Dragon's Milk

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Dragon's MilkDragon's Milk
Notes: A barrel aged Imperial Stout with roasty malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones, all dancing in an oak bath.

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV
2016 Bottles are 11% ABV
Reviews: 1,652 | Ratings: 6,366
4.58/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dragon's Milk has a medium, beige head, a dark brown appearance, with ruby highlights and moderate lacing. Aroma is of bourbon barrel and coconut, and the flavor is of dark-roasted malt, cream, coffee, raisin, and coconut. Mouthfeel is thin, like a porter, and Dragon's Milk finishes medium dry.

RJT

4.64/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I have the bourbon barrel aged version of the Dragon's Milk Imperial stout. This is also an adjunct free imperial stout by the way. I have only had 3 other bourbon barrel aged stouts & I did not care for any of them. I am glad that I did not give up on the Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout beer style because it lead me to this wonderful creation. New Holland did a good job masking the 11% abv. I heard New Holland is starting to be mass produced, oh that is bad news. I am glad that I was able to try this beer before it got mass produced. So far this is World Class Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout in my opinion maybe my opinion will change after I drink a few more different Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts from a few different breweries. I also dig the name of this beer its clever. The bourbon gives this base beer somewhat of a vanilla thing going on with some faint cinnamon action interplaying their as well. Thanks to this beer I will continue to drink Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts, but it is too bad they sold out to AB INBEV. I expect the quality of this stout to go downhill eventually. Cheers! A

Awesome and unique. The notes of milk in it along with the bourbon notes are going to give it that cold winter night kind of vibe, this is also a beer you can crack open in the middle of summer and enjoy it on a cooler night. All around a great darker beer.

This has excellent taste the bottles the label the box all have excellent detail on them. it does sneak up on you I am not use to a beer that is as strong as dragons milk 11% is a little up there but anyways I will definitely be buying more

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

DATE: September 15, 2018... OCCASION: Watching The Searchers--though I will never catch up with my dad's John Wayne prodigious list... GLASSWARE: Corsendonk tulip... this pours as intimidating as one might expect of a dragon--jet black breathing two fingers of creamy brown head... first smell is of graham cracker, lactic milky sweetness, fragrant boozy bourbon and oak, charcoal and peat.... what astounds at first sip is its smooth draw, which at 11%, is a massive accomplishment... its full-bodied finish lasts with a creamy, thick ease... the peat and earthiness evoke an Islay scotch, while its sweetly toasted malts suggest hearty bourbon... brackish, complex, a citric flavor sneaks through its murk... light vanilla bean, chocolate, milkiness, and a subtle fire that is stoked by each sip... this is a beer worthy of finishing off a night, a dessert, or a cigar.... I waited a while to try this, and glad I did on tap....

2.11/5  rDev -48.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

I am new to the site, and I looked up several reviews on drinks I've had, and mostly agreed. This, however, is not even close to the quality I am used to. I am a general fan of Founders, and I love their Breakfast Stout, and Dirty Bastard, however... This is bottom shelf quality. It tastes like watered down, generic, Crown Royal. It's price is outrageous compared to it's quality. I'm a three strike sort of man, but with what I paid for this, compared to what I got... that's two strikes at once.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

There are a bajillion different versions of this beer, but I had the original, and after that, I'd be happy to try a bunch more. It's pretty high-alcohol, very boozy, and very good. You definitely get the rich stout flavor from the barrel aging, and the sweetness from the imperial portion really comes through. Well-made, and now I'll look for some of the other varieties too.

3.79/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

appearance: during the pour, the beer is a very brownish-black, akin to coffee, but it quickly becomes almost pitch black when in a full glass. held up to the light it has dark ruby highlights. after pouring, it formed with a 2cm creamy tan head that fell into a nice cap.

smell: nice and rich and chocolatey. reminds me of a chocolate stout but more roasty. there are hints of vanilla on the nose as well, reminiscent of a creamy dark chocolate mousse with a dash of coffee.

taste: the initial taste is very sweet and chocolatey. as it slides down the mouth and throat the vanilla comes up very noticeably, but only for a moment as the aftertaste gives way to more dark chocolate that blends very well with vanilla.

feel: very smooth, thick, and creamy. full bodied but not heavy. goes down like a charm, very little burn noticeable for 11% ABV. after a period of time some warmth becomes evident in the belly but it remains there and lingers comfortably.

overall: a very tasty imperial stout that's easy to drink and has a nice alcoholic kick. personally, it's a little too sweet, as i prefer more of a russian style imperial stout, but i won't complain. recommended if you like sweet and creamy stouts with a hint of roastiness.

4.31/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a black with some ruby in shallower parts of the glass. Aroma is very boozy with some bourbon, malt, coffee, chocolate on the nose. Taste is much of the same with a nice balanced melding of all these flavors without too much roastiness being evident. If anything the roastiness is probably a little too subdued and this is coming from one who doesn't particularly like stouts and porters due to the roast. Either way this is a pleasant sipper.

4.81/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I gotta say that this beer is one of the best crafts to come out. Its slightly too bitter but I have found that only to be the case with bottles. The drafts are not as bitter so to start out trying it I would go with a draft.

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%

Very nice stout that lives up to its high expectations. Nice deep dark black color, some tan head and a little spotty lingering lacing. Smells of bourbon, wood, vanilla and a little chocolate. Tastes similarly, along with some mild coffee, caramel and malt. Slightly boozy but really quite well balanced and alcohol isn’t that forward. Smooth, slightly creamy and soft mild mouthfeel. Good carbonation and the flavors really mellowed as the beer warmed. Outstanding beer!

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

I really wanted to like this beer. It is a very complex beer, however it is too astringent (bitter) and I could never overcome this barrier to the other flavors in the beer.
I have another bottle, and will give it some time and come back to it as it might be a pallet issue.

4.04/5  rDev -1%

Sweet. Served too cold, but once it warmed up had lots of sweet raisiny vanilla oaky flavors. A good slow dessert drink. Foundation hotel. Detroit, July 2018

4.46/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is just always good to drink. If I ever want a barrel aged Imperial Stout that I know will be consistently good, this is my go to beer. Good taste, great price. Just a nice mouth feel that tastes delicious each sip.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

First had Dragon’s Milk, my first beer from New Holland, poured from 12-oz. bottle, stamped “BOTTLED 03/14/18,” into solo cup. This is one surprisingly light and smooth 11.00 bourbon barrel-aged beer.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My go-to beer to drink alone, buttery, nice vanilla, very boozy and creamy. I like to let this warm a little in the glass and let the flavors deepen. The stronger notes linger on the tongue a bit. Even has kind of a scotch-whisky note to me (which I LOVE).

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cellared for a special occasion, and tonight’s the night! Everything about this screams excellence. Truly enjoyable, nice black pour, aroma of chocolate and burnt toast, mildly sweet flavor. Gets more buttery as it warms. I’m glad I saved it! Happy birthday to me!

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Yum! Served it after letting the bottle sit at room temp for about 15 minutes. Thick, sweet, malty, dark, certainly has a bit of bourbon bite and mild bitterness. Reminds me of why I really gravitated toward stouts when I first got into beer!

3.59/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Considering how buttery/creamy the taste was I wonder if they aged it in Elijah Craig barrels considering that whiskey has an aftertaste of buttered popcorn and cream.

4.59/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From Labirratorium. In Teku glass. Playing Avernum 3. Very oak-forward, but so well implemented that it doesnt bother at all, maybe thanks to the vanilla. Best oaking ive experienced. Abv completely hidden

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%

Very delicious beer for stout lovers and those who want to love them. Tastes of a roasty vanilla with a slightly alcohol taste in the finish. Still a very good beer. Suggest buying in a 22 oz bottle, chill and enjoy!

4.04/5  rDev -1%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a tulip. Bottled 3/20/18.

Appearance: totally black with a thick finger of frothy tan foam atop. Great!

Smell: sweet, with caramel, toffee, vanilla and bourbon aromas. There's perhaps a little chocolate in the mix, but it's a bit more "barrel" than "stout". Still, a good-smelling beer.

Taste: rich and malty with a pretty hefty barrel character. There's good vanilla and caramel character up front, then the flavor fades into a general booziness. There's a little chocolate and roast in the mix, but they play second fiddle to the barrel.

Mouthfeel: rich body with a good level of carbonation and a smooth, satisfying creaminess. I really like it.

Overall: this beer has a lot going for it, and it's really tasty. However, I'd love a little bit more "stout" going on -- chocolate, or coffee, or general roastiness, or something.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

When Tonight is a one beer night. This has become my number one option. I love the change that it goes through as it warms. Almost like 2 different beers. Not positive on which one that I preferred . For me, a 30-40 minute beer. Plus, my wife feels better about my discipline when she sees me drink one and done.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottled on 4/13/17 (2017 Vintage)

Look: black with a frothy, tan head

Smell: toasted oak and vanilla, a bit of smoke, chocolate, and a touch of bourbon all come together nicely

Taste: follows the nose while adding an enhanced roasty quality throughout; there's a barrel-like char and vanilla sweetness that reminds of fresh s'mores and a bit of bubblegum

Feel: creamy with a good bit of carbonation, but not enough to be too distracting

Big, malty, and roasty, with a year in the bottle mellowing things out nicely. A simple yet flavorful BA stout, and a good entry point for exploring the style.

Every year, I wait for our local craft brewery to release Imperial Stout, which sells out in 2 days. Dragon’s Milk is even better! My new favorite beer! Perfection!

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company