Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,438 | Ratings: 5,433
3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

poured into a pint glass.

A.
an extremely dark brown brew. minimal head.

S.

The first thing you smell on this beer is bourbon. an "oaky" bourbon with a little vanilla.

T.

very malty with a hint of vanilla. then the big bourbon kick at the very end.

M.

a smooth drink, but packs some heat w/ the alcohol. a little burn on the lips and tongue.

D.

IMO, one and you're done. This is a very strong brew. one can understand why you only get a 4 pack. would almost be a chore to have another.

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

It had a weak head but with a good dark color. The smell didn't really come through for me. It showed some chocolate and a bourbon taste, but not overpowering. It definitely is a beer with strong taste. It leans a little to a porter, instead of an ale, with a thick chewy taste.

4.63/5  rDev +16.6%

I've had this multiple times and am reviewing this purely from memory. This is just an amazing combination of roasted malts, vanilla, and bourbon. I can drink this at anytime whether it's on a cold winter night or outside in the heat (I ordered it while sitting outside on a 90 degree day, just because I saw it on tap), which is saying something for a beer this type of beer. This beer was my first of New Holland's and I've been aggresively seeking out anything in their high gravity series ever since.

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle. Pours a dark brown with a red hue, thin fizzy tan head that quickly diminishes, good lacing. Aroma is caramel, vanilla, dark fruits, and wood. Flavor is caramel and roasted malts, vanilla, wood, chocolate, a hint of alcohol, slightly herbal, and dark fruits. Mouthfeel is medium, lots of roasted bitterness with a slight alcohol burn, and fairly carbonated. Good beer.

2.73/5  rDev -31.2%

Great deep color with a fluffy caramel colored head. Very Oakey smell with some lovely toffee notes.
The taste is quite potent with a strong alcohol flavor that almost overpowers the other flavors. The oak flavors give it a very nice whiskey feel, which i do enjoy. It isn't terribly drinkable due to its potency.
This brew is good for a whiskey lover and has some good qualities but also has some room for some improvements.

3.97/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Pours to a opaque black with literally no head. An aggressive pour yielded a miniscule tan head that dissapeared instantly.

Smell: Smells instantly of toffee and vanilla, with some fig maybe?

Taste: First up is the obvious vanilla and toffee, however they quickly fade to accommodate the obvious alcohol presence. Finishes with subtle fruity hops.

Mouthfeel: Definitely full-bodied and chewy. Very little carbonation.

Drinkability: The flavors are really very good in this beer, however the high alcohol content is quite present. Very good nightcap.

3.74/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Dark, dark brown pour that starts with a small off white head. Quickly disappears to a ring around the glass

S: Starts with vanilla, but is quickly met with some fruit (cherry, raisin). Rounds out with some oak, caramel and a touch of smoke

T: Definitely a let down from the nose. Mostly one dimensional with smoke, although more of a roasted smoke. There are traces of vanilla, bourbon and oak, but they don't last long. Has a pretty off putting aftertaste

M: Full bodied. Light carbonation, which seems appropriate for the style. Leaves an aftertaste of alcohol and metal?

D: Smells so much better then it tastes. Alcohol is mostly hidden, but it's still a slow sipper. I've got a bomber cellared in hopes that some age cleans up the taste. In it's current form, I'd pass

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Starts off whit a nice fluffy light brown head. This beer is dark black in color.

I love the smell of this beer. Lots of chocolate, vanilla, booze (rye & bourbon).

Tastes of sweet rum chocolates, creamy vanilla spread, oak and alcohol. All in all this is a pretty nice beer and makes a great night cap.

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, 2010 bottling

A - Pours a dark, almost black color with about a half inch or so of tan head. Decent retention and sticky lacing

S - Nose is full of roasted coffee, cocoa, a bit of vanilla, some alcohol and oak. Most of the smell's are ones that I would typically associate with a stout or porter

T&M - My initial impression, and I hate to use a word from the name of the beer, was "milky". There are strong notes of cocoa and coffee, with roasted malts, some alcohol esters, and I found the wood from the barrel to be more of an undertone, which to my mind is the way it should be (these notes come out a bit more as the beer warms). Medium bodied, smooth and creamy. If you put this in front of me blind and asked me to identify the style, I probably would have said an oaked milk stout.

D - I thought this was quite tasty, and the alcohol was well hidden. Creamy, smooth and easy to drink

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

2010 vintage

Dark brown with russet highlights and a sandy brown head.

Bourbon is the first thing I notice upon putting my nose in the glass and inhaling some of the liquid:) Toasty cocoa and oak notes hangin' out with some vanilla and molasses biotches. Not overdone or overpowering aroma, it's just pleasant.

Some boozy heat on the tongue, but that's okay being that there are noticable bourbon notes for it to stick to. Toasty caramel, chocolate, and bourbon flavors lead to a warm feeling in my tummy; the body has some soft richness, but could use a touch more. It's no oak aged yeti, but I have faith in aging a bottle or two of this for a few. Mellow this sucka out.

4.11/5  rDev +3.5%

***DISCLAIMER***
I have no sense of smell!
FIRST BEER REVIEW

Bought this bottle with a friend after I was told its a great beer. I must agree.

The appearance to me is simply beautiful. The lovely Dark dark brown was spellbinding. And the head has a lovely dark tan color.

(No Sense of Smell)- The taste is always a bit skewed for me, because I can't smell, i feel as though sometimes i am missing out on specific flavors. When i drink a good beer its usually with fellow BA (blackhawk87) he usually describes flavors i miss out on and I thank him for helping me through these flavors. Back to the taste, for me, i get alot of maltiness and alot of bourbon flavor it dances on my tongue and taste fantastic.

The mouthfeel is thick and tasty, with hints of chocolate and bourbon.

The drinkability: Drink it slow and enjoy. I let it warm up a bit before i had my filling. It is thick in the mouth with a chocolate feel. As i take my last few sips, the bourbon really stands out to me. As this beer gains temperature the bourbon really presents its self to the drinker.

I thoroughly enjoyed this brew, and am excited to write more
poorly gramatical reviews.

3.97/5  rDev 0%

Pretty good offering from New Holland. I've been wanting to try this for a while now. CBX got it on tap, so I had to take advantage of it. Thought it had a nice taste of coffee, chocolate malts, and a finish of slight bourbon. I thought it went together pretty well and didn't have a nasty aftertaste. Even though it was a little hot here, it still went well, didn't make me feel bloated and full. Glad I got the chance to try it.

3.97/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured out an opaque, dark, dark brown color with a small, off-white head of foam. It left minimal lacing.

S - It smelled of oak, bourbon and chocoate. None of them were overpowering

T - Good balance here, too. Chocolate, sweet caramel malt, bourbon, oak, vanilla and some toffee.

M - It was soft and smooth. A medium bodied brew with some alcohol warmth.

D - This is a nicely done aged beer. New Holland put out a balanced big beer.

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a medium snifter glass. Also tasted at Bailey's 3rd anniversary party recently.

A: Color is black, fading to a dark brown with amber tints along the edges. Pours with a very thin light tan head that fades to a white line along the edge very quickly.

S: Smell is dominated by a strong boubon flavor with a healthy dose of vanilla. Some faint chocolate notes, but really, this is about the bourbon and vanilla.

T: Bourbon continues up front, but mellows by mid taste with a subtle, but nice chocolate malt presence. Vanilla continues, along with some caramel and toffee notes. Finish is definitely warming and a touch boozy.

M: Heavy bodied with a fairly low carbonation. Very smooth.

D: I very much enjoyed the vanilla flavors in this, although it did seem a little one-dimensional. The bourbon flavors dominated the base beer. While good and something I had no problem finishing, this wasn't the strongest bourbon aged beer I've had recently.

3.99/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the bottle into my Stone IRS snifter

A - Black beer with a circle of white head. Head is lacking but body looks banging.

S - Bourbon, oak, vanilla in that order. That's about all. It smells really good. I was in the mood for something that tasted bourbony and this is it.

T - Nice bourbony flavor mixed with hints of vanilla oak and caramel. I wondered why this was not labeled a stout and I can now see, there isn't much roast in here at all. That is about the only thing that I would add to improve this beer.

M - Medium body with a light carbonation. Pretty smooth.

D - This beer is giving me a nice hint of bourbon flavor which is what I was wanting. I enjoy this beer but wish it had a little bigger body and roasted flavor but it isn't a stout so I can't really knock it for that. I'm glad I can find this pretty easily it is perfect for when I want a nice bourbon flavored brew.

3.62/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2010: This is a Stout, 10%ABV aged in oak barrels. (it says stout on the bottle damn-it!)

A: Poured into my sniftner, this beer pours a black body with a lighter then normal stout tan head. Nothing too impressive as the head dissipates quickly.

S: The aroma is that of chocolate covered vanilla beans. The boozy background and lack of complexity grounds this brew to a 4.0, but I love how much the vanilla shines.

T: The taste consists of light notes of chocolate, heavy spice notes that you would find in a Belgium quad, vanilla (but not the smoothness of vanilla itself), and at cold it tends to be a little boozy. Let this one warm up before drinking, it mellows out the boozyness and makes this stout much more enjoyable.

MF/D: Mouthfeel wise, this beer is lacking fullness that I've come to enjoy, and because New Holland could have hid the ABV a tad bit better, the drinkability will suffer too.

Overall, this beer is a treat. Maybe it is a new style....black ASA? This brew has qualities of both a stout and an ASA in one, but with a name like Dragon's Milk...why not make a milk stout?

Thanks strikertown for being a generous trading partner.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

comes out of the bottle looking brown but settles to a black with a wispy light tan head that disappears quickly but leaves a film on the glass.

aroma is mostly chocolate and oak. some licorice, dark fruits, coffee and toffee. smells appetizing!

oak is most dominant with chocolate and fruit coming next. cocoa powder, dates, licorice, vanilla extract, toffee, nougat, caramel, raisins, molasses, soy sauce, dark roasted coffee and many other flavors can be found in this one. oak is a bit strong, but this is a 2010 vintage, so it may be young, however I love the oak and how it interplays in this beer.

heavy/medium bodied with a creamy feel left on the mouth but perhaps a bit too much prickly carbonation. some drying cocoa powder on the finish as well as some lingering booze heat.

drinks so well due to the complex flavors intermingling and all vying for attention. booze is there, but its not overpowering. It's just another facet of the complex flavor portfolio this monster of a beer puts out. Excellent brew.

4.37/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Sheffield's into a goblet.

A: As black as black gets with a thin tan head. Decent retention and very light lace on its way to a sold ring. Pretty good-looking for a strong beer.

S: Bourbon is apparent at first, but isn't allowed to dominate. Rich vanilla and caramelized dark fruit (prunes and raisins) follow up with great intensity. Butterscotch and the cinnamon rolls from River Street Restaurant in Spooner, WI are also apparent. Awesome.

T: Follows the nose amazingly precisely. Huge wood, bourbon, malt, caramel, vanilla, fruit, and only the lightest bit of alcohol on the finish. Outstanding.

M: Surprisingly light body that absolutely explodes into pure ultra-=fine effervescence. Interesting, but not necessarily what I want from the style.

D: Excellent for being so strong and sweet.

Notes: Great beer. Stands up to the best of all strong ales, Angel's Share. Stands up quite well, in fact. Delicious, decadent brew.

Cheers!

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Vintage 2010. So, if I were to suckle at a dragon's teat, this is what would end up in my mouth? Interesting. It pours a nearly translucent black-brown. No real head is formed, save a single layer of ecru foamy bubbles, and this doesn't hang around for very long at all. The nose comprises oak, vanilla, what seems like bourbon, chocolate, and cheesecake. The taste follows exactly, with the cheesecake nearly dropping out altogether, the oak gaining some strength, and a drying booziness invading the start of the aftertaste. The body is pretty hefty, with a light carbonation and a thick, chewy feel. I've had previous vintages of this and have been underwhelmed. It's nice to see such improvement in a relatively short amount of time. Or maybe it's been me the whole time...

4.97/5  rDev +25.2%

Beer pours dark brown to black with a decent amount of cream-colored head with good lacing and retention.

Smell gives away the oak right away with sweet toffee / vanilla behind it.

The taste is sweet with a lot of oak and vanilla. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky.

I drank this by a campfire straight from a cooler. It came out of the cooler at around 45F which I think was just about right.

This was a real treat!

3.99/5  rDev +0.5%

A - This is a stout right? Thick black, about a half an inch of head which dissipates quickly.

S - Definately caramel and toffee. Lotsa sweet...I am worried.

T - I am shocked its not as sweet as expected. Seems like dark chocolate cuts the sweet a bit. Kinda nice, though not a fave.

M - Wonderfully creamy, but coats the mouth a bit much.

D - Yeah, this is just a one. I couldn't imagine having another. The sweet is a bit too dominate in the high gravity series.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured 12 oz. bottle into snifter.

A: Dark--very dark. It looks like I'm drinking a Coke (ok, a porter might be a more fitting comparison) out of a snifter. Beige head, about one-and-a-half fingers. Very little lacing.

S: Licorice, toffee, and caramel. Maybe even some raisins. An interesting and satisfying smell to this one.

T: I'm getting toasted malts, cream, dark chocolate, and alcohol. I'm a fan.

M: Good body; after each sip, the creaminess of this ale hangs out on the roof of my mouth for a bit, which I like. Pretty chewy, too.

D: I could definitely sip on a couple of these, which is more than I would first assume for a dark strong ale of 9%.

Very glad I tried this one after hearing rave reviews about it for so long.

4.14/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've given thought to trying this out for some time and finally picked up a bottle on the way home. It may be 90 degrees outside, but my basement is in the 60's. I am a little confused whether this is a stout or a strong ale. The bottle claims it's a stout and also claims an ABV of 10%. Well, at any rate... this poured out a little thinner than I expected. I was thinking something along the lines of motor oil, and this was far from that. The smell was very appealing, there was some nice coffee, vanilla, and dark fruit. The flavor was much the same with a bit of smoke and buttery mellowness from the oak. The mouthfeel left a little to be desired. I want a beer of this flavor profile to slither down my throat, this was a little lighter than I would prefer. All in all, a pretty solid effort.

3.77/5  rDev -5%

A- Pardon me if I mistake this for a stout, in its black slithering body and capaccino head, there's nothing to really distinguish until I hold it to the light and see red rays meander through, betraying its differences from the opaque I'm accustomed to. Not sure how to rate to this style, so I'm comparing to a stout.

S- Caramel, lots of burnt oak (yeah that's practically cheating), sweet hot hints, some toasted marshmallow, a bit of grain, and some dry undertones under all the heavy duty malts. I'm impressed...and yet again, this does nothing to dissuade me from calling this a stout (even an Impy).

T- Not quite as impressed, but still pretty damn good. The sweet burnt sugars and the smoky wood just don't seem to meld together so well as they do in the nose, although separately, they are interesting, to say the least. Maybe some very dark chocolate, or even some very roasted mocha showing up here. I think this guy could have stood some aging, and I plan to get another for that purpose. I would guess that with a few years, this could clean up extremely well.

M- Hot alcohol burn on the way down, otherwise a smooth milky treat that means business.

D- This is where it suffers. A little too much of everything without the nice Imperial balance. Again, I think aging would repair this.

I got no beef with Dragon's Milk that aging couldn't cure.

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

This offering pours a deep black leaving a soft tan head. Nose is sweet oak, caramel, chocolate, nuts, herbs, soft earthy notes. The taste is malty upfront, dry oak, nuts, cherry, tart, wonderful deep pitted fruit flavors great vanilla oaky notes as it hits your palate and the alcohol is there but smooth like a nice cordial. This is a great tasting beer very solid I would pair this with a fruit dessert as this would play well with the tart and sweet flavors of the beer.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company