Dragon's Milk | New Holland Brewing Company

2016 Bottles are 11% ABV

Added by beernut7 on 08-12-2002

Ratings: 6,034 |  Reviews: 1,570
3.07/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.19/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Vintage 2012 Bourbon Barrel
12oz served in a snifter.

A - Pours a dark brown almost black with highlighted edges. Small kahki head creates wispy patterns of micro thin bubbles.

S - Chocolate, vanilla, oak wood, toasted but sweet caramel/toffee, chocolate liqueur, bourbon comes out more as it warms.

T/M- Firm chocolate malts, wrapped in vanilla oak, cherry notes, caramel/toffee, maple sweetness, bourbon comes out later, earthy roasted bitterness, and bitter leafy green hops combine with a bourbon alcohol character on the finish.

M - Heavy side of medium body, creamy and fluffy carbonation, but the ethanol thins it out. A tad hot on the finish but seems to work.

I love how this beer shifts from a strong but rounded vanilla oak characeter at first but transitions into a serious bourbon character as it warms up. A very inviting aroma, and wonderfully melded flavors. This is to sipped on preferably around a fire.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hands down the best beer I could walk into any distributor and buy a case of at any time. For that its a 10/10 (availability/price). As for a bb stout it's on the lacking end (yet still better than some seasonal releases I've had). This beer will always have a special place in my heart as my introductory bba beer and I will always go back to it but up against the other power house bba beers it's a sam adams verse a three floyds. Towards the bottom of its class but still MILES above most other "regular" options.

4.25 overall

4.04/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

I poured from a bomber, 2010 vintage, into a snifter. The pour is pitch black, medium tan head, light lacing. The aroma is heavy on oak, vanilla, chocolate, and dark fruit. The flavors of roasted chocolate, oak and vanilla are prominant. It finishes with some dark fruit and hot alcohol. The body is medium and it drinks like a much smaller beer. A very enjoyable beer that I have been meaning to pick up for some time.

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Very dark, basically black and somewhat thick in the pour. The head really never forms and that holds it back. You can almost see the alcohol.

My bottle might have been a bit too cold but I didn't pick up much in the nose. Caramel malts, I didn't get the roasted notes, and a splash of vanilla but nothing really stood out.

Wow, you better have on your big boy pants to drink this. AGGRESSIVE is all I can say. The oak barrel presence is glaring. Very malty on the tongue. Vanilla is noticeable. Alcohol is very in your face, especially in the finish.

Too strong for me. I like high ABV and bold beers, but this is too much like a spirit for my liking. A bit of sweetness, then it's all alcohol and heat, particularly in the finish where the burn stays with you for quite a while.

It's a big boy beer. Strong in almost every facet. Not easy to drink and it doesn't go down easily. Like other barrel aged beers, it's so in your face. Feels like the alcohol is much higher than 10.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

So I'm chillin at home last night smoking a little herb and playing Battlefield 3, when I realize... I have a bottle of Dragon's Milk in my fridge!!! Busted it open. Poured it in a glass. This is my experience....

Pours up black as an ageless storm, small head of color I cant remember. Aroma is so easy and pleasant on my senses. Malty, warm, hint of earth. I sip. I go into a coma. I recover three weeks later. The flavor profile was electric. Big barrel smoothness, malty, oak, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, some hops came by to see how I was doing but left shortly thereafter. The body was big, the carbo was smooth. Then, I awoke. Strange. No bottle in sight. No beer residue in my glass. Had I really drank the elixir...or was it all a dream...

Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewing Company