Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2016 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Ratings: 5,896 |  Reviews: 1,540
2.38/5  rDev -40.9%

I had been anticipating this one for a while, finally got to try some on tap. My local tappery called this one a "American Strong Ale"; I think American Stout - as classified here - is a closer category. Definitely not enough hop backbone to balance out the overbearing sweetness of this brew.

The color is fine - a dark, opaque, stout-ish brown.
By the aroma alone you can already tell this is going to be one sweet beer - literally, sweet. The taste is not bad and somewhat interesting on first sip; tons of malt, caramel, sticky sweetness - but as you may have gathered from my tone, this sticky sweetness quickly caught up with me and left me reaching for water, not enthused about finishing the glass.

I guess this could classify best as a "dessert beer", served in small quantities when you want overly-sweet, imbalanced beer, but otherwise, I'd avoid it.

2.45/5  rDev -39.2%

STRONG whiskey flavors, somewhat unbalanced. It seems to me that they loaded the beer with whiskey just to get to an 11% ABV. This is a sipping beer for me. Does not go well with a meal in my opinion.

2.47/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I normally love coffee stouts. This one tastes like bourbon was added straight to it rather than aged in the barrel. Way to strong of a bourbon taste. Sorry, this one fails.

2.47/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Just didn't appeal to me.

2.48/5  rDev -38.5%

My first impression of this beer was great. It had a unique smell...very full and some hints of vanilla.

The color was dark brown with a tan head that disipated quickly.

My first taste was like "Wow! This is a great beer!"

And then I had a few more sips and it became very hard to drink.

The flavor is so full and sweet that I had a hard time drinking another. It really does have a syrupy taste to it.

I picked up a 4-pack of bottles and I found myself choking down the last three. It's just too much. Too filling, too thick. Overall, it's hard to drink. The taste really isn't that horrible...it actually has a unique and rather pleasant flavor...but it doesn't sit well with me.

It's worth trying for sure. The first few sips were great.

2.5/5  rDev -38%

New Holland Dragon’s Milk: from a bottle. Pours a deep, almost impenetrable brown/black. Not much head, what it had was off white, and left a thick coating down the sides. The aroma is sweet, and although, its probably just the name, smells like a chocolate milkshake.

The first sip, and damn, this was not what I expected, it is extremely thick/creamy and smooth, taste’s very much like bailey’s and coffee, except even more sweet and almost cloying. Really unusual tasting beer, there is a definite smokiness to this brew as well. I can’t say I like this beer, and then after much consideration, I realized why: this beer is very similar in smell and taste to Ensure, the protein drink. The bottle notes that the alcohol level is 10%, but its hard to note. Cripes, I can tell this is well made, but I’ll have to choke down at least half of the bottle.

2.51/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

2.51/5  rDev -37.7%

appearance - Black garnet with little head. Normal amount of carbonation for a stout and an appearance to be expected of a stout.

smell - Potent. At first whiff, vanilla-oak then immediately overcome by only what I can describe as bourbon alcohol.

taste & mouthfeel - This stout is smooth going with a flash of alcohol at the end. It's hard to overcome the potent oak/bourbon alcohol. If you focus enough you can catch hints of the usual stout flavors of chocolate and coffee. They are quickly replaced by strong American oak.

overall - If I was a bourbon fan, this might be a stout for me. However, the stout aspects that I love were overwhelmed. I wish I had some dark chocolate to clean my palate.

poured into a stein

2.52/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured from a deuce-deuce into a wine glass for maximum enjoyment.

Appearance: Opaque and black, with soft hints of red and/or mahongany. Thin tan head which does not stick around very long. Doesn't look overly thick or too thin, I like the look of this brew.

Smell: Immediately smell the oak. It's woody to the point of being perhaps just a touch over the top. Very little hop action, but the malt is prevalent in a strange way. Upon further review, it definitely smellls like merlot or cabernet sauvignon. I don't want my beer to smell like wine, so I'm not impressed.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Simply put, much like red wine poured into a stout. Gentle carbonation allows the oak flavor combined with some chocolate/vanilla candy taste to envelop the palate. Strange grape attribute is not welcome here. Aftertaste is all wine.

Drinkability: I don't think I would purposely buy this beer again. If somebody else were to buy it and offer a taste, I would not decline, but only because we sometimes need to be reminded that price does not always equal quality.

Bought this after forty-five minutes at the store, staring at an endless supply of beer. Kinda wish I would have opted for my first decision, but then again, without moving forward, I can never refine my taste. *Shrug* No go, New Holland.

2.53/5  rDev -37.2%

S: Prominent bourbon, raisin dark bread, touch of vanilla, some chocolate as it warms.

L: Very dark brown, bordering on black, light tan head that dissipates. Ok lacing.

T: Rich breadiness up front with a bourbon undercurrent. Medium low bitterness leads to a very sweet bourbon and vanilla taste. Finishes with even more bourbon and alcohol prickleness, bleh.

M: Medium low body for style, medium low carbonation.

Compared to other -bal stouts, this is a pretty piss poor effort, mouthfeel is quite thin bodied.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company