Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2016 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Ratings: 5,766 |  Reviews: 1,515
2.45/5  rDev -38.3%

STRONG whiskey flavors, somewhat unbalanced. It seems to me that they loaded the beer with whiskey just to get to an 11% ABV. This is a sipping beer for me. Does not go well with a meal in my opinion.

2.47/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I normally love coffee stouts. This one tastes like bourbon was added straight to it rather than aged in the barrel. Way to strong of a bourbon taste. Sorry, this one fails.

2.47/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Just didn't appeal to me.

2.48/5  rDev -37.5%

My first impression of this beer was great. It had a unique smell...very full and some hints of vanilla.

The color was dark brown with a tan head that disipated quickly.

My first taste was like "Wow! This is a great beer!"

And then I had a few more sips and it became very hard to drink.

The flavor is so full and sweet that I had a hard time drinking another. It really does have a syrupy taste to it.

I picked up a 4-pack of bottles and I found myself choking down the last three. It's just too much. Too filling, too thick. Overall, it's hard to drink. The taste really isn't that horrible...it actually has a unique and rather pleasant flavor...but it doesn't sit well with me.

It's worth trying for sure. The first few sips were great.

2.5/5  rDev -37%

New Holland Dragon’s Milk: from a bottle. Pours a deep, almost impenetrable brown/black. Not much head, what it had was off white, and left a thick coating down the sides. The aroma is sweet, and although, its probably just the name, smells like a chocolate milkshake.

The first sip, and damn, this was not what I expected, it is extremely thick/creamy and smooth, taste’s very much like bailey’s and coffee, except even more sweet and almost cloying. Really unusual tasting beer, there is a definite smokiness to this brew as well. I can’t say I like this beer, and then after much consideration, I realized why: this beer is very similar in smell and taste to Ensure, the protein drink. The bottle notes that the alcohol level is 10%, but its hard to note. Cripes, I can tell this is well made, but I’ll have to choke down at least half of the bottle.

2.51/5  rDev -36.8%

appearance - Black garnet with little head. Normal amount of carbonation for a stout and an appearance to be expected of a stout.

smell - Potent. At first whiff, vanilla-oak then immediately overcome by only what I can describe as bourbon alcohol.

taste & mouthfeel - This stout is smooth going with a flash of alcohol at the end. It's hard to overcome the potent oak/bourbon alcohol. If you focus enough you can catch hints of the usual stout flavors of chocolate and coffee. They are quickly replaced by strong American oak.

overall - If I was a bourbon fan, this might be a stout for me. However, the stout aspects that I love were overwhelmed. I wish I had some dark chocolate to clean my palate.

poured into a stein

2.52/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured from a deuce-deuce into a wine glass for maximum enjoyment.

Appearance: Opaque and black, with soft hints of red and/or mahongany. Thin tan head which does not stick around very long. Doesn't look overly thick or too thin, I like the look of this brew.

Smell: Immediately smell the oak. It's woody to the point of being perhaps just a touch over the top. Very little hop action, but the malt is prevalent in a strange way. Upon further review, it definitely smellls like merlot or cabernet sauvignon. I don't want my beer to smell like wine, so I'm not impressed.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Simply put, much like red wine poured into a stout. Gentle carbonation allows the oak flavor combined with some chocolate/vanilla candy taste to envelop the palate. Strange grape attribute is not welcome here. Aftertaste is all wine.

Drinkability: I don't think I would purposely buy this beer again. If somebody else were to buy it and offer a taste, I would not decline, but only because we sometimes need to be reminded that price does not always equal quality.

Bought this after forty-five minutes at the store, staring at an endless supply of beer. Kinda wish I would have opted for my first decision, but then again, without moving forward, I can never refine my taste. *Shrug* No go, New Holland.

2.53/5  rDev -36.3%

S: Prominent bourbon, raisin dark bread, touch of vanilla, some chocolate as it warms.

L: Very dark brown, bordering on black, light tan head that dissipates. Ok lacing.

T: Rich breadiness up front with a bourbon undercurrent. Medium low bitterness leads to a very sweet bourbon and vanilla taste. Finishes with even more bourbon and alcohol prickleness, bleh.

M: Medium low body for style, medium low carbonation.

Compared to other -bal stouts, this is a pretty piss poor effort, mouthfeel is quite thin bodied.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

I did not enjoy this beer. Has a great apperence and smell however it has an overpowering flavor of bourbon. Not a smooth drinking beer to say the least and overpriced in my opinion

2.53/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured out a really dark brown. Looked more like a dark porter. I can smell the molasses and chocolate they used on the brew. The taste was milky and smooth with numerous malts but the taste of alcohol came on strong and it was too carbonated.

I wouldn't mind it of I never had one again. Nothing special.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company