Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,438 | Ratings: 5,433
4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Dark in color with massive head and tons of lacing. Riverside had just cracked a new keg and it was beautiful. Aroma is of sweet barley with hints of oak. Tastes like sweet toasted mocha with very little hop presence. It seems more like a barley wine than a strong ale. Feels thick and rich in the mouth and has just the right carbonation. Overall a very drinkable beer. Complex and enjoyable. If you can find it on tap try it.

3.67/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice, but nothing to write home about and I wanted more texture and flavor given the ABV. I have high expectations of the brewery, so was expecting more wow.

4.17/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 version is MUCH tastier than last years. Viscosity has thickened a tad ( an improvement). Not thick like BCBS, but meatier than KBS. Nice mouthfeel. Great aroma, understated yet well executed balance.

This years bourbon presence is appreciably higher: very, very nice.
EPIC? no, not quite. Still fabulous, especially for the price

Edit 8/5/15. I notice some variability between batches. This bottled date, not so impressive. I'm going to lower my taste score by 0.25. This batch is underwhelming

3.93/5  rDev -1%

This beer has a nice dark golden brown amberish color to it. Has a fair amount of hops making me think it was somewhere between an imperial ipa and a Belgian double. I really like the flavor although I'm sure I couldn't handle more than a bomber due to the thick richness. It does have a slight buttery taste, so I think it's fairly valid to have milk in the title. The scent is extremely caramelish and of course that definitely influences the taste on this one. I will seek this out again. I think it could even improve with some cellaring. This beer has made me want to set up a trip to the brewery.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm sold.
Deep dark, almost purple, black body floating 1 in. tan head.
Inviting cocoa aromas with stone fruit. The flavor shares chocolate and stone fruit with a pleasing alcohol note. High abv, but very little heat. Nice.
Medium to heavy mouthfeel is perfect for the style.
I'll have another, please...and then probably a ride home.

3.26/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle

Pours a very dark brown almost black with little to no head.

Smells strongly of bourbon and vanilla.

Tastes strongly of bourbon and vanilla, boozy, you can taste the 11% at the finish

Mouthfeel is nice and rich, creamy, smooth

Decent beer, but way too bourbony and boozy for me. I prefer a stout where the coffee and chocolate flavors are profiled, this one is not balanced at all. I'll finish it but it may take me all afternoon, it is definitely a "big" beer.

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

A -- A softly translucent deep black brew which pours to a thin skim of a head, settling immediately into something resembling a thick coffee beverage. Leaves spotty lacing at best.

S -- Smells of vanilla and bourbon soaked dark fruit, lightly earthy and woody with hints of chocolate.

T -- Hefty oak tones melded with dark chocolate and vanilla, coffee candy, lightly bitter from the wood countered by a resinous lingering sweetness. A touch of roasted grain which is augmented by the oak. Pretty boozy.

M -- Thin and slick, little or no carbonation, a lingering smack of sweetness, and a slight tingle of numbness on the tongue from the booze.

D -- Hefty and relentless, this is a beer made for kicking teeth in. Definitely worth a try, but I don't see it making it into my regular rotation.

3.66/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into my snifter

A- pours a dark brown, once the whole bottle is poured turns to a pitch black. Thin fluffy tan head, miniamal lacing to the glass

S- smells sweet, sugary, followed up boozy oak Bourbon. Not over powering but its there

T- light sugary chocolate malt, mellow woody characteristics, Bourbon booziness

M- light bodied for a stout, almost makes me feel like this is a milk stout with alot of lactose,alcoholic ting spread out like a spread formation on the palate. Bitterness at the swallow trying to balance this out... hit or miss in this bottle

O- I like this... its different... boozey as all hell... sweet and woody... if your into strong Bourbon or Scotch than this is the brew for you....

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours almost black with a small head that dissipates quickly. Looks pretty much like a bourbon barrel stout should look.

S: Chocolate, some coffee, maybe a bit of vanilla. Oddly, not much in the way of bourbon.

T: Just a bit of bourbon with more coffee and chocolate. Drinks very smoothly, even at 11 percent ABV.

M: Very good, but not great; smooth and silky with some alcohol sting late.

O: Very good representation of the style. It's less "bourbony" than many of the other beers in this genre, but drinking Dragon's Milk is a good experience overall.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this bomber into my 20oz glass. This beer pours black with a nice frothy head that sticks around awhile and leaves some decent lacing. Smells of chocolate, malt and alcohol. The taste is very dry like dark chocolate with some cherry taste at the end. The taste from the wood is also very prominent and must contribute to the dryness of this beer but not in a good way. The mouthfeel is smooth but a little dry. Drinkability is moderate. I finished the bomber but it certainly did not wow me. Overall I am glad I tried this beer but I expected much more when I purchased it.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Deep ruby color, creamy tan head, leaves some lacing. Smells of roasted malt, caramel, chocolate, and has a creamy quality. The taste is smooth and creamy, the roasted malt dominating the flavor, a little bitter (can't tell if that's hops or not), the caramel and chocolate surface slowly and there's a slightly spicy lingering finish. Definitely a delicious brew, fits the name well. Very easy to drink and the high ABV is fairly hidden. Great balance and body, and just delicious. This is the favorite of everyone at a beer bar near me called Chappy's, and it's obvious why.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Since my buddy lives in Holland Michigan, I should take his word for it and give these guys a try.

Hew Holland doesn't dissapoint. I have had "The Poet" and the "Mad Hatter" which were both very good but this one is by far better than either one of those beers.

A - Brown to Dark Brown in color. Some light does come through but not much. As far as any head....not much. Nice coloring.

S - Good. Some roasted malts and carmel notes come through. I really like the barrel smell. Very nice but not overpowering. Woody. Earthy. Good.

T - Excellent. Reminds me of a thicker version of Rocky's Revenge. Definite chocolate malt carmel and oak barrel come through. No alcohol at all which is nice for an 8.5% beer. Some carination but not too much. I want to be drinking with a good stake sitting around a camp fire in Northern Minnesota.

M - For such a lighter beer compared to most thick stouts, this Strong Dark Ale is very very creamy. Coats the mouth and tongue. Nice. Very high marks for mouthfeel.

D - You will all die when you hear how much I paid for this 22 oz bomber...$3.99. A new liqior store in town and they have some of their bottles and beers marked WAY to low. In every other store in town, it is at least double this. Excellent find and excellent beer to have on this windy Minnesota Winter day.

Overall, I will for sure pick up more of this in the very near future.

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

Black, with brown hues. A thin, frothy khaki head. Nice lacing.

Smell: chocolate (like a mixture of cocoa truffles and fruit-filled chocolate); cream; sweet indistinguishable citrus fruit; bourbonesque sweetness; maybe alcohol; and oak.

Flavor: pleasant sweetness all the way through; cream; alcohol; whiskey flavor (I guess bourbon); roasted malt; oak; chocolaty aftertaste. Bitterness is minimal.

Mouthfeel: medium-to-heavy, syrupy; lightly and pleasantly carbonated.

Finish: slick, syrupy, savory.

This is, overall, one of the best beers money can buy. If you have access to it, I highly suggest you give it a try.

4.17/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Fantastic stout. Unlike other stouts I've had this one has some more complex flavoring and feel to it.
It has a chocolate taste, and a subtle vanilla undertone with bourbon flavors that bring down the bitterness of that chocolate taste and make for an enjoyable stout beer.

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

One of the more balanced oak barrel beer. Overall, it's a decent sipping beer that's worth a try (especially if you're a whisky fan)

Appearance: Deep dark brown with a tan head

Smell: Fragrant malt, butter, and a touch of mocha

Taste: Sweet malt, toasted oak, and butter

Mouthfeel: Creamy smooth with a bitter kick

Drinkability: Definitely a sipping beer with its many rich flavors.

3.73/5  rDev -6%

Pours burnt brown, lots of creamy tannish head. Looks something like a stout.

Smell has a great roastiness, some coffee and chocolate malts mingling with dark fruit aromas.

Starts thick and roasty, mellowing out somewhat into creamy tartness. Earthy wood notes and almost sourness towards the finish. Probably has something to do with the barrel aging thing.

A very interesting brew, a nice change from the hoppy strong ales that I'm used to. Not something I'd drink every day, though. Recieved via trade with jpm30.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

This is a nice dark ale, with a decent light brown head. Looks almost like a coke while pouring. There is a strong smell of dark chocolate. The taste is much more interesting than the smell. Very nice. There is chocolate, raisins, some wine like flavors probably the oak. It is on the sweet side, with no hops obvious. The mouthfeel is good, very smooth and creamy. It goes down way too easy for a 9% beer!

3.27/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a black hole like sludge into a tulip glass with barely any head.

The aroma is strongly of coffee and roasted malts. you can also smell the oak.

The taste is intense. It overwhelms the senses with a very alcoholic taste. Also the presence of oak, vanilla, and coffee.

Overall, I think this is just a little too boozy and or wood flavored. I think a year or so of aging would mellow it out.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured this from a bomber into a pint glass. It was black with very little head but lots of lacing. It poured fairly thick. You could definitely smell oak and vanilla with roasted malts. It was very thick and surprisingly sweet from what I remember from the last time I had it. The malt taste was also overpowered by vanilla. I have to say it was too much. I've read other reviews saying the alcohol was too much, but I didn't think it was too boozy. I had this out with friends before, but this time I drank it at home. I was less impressed with it this time, so it'll be some time before I have it again.

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours with a clear dark brown color with ruby tint. Has a nice tan head that sticks around nicely. Aroma is wonderfully complex -- it has some reserved sweetness with oak and vanilla notes...wait until it warms a bit, and a little roast also comes through.

This beer is well balanced and has a surprisingly dry finish; as the beer warms a little, the vanilla notes become somewhat more pronounced.

An enjoyable beer. I like the oak and vanilla over some other examples that can add overpowering bourbon flavor.

3.72/5  rDev -6.3%

Many thanks to Gaisgeil for this beer!

Poured a roasty black, with a light tan head that fades to a small patch quickly.

Smell is heavily of vanilla and oak, has a hint of a bourbon to the finish.

The oak absolutely dominates the taste from start to finish. A bit of vanilla and milk sweetness rise through, with a hint of hop tartness at the very end. Oak is all over.

Carbonation is spot on, and the slightly lactic acidity in the beer leaves your mouth ready for more vanilla sweetness. I'd like to see it a little bit heavier, but I consider the thickest of imperial stouts to be my bread and butter, so I'm a bit biased I suppose.

A tasty beer, to be sure, but the alcohol makes a 22oz bottle a night's beer.
Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

I paid $7.99 for the bomber. According to the bottle this is the 2011 vintage and part of their High Gravity Series. The label says the ABV is 10.0% (BeerAdvocate reports it is 9%)

I often open a new bottle with dinner and break out my pen and little notepad. My 4 year old daughter likes to smell each one I try. When she smelled this I asked her what she thought. She said, "chocolate!" She'll have to wait 17 more years but it was obvious to a 4 year old that the nose was dominated by chocolate here.

It poured a dark brown, near black with some ruby tones. It gave a thin tan head.

The flavors were of cocoa, coffee, toffee, and toasty vanilla derived from the oak barrels. The oak was evident and I'd guess they are using American oak barrels and the oak was upfront and French oak would have been too subtle for the brew, though might have been nice and subdued.

Dragon's Milk gave a long finish with a bit of alcohol bite on the side of the tongue and a little bit of oak tannins drying the mouth.

Overall, very nice, though I might prefer New Holland's Night Tripper slightly. I'd buy this again. Good stuff and while not cheap at $7.99, still a decent value for a bomber when others charge over $10 for lesser beers.

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%

Just about as dark as they come, with a quarter inch head after an aggressive pour. Head dissapated quickly, but left good lacing throughout.

Aroma was malt and chocolate, not getting much oak. Carbonation was low, with a thick syrupy mouthfeel.

VERY sweet, no hop presence at all. Could not drink more than 2 of these due to the sweetness and strength.

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

Look: Deep ruby/dark brown color, thick head that dissipates quickly, with good lacing

Smell: Bourbon, roasted malt, molasses, coffee, vanilla, brown sugar

Taste: Up Front: Bourbon, vanilla, and raisins
Finish: Dark brown sugar, lot's of booze. Finish is also dry

Mouthfeel: Rich, almost syrupy

Drinkability: Relatively easy to drink, but it's a "one and done" kind of beer for me

Overall Impression: When I bought it, I was under the impression it was an Imperial Stout, but I realized right away that it was too thin for the style. It was a slightly imbalanced - a little heavy on the sweetness, but it is a good (borderline Very Good) beer nonetheless, and certainly worth trying, especially if you like barrel aged beers like I do.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at Tyler's Taproom in Apex, NC. Served in a tulip glass.

The beer was black with a deep copper, almost red hue. Not much head to be had.

First and foremost, the hops and grain stand out. There just is no ignoring the vanilla on the nose of this beer. Very subtle oak resin and dark sugar overtones as well.

Immediately malty and bittersweet. Caramel, oak resin, and raisin begin to take over the beer right before the vanilla hits you. It's a very sweet beer, but the bitterness is not lost on the edges of your palette.

Very full bodied, but the carbonation complements it nicely. Definitely a warmer with the abv of this thing.

This was a fantastically delicious beer. It's a HUGE beer though. The ABV on this sucker will really sneak up and hit you.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company