Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Ratings: 5,986 |  Reviews: 1,556
3.84/5  rDev -5%

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Had on tap at Heorot and also bought a bottle and enjoyed a few days later. There is really no difference in taste between each of the two ways.

This is one of the strongest bourbon-influenced stouts that I have had so far, which is saying quite a lot. The aroma is oozing of bourbon and chocolatey goodness, and the color is approaching complete darkness upon pour.

From the initial smell you would believe it to be very pungent with its bourbon taste, almost to an overwhelming state, but it really isn’t. Other than a slight (very slight) dip in aftertaste, this is a terrific bourbon barrel stout.

4.04/5  rDev 0%

Got a growler of this from Party Town in Florence, KY for $12.99

Pours deep brown/black with a small head. I don't think there was ample carbonation from the keg. I thought this would be darker and more viscous.

The smell from this thing is really great and bourbon forward. I get some oak, vanilla, and tons of bourbon.

The taste mirrors the smell. A lot of bourbon and vanilla. Faint oakiness is there along with roasted malts, being very secondary.... Bourbon is in yo face! The booze is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is medium. Carbs are a little low, but it could be the keg setup it came out of.

Not a world class beer, but fun to drink.

A-very dark brown with almost no highlights seen, a very thin layer of tan head quickly disappears to leave some lacing around the top

S-boozy, chocolate, vanilla, sticky malts, and a light roasted coffee smell

T-taste has a lot of nice roasted notes to it, chocolate, vanilla, oaky, coffee, and a strong amount of alcohol.

M-medium to full body, smooth, very light carbonation, a slight burnt taste left in the mouth

Overall this is a very interesting beer. It is heavy on the booze taste/smell/feel, but a lot of other flavors come out which are often missing in high ABV beers. It is expensive but if I found it again I would probably buy it.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Had this on tap 2 days ago at La Cav Du Vin. Shortly after I got mine, my friend Passow (imaguitargod) killed the keg! Drawn into a goblet. This beer is a dark brown color. Tan head maybe 1/4 inch when first drawn into the glass. Settles fairly quickly to a thin surface layer with a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass. Sweet malty aromas of chocolate, some coffee and perhaps a bit of vanilla or dark fruit of some type is present here. The taste is also sweet, sort of biscuity and malty with all the aforementioned chocolate, vanilla, and coffee flavors. Very little to no hop bitterness here. Definitely the least hoppy beer of this style I have ever had. This beer reminded me of a lot of milk/sweet stouts I have had. Has a crisp, frothy, and full bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Excellent drinkability! A great beer! Too bad it is all tapped out, at least for now, at La Cav Du Vin.

Eric

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Vintage 2012 Bourbon Barrel
12oz served in a snifter.

A - Pours a dark brown almost black with highlighted edges. Small kahki head creates wispy patterns of micro thin bubbles.

S - Chocolate, vanilla, oak wood, toasted but sweet caramel/toffee, chocolate liqueur, bourbon comes out more as it warms.

T/M- Firm chocolate malts, wrapped in vanilla oak, cherry notes, caramel/toffee, maple sweetness, bourbon comes out later, earthy roasted bitterness, and bitter leafy green hops combine with a bourbon alcohol character on the finish.

M - Heavy side of medium body, creamy and fluffy carbonation, but the ethanol thins it out. A tad hot on the finish but seems to work.

I love how this beer shifts from a strong but rounded vanilla oak characeter at first but transitions into a serious bourbon character as it warms up. A very inviting aroma, and wonderfully melded flavors. This is to sipped on preferably around a fire.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I seriously thought I had this beer, but as I age my memory fades. I do not recall drinking this beer, but that does not mean anything. Poured into my tulip glass at 44 degrees. The light tan head is creamy and airy. The retention on the head is par. The head left no lacing as it dissipated. The color of the beer is dark brown, nearly black and opaque. The appearance of this beer is above average.

The barrel age on the beer is not as strong on the nose. The aromas in the beer are vanilla, burnt sugar, oak, molasses, earth, roasted dark malts, caramel, toffee, bready, coffee, chocolate, dark fruits, and solvent-like.

The flavors in the beer are burnt sugar, oak, molasses, roasted dark malt, toffee, coffee, chocolate, toffee, bready, dark fruits, and phenolic taste.

The mouthfeel of the beer is harsh and slightly warm. The body of the beer is medium-plus, medium carbonation, and a medium-plus finish.

The beer is lacking many qualities from making this a great beer. The body of the beer is too thin for an imperial stout. The balance of the beer is out of kilter. The flavor is not harmonious. Lastly, the barrel age of the beer is a joke. I do get the barrel flavors but quite weak.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into stout glass. It pours a deep, dark brown with a two-finger, light tan head and lacing. The smell is mostly oaky vanilla and bourbon. The flavor follows the nose and is very nice: roasty malt, vanilla, and a lot of bourbon. As the glass warmed, I began to notice some chocolate, as well. There is only a subtle bitterness at the finish. You can really feel the heat of the 10% ABV. While it's undeniably boozy, and definitely a sipper, it's also quite smooth and easy to drink. Overall, I enjoyed it. It is a very good stout, which I would really like to try on draught.

I poured from a bomber, 2010 vintage, into a snifter. The pour is pitch black, medium tan head, light lacing. The aroma is heavy on oak, vanilla, chocolate, and dark fruit. The flavors of roasted chocolate, oak and vanilla are prominant. It finishes with some dark fruit and hot alcohol. The body is medium and it drinks like a much smaller beer. A very enjoyable beer that I have been meaning to pick up for some time.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

3.07/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

So I'm chillin at home last night smoking a little herb and playing Battlefield 3, when I realize... I have a bottle of Dragon's Milk in my fridge!!! Busted it open. Poured it in a glass. This is my experience....

Pours up black as an ageless storm, small head of color I cant remember. Aroma is so easy and pleasant on my senses. Malty, warm, hint of earth. I sip. I go into a coma. I recover three weeks later. The flavor profile was electric. Big barrel smoothness, malty, oak, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, some hops came by to see how I was doing but left shortly thereafter. The body was big, the carbo was smooth. Then, I awoke. Strange. No bottle in sight. No beer residue in my glass. Had I really drank the elixir...or was it all a dream...

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company