the vanilla and bourbon come up, with cocoa and caramel.

The mouthfeel felt too light. The alcohol is barely noticable behind all those dark fruit flavors. Frightfully drinkable for a 9% beer.

Reminds me more of a Baltic Porter than an American Strong Ale. Very little hop presence, which is fine my me.

Thanks again to shbobdb, who knows I love malty beers. Man, you hit this nail on the head!

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Vintage 2010, aged for over a year. Poured from bottle into swifter. Just a note, the 2010 Vintage reads 10% ABV, unlike the 9% listed above.

Appearance: pours a deep ruby brown/soft black with minimal white head. Thin lacing on glass, but noticeable.

Smell: Vanilla, oak and roasted malt. Chocolate gives it a good roundness.

Taste: sweet lactic, and vanilla. Good amount of roast, but a little overwhelming. I really like the sweetness, its a different taste than most American stouts. No real hop flavor or aroma.

Mouth: I really like the mouth feel. High level of carbonation gives it a lighter feel. Very easy to drink, yet very sweet.

Drink and overall: I am a big fan of Dragons Milk. Homer maybe. Something that I can get all the time, a good sub for KBS. Not nearly as complex, but over all a very solid barrel aged beer. More enjoyable to me than Oak Aged Yeti.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

A: pour is dark black with some burgundy hints to it. Creates about 1.5-2 fingers worth of head formation. Head is color is off-white. Very carbonated. Decent lacing.

S: bold oak and bourbon is dominating the nose. I also pick up vanilla notes, alcohol, and lots of toasted/burn bready notes.

T: very nice balance of huge vanilla, oak and bourbon with a solid creamy finish. Slight touch of raisins in there as well and a very mild hint of chocolate.

M: nice solid medium-full bodied beer. ABV is only slightly noticeable.

O: This was one of my first big beers back when I started understanding beer. In all honesty I hated it, now I thoroughly enjoy this beer. I find this one very well balanced all the way around.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

This one's a superb tutorial of proper drinking temperature.

Poured from a 22ouncer into a tulip glass. Straight from the beer refrigerator ~40* which was far too cold. The nose and subsequent taste was overpowered with the higher ABV and tannin/oak. The finish was a bit puckeringly sour.

After warming to 55*+ it really came alive. A whole different beer! Much more caramel, chocolate and vanilla on the nose and initial taste. All of those balanced well with the oak. I'd even say the mouthfeel became a bit more pleasing, though overall it remains light on carbonation and 'thickness'.

Overall a pleasing sipper for a style that I don't typically gravitate towards.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a deep brown with garnet highlights. A mocha tan head rises maybe an inch before falling to a thin sheet.

Aroma is well noticeable on the pour. Cocoa, oak, vanilla. Some hints of figs and molasses down in there. A little coffee as well.

Hits the tongue rich and complex. A ton of malt with bourbon and its related oak and vanilla flavors. Brown sugar. Hints of dark fruit. Just enough bittering to keep the sugary malt from being cloying. Finishes long and lingering with oak and vanilla.

Medium full body with medium low carbonation makes for a very nice creamy rich mouthfeel which is perfectly appropriate for this beer. Beautiful. Somehow evades getting too cloying and heavy. I really don't want to set this one down. Rich, rewarding, delicious.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Very dark, coffee like appearance with minimal head.

Nose: Pungent coffee, toffee, slight raisin with appealing complexity

Taste/Feel: Coffee, chocolate, toffee, hint of raisin, minimal sweetness. Interesting variation in taste with temperature change. very smooth with nice finish that is balanced and complex and very drinkable. However, beer is viscous and thick. Not a light refreshing beer for a hot summer afternoon, but a significant visceral experience that demands attention from all senses and respected. Higher ABV, but well managed and not overwhelming.

In General, a near world class experience in bourbon barrel genre worthy of strong consideration.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours mostly opaque, but when held directly to light, a luminous dark ruby sheen becomes apparent. A good inch of off-white froth welled up to the brim, and receded slowly to a partial skim-coat on the surface. Lacework aplenty.
Aromatics are nice blend of caramel, roasted malts, bourbon, and oak. Vanilla follows through with some warming alcohol.
The mouthfeel is medium and creamy. Pretty smooth and somewhat lush.
The pallet has a great balance of chocolate, caramel, nougat, bourbon, oaky tannins, and vanilla. Nicely melded with not one of the layers overbearing the others.
Finishes with a hint of residuals and warming bourbon and vanilla.

Not the biggest, baddest dark beer on the planet, but impeccably balanced and highly drinkable.
A "session" barrel aged beer. True that.

Props to Joe1510 for hooking up an east-coaster...Proper!

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

04/26/14 From bottle. Started out on the wrong foot. I was eating & this just didn't enhance the meal at all. Once I was finished & it had warmed a bit, it showed a multi-layered profile. The most impressive taste to me was the toffee. I've heard this characteristic used many times but it has eluded me...until this bottle. Very smooth with a strange mix of oiliness but not particularly thick. Next time I'll get a piece of sharp cheese to play off the best of this well made brew. Hold the presses...10%? A very deceptive 10%.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer pours thinner than I had expected and looked like new motor oil but appears a deep brown in the glass with a thin, yet firm looking head that leaves nice gobs of lacing all over my glass. The smell is nice; a complex boquet of dark fruits, oak, chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar and only a hint of sweet alcohol. The taste is very similar to the nose, with all of the flavors melding quite nicely and a warm alcohol bite at the end. The mouthfeel is on the light side for what I had expected and the beer could use just a tad more carbonation. Drinkability is relatively good, a sipper not a quaffer.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company