Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

2011 22oz

A: Thin tan head, really dark, almost black, nice carbonation and lacing

S: Not getting a lot here, maybe I'm getting a cold? Touch of chocolate, vanilla, caramel, oak, and malts

T: Alcohol, roasty, oak, chocolate, it's complex, but too much alcohol in my opinion

M: Creamy, chewy, low carbonation

O: Good stout, above average, but doesn't get to founder's levels in my opinion

1.75/5  rDev -56%

4.1/5  rDev +3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

As good as any Imperial Stout I've had, and I love the style.
If I am going to enjoy 10% ABV brew it better be as rich as this one.
(case in point, for me half of DIPAs are half of their little brothers in aroma and subtlety)
But not so Dragon's Milk. It's a must try. I'd like to age a six pack. It's very wine-like.

A: True to black form, 1inch thick head fades back to a ring film leaving fountains of lacing on the .5l glass. Ruby glints, and silent on carbonation. A beautiful sipper.

S: Bourbon all the way, along with roast charred malts, dark wood, railroad tracks, board walk, salt hay. Perfect with a robusto cheese.

T; All follows the aroma, but the bourbon dominance gives way to complex balance of roast malts, grass, chocolate. I dont find it overly sweet, it has a clean whiskey finish, leaves my mouth in a great place.

F: Silky, weighted, good full texture, without much carbonation, and no cloying. Lingers, a bit sweet, a bit after dinner liquor. But ends all whiskey, dry, firey, and lively. Fire Water!

Best bourbon barrel stout I've ever had, I'd want to keep this around to share with friends, esp in deep winter.

Bravo!

4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks for the bottle, oldcrustacean!
Deep, deep garnet, nearly black. A vigorous pour generates a thin ivory head that quickly dies into a wispy, broken coating. Good clarity, the yeast staying neatly in the bottle. Some broken lace trails down the glass, and the head stubbornly collars the brew for the duration.
Black cherries steeped in alcohol, creamy oaken tones, prune, raisin. Syrupy caramel, with a soft, wooden hop undertone. Some perfumey floral notes, as well as thinner-like fusel alcohol.
The wood aging is very prominent in the flavor. Vinous red grape and cherry overtones, backed thoroughly by malt, malt and more malt. Fruit just gushes forth, acquiring a pleasant sourness in the finish. Perhaps a touch wild, my guess is some latent bacteria in the wood. Not much in the way of hops, just a vaguely woody, pine-like tang in back. Creamy oaken tones. A dash of vanilla and powdered cocoa. Very smooth on the palate, the wood aging has softened this nicely. The fruitiness is intense. Rather dry as well. Slight booze in the swallow, remaining present on my breath. Soft, refined carbonation. Thinner bodied than I'd anticipated, but still substantial enough. Acquires a bit of a port feel as it approaches room temperature.
Very, very sophisticated. More in common with cabernet than beer. Although I'm not the biggest of wine fans, I do mean that as a compliment. The closest beer comparison I can make is JW Lees Prize Old Ale. Elegant and refined. Quite a sipper.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a small wispy beige head leaving lacing down the glass.

Smells chocolate with just a faint hint of bourbon. A little boozy.

Lots of chocolate on the flavor too. Roasty malts and a bit of vanilla. Finishes semi-sweet with yet more chocolate and a bit of a boozy kick. Would not guess bourbon from this.

Good medium thick mouthfeel with medium carb levels. Good creaminess.

Good beer, but not overly complex and docked a point for not having any noticeable bourbon presence.

4.01/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Pitch black. Seemingly no lacing. Not much to be said here. (3.5/5)

Smell: Coffee, smokey, and chocolatey. (4/5)

Taste/feel: Interesting. Very interesting. It has a lot of chocolate and coffee like you'd expect in a stout, but there's some smoke in there. Another surprise was the feel and carbonation. The feel is rather light, and the carbonation is medium/high. The alcohol is easily detected in this one as well. Stouts and porters and the like aren't my favorite styles, but I don't hate this one. (3.5/5, 3/5)

3.5/5,
(3.57/5)

Re-review: 12/20/15

Okay, so I had this beer three years ago before I ever liked imperial stouts. Now that I do, I can give a much better idea how I think it stacks up. Got a four-pack from Kroger for $15.49 ... under $4/bottle for a bourbon barrel aged beer? I can deal with that.

Appearance: Hard pour gave an awesome, creamy brown head that slowly went down to half a finger and lingered. There's a nice bit of lacing, too. The color is porter-ish: a perfectly clear ruby black.

Smell: Lots of chocolate, a little roast, and accenting bourbon barrel. The bourbon quality is not very intense in this beer. The beer itself doesn't smell very intense, for that matter, but it's super pleasant ... I don't find this smokey at all like I did the first time I had it.

Taste/feel: Very nice, and a little unique, thanks to a nuttiness that I'm getting out of it -- I don't find that in many big stouts at all, unfortunately. The bourbon barrel isn't very intense, but it's a bit more present as the beer warms up: more vanilla, oak, bourbon, and very light alcohol warmth. There's a nice roast flavor with chocolate on the front, with a bittersweet mocha finish with, again, a great nutty flavor. The feel is something that still bums me out about this beer -- it drinks like a 7% stout, not 11%. It's silky and has a very pleasant, light carbonation, but it's not a feel I've come to expect from this style and ABV. It's way too easy drinking.

Considerably better than I remember. I've wanted to give this beer a second try for quite a long while, and I'm glad I did. It's not quite an "all-star" BBA'd beer, but it's one that's a helluva lot more affordable than many others, easy to get, and well-worth a purchase.

A-very dark brown with almost no highlights seen, a very thin layer of tan head quickly disappears to leave some lacing around the top

S-boozy, chocolate, vanilla, sticky malts, and a light roasted coffee smell

T-taste has a lot of nice roasted notes to it, chocolate, vanilla, oaky, coffee, and a strong amount of alcohol.

M-medium to full body, smooth, very light carbonation, a slight burnt taste left in the mouth

Overall this is a very interesting beer. It is heavy on the booze taste/smell/feel, but a lot of other flavors come out which are often missing in high ABV beers. It is expensive but if I found it again I would probably buy it.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company