Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2016 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,483 | Ratings: 5,644
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a solid, year round barrel aged stout at a very decent price point. This is a 2014 bottle for review. Pours a deep dark motor oil color with full body and a generous tan head. Plenty of milk chocolate and sweet notes here with a lick of vanilla ice cream. Thick but not syrupy. Balanced well and not overwhelming on the bourbon notes.

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversize wine glass. 2012 vintage.

A- Pours a deep brown, translucent body with cherry highlights. The head is about 1" and light mocha in color, reducing to a ring of foam and leaving little lacing.

S- The bourbon character takes the front seat here, the aroma is sweet french vanilla, maple syrup, dark fruits, and toffee. Dessert-like.

T- Upfront I get big milk chocolate and vanilla notes. The follow through is sweet like a mocha milkshake with roasty, coffee-like flavors. The finish is smooth with a slight bitter, roasty character. No alcohol detected which is impressive for 10%. Very nice balance.

M- Slightly thin but highly drinkable. Slightly overcarbonated for a BA imperial stout.

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer and I feel that it is underrated. It's quite sweet which may be cloying to some people, but other than that I think it's half a notch under the big name barrel aged stouts.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Deep ruby, burned carmel, aged bourdon

S - bourbon, bourbon, bourbon, and oak. Man alive this smelled good.

T - bourbon with oak and malt. Is that a bad thing?

M - not as heavy as I expected, but rather perfect for the intensity of the flavor.

D - couldn't have more than a few but I'd like to try!

From a large bottle.

Pours a dark chocolate black with minimal tan lacing. Glows a deep mahogany when held to light.

Smells of rich brown sugars and sweet dark fruits, particularly figs.

Tastes similar as well as alcohol tart. Only the slightest hint of smokiness on the tail end, but it is clearly oakey in that regard.

Pretty even body, with tingly and thin carbonation.

Not what I was expecting but I really enjoy it. I wish the feel was a little fuller, but other than that a very pleasant experience.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured violently into a tulip. 2013 vintage.

A- Black and thick ale with a lighter off white semi fluffy head. The contrast between the blackness of the liquid and the light head is very interesting being this is a bourbon barrel conditioned stout.

S- The nose is quite sweet with hints of sweet coffee and chocolate, slight vanilla and whiskey tease.

T- There's the bourbon! Bourbon is actually quite delicately integrated into the largely coffee and chocolate overtones thrown at me in the nose. Big in roasted, blackened malt with a punch of whiskey!

M- Very light in carbonation. Mouthfeel of about a 0.5% milk, medium bodied. Appearance wise, I would expect something a little bigger feel in the mouth but since this is a relatively young stout in a bottle I am anxious to see how it ages.

O- Great stout for May 12th when it's in the 40's! It's been a while since I have had this stout and I remember it being sweeter, almost too sweet, but this vintage is very nice and well balanced with the bourbon presence balancing out the sweet malt. As stated earlier, I can't wait for next winter to drink this and see how it matures in the bottle. Cheers.

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%

This is true. This is no American Strong Ale, but I have seen it listed as some type of English Strong Ale. Anyway, it is some type of Imperial Stout in my estimation. Nonetheless, this is an outstanding beer. Scents of deep chocolate, cherries, robust coffee shine through. Tastes similar, very light and unique. Heavy ABV not well detected. An a great looking opaque beer. I did not see a large foamy head, but it still is worth pouring and looking at. A nice well rounded nightcap, brew!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this on a trip to NJ...

A: Very unique color. Deep grape purple with a small off-white head that fades quickly. Interesting.

S: Smells super smooth. Sweet buttery bourbon, silky vanilla, and sweet milky malts upfront. Candi sugars in the middle with slight sweet fruit on the backend.

T: Wow, this is great. Sweet sticky bourbon upfront blended with milk chocolate, vanilla, and buttery cream upfront. Sweet sugar in the middle with hints of dark fruit on the backend. Very reminiscent of Bourbon County Stout.

M: Good carbonation feel. Very good.

D: Goes down a little heavier from the booziness flavor.

All in all, this one definitely took me by surprise. Bourbon County is one of my favorite beers, and this brew reminds me so much of it in many ways. If you like a good bourbon flavored beer, then you will love this brew. If you don't like em thick, then avoid this.

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%

This is an awesome beer. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 160oz glass. Comes our black with a minimal tan head and a little carbonation. The aroma is a bourbon and chocolate with little hints of vanilla. The taste is great. As soon as it hits your mouth you get a chocolate/vanilla mix. The back end is mostly bourbon. It's the perfect combination. The beer is not too thin or thick. It's just right. I actually prefer this beer over KBS.

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A- Dark. From a distance looked like motor oil sitting in a glass. Tints of reddish brown colors were produced when light hit the glass. There was a half fingers worth of cream colored head that reduced to a thin ring as the beer was consumed.

S- Pleasant, but simple. Notes of cocoa and coffee beans were present. Hard to deduce much else.

T- Much more complex taste than the aroma led to believe. Definitely can pick out flavors of coffee beans and cocoa. Really enjoyed the oak finish as it brought out strong vanilla flavors. The only knock I have on this beer is that there was nothing that stood out. While there was a complex mix, they were all blended together in subtlety.

M- Medium bodied with some carbonation. Left a clean crisp finish. Left the palate somewhat dry after consumption.

D- Delicious flavors make this highly drinkable. The 9% abv was hard to detect until the slight burn in the chest kicked in.

Overall, a must try. The fact that I can't get over is that it is such a complex beer, yet the flavors are so equal in part that there isn't a distinct taste. If only some of the flavors were more pronounced...

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look-Pours a very dark color.(basically black) The head is very small and sticks to the sides for the most part, a nice burnt/tanish color. Very nice appearance.

Smell-I immediately get the smell of bourbon(that boozy zingy aroma you get from bourbon), and I can also smell a slight sweet scent of vanilla and chocolate. I can definitely smell that bourbon though.

Taste-Very robust. Just like bourbon this beer is meant to be sipped on. I can taste notes of vanilla and chocolate. The flavor of bourbon is pretty present as well. The three flavors I get really do complement each other. The flavor is very complex and again robust.

Feel-Its thick, but not too thick. I go back and forth on the carbonation, some sips are carbonated and others aren't.

Overall-I got this beer from a good friend of mine who is quite the beer connoisseur, and so if he thinks it's good it most likely is good. With that being said, I am no stout expert. But what I do know is this beer is very special. It has the most complex flavor of any imperial stout I have tried. I have to say, I'm surprised it doesn't have a higher score. It was a delicious beer and a real treat to have.
One thing though, don't drink more than two of these beers... This beer will surely put you on your ass.

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a bottle into my Founders snifter. Bottled was chilled to 35 degree F, just like I like my booze.

Pour: looks great. Nice, black, small tanish head that quickly fades into a small frothy crown then to nothingness.

Smell: much like I was anticipating. Bourbon, slight coffee and chocolate. Smells great! I really like the smell!

Taste: wow! Bourbon up front, getting some booziness (I like it), getting some vanilla, chocolate, and some coffee. Not a lot though. Mainly bourbon. It's good! I have to say a lot better than I was expecting.

Overall: I'd buy again. It's really good! Not quite the best bourbon barrel beer I've had, but by far the easiest to find and cheaper than the limited releases. If you can find this, buy it. It's a good bourbon barrel stout. Don't expect it to be a BCBS. It's a bit thinner, and a touch less refined, but a solid beer.

Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pitch black with an off white head that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Smells sweet and robust with a generous helping of oak and bourbon. Taste is sweet roastinesss and the oak bourbon barrel. Very silky and smooth. Wish I could get more of this! Definitely worth a try and highly recommend it.

4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured a very nice deep brown with a very light tan head that faded somewhat quickly. Lacing does linger down the side of the glass as I'm drinking this one.

Smells warm with some chocolate, toffee and caramel notes. Alcohol is also present very lightly in the nose.

The taste I am loving. Up front the alcohol hits very slightly followed immediately by a delicious vanilla flavor. Roasted malts and chocolate are also present but that sweet, sugary vanilla is the most prevalent of all the flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium to thick with a slightly creamy feel overall. Definitely smooth going down.

Drinkability on this one is pretty high. 8.5% isn't too outrageous and nothing about this beer makes me think I wouldn't want to have another as soon as I'm finished with this one.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a very deep brown color with a small off-white head that settles into a light ring. The aroma is of oak and vanilla, quite pronounced. There seems to be a bourbon aroma but not sure if it was actually aged in bourbon barrels. There is some caramel sweetness with boozed soaked raisins and cherries. The taste is big on vanilla and oak with caramel and hints of chocolate. The bourbon is also there in the flavor but not as strong. Perhaps it is the strong vanilla that is making me think it was aged in bourbon barrels. Whatever. The flavors are smooth and are in balance. Some fruit notes pop through in the end. Some boozy dark fruit (raisins) as well as some tart flavors. The feel is moderate, not at all heavy, with soft carbonation, smooth, perhaps a touch sticky. Sweet overall on the palate. Slight slight ABV belly burn. Quite a nice brew, very enjoyable. Smooth as hell and great vanilla flavor without being cloying whatsoever. Pick it up.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%

bomber into nonic, the bottle i got was silk screened with white label and does not match the picture as of the time posted

A: Nearly black, small amount of light penetrates and shows brown coloration, tiny brown head, one finger max

S: malted milk balls and the oak is very clear, vanilla and chocolate, yum!

T: chocolate milk-like with strong vanilla and alcohol on the finish. bitterness comes in last. for 9%, the alcohol is kept in check quite well

M: Smooth but not so smooth that it makes it actually seem like chocolate milk, good level of carbonation to clean the palatte.

D: ABV is the only kicker but this is a staple of my fridge.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%

Aggressive pour yielded a tan two-finger head and jet-black body. Smells of dark, smoky, and chocolate malts. Very smooth, and tastes of chocolate, vanilla and oak with heavy bourbon notes. Feels creamy and smooth, with a significant amount of alcohol warmth.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%

I sampled this at the Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Fest.

A: Cola coloured with an off-white/tan head, very little retention or lace.

S: Alcohol (port?), jaggery & brown sugar (hint's of molases).

T: Chocolate, raisin, malty bread, nut, great bittersweet balance, alcohol is pleasant (not overly assertive).

M: Well attenuated, moderate body is creamy. Carbonation is moderate.

D: Very good. This was one of my favourites at the fest.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

L: Very dark with a small amount of tan head. Small amount of lacing as well.
S: Can smell the barrel straight away. Sweet smell but not sugary.
T: Very nice taste. Bourbon and heat but not offensive or overpowering. Sweet taste as well.
F: Smooth in the mouth warm going down.
O: Have had a few of these and is one of my favorite Bourbon barrel stouts. Is fairly easy to find which makes it a nice pick up.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Dark mahogany color, little in the way of a head and what forms doesn't keep.

Aroma: Caramel , chocolate and lots of vanilla. You can really smell the sweetness.

Taste: Slight phenol notes followed by rich chocolate and oak. his is followed by a strong vanilla aftertaste. This is one of the only beers I've had whose characteristics changed this much.

Mouthfeel: Light velvety with not a lot of carbonation.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from growler procured earlier in the day into a 16 oz tulip. Pour yielded nice fluffy 3 finger tan head. Compressed down to a tight foam pooling across the top, nice lacing throughout the whole glass. This puppies dark, holding up to the light and nothing getting thru there. Smells of bourbon, vanilla and roasted malt. Like putting this up to my nose. Taste of well bourbon in a nice way. Some roasted malt coming thru with some residual sweetness on the back end. Hides it's 11% quite well. The mouthfeel on this beer is a joy, it is very smooth. I have seen where some think it is a little thin, but I think it is appropriate. If I could get my hands on this, it would be in my fridge year around. Shout out to local HEB for getting a keg of this.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a glass into a standard shaker pint glass.

L: Pours a beautiful midnight black with only a hint of brown when held in the light. Minimal head--the same as most other porters--with a bit of lingering lace.

S: Overwhelmingly bourbon, but not too much. There is actually more bourbon on the nose than on the tongue. Bittersweet chocolates, too.

T: Wonderful taste--but probably the weakest point of this otherwise incredible beer. A hint of bourbon, but not as much as I expected. Sweet, creamy vanilla finish, but I also got a strange metallic-y taste in the first couple of swallows.

F: Full body with a pleasant, lingering aftertaste. Not as heavy as I prefer my stouts and porters to be--a little syrupy.

O: This just became one of my favorite beers (although my wallet whined a little). But the 11% ABV ensures that I won't be drinking many in one session. Well done, New Holland! Well done!

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 version
Pours almost black into a tulip glass. Tan head with good lacing.
Aroma is light. Some roasted malt.
Taste is slight bourbon, with roast malts, vanilla and dark fruit. Very nicely balanced. Not harsh. Alcohol is well hidden. Slightly sweet.
Mouthfeel is good with nice carbonation.
Overall, I really like this one. It has good balance with all the right flavors. This is a good cold weather sipper that is (luckily) available all year.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%

Fond of this one & already had it several times, including fresh on tap at the brewery. Also introduced a friend to it, & this was the first bomber he ever bought.

Black, with only a tiny little ring of white. Smell is always a highlight; dark malts & vanilla rising, with a sliver of wood.

Dragon's Milk taste follows that forumla closely. Big, dark, roasted malts come skulking out of the pint glass, followed by a collection of lesser impressions: vanilla, oak, chocolate, with only the hint of the barrel coming out at the end. Full, rich, satisfying, & very easy to quaff for a 9% brew.

Excellent beer, as always. A readily available barrel-aged brew that's easy to get & not priced to heart-attack levels? Sign me up. I should be drinking this one more often. Tip o' the cap to New Holland once again.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%

I will forewarn with saying I am a sucker for a strong barrel presence.

Pours black with lots of rose hue. Tan head that fades pretty quick but after all this beer is 10%.

The smell is great. Bourbon, vanilla, raisins, and other dark fruits.

The taste is pretty much purely from the oak. A ton of vanilla with a slight dash of alcohol. Roasty wood on the front with a lingering almost campfire smores taste on the back.

I got this one in a trade and please send me another!

2011 vintage 22oz bottle poured into snifter glass

Appearance: I would call this very dark brown just flirting with all out black in color. In fact I think this is as dark as brown can get without being black. No light penetrates when held to the light, however it does become a touch lighter brown when backlit. There was no head formation for me and there is a very fine collar around the edge of the glass. No lacing at all.

Smell: Now this is where its at! Reminiscent of BCBS for me although milder. I get big bourbon, huge vanilla, roasted notes, coffee, and chocolate. There is a noticable alcohol presence and huge oak notes. I could smell this all day long.

Taste: An absolute huge bourbon vanilla bomb! Follows the nose with above noted roasted, coffee and chocolate and oak. Up front the mouth is introduced to the bourbon and vanilla followed by the others already stated. Alcohol is evident but not in a distracting sort of way. Everything is just in perfect balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full and oh so creamy! A bit light for a big barrel aged stout but seems to work for this one. I tend to want this style to be more on the chewy side but for this beer the feel does seem spot on and I can honestly say I wouldn't want it be any different.

Overall: My friend has been on me to try this one and I finally got it into a glass. I have to say I am extremely impressed by this beer. An absolute steal at $8 a bomber and so easy off the shelf that it makes me smile. I will be picking this up more often for sure!

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company