Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,446 | Ratings: 5,491
3.46/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip.

$8.99 / ea.

S: Bottle touts a vanilla / caramel malt bouquette and it delivers on this promise, thought the vanilla tends to come off more as chocolate. Somewhat boozy on the nose, it could definitely benefit from mellowing.

A: Dark brown to black body, with a big tan rocky head that leaves ample lacing and light cover.

T: Caramel malt is evident, but also hints of oatmeal, and the woody taste of oak aging. Sweet and boozy, this one stays on the tongue for a long time.

M: Medium body with low carbonation. Smooth, but a little slippery on the tongue.

D: Not something I would linger on. It has some virtue, but its time comes and goes without much longing.

O: Ok ale, but not nearly as complex as the bottle implies. Strong -OH and overwhelming oak suffocate the malt and vanilla (chocolate).

2.56/5  rDev -35.5%

A disappointment considering I am generally a fan of New Holland's brews. It poured rather flat and the taste was quite overwhemling. The strong oak flavor overwhelmed all of it supposed complexities. It was a beer that I had to fight with to drink.

4.34/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: dark brown in color with a wispy head despite a vigorous pour. No lace develops.

Smell: vanilla is most noticeable with some softer wood and alcohol tones.

Taste: caramel, big vanilla flavors, oak woodiness, molasses, prunes, and some milder bitter chocolates create a flavorful beer. Alcohol is noticeable and quite warming.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Smooth throughout with a long aftertaste.

Drinkability: despite the high alcohol levels, this beer goes down smoothly and it is almost like a liquid meal in a bottle. Worth a try by anyone who can get their hands on it.

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

Picked up a Dragon's Milk (on a bartender's suggestion) here at the Backyard Ale House in Scranton, PA.

Appearance is standard stout fare. Poured into a Murphy's pint glass...Dragon Milk is pure black with a lacing, cream colored head.

This New Holland offering smells of oak, roasted malt and a little bit of chocolate and coffee. Smells delicious...can't wait to dive in.

The oak indicated in the nose really comes through in the taste. A fan of oaked stouts like Stone's Oaked Arrogant Bastard will appreciate this beer. Surprisingly smooth for it's oakiness. The vanilla adds an almost milk stout like taste to this otherwise bitter stout.

Dragon's Milk isn't the thickest stout I've ever had, but it is chewy and smooth. The mouthfeel is far above average.

At 8.5, this is far from a session beer. However, an after dinner beer it certainly is. I can see myself enjoying two of these on a night spent with my beer and thoughts.

New Holland's Dragon's Milk is definitely a beer worthy of a stout fan's palate. The price is reasonable, it is fairly common and thoroughly enjoyed by this reviewer.

3.67/5  rDev -7.6%

Purchased a single bottle ($4.95) at a local beer 6 pack shop.

The 1st smell had an intense alcohol smell. However, the 1st sip hid the alcohol very well.

This is a pretty good stout. Very dark, nice vanilla flavor. I'm not going to claim to know what Oak barrels taste like, but I'm assuming that added to the complextiy of the flavoring.

The mouthfeel was pretty good. Nice medium body.

I would buy a 6 pack of this stuff, but not at $4.95 per bottle. I would not be interested in an entire case. This is more like a desert stout, which you would have only 1, possibly 2 of after dinner. If you plan on drinking a 6 pack of these, you may be out cold at #5.

3.62/5  rDev -8.8%

A- Poured into a 16oz tumbler. Despite an agressive pour, thin off white head... no retention or lacing. Pretty much black in color... faint light shines through when held up to the light, making the beer appear to be a dark ruby color

S- Faint aroma of alcohol, molasses, raisin, dark fruits... almost has a 'wood' smell

T- Tastes like dark fruits, molasses, raisin... faint alcohol taste. Pretty smooth. Much better tasting/flavorful then the weak smell leads you to believe

M- Somewhat watery, medium bodied despite the dark heavy appearance... very little carbonation

D- Nice flavor + High ABV= somewhat drinkable. I don't think I'd ever go out and buy a whole case, but I'd drink a few out at the bar

4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber, into a large snifter.

Apperance a very dark brown, when held to the light, you can see a hint of dark, ruby red. A thin strip of off white head rimming the glass.

Smell was more like a whiskey, or bourbon, with a hint of vinilla.

Taste, was to say the least, awesome! A heavey alcohol/ bourbon flavor up front. A malty flavor sort of takes over, then gives way to an oaky, wood flavor, and finishes with more whiskey/alcohol taste left in the your month.

Mouthfeel is strong, heavy and warm.

Drinkabilty, well, if I could get this in Arizona, it would always be in my fridge. I enjoyed this beer a lot, one of the better beers I've had in the last year! I'll be seeking out more of this!

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Malty notes, and molasses on the nose. Served in a brandy sniffer, first sip brings out the oak bourbon on the palate,
Black in color, not much head. I enjoy American strong ales as much as the next guy, so I'll be adding this to my list of very drinkable beers. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Cheers!

3.36/5  rDev -15.4%

I got 2 bottles of this beer, 1 from a BIF pool and 1 as an extra in a trade.
I should write this stuff down, anyway...
Thanks Dudes!

22oz bottle served in a snifter.

Dark colored brew but then again, what color is an American Strong Ale supposed to be?... Good!
Alcohol/Bourbon aroma and not much else.
Roasted malt upfront with the bourbon/alcohol flavor taking over rather quickly.
Medium bodied with mild carbonation.
I don't know about this one?...
I have a 2nd bottle to age a bit more but for now I'd have to say the drinkability is average.

3.89/5  rDev -2%

New Holland Dragon's Milk ale pours a finger of sticky tan foam over an opaque black brew. Carbonation is hard to gauge, but a little slow. The nose is roasty malts, bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and a note of alcohol stiffening everything up. Flavor is pretty much a reflection of the nose- sweet dark malts, notes of dark fruit, and chocolate balanced by espresso bitterness, a ghost of herbal hop and a rummy nip of alcohol. Mouthfeel is round and smooth, with that tang of alcohol (8% by volume) keeping things from getting fuzzy. Not exactly a porter/stout/wee heavy it's just a nice big barrel aged beer- just the thing for dark cold nights.

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Deep black with a ruby red glow. A little head from a fairly aggressive pour, but what is there stays for a bit.

S: Chocolate, Oak, Vanilla, and Whiskey. Smells very nice.

T: That's nice. Starts with a whiskey kick, then goes to a deep malty sweet flavor. And ends with a more oaky vanilla whiskey flavor. The Whiskey is well balanced, the alcohol is hidden well, and it is not too sweet. Fine job.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated for the style.

D: Let's just say I am sad I only bought the one.

Appearance:
Dark red brown with a varied tan foam head that builds up slowly then falls fairly quickly. Leaves a dense foam ring and a nice sticky lace after each sip.

Smell:
Very complex blend of sweet toffee and caramel, hazelnuts, coffee, chocolate and oak. Incredible.

Taste:
Hugely full and sweet roasted nuts and sweet caramel flavors. No hops or bitterness; smooth, clean and leaves a nice lingering woodsy / coffee aftertaste. Fairly prominent alcohol taste adds to the sweetness.

Mouthfeel:
A little crisp (fizz) but immediately smooths out and rolls on through.

Drinkability:
Comes in a 22oz bottle (marked 8.5% ABV) and is the perfect sipping beer when its a little cold outside. So smooth and full.

Comment:
I bought this beer at the beginning of my beer journey. I must admit that I was drawn into the marketing and picked it up because of the cool label (and because I really didn't know anything about styles at the time). I actually mistook it as a stout until reading more into it. It was immediately my favorite beer and I now buy any "American Strong Ale" or dragon labeled beer out of tribute to this beer and to see if any other is even close to this. I actively seek out this beer and always have one tucked away in the back of the fridge (away from beer thieves) for special occasions or when I am tired of other styles. I'll share a bottle with someone but only if they will appreciate it. This is my #1 favorite brew.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a dark brown in color. Head was offwhite in color. Or you could probably say tan in color. Had a nice two fingered head that didnt hang around very long. Left some lacing, but not alot. Smelled of alcohol, caramel, and malt. Tasted sweet like caramel. Also notes of cream, oak, and alcohol. Felt good in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was right. With the higher ABV, you couldnt make this a session beer. But it sure tasted good on a cool October evening.

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Found this in my friend's local store, (Englewood NJ) hadn't seen anything by this Brewery before so I went for it.
Bomber poured into regular glass
Dark black with thin sticky head
Smell is big on the oaky side with vanilla caramel syrup
taste was to be expected, heavy warming alcohol, whiskey, oak, caramel vanilla, sweet malt
Oak flavor might be a bit much but I'm enjoying this, really warms the throat, great for a cold night like tonight.
High abv doesn't make this session worthy but I would get this again.

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

One of the more balanced oak barrel beer. Overall, it's a decent sipping beer that's worth a try (especially if you're a whisky fan)

Appearance: Deep dark brown with a tan head

Smell: Fragrant malt, butter, and a touch of mocha

Taste: Sweet malt, toasted oak, and butter

Mouthfeel: Creamy smooth with a bitter kick

Drinkability: Definitely a sipping beer with its many rich flavors.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a pint glass this brew has a cola color with a moderate off white head that had small bubbles (almost like on nitrogen). Rich oak aroma with a bourbon alcohol nose with toffee and vanilla notes. The taste is strong of aged bourbon and coffee and chocolate. Very smooth on the palate but does have a strong alcohol finish.This is a great brew and I thank my bro Steve for giving up a bottle for me to review...good thing it is in a 1 1/2 pint bottle for longer enjoyment.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Sampled from a 22oz bottle purchased at Peace Street Market.

Black in color with some light coming through. A small tan head. Aroma is molasses, oak and alcohol. The oak is a bit much for me. The flavors follows with oak dominating the experience. It's just too much for me. Some oak to augment the other flavors would be nice but here it just overshadows them. The mouthfeel is creamy and the carbonation is low.

Too much oak for me. I tried to separate that out in this review but it clearly influences it.

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

~ 22 oz bottle chilled served into a tulip glass

Pours a very dark brown/ruby color with very little tan head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Very little light gets through.

vanilla caramel on the nose along with some dry oak & alcohol phenols

Dry plums along with caramel & some dark baker's chocolate comes through prior to the swallow. Bourbon flavors come through a bit...a bit of burn on the swallow.

Very little carbonation throughout with a fairly dry, but chewy body.

Solid brew. Pretty easy to drink, but I"m sure the 9% will catch up with me quickly! ;)

3.67/5  rDev -7.6%

Welcome to New Jersey New Holland.

A: It's black, but it is also brown. There wasn't much head on the pour and the lacing wasn't great.

S: Whiskey, chocolate and vanilla interesting combo.

T: Very sweet tasting, it's kind of like a mix between double bastard and ba boris. Very strang, but still good. Nice oak notes that have a hint of whiskey, than a big of chocolate/oatmeal stout.

M: Full and rather creamy, some booziness but not too much.

D: Fairly easy to drink, and for the price definitely something I will go back to

4.09/5  rDev +3%

22oz bottle

Pours a muddy brown color with a medium sized tan head. Big nose of whiskey barrel and sweet roasted malts. Bang, whiskey again right upfront, i love how much the wood shines through, but then again, i also love whiskey, but i could see how some people may think its a bit overkill. Mellow, boozy and pretty drinkable for a beer of this magnitude, but still a sipper for sure. Very well done, glad to have it in New Jersey.

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

20th Review...12oz bottle poured into a Rahr pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black that shows a bit of light through but not much. Small tan head that fades to a small ring and leaves no lacing. I even poured this pretty aggressively and it didn't make much of a head.

S: The smell is great, smells like a slightly fainter version of BCS. Cocoa, roasted malt, sweet molassess and a slight boozy whiskey aroma.

T: The molasses really takes over in the taste but is not as powerful as BCS. I also get flavors of milk chocolate, cocoa, and a slighty boozy flavor...maybe the whiskey. It could use a little more flavors from the barrel aging but it's evident.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin but creamy and carbonated well. I feel this should be thicker but it's not a stout so I didn't deduct too much.

D: I would have this again if it was readily available. The ABV isn't extremely high but it's enough that you wouldn't want to drink a 6er or anything.

Unfortunately the online store I bought this from only had one 12oz bottle left. I wouldn't mind having this on hand to drink occasionally.

4.92/5  rDev +23.9%

I am not really sure how the Bros got this thing in a 12oz bottle serving, as I have never seen it in any other form than the double deuce seen in the picture. It makes me wonder if they really got to experience what Dragon's Milk is all about. I first tasted this brew at the Michigan Brewers' Guild Winter Beer Festival in Grand Rapids. I pick up a bottle whenever I come across it as it happens to currently hold the crown for my favorite beer. That said, I am gonna review this thing by the books. I hope I can positively portray what I see in this unique beer to readers and hopefully raise the curve.

An aggressive pour into my mason jar mug produced a 1-inch head consisting of large bubbles which settled into a nice dense 1-finger head. Dragon's Milk is dark and loose rather than the syrupy consistency of most stouts. VERY dark brown, not black. Nice lacing is sticking as the head subsides.

Even being a little stuffed up, I can smell the alcohol coming through like alcohol should in an ale with an 8.5% ABV. Vanilla notes and the tangy characteristic of the oak. By the way, any one saying too much oak flavor doesn't know what oak is supposed to taste like. Dragon's Milk was not brewed in whisky barrels. It's supposed to taste like oak, not whisky. It definitely comes through and is very unique to this stout. Dark roasted malts really meld with the oak for the perfect balance. Let's drink.

I love the alcohol/dark malt/smoky barrel flavor/vanilla hints all mixed together. That is the best way I can describe this. It is not so rich that you can't drink more than one like many stouts are. The oak and paint thinner-like alcohol dominate the back end and the sweet malts hit up front. Obviously Dragon's Milk is not a hop head kind of beer...it's a warm-feeling-inside kind of beer. The oak is in your face...but that's the point, Beer Bros!

I really like the non-syrupy feel of Dragon's Milk. It laces like a weak IPA, but is definitely thinner in consistency and is really pleasantly carbonated.

I drink this think like a cocktail. It has a huge alcohol feel, but not so much of the alcohol content compared to others. Too many and these can take you under, but a bomber on a lazy night is absolutely heaven. Give this thing a chance and enjoy the tastes for what they are supposed to be.

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Deep, dark black with a thin layer of tan foam that reduces to a ring.

Spicy and boozy. Black pepper, dark Appleton rum, some caramel notes and bourbon.

Initial taste- rum and cola. Big and boozy. Some burnt toffee, bit of coffee, bourbon, slight cherry juice taste and lots of vanilla extract. Has the vanilla bean and alcohol taste of vanilla extract. Powerful flavors all around. Mellows a bit as it warms.

Smooth with softish carbonation. Feel also reminds me of a rum and cola. Slightly more than medium bodied, warming alcohol.

Flavors are huge and can overwhelm. Very boozy. Tough to do a whole bomber of this. A unique beer that won't soon be forgotten.

3.62/5  rDev -8.8%

The head builds like a stout with a light tan color. The color is like a dark cola. No real lacing.

Light Vanilla extract aroma, some sweetness and a touch of alcohol.

Again, the flavor of vanilla without much sweetness. Finishes a bit thin. Slight sweetness in the middle, but then becomes dry towards the end. There needs to be some more depth here and a bit more fruit. There is some slight booze flavors, but not much.

Body seems a little thin for the flavor profile and the barrel aging. I think a bit more body compliments these notes.

This is a good beer, but with a couple tweaks could be great. I felt mostly disappointed as I made my way through the bottle.

4.09/5  rDev +3%

22 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

While pouring this looks brown, but as the glass fills it looks black. When it's held into the light it looks mostly black, and light only shines through at the edges, where you get brown and ruby hints. Even an aggressive pour produced the smallest of mocha colored heads, which quickly disappeared and had no lacing.

The nose is pretty good, and very strong. I get milk chocolate, or possibly vanilla and bitter chocolate, or some combination of the two. There is a significant wood aged portion of the aroma going on here, with a nice (oak?) boubron or whiskey presence mellowing things out. To finish I get dark fruits, such as raisins and dates. Great aroma on this one.

Edit: After actually reading the bottle I realized my guess of the oak smell was right. Next time I'll look more closely...

The taste is as advertised, yet slightly more hazy, as in it's not as impressive. I get the milk chocolate and vanilla, I get the wood aged bourbon and whiskey and I (barely) get the dark fruits. But there is just something about it that doesn't allow it to mesh in the best way possible. It's possible that because the nose is so intense and the flavours are a bit muted that it only appears that they aren't mixing well, when really I just want more "oomf."

Mouthfeel is medium with an appropriately low carbonation. Overall pretty creamy and smooth, with no offensive aftertastes. Drinkability is good given the style. The booze is nicely hidden behind the complexity of the nose and the flavors. I'm pretty impressed with this brew.

Overall, this beer is pretty much what I expected. I enjoyed it a lot and would not be opposed to buying it again. A solid brew from New Holland, who I'm liking more and more these days.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company