Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2016 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Ratings: 5,823 |  Reviews: 1,522
4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow, this is a good beer. (I would like to add now a caveat: I don't like this new review system) Anyway, to the main reason I am here. This beer has everything going for it in my opinion. However I would not drink more than one at a time.

Black as night, some caramel foamy head on top that dissipates after a few minutes. But never really goes away completely.

Smell: Chocolate, toffee, bourbon, vanilla, lots of deep dessert like aroma's coming from this one.

Taste: Here you go, this is where its at. Not too sweet, not too bitter, not too much of that coffee thing that tends to ruin this style of beer. It has a nice softness to it considering its a carbonated beer. I wonder how good this one would be on nitro? Like drinking a brownie with bourbon. This is just an awesome beer, one of the best I have had in a long time. I also purchased the chili pepper version. That is not something I would normally purchase, but since this one was so good I thought I would give it a try in the future.

Overall: If you have never tried this beer and you like stouts that are not too burnt tasting, not too much of that coffee thing. This I think is referred to a "milk stout", which is a style I am now just discovering, because honestly it was not something I would have normally tried. But, thanks to Beer Camp and the double latte for turning me on to this style.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a snifter. Appearance is nearly black, with a half-inch creamy light brown head that faded within a minute or two. The nose is very boozy up front, almost mediciny, with some slight notes of coffee, chocolate and vanilla. I didn't get the alcohol in the taste, as the malts covered it nicely. A bit of chocolate and some dark fruit flavors lasted on the back end. As it warmed, the chocolate really came out. I thought the mouthfeel was a little thin for such a big beer. Overall, a pretty damn good imp stout, I'd buy it again! I'm going to throw a few in the cellar to see well they hold up with some time on them.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz bottle from 2014 poured into snifter

A- Dark brown, a bit thin, almost no head.
S- Not a hugely areomatic beer... carmel, slight bourbon, roasted malt
T- Nice base beer althought it seems much more like a porter than a stout to me. Roasted malts, very balanced. Thin and sweet bourbon flavor comes through on the back end. Maybe a bit of vanilla.
M - Medium. Leaves your mouth sticky.

O- Great every day "bourbon barrel" aged beer. Very accessable for those who want to start

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Yes, you can taste the bourbon. And it's awesome.

1.25/5  rDev -69%