Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,446 | Ratings: 5,491
3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

2010 batch for $3 a bottle

A: Pours a pitch black color with a small foamy khaki color cap. Retention is minimal.

S: Right off the bat you get the barrel aromas - wet wood/oak, bourbon in the nose (despite the fact that there is no bourbon), lots of vanilla, caramel, toffee.

T: The flavor is pretty interesting...its similar to BCS, but much thinner and with less bourbon/vanilla/richness. Actually pretty good. Alcohol is extremely warming (not unlike BCS), vanilla, chocolate, lots of oak, a touch of lactose, and maple syrup. Pretty complex, but not really balanced, and a little thin.

MF/D: Viscous body, smooth and creamy feel. Finish consists of vanilla and oak with a touch of bitterness/sourness.

Notes: This is like BCSs ugly cousin...a little thinner, sloppier, and less complex, but still good.

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

On-tap.

Pours one shade from black with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of vanilla and butterscotch. Also present are sweet caramel malt undertones with slight amounts of roasted malt flavors.

Tastes good. A combination of sweet caramel malt and roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by sweet butterscotch flavors. Midway through the sip hints of light chocolate flavors make an appearance before being crowded out by smooth vanilla. Finally, hints of earthy oak come into play and carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a smooth thickness with nice carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem however I'm not sure about another.

Overall this was a very nice beer however the sweetness from the barrels was just a bit over the top and hurt the drinkabililty for me. Still, a good beer that should be on par with Crème Brulee as far as love-hate relationships.

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Nice change of pace. The first few sips, I don't know and half way through the bottle iwas thinking this is good.
A- dark brown to black thin tan head that faded quickly
S- Dryed fruit, burbon and water
T- Lots of burbon, a little roasted malt and dryed fruit Prune raisons and fig
M- Thick from all the malt
D- Like I said on top. At first maybe than in the middle on this is good.

4.7/5  rDev +18.4%

Dragon's Milk (2010)
New Holland Brewing Co.
A.V.B.=10.0%
Price: $13.95 / 4 pk.
Overall Rating: [4.5 out of 5]

Appearance: A dark and syrupy pour. Looks like a roiling boil as it fills the glass. Completely opaque, with the appearance of REALLY dirty motor oil. The only way you'll get light through it is when you tipping you glass to the sky! 1 Finger's worth of a tight head of tannish-ruby color. [4 out of 5]

Smell: Strong and malty. Chocolate, smoke (oak), and vanilla really come out of this one. Nice sweet smell. You can tell there's a significant ABV. [4 out of 5]

Taste: Uber dark chocolate taste. Fantastically sweet with just the right amount of maltiness. There is a presence of bourbon (oak barrels), but it doesn't assault the taste buds as much as a Founders KBS, or Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout. For as significant as the vanilla aroma is, I'm not getting nearly as much vanilla as I had expected (and hoped for!). Stronger flavors just simply overpower it, I think. The taste coats for a few seconds, but the bitterness hangs for the duration of the glass. [5 out of 5]

Mouthfeel: Being a HUGE fan of thick, syrupy stouts, this one is right up there with Founders Breakfast Stout, and Great Divide's Yetti. This is the type of beer that you "take a pull from", instead of sip or drink. The full bodied feel as you pull it into your mouth is quite satisfying. Just the right amount of carbonation meets your tongue and bubbles accompany your "pull" all the way down. A quick swish before swallowing swells it into a frothy beast that coats all the way down. (Stop it, you're a pervert!) [5 out of 5]

Drinkability: (Yes, that was a word before Budwiser snatched it for a marketing ploy). I knew when I poured a glass of what looked like motor oil that I was in love. If you're a fan of the dark side, the bittersweet nature of this beer is sure to please. The high ABV and full bodied nature of this beer makes it a perfect choice to sip during conversation, movies, or as I prefer, while editing video. If you like the darkest of the dark, give this a try. You probably ought to keep it to just one or two at a time, though! [5 out of 5]

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a snifter on 9/8/10

2010 Vintage

Pours a dark cola-brown; settles dark. Brown around the edges. The head is alternately tight foam & loose bubbles; starting off at 1/2 inch, the foam skims out but the bubbles remain. Minimal, spotty lace.

The aroma is rather bold; notes of oak & vanilla abound. Roasted dark malts, bakers chocolate & faint earthy undertones. Some appreciable bourbon heat. The wood notes impart a musty aroma. Nice, straightforward nose.

Dry, roasted dark malts are first to cross the palate, as distinct oak & vanilla flavors manifest on the peripheries. As with the nose, bourbon makes no attempt at disguise. Swaths of chocolate make for a mildly sweet offset. Hints of earthy hops. Maybe a hint of brown sugar & molasses. Very faint burnt notions.

Full bodied, though at times it seems a tad thin; possibly a result of a being cleanly-crafted. Carbonation is low enough it doesn't get in the way. Indeed, this is a rather smooth drinking beer. Finishes with a spot of alcohol heat; vanilla, oak & roastiness linger.

Sure, Dragon's Milk is a sipper, but drinkability is pretty good considering. I've been known to enjoy a bottle from time to time & I'll continue to do so. Though not mind-blowing, it's well-structured, tasty & enjoyable. Worth a shot.

3.93/5  rDev -1%

12oz into a New Holland Tulip

Pours dark black with red brown highlights. Not much head or lacing to tell of.

Aroma shows strong vanilla/oak. Subtle malt sweetness lurks in the background. Nice.

Taste is very nice. Brings together elements of old ale, baltic porter, an oak aged stout nicely. Quite similar to Founder's Black Biscuit.

Mouth and drinkability both are high on the charts. Very nice brew.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

I didn't know what to expect from this beer, but, I did get a LOT of flavor! Poured into a Sam Adams glass from a bomber, I got a lot of Jack Daniels in the nose. Taste was pretty much the same. I was hoping for oak, but, got more whiskey than expected. I didn't sense much vanilla. If you're in the mood for whiskey with a beer chaser, just go for this! It's nice to sip anytime of the year.

3.73/5  rDev -6%

A - A nice dark brown fading to darker brown. Small head that sticks and laces very nicely

S - A nice mixture of bourbon, vanilla and molasses

T - The taste does it for me. An awesome blend of molasses and vanilla. Not to be confused with a sweet beer! There is a mild bitterness to this beer

Overall I really enjoy one or two of these after a hard day of work.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

poured into a pint glass.

A.
an extremely dark brown brew. minimal head.

S.

The first thing you smell on this beer is bourbon. an "oaky" bourbon with a little vanilla.

T.

very malty with a hint of vanilla. then the big bourbon kick at the very end.

M.

a smooth drink, but packs some heat w/ the alcohol. a little burn on the lips and tongue.

D.

IMO, one and you're done. This is a very strong brew. one can understand why you only get a 4 pack. would almost be a chore to have another.

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

It had a weak head but with a good dark color. The smell didn't really come through for me. It showed some chocolate and a bourbon taste, but not overpowering. It definitely is a beer with strong taste. It leans a little to a porter, instead of an ale, with a thick chewy taste.

4.63/5  rDev +16.6%

I've had this multiple times and am reviewing this purely from memory. This is just an amazing combination of roasted malts, vanilla, and bourbon. I can drink this at anytime whether it's on a cold winter night or outside in the heat (I ordered it while sitting outside on a 90 degree day, just because I saw it on tap), which is saying something for a beer this type of beer. This beer was my first of New Holland's and I've been aggresively seeking out anything in their high gravity series ever since.

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle. Pours a dark brown with a red hue, thin fizzy tan head that quickly diminishes, good lacing. Aroma is caramel, vanilla, dark fruits, and wood. Flavor is caramel and roasted malts, vanilla, wood, chocolate, a hint of alcohol, slightly herbal, and dark fruits. Mouthfeel is medium, lots of roasted bitterness with a slight alcohol burn, and fairly carbonated. Good beer.

2.73/5  rDev -31.2%

Great deep color with a fluffy caramel colored head. Very Oakey smell with some lovely toffee notes.
The taste is quite potent with a strong alcohol flavor that almost overpowers the other flavors. The oak flavors give it a very nice whiskey feel, which i do enjoy. It isn't terribly drinkable due to its potency.
This brew is good for a whiskey lover and has some good qualities but also has some room for some improvements.

3.97/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Pours to a opaque black with literally no head. An aggressive pour yielded a miniscule tan head that dissapeared instantly.

Smell: Smells instantly of toffee and vanilla, with some fig maybe?

Taste: First up is the obvious vanilla and toffee, however they quickly fade to accommodate the obvious alcohol presence. Finishes with subtle fruity hops.

Mouthfeel: Definitely full-bodied and chewy. Very little carbonation.

Drinkability: The flavors are really very good in this beer, however the high alcohol content is quite present. Very good nightcap.

3.74/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Dark, dark brown pour that starts with a small off white head. Quickly disappears to a ring around the glass

S: Starts with vanilla, but is quickly met with some fruit (cherry, raisin). Rounds out with some oak, caramel and a touch of smoke

T: Definitely a let down from the nose. Mostly one dimensional with smoke, although more of a roasted smoke. There are traces of vanilla, bourbon and oak, but they don't last long. Has a pretty off putting aftertaste

M: Full bodied. Light carbonation, which seems appropriate for the style. Leaves an aftertaste of alcohol and metal?

D: Smells so much better then it tastes. Alcohol is mostly hidden, but it's still a slow sipper. I've got a bomber cellared in hopes that some age cleans up the taste. In it's current form, I'd pass

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Starts off whit a nice fluffy light brown head. This beer is dark black in color.

I love the smell of this beer. Lots of chocolate, vanilla, booze (rye & bourbon).

Tastes of sweet rum chocolates, creamy vanilla spread, oak and alcohol. All in all this is a pretty nice beer and makes a great night cap.

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, 2010 bottling

A - Pours a dark, almost black color with about a half inch or so of tan head. Decent retention and sticky lacing

S - Nose is full of roasted coffee, cocoa, a bit of vanilla, some alcohol and oak. Most of the smell's are ones that I would typically associate with a stout or porter

T&M - My initial impression, and I hate to use a word from the name of the beer, was "milky". There are strong notes of cocoa and coffee, with roasted malts, some alcohol esters, and I found the wood from the barrel to be more of an undertone, which to my mind is the way it should be (these notes come out a bit more as the beer warms). Medium bodied, smooth and creamy. If you put this in front of me blind and asked me to identify the style, I probably would have said an oaked milk stout.

D - I thought this was quite tasty, and the alcohol was well hidden. Creamy, smooth and easy to drink

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

2010 vintage

Dark brown with russet highlights and a sandy brown head.

Bourbon is the first thing I notice upon putting my nose in the glass and inhaling some of the liquid:) Toasty cocoa and oak notes hangin' out with some vanilla and molasses biotches. Not overdone or overpowering aroma, it's just pleasant.

Some boozy heat on the tongue, but that's okay being that there are noticable bourbon notes for it to stick to. Toasty caramel, chocolate, and bourbon flavors lead to a warm feeling in my tummy; the body has some soft richness, but could use a touch more. It's no oak aged yeti, but I have faith in aging a bottle or two of this for a few. Mellow this sucka out.

4.11/5  rDev +3.5%

***DISCLAIMER***
I have no sense of smell!
FIRST BEER REVIEW

Bought this bottle with a friend after I was told its a great beer. I must agree.

The appearance to me is simply beautiful. The lovely Dark dark brown was spellbinding. And the head has a lovely dark tan color.

(No Sense of Smell)- The taste is always a bit skewed for me, because I can't smell, i feel as though sometimes i am missing out on specific flavors. When i drink a good beer its usually with fellow BA (blackhawk87) he usually describes flavors i miss out on and I thank him for helping me through these flavors. Back to the taste, for me, i get alot of maltiness and alot of bourbon flavor it dances on my tongue and taste fantastic.

The mouthfeel is thick and tasty, with hints of chocolate and bourbon.

The drinkability: Drink it slow and enjoy. I let it warm up a bit before i had my filling. It is thick in the mouth with a chocolate feel. As i take my last few sips, the bourbon really stands out to me. As this beer gains temperature the bourbon really presents its self to the drinker.

I thoroughly enjoyed this brew, and am excited to write more
poorly gramatical reviews.

3.97/5  rDev 0%

Pretty good offering from New Holland. I've been wanting to try this for a while now. CBX got it on tap, so I had to take advantage of it. Thought it had a nice taste of coffee, chocolate malts, and a finish of slight bourbon. I thought it went together pretty well and didn't have a nasty aftertaste. Even though it was a little hot here, it still went well, didn't make me feel bloated and full. Glad I got the chance to try it.

3.97/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured out an opaque, dark, dark brown color with a small, off-white head of foam. It left minimal lacing.

S - It smelled of oak, bourbon and chocoate. None of them were overpowering

T - Good balance here, too. Chocolate, sweet caramel malt, bourbon, oak, vanilla and some toffee.

M - It was soft and smooth. A medium bodied brew with some alcohol warmth.

D - This is a nicely done aged beer. New Holland put out a balanced big beer.

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a medium snifter glass. Also tasted at Bailey's 3rd anniversary party recently.

A: Color is black, fading to a dark brown with amber tints along the edges. Pours with a very thin light tan head that fades to a white line along the edge very quickly.

S: Smell is dominated by a strong boubon flavor with a healthy dose of vanilla. Some faint chocolate notes, but really, this is about the bourbon and vanilla.

T: Bourbon continues up front, but mellows by mid taste with a subtle, but nice chocolate malt presence. Vanilla continues, along with some caramel and toffee notes. Finish is definitely warming and a touch boozy.

M: Heavy bodied with a fairly low carbonation. Very smooth.

D: I very much enjoyed the vanilla flavors in this, although it did seem a little one-dimensional. The bourbon flavors dominated the base beer. While good and something I had no problem finishing, this wasn't the strongest bourbon aged beer I've had recently.

3.99/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the bottle into my Stone IRS snifter

A - Black beer with a circle of white head. Head is lacking but body looks banging.

S - Bourbon, oak, vanilla in that order. That's about all. It smells really good. I was in the mood for something that tasted bourbony and this is it.

T - Nice bourbony flavor mixed with hints of vanilla oak and caramel. I wondered why this was not labeled a stout and I can now see, there isn't much roast in here at all. That is about the only thing that I would add to improve this beer.

M - Medium body with a light carbonation. Pretty smooth.

D - This beer is giving me a nice hint of bourbon flavor which is what I was wanting. I enjoy this beer but wish it had a little bigger body and roasted flavor but it isn't a stout so I can't really knock it for that. I'm glad I can find this pretty easily it is perfect for when I want a nice bourbon flavored brew.

3.62/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2010: This is a Stout, 10%ABV aged in oak barrels. (it says stout on the bottle damn-it!)

A: Poured into my sniftner, this beer pours a black body with a lighter then normal stout tan head. Nothing too impressive as the head dissipates quickly.

S: The aroma is that of chocolate covered vanilla beans. The boozy background and lack of complexity grounds this brew to a 4.0, but I love how much the vanilla shines.

T: The taste consists of light notes of chocolate, heavy spice notes that you would find in a Belgium quad, vanilla (but not the smoothness of vanilla itself), and at cold it tends to be a little boozy. Let this one warm up before drinking, it mellows out the boozyness and makes this stout much more enjoyable.

MF/D: Mouthfeel wise, this beer is lacking fullness that I've come to enjoy, and because New Holland could have hid the ABV a tad bit better, the drinkability will suffer too.

Overall, this beer is a treat. Maybe it is a new style....black ASA? This brew has qualities of both a stout and an ASA in one, but with a name like Dragon's Milk...why not make a milk stout?

Thanks strikertown for being a generous trading partner.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

comes out of the bottle looking brown but settles to a black with a wispy light tan head that disappears quickly but leaves a film on the glass.

aroma is mostly chocolate and oak. some licorice, dark fruits, coffee and toffee. smells appetizing!

oak is most dominant with chocolate and fruit coming next. cocoa powder, dates, licorice, vanilla extract, toffee, nougat, caramel, raisins, molasses, soy sauce, dark roasted coffee and many other flavors can be found in this one. oak is a bit strong, but this is a 2010 vintage, so it may be young, however I love the oak and how it interplays in this beer.

heavy/medium bodied with a creamy feel left on the mouth but perhaps a bit too much prickly carbonation. some drying cocoa powder on the finish as well as some lingering booze heat.

drinks so well due to the complex flavors intermingling and all vying for attention. booze is there, but its not overpowering. It's just another facet of the complex flavor portfolio this monster of a beer puts out. Excellent brew.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company