Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,446 | Ratings: 5,489
4.87/5  rDev +22.7%

It comes in a 1 pint, 6 fluid ounce bottle. That's a total of 22 ounces for those of you that don't want to do the math themselves. It comes in a brown bottle with the name on it and the picture of a dragon over a barrel, very eye catching. There is also some informative writings about the beer on it.

The beer is a dark coffee color that light doesn't pass through. Very much like Guinness or Murphy's Irish Stout. When poured into the glass it forms a nice firm half-inch head tan in color. I've been drinking on this beer for 20 minutes and the residue of the head is still along the edge where the beer and glass meet.

The smell is heavenly. You can smell the oak of the barrel, a hint of bourbon and a hint of vanilla, coffee and malt. The smell itself was enough to make Ktreva want to take a sip, and she doesn't like dark beers. I don't think words can describe the taste, but that won't stop me from trying. The taste is like happiness. Roasted malts with a hint of vanilla and bourbon entice the tongue and mouth. There is a very slight bitterness to it that enhances the flavor. Even Ktreva liked the taste, and she doesn't like many beers. This is a beer to be savored and appreciated, not gulped down to get another. What is even more surprising is that it is High Gravity ale with 9% alcohol by volume. Tasting this beer you would not suspect that at all.

The texture in the mouth is very much like milk. It's extremely smooth and doesn't leave a bad aftertaste. It coats the mouth and throat as it easily passes by in a pleasant way.

I've never had a beer like this before. When I say it's unique, I truly mean it is a one of a kind. This is the type of beer that beer lovers hope to find, and then are disappointed, when after sampling it, they can't find it anymore. It is a bit pricey at $6.99 a bottle, but well worth the price. If you ever get a chance to sample one, you'd be a fool to pass it up. There are only a handful of beers that I've had the pleasure of tasting that goes into my, "Special guest" category, but this is one of them. If I know I'm going to have an avid beer drinker over, I'll make sure to have a couple of bottles of this fine elixir in the house. This would be the 30-year single malt of beers.

4.87/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a dark and beautiful stout - it's slightly sweet to taste with vanilla & wood. It's high alcohol content is a bit dangerous as it is a smooth drink

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

I picked this up at Whole Foods Market for about $7 just becuase of the name. How could i go wrong with Dragon's Milk? The bottle appeared different than the current pictured. It was black with a white dragon and barrel on the front, no date.
Poured smooth and creamy. The color is extremely deep brown with sienna highlights when held to the light. Small 1/2 inch head that left small amounts of slick residue.
I smell vanilla, oak and a hint of whiskey. Small amounts of each which when combined make an extremely interesting aroma. It took me a while to figure it out.
Taste was unbelievable. (GOOD) The oak barrel comes out fairly strong, hints of vanilla, whiskey, and cream. Don't be worried about the whiskey, it hints short and quick at the back of the throat and disappears. Quite an extraordinary flavor, unlike any other strong ale I've tried. Nothing like Arrogant Bastard or GLBC's Nosferatu. A class by itself IMHO.
I gave the feel and drinkability 5's because I could sip this all day or have it with my favorite smoke. It felt creamy smooth and leaves a nice taste.

Very good.

4.84/5  rDev +21.9%

There are few, if any, brews like New Holland Dragon's Milk. Inky black, with the smell of vanilla, oak, bourbon, and an alcohol burn. Creamy, bitey, bitter. Of all the barrel aged stouts I have had, this one brings the most powerful bourbon punch. Lots of roasted malt and bitter chocolate. The finish is like dry cedar.

Tons of complex, full flavors, and at 10% ABV, tons of alcohol.

An absolute gem!

4.84/5  rDev +21.9%

My go-to barrel aged stout. Bourbon tidal waves knock you on your ass and you let yourself get sucked in by the vanilla undertow, not caring if you drown in its boozy bliss. This is like the Black Sabbath of beers.

4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

Bought a 4-pack of 12 oz. bottles at Whole Foods in Arlington, VA. Bottled on 12/30/15. Poured into a tulip glass.

Look: Medium/dark brown with small medium-brown head that quickly dissipates.

Smell: Boozy, plum/raisin.

Taste: Sweet, chocolatey, boozy, vanilla, chocolate biscuit.

Feel: Medium plus carbonation. Thick and syrupy.

Overall: Very delicious. One of my favorite beers for sure.

4.82/5  rDev +21.4%

12oz bottle into Lost Abbey Tulip.

Dark and inviting, miminal head after a perfect pour good lacing.

S. Oak and peat, oak is strong and up front. It is oak barrell aged and the smell is expected.

T. Wonderful oak and roasted flavor come through hops there but I get more of the malt and an earthly flavor. Alcohol is there to tingle.

M. Full and rich, this is a barrell age stout and to me it taste spot on.

D. Very good. gets better as it warm a bit. Definitely a great beer this time of year and I will be buying more.

4.82/5  rDev +21.4%

I heard about this beer at the Blues and Brews festival in Akron last summer but by the time I got to the distributor they were just handing out the last one. I finally saw it in a store over the weekend and bought a couple. This beer is most excellent - probably moved into one of my top five faves so far. Creamy and delicious in a milky kind of way. The only mistake you can make with this beer is only leaving the store with 1.

4.81/5  rDev +21.2%

Dark pour with a nice oak and bourbon taste followed by a slight vanilla finish. Seriously strong beer, a new favorite. In Virginia a very hard beer to find but well worth the search!

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I absolutely love this beer! It is deep, dark and thick head. The touch of bourbon, grains and alcohol whip up an enticing aroma as you dive in for a taste. It's very drinkable with high ABV, yet smooth like milk!

4.79/5  rDev +20.7%

Appearance is dark, can't really see through it. Really thin tan head, roughly 1/4 of an inch.

Smells sweet, slight chocolate, and a little booze. Nice waft do bourbon hots the nose.

Taste is sweet, little fruity(raisins), some chocolate, light bitterness and a nice touch of bourbon.

Mouthfeel is nice. Slightly milky with light carbonation, coats your teeth but not too chewy.

Overall it was good, a definite favorite. It's unique and I'll drink it again.

4.79/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer looks and smells incredible.
The bourbon flavor comes out first and is strong, which is a good thing IMHO. Doesn't quite taste as good as it smells, but I can live with that.
Not quite as thick as some of the stouts I've had, but again, I can live with it.
Overall a wonderful beer that I don't have to stand in line for, and can find year round. Cheers.

4.79/5  rDev +20.7%

The light brown head dissapates quickly over the very dark brown with black highlighted body of the beer. Strong roasted smell wafts up, filling my nose, which doesn't leave over time drinking the beer. The taste has strong caramel notes, malty, with just enough hops and spice to balance the sweet taste. Hint of smoke flavor in it. I've had this beer resently at a festival, and it seemed there to be very young and the smoke/caramel/spice was out of balance, and had not been mellowed by the oak aging. The first time I tried it, my first impression was that it specifically lives up to it's name--it's what I would imagine dragon's milk to be--thick and a little smoke in it. An exceptional beer, even though I seem to be a little high compared to some of my fellow BAs, I drink this beer every chance I get. I'm rating the very excellent bottle I have tonight. I had the same sample at Michigan Brewers Guild as Derek, and it didn't match up to the bottle I had tonight in any way. However, the first sample I had of it at the Autumn Brew Review was spectacular in 2003. If there is a quality control issue as suggested by Malcontent, I hope NH can nail down the issue because the beer is well worth any effort to maintain it in the market. Looking at the review clicked in right after me, Westsidethreat did not drink the same beer I did at all. Too bad. It was great.

4.77/5  rDev +20.2%

A - Dark brown/black with ruby highlights and a very small tan head.

S - Bourbon, oak and a lot of vanilla. Some roasted malt. Slight hint of sourness but not as much as fresher bottles I have had (this one is about 6 months old I believe).

T - Bourbon, hints of charred oak and a lot of vanilla. Slight chocolate and roasted malt is hidden behind the vanilla. Slightly sour but again not as much as the fresher bottles.

M - Thin to moderate and really creamy. This one glides down your throat very smooth.

D - This one went straight from Sam's fridge to my fridge. The earlier bottles I have had of this had more of a sour presence that has been replaced by a bourbon/vanilla/oaky char. One of the better balanced bourbon beers I have had (coming from a big bourbon fan). I am definitely going to look for more of this year’s release.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Such a great stout. bought this back in September and put it in the cellar until last night when I put it in the fridge. opened it up tonight and man, this is what a bourbon barrel aged stout should taste like. Just enough bourbon to taste but not overwhelming. I only wish it poured a larger head. at 11% I'm already feeling it

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Wow, this is a good beer. (I would like to add now a caveat: I don't like this new review system) Anyway, to the main reason I am here. This beer has everything going for it in my opinion. However I would not drink more than one at a time.

Black as night, some caramel foamy head on top that dissipates after a few minutes. But never really goes away completely.

Smell: Chocolate, toffee, bourbon, vanilla, lots of deep dessert like aroma's coming from this one.

Taste: Here you go, this is where its at. Not too sweet, not too bitter, not too much of that coffee thing that tends to ruin this style of beer. It has a nice softness to it considering its a carbonated beer. I wonder how good this one would be on nitro? Like drinking a brownie with bourbon. This is just an awesome beer, one of the best I have had in a long time. I also purchased the chili pepper version. That is not something I would normally purchase, but since this one was so good I thought I would give it a try in the future.

Overall: If you have never tried this beer and you like stouts that are not too burnt tasting, not too much of that coffee thing. This I think is referred to a "milk stout", which is a style I am now just discovering, because honestly it was not something I would have normally tried. But, thanks to Beer Camp and the double latte for turning me on to this style.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Great beer with deep complexity. Overall pleased with the profile, though a thick brew. Dark and opaque pour with a frothy head. Definitely better for cold nights and slower sipper.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer deserves a higher score than 89. If you enjoy bourbon aged ales, you will adore this malt monster. Not for the weak of heart at 11%. It has an alcohol forward taste that does not mellow as it warms. A true work of art as far as my taste buds are concerned.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a stunning solid black that could deflect laser beams. The three finger tan head sinks to just a wee rim.

The aroma is bready and sweet with molasses and Snicker bar. In the background I pick up a coffee wiff that reminds me of drinking a black Russian.

The flavor is astounding with all of the above aroma notes mixed with a hint of vanilla and licorice.

The mouthfeel is smooth with little carbonation.

Overall I couldn't be more satisfied.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really enjoy the velvety creaminess of this stout. Hints of the bourbon from the barrel aging come through on the finish.

To take the tasting experience to a different level, I suggest pairing the beer with the New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon, aged in the barrels after the beer is bottled.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an amazing beer. Rich in flavor with full body. The beer is a substantial stout that could easily stand on its own. The bourbon adds to the richness and makes it very flavorful, but is not overbearing.

Almost gave it all 5's, but there /could/ be something better. Not sure how.

4.74/5  rDev +19.4%

This is one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. Pours to a dark brown, almost black, with a nice white head. Minimal lacing. Looks pretty much like your run-of-the-mill stout.

The smell, on the other hand, is amazingly complex. The bourbon barrel imparts such a wicked beautiful aroma and taste. Lots of vanilla and a mild bourbon dominate the nose, along with some chocolate, caramel, and toffee.

The taste is exceptionally smooth. I would never have guessed this beer was anything over 5%. I can taste a bit of sweet from lactose and oat, perhaps, as well as some caramel, chocolate and toffee. Of course, the vanilla and bourbon really help to smooth things out. Amazingly complex and yet still simple and mindblowing.

The body of this beer is thicker than anything else I remember trying. It's almost like drinking a malt milk shake. The texture is as smooth as velvet. and the finish seems a bit dry.

This is one of the best beers I've had in recent times. Amazingly complex, definitely not "over-done," and very deceivingly drinkable.

4.74/5  rDev +19.4%

Wow. I had this brew once on draft over a year ago and it really did nothing for me at the time but now, I'm blown away! This is a very, very tasty brew. Good job New Holland!

Pours a murky deep brown in color with a slight creamy head. Nose is outstanding, lots of depth and character going on here. Some nice strong vanilla notes going on here along with that characteristic wood barrel aged profile. Quite distinct. Also some dry sherry tones as well. Taste is quite similar, fairly explosive with the vanilla. There is an interesting boozy cherry cordial thing going on here as well. Incredibly appealing. Mouthfeel is medium and slightly buttery/milky but finishes fairly neutral.

One of the better beers I've had lately, I'm honestly very impressed. Good show!

Slàinte!

A: very very dark

S: bourbon, oak, coffee

T: oak, bourbon, and hint of coffee.

O: this is a beer that takes a few sips to get used to. Once it warms up a bit it's flavors really come out. I really enjoyed this beer. Let the beer warm up a bit after pouring it...then enjoy!

4.74/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Picked up a 4-pack for a reasonable price. Love the mouthfeel to this beer. Great malty stout. Love the bourbon taste to this and this version is much better in my opinion then the regular oak barrel stout they do. I would recommend this beer for anyone who loves a great stout! Cheers!

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company