Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

2014 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Reviews: 1,428 | Ratings: 5,388
3.83/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours almost black with a small head that dissipates quickly. Looks pretty much like a bourbon barrel stout should look.

S: Chocolate, some coffee, maybe a bit of vanilla. Oddly, not much in the way of bourbon.

T: Just a bit of bourbon with more coffee and chocolate. Drinks very smoothly, even at 11 percent ABV.

M: Very good, but not great; smooth and silky with some alcohol sting late.

O: Very good representation of the style. It's less "bourbony" than many of the other beers in this genre, but drinking Dragon's Milk is a good experience overall.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this bomber into my 20oz glass. This beer pours black with a nice frothy head that sticks around awhile and leaves some decent lacing. Smells of chocolate, malt and alcohol. The taste is very dry like dark chocolate with some cherry taste at the end. The taste from the wood is also very prominent and must contribute to the dryness of this beer but not in a good way. The mouthfeel is smooth but a little dry. Drinkability is moderate. I finished the bomber but it certainly did not wow me. Overall I am glad I tried this beer but I expected much more when I purchased it.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Deep ruby color, creamy tan head, leaves some lacing. Smells of roasted malt, caramel, chocolate, and has a creamy quality. The taste is smooth and creamy, the roasted malt dominating the flavor, a little bitter (can't tell if that's hops or not), the caramel and chocolate surface slowly and there's a slightly spicy lingering finish. Definitely a delicious brew, fits the name well. Very easy to drink and the high ABV is fairly hidden. Great balance and body, and just delicious. This is the favorite of everyone at a beer bar near me called Chappy's, and it's obvious why.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Since my buddy lives in Holland Michigan, I should take his word for it and give these guys a try.

Hew Holland doesn't dissapoint. I have had "The Poet" and the "Mad Hatter" which were both very good but this one is by far better than either one of those beers.

A - Brown to Dark Brown in color. Some light does come through but not much. As far as any head....not much. Nice coloring.

S - Good. Some roasted malts and carmel notes come through. I really like the barrel smell. Very nice but not overpowering. Woody. Earthy. Good.

T - Excellent. Reminds me of a thicker version of Rocky's Revenge. Definite chocolate malt carmel and oak barrel come through. No alcohol at all which is nice for an 8.5% beer. Some carination but not too much. I want to be drinking with a good stake sitting around a camp fire in Northern Minnesota.

M - For such a lighter beer compared to most thick stouts, this Strong Dark Ale is very very creamy. Coats the mouth and tongue. Nice. Very high marks for mouthfeel.

D - You will all die when you hear how much I paid for this 22 oz bomber...$3.99. A new liqior store in town and they have some of their bottles and beers marked WAY to low. In every other store in town, it is at least double this. Excellent find and excellent beer to have on this windy Minnesota Winter day.

Overall, I will for sure pick up more of this in the very near future.

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

One of the more balanced oak barrel beer. Overall, it's a decent sipping beer that's worth a try (especially if you're a whisky fan)

Appearance: Deep dark brown with a tan head

Smell: Fragrant malt, butter, and a touch of mocha

Taste: Sweet malt, toasted oak, and butter

Mouthfeel: Creamy smooth with a bitter kick

Drinkability: Definitely a sipping beer with its many rich flavors.

3.73/5  rDev -6%

Pours burnt brown, lots of creamy tannish head. Looks something like a stout.

Smell has a great roastiness, some coffee and chocolate malts mingling with dark fruit aromas.

Starts thick and roasty, mellowing out somewhat into creamy tartness. Earthy wood notes and almost sourness towards the finish. Probably has something to do with the barrel aging thing.

A very interesting brew, a nice change from the hoppy strong ales that I'm used to. Not something I'd drink every day, though. Recieved via trade with jpm30.

3.26/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle

Pours a very dark brown almost black with little to no head.

Smells strongly of bourbon and vanilla.

Tastes strongly of bourbon and vanilla, boozy, you can taste the 11% at the finish

Mouthfeel is nice and rich, creamy, smooth

Decent beer, but way too bourbony and boozy for me. I prefer a stout where the coffee and chocolate flavors are profiled, this one is not balanced at all. I'll finish it but it may take me all afternoon, it is definitely a "big" beer.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

This is a nice dark ale, with a decent light brown head. Looks almost like a coke while pouring. There is a strong smell of dark chocolate. The taste is much more interesting than the smell. Very nice. There is chocolate, raisins, some wine like flavors probably the oak. It is on the sweet side, with no hops obvious. The mouthfeel is good, very smooth and creamy. It goes down way too easy for a 9% beer!

3.27/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a black hole like sludge into a tulip glass with barely any head.

The aroma is strongly of coffee and roasted malts. you can also smell the oak.

The taste is intense. It overwhelms the senses with a very alcoholic taste. Also the presence of oak, vanilla, and coffee.

Overall, I think this is just a little too boozy and or wood flavored. I think a year or so of aging would mellow it out.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured this from a bomber into a pint glass. It was black with very little head but lots of lacing. It poured fairly thick. You could definitely smell oak and vanilla with roasted malts. It was very thick and surprisingly sweet from what I remember from the last time I had it. The malt taste was also overpowered by vanilla. I have to say it was too much. I've read other reviews saying the alcohol was too much, but I didn't think it was too boozy. I had this out with friends before, but this time I drank it at home. I was less impressed with it this time, so it'll be some time before I have it again.

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours with a clear dark brown color with ruby tint. Has a nice tan head that sticks around nicely. Aroma is wonderfully complex -- it has some reserved sweetness with oak and vanilla notes...wait until it warms a bit, and a little roast also comes through.

This beer is well balanced and has a surprisingly dry finish; as the beer warms a little, the vanilla notes become somewhat more pronounced.

An enjoyable beer. I like the oak and vanilla over some other examples that can add overpowering bourbon flavor.

3.72/5  rDev -6.3%

Many thanks to Gaisgeil for this beer!

Poured a roasty black, with a light tan head that fades to a small patch quickly.

Smell is heavily of vanilla and oak, has a hint of a bourbon to the finish.

The oak absolutely dominates the taste from start to finish. A bit of vanilla and milk sweetness rise through, with a hint of hop tartness at the very end. Oak is all over.

Carbonation is spot on, and the slightly lactic acidity in the beer leaves your mouth ready for more vanilla sweetness. I'd like to see it a little bit heavier, but I consider the thickest of imperial stouts to be my bread and butter, so I'm a bit biased I suppose.

A tasty beer, to be sure, but the alcohol makes a 22oz bottle a night's beer.
Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

I paid $7.99 for the bomber. According to the bottle this is the 2011 vintage and part of their High Gravity Series. The label says the ABV is 10.0% (BeerAdvocate reports it is 9%)

I often open a new bottle with dinner and break out my pen and little notepad. My 4 year old daughter likes to smell each one I try. When she smelled this I asked her what she thought. She said, "chocolate!" She'll have to wait 17 more years but it was obvious to a 4 year old that the nose was dominated by chocolate here.

It poured a dark brown, near black with some ruby tones. It gave a thin tan head.

The flavors were of cocoa, coffee, toffee, and toasty vanilla derived from the oak barrels. The oak was evident and I'd guess they are using American oak barrels and the oak was upfront and French oak would have been too subtle for the brew, though might have been nice and subdued.

Dragon's Milk gave a long finish with a bit of alcohol bite on the side of the tongue and a little bit of oak tannins drying the mouth.

Overall, very nice, though I might prefer New Holland's Night Tripper slightly. I'd buy this again. Good stuff and while not cheap at $7.99, still a decent value for a bomber when others charge over $10 for lesser beers.

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%

Just about as dark as they come, with a quarter inch head after an aggressive pour. Head dissapated quickly, but left good lacing throughout.

Aroma was malt and chocolate, not getting much oak. Carbonation was low, with a thick syrupy mouthfeel.

VERY sweet, no hop presence at all. Could not drink more than 2 of these due to the sweetness and strength.

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

Look: Deep ruby/dark brown color, thick head that dissipates quickly, with good lacing

Smell: Bourbon, roasted malt, molasses, coffee, vanilla, brown sugar

Taste: Up Front: Bourbon, vanilla, and raisins
Finish: Dark brown sugar, lot's of booze. Finish is also dry

Mouthfeel: Rich, almost syrupy

Drinkability: Relatively easy to drink, but it's a "one and done" kind of beer for me

Overall Impression: When I bought it, I was under the impression it was an Imperial Stout, but I realized right away that it was too thin for the style. It was a slightly imbalanced - a little heavy on the sweetness, but it is a good (borderline Very Good) beer nonetheless, and certainly worth trying, especially if you like barrel aged beers like I do.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at Tyler's Taproom in Apex, NC. Served in a tulip glass.

The beer was black with a deep copper, almost red hue. Not much head to be had.

First and foremost, the hops and grain stand out. There just is no ignoring the vanilla on the nose of this beer. Very subtle oak resin and dark sugar overtones as well.

Immediately malty and bittersweet. Caramel, oak resin, and raisin begin to take over the beer right before the vanilla hits you. It's a very sweet beer, but the bitterness is not lost on the edges of your palette.

Very full bodied, but the carbonation complements it nicely. Definitely a warmer with the abv of this thing.

This was a fantastically delicious beer. It's a HUGE beer though. The ABV on this sucker will really sneak up and hit you.

4.73/5  rDev +19.1%

My first and (so far) only 5/5 beer. So I figured it would be a good one with which to start reviewing beer on this site.

Poured into a New Belgium snifter from a 12 fl. oz. bottle.

A - An opaque, deep dark brown that borders on pitch black. Very pleasant looking, creamy head, which disappears rather quickly but leaves a nice creamy surface.

S - Equal parts dark chocolate, malt and "typical" stout, I'd say. A pretty good indication of what's to come.

T - Dear god, this is magical! The strongest flavor is that of gloriously dark and bitter chocolate. I think I am getting a slight hint of coconut, as well, which fits in perfectly. The flavor from the bourbon barrel-aging gives this beer a very nice "woody," almost winey note, the malt mixes very well with the chocolate flavors. The finish slightly hints at both the bourbon and alcohol content, but the sweetness hides the ABV very well.

M - Just the right amount of carbonation, and a nice, full-bodied feel. Very satisfying!

O - I only started drinking stouts recently, but had I heard of this beer sooner, man I would have started much, much earlier! This is divine.

One bottle will last you quite a while, as it is best sipped slowly. I'd recommend drinking it slightly below room temperature. I enjoyed mine with a piece of buttered French bread, which was a fantastic combination.

At $17 for a 4-pack rather spendy, but without a doubt worth it. Best enjoyed on special occasions, and/or shared with a friend.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: minimal to no head, opaque body

S: Smells of booze right off, but you do gets hints of coffe, chocolate and toffe

T: Chocolate and coffe as i smelled in the boquet alcohol is apparent but not overwhelming

M: a little thin i thought, maybe should have been more creamy

O: honestly the first time I had this I was disgusted, tried it again and now I love it.
Goes to show that ya gotta try everything twice!

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a La Fin du Monde Tulip

A - very dark, with a slight hint of red at the bottom of the glass, about a finger's worth of tan head, that already after a few sips has started leaving great head

S - roasted malts, raisins, some fruit, maybe cherry

T - noticeable vanilla at the front, following into a slightly alcohol infused toffee at the end, oak character adds a nice background

M - silky smooth, reminds me of Ten Fidy, good carbonation

D - will enjoy every sip of this, need to get another one and cellar, must sip or you might miss out on everything this beer has

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Look: Deep black with just a hint of ruby red. Good head, and swirling in the glass could re-create the head after it fell a bit. Not much lacing though.

Smell: Definitely vanilla. Chocolate even, and the bourbon is certainly there.

Taste: I was very impressed with the taste. Full of bourbon and complexity, not too dissimilar to a much pricier Eclipse. Delicious.

Feel: Smooth and bourbon. Rolls over the tongue.

A fantastic stout for the price.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours dark brown with glowing ruby highlights. The head is very light and lacy with a light brown color. The thin head gives off a strong sweet vinous aroma. The drink is slow and viscous with low levels of carbonation with sweet roasted malt flavors supported by vanilla flavors from the barrel. The flavor fades slowly and gracefully with just a hint of the sweet vanilla lingering with the warming alcohol.

Crystals evident under the cap probably from spillage but I just wiped them and it didn't affect the taste or anything else.

Very dark reddish hue with a ring of foam.

Sweet roasted aroma.

Sweet nutty chewy. maybe a little cloying but sometimes I really like something sweet. I really love the oakiness/nutty taste.

Well carbonated but syrupy. Warming. Coats the inside of my mouth.

I almost rated this beer higher except for the extreme sweetness. It definately has a place as an after dinner beer but I couldn't drink it all the time.

4.92/5  rDev +23.9%

This is probably in my top 3 favorite beers. I had it on tap at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte, NC.
It pours a thick, dark onyx with a nice off-white head. The nose gives you lots of chocolate, dark roasted malt, some vanilla oaky notes and just a hint of the alcohol. Each sip helps paint a full picture of this complex Strong Ale. You start off with lots of chocolate that tastes nice and creamy because of the subtle vanilla, and as it warms you start to taste the malt backing it up, along with some oak notes and again just a hint of the alcohol. The lingering finish is of vanilla and chocolate and leaves you wanting more. This is an awesome and dangerously drinkable beer for the 8.5% abv.

3.44/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Very nice dark brown/black color. Nice brown head but faded quickly with little to no lacing.

S: Smell is average. There is a strong smell of alcohol that masks most of the other smells. Faint hints of vanilla and other sweets in the background.

T: Taste is good, but not great. The alcohol once again overpowers the softer vanilla flavor. A nice faint carmel aftertaste though.

M: Thiner than expected. I was definitly hoping for more chew.

D: It's definitly drinkable. Although you can taste more of the 8.5 ABV than I'd prefer.

Overall: The beer is decent, however the alcohol overpowers the finer aspects of the beer. Their are faint hints of vanilla and carmel that get lost in the beer. Overall, I'll drink and enjoy it, but if the alcohol taste were toned done, it would be much better.

4.92/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured the 2012 vintage into my brandy snifter.

A - Dark beer, like a stout. I had about 1" light mocha head with a heavy pour.

S - Oh, my! Bourbon, vanilla and dark fruits, maybe raisin.

T - Creamy bourbon barrel flavors. More bourbon than some years. Vanilla and caramalized malts. Like some stouts, but without the coffee or chocolate flavors.

M - Perfect balance and carbonation. Close to a medium stout in mouthfeel. Creamy and wonderful to sip on!

O - Still one of my top 5 beers period! If you like stouts or bourbon barrelled ales at all, give this a shot. The best New Holland brew I've tasted. Maybe the best beer I've tasted. Always available.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company