Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,446 | Ratings: 5,491
4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours with a tremendous flowing light brown head that settles into something looking like a moonscape. It coats the side of the glass with lace.

Smells like unsweetened dark chocolate with some malt characteristics along with a hint of cherry.

Taste is a light dusting of chocolate on an unsweetened vanilla creme and cherry soda. Very enjoyable. For 10% abv they do a great job of hiding the alcohol. Bravo!

I expected the mouthfeel to be a bit thicker. Its a pretty thin mouthfeel with light carbonation feeling despite the huge head.

Very drinkable. Please make more beers like this New Holland!

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a dark chocolate color with a 1F head in a Moa snifter.
I was expecting a bigger head. The color is excellent.

The aroma at first was a bit weak for the style: hints of chocolate and malt.
As the beer warms up- more chocolate and oak.

The MF and taste define the character of the beer.
MF- smoother than most beers in the style- just right, not too carbonated.

The taste is highly complex and intensifies with warming. There is a lot here: oak, chocolate, Bourbon, vanilla, and creamy.The sweetness is excellent. It's the sweetest BBS I have tasted.

Overall: one of the better Bourbon Barrel Stouts I have tasted. Exceptional balance. The taste carries the beer. I especially like how the flavors broaden with warming. I would have liked a stronger aroma and a bigger head.
Explore this beer at 50°F 10°C+

It's both a sipper and an easy drinker!

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

Unique, super light bodied yet fruity-cocoa flavorful Irish Dry/Barleywine hybrid
___

A: Deep, clear ruby body, though it appears black without a backlight. A two finger buff head forms off the pour, but settles fairly quickly to a thin film.

S: Bit of an Irish Dry vibe going on... malted milk balls, powdery baker's chocolate, dark fruit, cream, faint dusty hops. As the beer warms, more fruit comes out and chocolate goes way back, to the point that it's no longer a Stout nose. Essentially no alcohol. Others have noted them, but I cannot get vanilla, oak, or any other barrel-borne scents.

T: Light, whipped cream body carries mostly dark fruit and considerable earthy, zesty, acidic hops. Malted milk balls and cocoa come through, as does a bit of alcohol. Vanilla is more apparent, but not dramatic. Overall, the flavor is fairly complex, becoming more homogeneous as the beer warms. Vaguely reminds me of an even lighter Stone IRS with more fruit... that, and an Irish Dry. Finish is sadly a bit short.

M: Exquisitely light and fluffy for carrying such big flavors. Carbonation level is great.

O: Very interesting, unique beer. The effortlessly light body is something to behold. Will definitely revisit, but I don't think it's destined for my top 10.

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

It had a weak head but with a good dark color. The smell didn't really come through for me. It showed some chocolate and a bourbon taste, but not overpowering. It definitely is a beer with strong taste. It leans a little to a porter, instead of an ale, with a thick chewy taste.

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

Well blended ale, this one is smooth and delicious. Pours dark like a stout with a creamy off white head, nice lacing and retention. Aroma is a light mix of coffee, mild chocolate, and some caramel. Rich and ever so smooth mouthfeel, this one has a soft finish that is remarkable. Flavor is exceptional nice mix here of lightly roasted malt with bitter coffee and milk chocolate. After a while I could taste a nice helping of vanilla along with some very mild hops. There is barely a hint of the high abv which helps to make this smooth and drinkable. What a nice treat indeed.

4.19/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

This bottle says Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout at 11% ABV. I checked their website I think the beer has changed from the old 10% ABV in Oak barrels. Not sure though.

L: Black beer with a half a finger of a tan head
S: Vanilla, slight bourbon, and roasted malt
T: Bourbon is bigger on the taste. Very nice bourbon notes. Vanilla, Chocolate, Roasty malts, hint of alcohol
F: Chewy thick good brew
O: Been a long time since I've had anything from New Holland. Glad I picked this up. Great beer.

4.19/5  rDev +5.5%

Aroma: slight woodiness, vanilla presence, alcohol in the nose, cocoa

Appearance: pitch black, beige colored head, microfine bubbles, head dissipates quickly, moderate head retention to the glass.

Taste: definite alcoholic presence, slightly metallic, no presence of oxidation, slight char character

Mouthfeel: Highly viscous, lots of residual sugar hangs on the ‘stach/lips.

In need of inspiration, I reached for two things last night. A fresh New Holland Dragon’s Milk and my headphones. I clicked on Led Zeppelin’s Houses of the Holy and started to write this review. I gave the beer a steadfast pour into my miniature beer glass. The brain synapses began firing and I knew what was happening… Homebrew. I’m standing in my New Jersey apartment, covered in sweat, hungry, and a little buzzed. I’m casually sipping a heavy ass stout listening to Led Zeppelin’s Houses of the Holy and eagerly awaiting for the boil to finish. Early days of homebrewing in college.

Nothing in my life will ever again be quite like that. I’ll never forget the relentless drive, continued exhaustion, destroyed floors, sore hands, jammed fingers, burnt thumbs. You see, Houses of the Holy was meant to die in a parents’ basement somewhere in New Jersey. We brought it back to life on an old school record player and it transformed our understanding of the world. Brewday was the most sacred time; phones were rendered useless, cares were tossed aside, TVs were turned off, and nothing could deter our much desired pain. It was masochistic. We would bust our ass for 8 hours doing all-grain mashes on our only free day. Nothing could take these precious moments from us. Broke, hungry, crazy. The way we wanted to live back then. I know now that our reward was not the beer we produced, but the experience we shared.

I’ve not gone astray from my roots, but begun budding into a legitimate plant. I’ve matured into more of an adult, dedicated my life to being a beer professional. This is the first beer that has brought me back to the early days in a long ass time. It seems fitting that we associated so strongly with a record that had the same effect, and religious allegory to boot. You see, listening to this, drinking these types of beers is when it all became divine for me. I never even saw the seventies, but when brewday rolled around I don’t imagine we were any different than a bunch of 20 somethings back then. We were technology students, doing everything in our power to stand in contrast to all of our peers, avoid being a soulless ladder climber. We liked listening to vinyl, making beer on a not-so-technical system and avoiding our early adult life concerns.

Dragon’s milk is not the best stout I’ve ever had, I’ve tried far too many at this point to say that any one stout is the best I’ve ever had. My understanding of beer has grown great in its complexity, and every part of me is proud of this. Another part of me misses these early days, when I was falling in love for the first time, finding my calling in life. A fresh New Holland’s milk stout it sticky sweet, sort of like an amateur homebrew might taste. Back then, I had a favorite style. It was sticky sweet, super-alcoholic stout. I’d drink these during the boil, contemplating everything and nothing all at the same time. Occasionally I’d just sit back and listen to the music.

My palate has refined, and I’ve transgressed having a favorite style. This beer, and this album, brought me back, if only for a moment. This is why I do this, this is why I dedicated my life to it, and this is why I give a damn. These are rare moments when I recall some of the greatest memories in my life. Age and experience will do this beer well, much like it has done well for me. Thankfully, I have several to lie down for a couple months. Maybe it will taste just as great several years later, I know Houses of the Holy sounded just as amazing 40 years ago. This beer will forever be a tribute to late adolescence, the beauty that age may bring, and the power of finding my true calling in life.

I’ll never forget what fresh New Holland Milk Stout tastes like; young, rambunctious, and filled with passion.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark brown with transparency around the edges. Short tan head. Legs, and some lacing.

S - Bourbon. Hot and full of caramel notes and wood.

T - Like the nose, there is a lot of bourbon. Chocolate and roasted grains underpin. A slight bitter edge, but not astringent. A decent, but not overly complex, combination.

M - A big warm ball of booze. No hiding ABV here. But the beer does go down smooth.

O - A reasonable price and true bourbon character are definite upside. Fairly straight-forward, not a lot of nuance, but tasty nevertheless.

4.19/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Wonderful aroma of vanilla bean, tequila, and bourbon.

Taste is big vanilla, smooth roastiness, and bourbon, raw alcohol. What you would expect from a barrel aged stout although relatively a little sweeter than others.

I would have liked to see a little more thickness in the feel.

Overall, an excellent tasting bourbon barrel aged double, though a little too boozy and thinner on the mouthfeel.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

A- poured very dark brown black. A bit of reddish highlights when held up to a light. . Maybe a bit more than a half finger head and really no lacing to speak of. It looks like a big beer (as it should.)

S- It smells sweet. I can immediately pick out caramel and vanilla scents. There's a mocha aspect as well as a boozy nose to it.

T- I can taste the coco and vanilla notes right away. The bourbon booziness is there as well, but not overwhelmingly so. I can also pick out some sweet caramel and maybe some dried fruit on the back. It's pretty well balanced for such a big beer.

M- Creamy verging on lush. A medium finish which is appreciated with such a rick beer.

O- I really enjoy this beer on a cold winter night. It's not something you're going to want 2 or 3 of or to drink with a meal. But on it's own, it hits the spot.

4.19/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Paper hotel cup
From: World Market in Mooresville, N.C.
Price: $7.99
Purchased: July 31, 2014
Consumed: Aug. 2, 2014
Misc.: Vintage 2014, but missed the rest of the other stuff

Poured a black color with two fingers of tan head. Above average lacing on the sides of the cup. Above average retention on the top of the cup.

Smelled fudge, dark chocolate, maple syrup, toffee, caramel, bourbon, candied chocolate and chocolate syrup.

Tasted caramel, toffee, chocolate syrup, fudge, bourbon, vanilla, candied chocolate and fig newton. Pretty tasty.

Full body. Sticky texture. Average carbonation. Long, smooth finish.

A pretty awesome beer. Wish I would have grabbed some more.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass at cool cellar temperature (mine is a cold cellar here in January).

A-While not quite stout-like in its initial opaqueness, when held to light sudeways, nothing shines through, yet held up to light to sip, ruby highlights come through...attractive, deep mahogany coloration, with a thick creamy tan head when poured with vigour, that settles rapidly to a thin ring.

S-Strong sweet vanilla malts predominate with bourbon and dark fruits hiding a hint of chocolate.

T-Very interesting, as the nose carries over to the taste in an unexpected way. A creamy sweet cocoa infused classic old ale taste enters the palate, supported by oak and vanilla quick on its heels. Dark fruits are present throughout the midrange, followed by a slightly sweet astringent finish featuring both a mild hop accent and a warming sensation as the abv hits the tongue. Complex without being overwhelming, this is one enjoyable brew.

M-Mouthfeel is understated, yet creamy, medium full, without overcarbonation and oil. Exceptionally well balanced.

D-This is a highly drinkable beer. I have no idea what to call it...it is a blend of old ale, stout and perhaps a bit of American Strong Ale, but certainly a standout.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

9%? I could definately down a growler of this. This is a pretty cool beer, kind of like an American old ale. Big caramel and chocolate (reminds me of carafa malts) flavors. I get more chocolate in the aroma with a hint of oak. There are also some mroe subtle flavor floating around like vanilla, but this isn't the most comples beer. Still, it's very drinkable and I'd get it again.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Purchased at Bevco in TC, MI for $6.99.

Refered to as "The crown jewel of New Holland Brewing Co." Dragon's Milk is a high gravity ale, aged in oak barrels. Besides the 8.5% ABV, it boasts stunning complexities, and is singularly distinct. The term "Dragon's Milk" dates back to the 1600's in England; essentially an "October beer": a consequential style attributed to the lack of refrigeration needed in the summer months. Whether this style is an authentic reincarnation, that is unknown.

Appearence: a very deep ruby tone exists beyond the otherwise jet-black body when inspected via sunlight. a thin layer of lacing clings to my McChouffe Chalice, albeit somewhat sparce. the initial two finger head disipates to an almost non-existant meniscus.

Smell: Subdued. Malty. Roasted grains. My ol'factory is tickled by dark chocolate and vanilla. background consists of caramel and figs. maybe burnt cocoa.

Taste: Talk about intense! Chocolate and coffee with a warming alcohol effect. a little overwhelming from the start. but once the carbonation dwindles and the temperature nears room, Dragons Milk is suprisingly drikable and satisfying. the warming sensation is what keeps my lips to the glass. Dont get me wrong this is supremely complex, there is a lot going on and I do reccomend letting it mellow while enjoying. Basically, savoring it in the span of a half-hour or more. This way the complexities seem to be more specific and certainly more decipherable. Thanks to New Holland's Barrel aging process, the oaky, earthy flavors only accentuate these afformentioned complexities. Note: The dark malts do overpower any hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Can you say "viscous?" Indeed very chewy, it lingers longer than most styles of this calaber. Gets better with every sip.

Drinkability: Surely not a "session beer" its definately a "sipper." A perfect fit for a chilly winter eve, after an outdoor activity. I drank the 22oz Bomber this fall while handing out candy; it is arguably one of Michigan's finest examples of an "American Strong Ale."

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

A 650 mL bottle purchased at Joseph's in Toledo, OH en route to Dark Lord Day.

A: The ale is darker than I expected, not amber but rather a full-bodied black color. The more I look at it, the more it resembles cola with a dark brown color and some ruby highlights throughout.

S: The nose is stout-like, this with caramel and graham grain aromas. There is no indication of any oak barrel aging, as readily suggested by the name.

T: The nose had me expecting something subpar, luckily the first sip delivered a malty blast of goodness. Thick grains with caramel and toffee flavors abound, overwhelming the tastebuds with a sickly sweet profile. The oak barrel adds a deliciously soft touch to the thick malts, with vanilla and buttery oak flavors reducing the bite of the grains. Having been less than impressed by most of the other New Holland beers, this one really pleases me. The finish is a nice blend of chocolate and caramel malts and oaky flourish. This is what a drinkable barrel aged beer should aspire to be.

M: The mouthfeel is a restrained work of art, full of big flavors without a knock-out punch.

D: I wish that I had picked up a bottle or two more of this brew, the flavors are full and the oak aging adds a wonderful blast of flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: pours dark brown but not as dark as I was expecting, with a light brown head and medium lacing.
S: big bourbon smell. some chocolate and sweetness, maybe vanilla, underneath.
T: Bourbon and Booze right upfront. After those initial tastes you get Chocolate and teh stout base in the back.
F: Medium bodied, pretty smooth

O: pretty good BA Stout.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: Upon first inspection this strong ale looks more like a stout. Jet black with two solid fingers of light tan head. Only when held inches from a light source does it look anything other than opaque. Near the light it reveals itself to be a deviously dark brown with reddish highlights.

Smell: A strong punch to the nose of pure bourbon. Oak notes go hand in hand. These mostly overwhelm but there are sweet aromas of vanilla and caramel cowering in fear somewhere in the backdrop.

Taste: New Holland doesn't mention whether the oak barrels they used for Dragon's Milk were previously owned but judging by the taste I'd reckon they had a past life harboring some form of whiskey. With every sip I expect an impending burn down my throat and warmth in my stomach. But no this is just beer. After the onslaught of whiskey and oak deliciousness the vanilla from the smell can be found if only for a few moments on the finish. The caramel however seems to be lost in a sea of Kentucky's finest.

Mouthfeel: Again like the appearance this beer seems have aspirations of being an Imperial Stout. There is a rich creaminess not often seen in strong ales. The body is fairly full as well. Knocked it down a bit because the carbonation was a bit strong.

Drinkability: To me this stuff tastes like a good whiskey without the kick in the ass. I've sampled it a few times already and I can certainly see myself dropping another $8 on a bottle. At 10% I wouldn't recommend quaffing them though.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Pours a deep dark hazy brown into a snifter with about 2 cm of head that dissipates quickly to leave a thin film of bubbles on the top. Laces all the way down the glass.

S: Smell is a complex combination of coffee, milk chocolate, and cherry.

T: Taste incorporates all of the elements of the smell, but there is a lot more going on in this beer. The last half of each sip gives you a mild taste of bourbon and warming alcohol. As the beer warms, you can really taste the effects of the oak barreling. The oaky taste also contributes hints of vanilla and butterscotch.

M: Carbonation just slightly more than a stout, and is textured with medium body. The higher ABV makes it difficult for me to believe that you could session it, but my fondness for the style, as well as Kentucky bourbon makes me think that I could have 2 or 3 for sure.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured a dark black color with a thin tan head. Lots of bourbon and vanilla in the nose. The actual taste is less of the bourbon than you got in the nose a great blend of the vanilla and the bourbon comes through. I think my only short fall is the mouth feel is a little thinner than I like to see in a stout of this caliber. All in all a very good stout.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Had heard comments about this beer all over the map; lots of both love and hate for it, so I was excited to get it as an extra in a trade and see for myself. "2013 Vintage," served cold in a snifter.

A: Dark brown, very much like a cola. Translucent at the edges, and not at all "thick." About 1/8 inch light khaki head which dissipates quickly.

S: Aroma is on the weak side, but full of bourbon and caramel.

M: Mouthfeel here is not bad, just not very memorable. Not too sticky, not too gummy, but not very substantial, either. Unassuming. Would love to see more here. As it warms up, it's close to drinking a warm Dr. Pepper with some bourbon in it.

T: Here, they nailed it. Fantastic bourbon flavor without being boozy. There's some nice vanilla and cola undertones. Slight anise, and cream soda. Veers towards cloyingly sweet when it gets hot, but not over the top. Very strong bourbon finish - but again, more the essence than the whiskey heat. I would never think this was 10% ABV by the taste.

I wanted to hate this beer, but can't, because the flavor is so good. It's thin, and nearly on the wrong side of the tracks in Sweetville, USA - but damn, did they nail the idea of bourbon in a beer.

If they called this a bourbon barrel aged porter or something other than a stout, I suspect there would be a lot more love - and it would be well-deserved. Nice job, New Holland.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a bottle a very dark brown/almost black with a bubbley but sparse tan head. Not much lacing.

Aroma is malty with coffee, chocolate and toffee.

Tastes of sweet oak, roasted malts, dark ripe fruits, coffee, and dark chocolate. The finish is clean. The alcohol well-hidden.

Medium to full mouthfeel, creamy and smooth, and mildly carbonated.

This is an enjoyable sipping beer. I just finished it sitting out on my deck on the first Spring-like day.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

This is a nice dark ale, with a decent light brown head. Looks almost like a coke while pouring. There is a strong smell of dark chocolate. The taste is much more interesting than the smell. Very nice. There is chocolate, raisins, some wine like flavors probably the oak. It is on the sweet side, with no hops obvious. The mouthfeel is good, very smooth and creamy. It goes down way too easy for a 9% beer!

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage served 60 degrees in a tulip.

A - 4.0 - Pours out of the bottle like rootbeer, transparent brown as it falls and with a fizzy head. But once in the glass it's opaque black. A flashlight shined into it reveals an edge of evenly cloudy dirty brown. The head dissipates fairly quickly.

S - 4.0 - A little chocolatey, moist bread doughy, maybe a bit of woodsy booze. Nice.

T - 4.25 - Definitely a wood note, confirmed from the aroma. Some background coffee note. The chocolate, the wood, and a roast quality come together very nicely to make a sum more than their parts. What a nice warm burn of fumes hovering in my throat for a while after swallowing. And that 10% has my face nice and warmed up. I should be clear that I really like warm booziness and have yet to find a beer that's "too hot" as many say here. This one is goldilocks for me. This is the beer you want to drink on a cold winter night.

M - 4.5 - Smooth and velvety. Usually when you pour a thick black motor oil stout, you expect a thick viscous mouthfeel, and when you pour a transparent one like this, you expect a light mouthfeel. But despite its appearance this is easily medium bodied if not a bit north of there.

O - 4.25 - Very good and very enjoyable. This one's a solid keeper. It's just interesting enough to make you want to keep buying it but drinkable enough that it doesn't have to be a special occasion. I really enjoy the notes that the wood adds and really like the nice gentle warm throat burn here in a cold house. This is a sit back and get cozy beer for later at night when things are quiet. If it would just snow in Florida and if I had a fireplace and a leather recliner and a blanket, things would be perfect - you know how it gets so quiet at night when snow thickly blankets everything and nobody's out. That's when I'd drink this.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

A- Pours a Nice dark brown/black color with a one finger tan head

S- Has hints of roasted malts, some hints of chocolate and also vanilla

T- Has a very nice stout beginning with some flavors of oak. Has a nice vanilla sweetness in the middle then ends with the roasted malts flavor

M-Medium bodied with nice carbonation

D-Overall this was a nice stout. It was smooth and had some nice flavors going on. Some might think the roasted flavor at the end tastes alittle smokey or burnt but i liked it. Def. try this one even though it hasn't got solid reviews. I don't think its mind blowing but its got good flavor

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a tulip

Appearance: black, void of light except at the very edges when held to light. The head is a light tan 1/2 finger that fades quickly to a lacing.

Aroma: bittersweet chocolate and bourbon. Inviting. It conjures thoughts of flourless chocolate cake.

Flavor: the flavor follows the aroma: flourless chocolate cake. Very little roast, but it is present. No alcoholic heat, but the alcohol is there and you know it. The 11% is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel: medium to medium-heavy. A bit on the heavier side of medium.

Overall: very good. Better than expected. This beer would make for an excellent desert beer. Well balanced.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company