Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,439 | Ratings: 5,440
4.73/5  rDev +19.1%

My first and (so far) only 5/5 beer. So I figured it would be a good one with which to start reviewing beer on this site.

Poured into a New Belgium snifter from a 12 fl. oz. bottle.

A - An opaque, deep dark brown that borders on pitch black. Very pleasant looking, creamy head, which disappears rather quickly but leaves a nice creamy surface.

S - Equal parts dark chocolate, malt and "typical" stout, I'd say. A pretty good indication of what's to come.

T - Dear god, this is magical! The strongest flavor is that of gloriously dark and bitter chocolate. I think I am getting a slight hint of coconut, as well, which fits in perfectly. The flavor from the bourbon barrel-aging gives this beer a very nice "woody," almost winey note, the malt mixes very well with the chocolate flavors. The finish slightly hints at both the bourbon and alcohol content, but the sweetness hides the ABV very well.

M - Just the right amount of carbonation, and a nice, full-bodied feel. Very satisfying!

O - I only started drinking stouts recently, but had I heard of this beer sooner, man I would have started much, much earlier! This is divine.

One bottle will last you quite a while, as it is best sipped slowly. I'd recommend drinking it slightly below room temperature. I enjoyed mine with a piece of buttered French bread, which was a fantastic combination.

At $17 for a 4-pack rather spendy, but without a doubt worth it. Best enjoyed on special occasions, and/or shared with a friend.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

4.73/5  rDev +19.1%

A: Malt sweetness. Dark fruit ... Prunes, dried cherries. Vanilla. Hints of caramel. A hint of roast, or toffee. Biscuity, perhaps. Alcohol, but blended pleasingly into the mix to make for a Port wine-like aroma. Clearly a wood aged beer. No hops. No diacetyl.
A: Very dark brown, nearly opaque with garnet hilites. Creamy, khaki head that masses reasonably well, and then slowly sibsides to a thin creamy film to cover the liquid and stick fleetingly to the glass. Swirl it and legs walk briskly down the glass.
F: As with the aroma, sweet up front with dried cherries, prunes, and alcohol warmth. Chocolate.The wood comes through in strong vanilla. A hint of caramel. Mild roast. Bitterness to keep the finish from being cloying. No burnt. No hop flavor. No diacetyl.
M: Full bodied and chewy, with just enough attenuation and carbonation zest to keep it from weighing too heavily on the tongue. Finishes nearly like a cognac.
I: This is a very big, complex beer and worth every penny my brother-in-law paid for it in the 22 oz bottling. However, I expected more assertive roast flavors in a stout, and then, as an American stout, more hop assertiveness. I don't think barrel aging changed anything in this regard and, therefore, considering the relative absence of roast and coffee, couple that to the prominent dark fruit and chocolate notes, and this beer tends more toward a Baltic porter in my mind. That said, I too can "drink fifteen Heinekens," but I've been enjoying this beer for nearly an hour. Rather than classify it, I recommend you buy it and enjoy it for what it is, a very good beer.

4.72/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Like this one a lot. Seems I'm an "outlier," so I need to elaborate. The bourbon flavor does make it a bit harsh, but that's balanced by a smooth creaminess that makes a great combination. The heartiness of the underlying stout itself is top notch as well, but I'm really not one to go into flowery descriptors so this will have to do.

4.72/5  rDev +18.9%

One of my local drinking buddies invited me over for an afternoon of tippling with him and his wife this past summer since she and I were both off work as teachers and he had a free afternoon. These are the results.

The pour resulted in a finger of deep-tan head that quickly faded to wisps. Color was a deep, dark-brown with ruby highlights and great clarity. Nose was rich with bourbon-vanilla notes. Zounds! Mouthfeel was rather creamy with notes of smoke, vanilla, wood and black cherry in the mouth. It put me in mind of Calvin's dad in "Calvin & Hobbes" asking, "Say, where did you get this [beer], anyway?" Finish was redolent with vanilla and bourbon. Absolutely breathtaking. Great lacing throughout. It was an attention-getting beer to be sure, but it also wrapped things up for us pretty quickly. Proceed with caution.

4.72/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I always try to rate my beer blind. Sometimes I'll re-rate (also blind) to compare. And damn this was tasty both times. The only thing that surprised me was the lack of lacing. At 11.00% this is one of my go-to's for the style now.

4.72/5  rDev +18.9%

I don't like whiskey/bourbon, and I thought that may be a problem with this ale, but NOT SO! Perhaps I don't taste it b/c I don't like those flavors?

Cola colored, brown w/red highlight, and a fizzy cola head that looks like it won't last, but leaves a slight film.

Oak is the predominant smell, reminds me of a lot of red wines, with a similarilly vinous note. Other sweet smells are almost undistinguishable under the oak.

OH Creamy vanilla oak sweet goodness! Totally blown aaway! Oak an vinous notes dominate, especiialy as it is colder, with tones of roast malt. More likea carbonated red wine with dark old ale flavors. The sweetness of dark fruit and picks up more as it warms, complementing the vanilla wonderfully. Alcohol is NOT noticed, which could be dangerous.

So smooth, so easy drinking! Dangerous indeed, get ready for a nap! Easilly the best Old Ale I've had, a unique and tasty treat that I can't wait to get again!

4.72/5  rDev +18.9%

A: Brown to black pour with a two fingered caramel head. Reduces to a creamy foam and leaves excellent lacing down the sides of the glass.

S: Oak and vanilla aroma with hints of alcohol and semi-sweet chocolate. Lots of roasted malts and caramel sweetness. Can't wait for this one.

T: The flavor is full of oak and vanilla. Roasted malts and an almost cola-ish flavor. Has an oak-y/alcohol finish that pleasantly lingers.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Dry finish.

O: Dangerously smooth for 10% ABV. I'm a sucker for anything oak aged, or anything vanilla. Pair the two together and I'm in beer heaven.

4.71/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow! This is a fantastic beer!

Look - Poured with a nice khaki head that quickly went away.

Smell - Exactly how a bourbon barrel aged stout should smell...bourbon, vanilla, slight booze, the stout, deliciousness, etc.

Taste - Rich, smooth, bourbon, but mostly the vanilla, with a hint of the booze. I'm having a hard time just sipping this, which at 10%, is a worthy struggle.

I highly recommend this beer!

4.71/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful richly dark appearance. Robust collar, which collapses leaving a nice lacing on the glass. Bourbon barrel aging and a strong vanilla accent are very accomodating. An under rated beer to my taste. Recommend that you try one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very Guinness-esque in the plastic cup it was served in. Good layer of foam and lacing. Very opaque and thick. Coffee-like.

Smell: Burnt vanilla and oak mixed into coffee. Very strong. I was on the fence with rating this as good or very good. Considering I've smelled similar beers before that I thought were good, and since I like this better, I boost this up a bit.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Incredibly mix here. There are different complex layers of dark fruit, coffee, and burnt vanilla with some spices. Initially I get the burnt vanilla. Then, coffee and chocolate, followed by the fruit. I also detect fine balsamic vinegar. What makes this truly special is the heavy and smoke overtones of oak bring everything together and persist throughout. Very versatile use of the oak barrel in my opinion that also creates a smoky, tingly, tobacco-like mouthfeel.

Overall Drinkability: One of the finest American stouts. I'm suprised this isn't rated higher or more well known.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I wish I was a dragon.

A: Very rich dark brown to black. A tan fine head developed upon pouring.

S: The aroma was vanilla, cinnamon and a pleasant whiskey barrel booze.

T: The flavor is chocolate, coffee, and smoke initially with the whiskey and vanilla coming in on the backside. Lightly sweet yet with a somewhat dry and hoppy finish.

M: A mild and easy drinking mouthfeel.

D: Excellent winter beer.

Dragon's Milk (2010)
New Holland Brewing Co.
A.V.B.=10.0%
Price: $13.95 / 4 pk.
Overall Rating: [4.5 out of 5]

Appearance: A dark and syrupy pour. Looks like a roiling boil as it fills the glass. Completely opaque, with the appearance of REALLY dirty motor oil. The only way you'll get light through it is when you tipping you glass to the sky! 1 Finger's worth of a tight head of tannish-ruby color. [4 out of 5]

Smell: Strong and malty. Chocolate, smoke (oak), and vanilla really come out of this one. Nice sweet smell. You can tell there's a significant ABV. [4 out of 5]

Taste: Uber dark chocolate taste. Fantastically sweet with just the right amount of maltiness. There is a presence of bourbon (oak barrels), but it doesn't assault the taste buds as much as a Founders KBS, or Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout. For as significant as the vanilla aroma is, I'm not getting nearly as much vanilla as I had expected (and hoped for!). Stronger flavors just simply overpower it, I think. The taste coats for a few seconds, but the bitterness hangs for the duration of the glass. [5 out of 5]

Mouthfeel: Being a HUGE fan of thick, syrupy stouts, this one is right up there with Founders Breakfast Stout, and Great Divide's Yetti. This is the type of beer that you "take a pull from", instead of sip or drink. The full bodied feel as you pull it into your mouth is quite satisfying. Just the right amount of carbonation meets your tongue and bubbles accompany your "pull" all the way down. A quick swish before swallowing swells it into a frothy beast that coats all the way down. (Stop it, you're a pervert!) [5 out of 5]

Drinkability: (Yes, that was a word before Budwiser snatched it for a marketing ploy). I knew when I poured a glass of what looked like motor oil that I was in love. If you're a fan of the dark side, the bittersweet nature of this beer is sure to please. The high ABV and full bodied nature of this beer makes it a perfect choice to sip during conversation, movies, or as I prefer, while editing video. If you like the darkest of the dark, give this a try. You probably ought to keep it to just one or two at a time, though! [5 out of 5]

4.69/5  rDev +18.1%

poured from dozens of 12 oz and 22 oz bottles over the years.

A- pours a pretty charred mahogany w/ minimal tan head

S- boozy whiskey, vanilla, brown sugar, hint of chocolate

T- rum raisin, boozy charry whiskey, vanillin/oak/lignin, brown sugar/molasses, hint of coffee, coconut (yes coconut)

MF- silky smooth, virtually no carbonation, body seems very light in contrast to such a dominating flavor profile

O- deadly delicious, surprisingly drinkable

years ago we noticed that each batch was a little different but in recent years it has become very consistent and now leans towards a preferred sweetness. we also noticed the 9% ABV printed on the bottle a few years ago couldn't possibly be correct, and even the 10% that's currently listed seems suspiciously low. regardless, watch out because this goes down surprisingly quickly. absolutely do NOT make the mistake of drinking 2 bombers in a night...
of note: when paired w/ dessert this revealed a hop presence that actually served to cleanse the palate very nicely. very surprising level of complexity in something that otherwise seems so one-dimensional (yet delicious)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company. Bottled on 10/22/15. Poured from the bottle into a snifter, the head is two fingers thick accompanied by a nice tan/khaki hue, with lateral lacing, and an extreme dark brown /black body.

I smell a pleasant, "do-able" amount of the bourbon notes upfront that morph into a roasted malt metropolis laden with structures of coffee, chocolate, toffee, and dark fruits like plums, raisins, and figs.

Tastes like a smooth, subtle bourbon note backed up with a very delicious chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. Yes indeed, that bourbon is not booze bombing the rest of this beer' other elements. I'm almost leaning in the direction that it's almost got an "Irish coffee" thing going on here as well. Interesting...

The mouthfeel here is heavier with mild carboation. I rated this so high due to a virtually unnoticeable alcohol warmth combined with the bourbon notes' masterful use restraint to allow the other complexities stand out and be noticed.

Overall, I'll give Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company a 4.75. I really wish more BBA stouts would have this near-perfect (still have to find my "5er") amount concerning the use of the bourbon flavoring.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Poured into a snifter. Black, with about one finger of head. No light shines through.

Smell: Sweet oaky scent of bourbon, vanilla, malts, some chocolate.

Taste: Bourbon, oak/wood, chocolate, vanilla. The barrel aged flavor is just right. Not too strong. Just enough to give you hints of bourbon and oak without being overkill.

Feel: Very full bodied, and chewy.

Overall: Love this beer! Have had it many times. Glad to finally review it!.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A dang good beer overall! Just had it for the first time, purchased at a Giant Eagle in a 22oz bottle, purchased last month just poured April 1.

A - can you say black? Very black, no see through light with this beer. Just plain out black.. looks deep and strong with a very minimal head and good lacing.

S - sweet and divine. Almost like dark dark fudge chocolate brownies with a hint of bourbon and a lot of vanilla. Yum

T - follows the smell with more chocolate than vanilla or Bourbon. Although they are still present. Semi sweet but not overly sweet at all. Has some nice tones of vanilla and Bourbon going on here

M - heavy and not light or soapy at all. Nice and you can taste this for about 5 mins after your last drink. Nice mouth feel.

O - awesome, one of the best stouts in a long time I've tasted. Overall 4.75, near perfect . Also tastes minimally boozy for being 11% alcohol.
( this particular stout varys from batch to batch) I luckily managed to snag the 11% alcohol batch woohoo ;)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- thick, oily and nearly jet black in appearance, with thing tan head the dissipated pretty quickly.

S- sweet caramel and coffee scent. The bourbon/alcohol smell is fairly discrete.

T- the caramel scent gives way to a big mouthful of vanilla flavor. It is by far the most prevalent tasting note here and it is delicious. It is followed by coffee and oak and finishes with a taste of bourbon and caramel as it goes down. There is minimal alcohol burn. It's incredible.

M- this is a thick beer. There is slight carbonation, but otherwise it is fairly smooth. Most definitely a sipping beer.

O- after being fairly let down by the (in my opinion) overhyped Brooklyn Black Ops, this bourbon barrel stout blew me away. Smooth and delicious with just the right amount of vanilla. It seems the bourbon aged brews are having quite a moment. I see news ones every time I go to my local beer shop. This one to me, though, will definitely be one I'll pick up whenever I come across it.

4.67/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours out a super-dark chocolate brown color, with a head of toasted light gold/tan. The head scatters to form a crown in less than a minute, and tiny pinprick-like lace dots are left on the glass.

Aroma offers wonderful warming tones of wood and vanilla, and maybe not much else, although a treacle sweetness enters, most likely the hyped-up malts a-talkin'. I'm just digging the vanilla and wood, it's very nice.

I LOVE THIS. I took a good 10 minutes to just sit and ponder several sips, and I think there is exceptional flavor happening here. Not even the most complex, maybe, but it's wonderful stuff. I think of honey (especially the candy Bit O' Honey), graham crackers (put 'em together and you get Golden Grahams), vanilla, oak, sherry-soaked raisins and grapes, toffee, treacle, citrus-prickly hops, and cloves. Even with all that, the word that comes to mind is "mellow"...and a very good mellow, at that.

Smooth, slick, round, gentle, silky...caresses the tongue and delivers just a touch of carbonation sizzle. Really nice in this department as well.

It's the 2010 vintage, so I'll bet it gets even better in a year. The ABV is listed as 10% on the bottle (not 9) and the label itself calls this a stout. It drinks more like an American strong ale, but who cares what it's called. This is pure magnificence in liquid form. If there was no other way to get this than to suck on a dragon's tit, I'd probably do it. I'd think about it, anyway.

Nah, I'd do it.

4.67/5  rDev +17.6%

22 oz. bomber bottle that was nicely silk screened with a picture of a big oak reclaimed Bourbon barrel and a black dragon with three spikes at the end of his tail in front of the barrel. On the right side of the bottle is the Govt. warning and New Holland's symbol, a windmill. Left of the picture and towards the back of bottle is 3 nicely worded paragraphs that tells you all about this beer you're holding in your hand. In simpler terms they you tell you that this is their Crown Jewel, it's barrel aged in Bourbon barrels, and the taste is very complex. Hopefully they can back up those words with this beer!

Appearance: When poured into a Snifter, the beer was pitch black with little light shining through it. I held it up to the light and everything, very little light was even remotely shining through this beer. Although the color was very nice, the head of foam was disappointing. All I got was just a medium sized skim of tan colored foam and that dissipated into a tiny amount of rings and barely any lace at all around the glass.

Smell: This is one beer I didn't need to swirl around the glass for an hour to get the slightest hint of anything out of it, the aroma was just there. The aroma was that of dark roasted malt, coffee, molasses, sweet caramel, hint of dark fruits, and plenty of oak in the background.

Taste: I was hoping that this beers taste wasn't going to be as disappointing as New Holland's other high gravity series beer Blue Goat. I'll tell you they were right when they said on the bottle that it was a complex ale. The flavors in this were just great! In it had the flavors of coffee, dark roasted malt, sweet caramel, molasses, hint of chocolate and some oak in the background. There was at the end just the slightest trace of alcohol. This is one of their high gravity series that was "high" in flavor. Excellent!

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick, and with an aftertaste of dark roasted malt and alcohol. The alcohol was like the Dragon on the label, it didn't bother to hide in the barrel, it was just there. I know it sounds stupid, but after drinking more than half the bottle it makes sense. :-)

Drinkability: I know some of the reviews of this beer were bad, which means I got a good bottle of this. The one I had was at the peak of it's excellence. If most of the bottles were of this quality, I would defiantly buy again!!! They clearly backed up their words on the bottle!!! I can now understand why this is their Crown Jewel.

4.67/5  rDev +17.6%

Brewed with Premium 2-row, Cara 45, Munich malts. Honey, de-bittered Black Belgian candy sugar. Nugget and Willamette hops.
OG=18.1P, 8.0% ABV, 87.4 IBU.

Opaque dark-brown with dark amber highlights, forming a small, but sticky dark-tan head of fine bubbles. Carbonation is very mild. Retention is poor and lacing is good. Aroma begins with rather mild resinous hops, pronounced pineapple, a wholesome sweet chocolate undercurrent, and distant sweet Munich grain husk. Rolling the brew in my goblet glass produces the aroma of vanilla beans. Mouthfeel is silken and syrupy with a medium-dense body. Taste begins with a surprising and very pronounced milk chocolate character, similar to Rogue Chocolate Stout, followed by vanilla bean, husken malt, mild herbal and earthy hops, a brief whiff of alcohol, and a lingering, semi-astringent syrupy finish with suggestions of oak. Alcohol is mildly perceptable, and becomes slightly more apparent as it warms. The bourbon and oak character is most pronounced in the finish, but it is relatively mild. The aging in oak barrels has imparted noticeable characteristics in the mouthfeel and carbonation level. Cleanly fermented.

Considering the mild, yet immediate pinous hop aroma, I was pleasantly surprised that this was not your typical overhopped barleywine. This is amazingly well-balanced, rich with subtle complexities, very smooth, and most importantly, easy to drink. Another winner from the alchemists at New Holland!

2004 Edition-(10% ABV, 32 IBU per the website, which doesn't make Zymurgical sense) Comparing this to last years, this aroma is much richer with milk chocolate...the resinous hops are not at all evident...lots of vanilla and mild bourbon character. Vanilla is hugely evident with winey oak character in the late nose. Mouthfeel is very smooth with mild carbonation. Silken with a medium-dense, syrupy body. Wonderful stuff. Taste is out of this world...lots of milk chocolate, mild roasted malts, syrupy malt body in counterpoint with tons of vanilla and a late oakiness with moderate woody astringency. Bitterness is mild but nicely balanced with lingering notes of bourbon in the finish. Great stuff, I think better than last years batch. Alcohol is never intrusive but sometimes evident in warmth only.

Upon re-review 02-23-05, I am picking up distinct sourness...the chocolate is nearly all gone, and the silken mouthfeel is now aceticly harsh. Gobble your stores up now, it's quickly depreciating with age. Those oak barrels must have added some lacto or something that is going crazy in the bottles.

4.67/5  rDev +17.6%

I've had this in bottles many times so I decided to try a half barrel of it at home.

Appearance: Very dark brown, perhaps mahogany if you look through it at a light. Nice creamy head, lots of lacing, probably more than I remember from bottled versions.

Nose: The first few glasses out of the keg are unbelievably good. Chocolate, woody, toffee, some vanilla and bourbon. Sweet, caramelized sugar. Some of the alcohol is there when it warms up a bit.

Taste: Mirrors the nose, but even more complex. Smooth, bourbon flavors up front. Then some vanilla and maltyness. Finish is chocolate goodness.

Mouthfeel: Lower carbonation, but I was also using 85% N2/15% CO2. The partial pressure CO2 was probably a bit off, but frankly I enjoyed it anyway. About the same bite as the bottle has, so it couldn't have been too far off. Medium body, very creamy.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Just remember to stand up once in a while and take stock of your facilities before you get in trouble.

4.66/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This stuff is strong and you probably aren't going to drink too many of them but they are fantastic. If I had one complaint about Dragons Milk it would be that there is (at least for me) a bitter alcohol aftertaste.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - poured a thick black motor oil consistency with a slight light tan head that wasn't long for this world. Spotty lacing was a welcome surprise for such a high gravity beer.

S - ridiculous amount if intensity to the aroma. I just drank/reviewed a sebago slick nick and struggled to put words to what I was smelling on the nose, this on the other hand is very distinct. Smells like a delicious roasty sweet RIS dripping over a slab of oak that has been aging whiskey for a decade. On top of that someone drizzled some chocolate and chucked on a few vanilla beans for good measure.

T - taste matches the nose, but much more smooth. All the flavors of black malt, roastedness, chocolate, vanilla, and whiskey meld into one sweet smooth amalgam of deliciousness. I've let this age for only half a year and am surprised at how well the flavors have come together, the alcohol is not even present.

M - thick syrupy under carbed, sweet. Nothing u wouldn't expect for the style.

O - this beer is great, no distro in maine yet for this brewery and it's sad. Very smooth and well balanced for a BBA stout and the lack of any alcohol aroma or taste is welcomed. Very refined, would certainly grab this again if I come across it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This rivals KBS in my opinion. Maybe not quite as good, but you can get this year round and not deal with all the hype. You can even get growlers to go.

Pours dark - essentially black with a tan head. Roast aroma and bourbon dominate. The flavor is roasted malt, hints of toffee/caramel, and chocolate (similar to KBS just without the strong coffee note). Mouthfeel is thick, but not as heavy as KBS - I would actually prefer it thicker.

4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

Just found a 12 oz four-pack of this at Woodlake-Kohler, after experiencing a Bourbon Stout in small glasses at Central Waters Brewery in Amherst Wisconsin, which I was not permitted to buy a growler of. (I settled for their Coffee Stout, which is also excellent.) Dragon's Stout is comparable. Delicious, full-bodied. Outrageously expensive, perhaps, but comparable to that on draft at Central Waters. The 10% alcohol content is shocking for a stout, which one expects to be low-alcohol and low calorie.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company