Rye P.A. Hatter | New Holland Brewing Company

Liked:
3.78/5
Alströms:

2.23/5  rDev -41%

BOTTLE: Silver foil-ed over pry-off pressure cap. 2014 vintage. 1 pint 6 fl oz. Brown glass. Appealing label art.

Reviewed live as a rye pale ale per the label. Expectations are above average given the brewery. Purchased in CO and served cold into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass at high altitude in Castle Rock, CO.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 1.5 fingers wide. Beige colour. Average thickness, creaminess, fullness, complexion, and consistency. Above average frothiness. Nice retention - ~5 minutes. Light, even lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Vibrant amber-copper. Translucent and transparent. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears well-carbonated. It's not spot on for a pale ale, but I guess the rye does have an effect on colour. Still, it's far from unique or special. This is a pretty middle-of-the-road appearance for a pale. I'm optimistic.

AROMA: Sweet sticky caramalt dominates, lending far too much sweetness for a pale and seemingly drowning out the hops. Hopwise, I get nectary notes, faint pine, and some herbal/evergreen character. Rye's signature spiciness is in there but's hidden; I doubt I'd notice it if I tried this beer blind.

Aromatic intensity is average.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable.

Suggests an overly sweet pale ale with insufficient hopping.

TASTE: Caramalt dominates the taste as well, to its detriment. I have trouble finding even any pale malts. Rye's spiciness does flourish on the climax, but it's not enough to save this flavour profile from its fundamental imbalance/overdone malt sweetness. And it suffers from a disgusting green apple/candied apple/caramelized apple note I despise. The hops get eclipsed, but I do find traces of herbal and evergreen hop character; maybe a hint of pine too? The ingredients were just poorly selected here; this should be a pale malt heavy flavour profile with bright hop notes like citrus and resins.

Average/underwhelming depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. There's no notable complexity/intricacy, nuance, or subtlety. It's a pretty overt build, lacking much cohesion. Not a gestalt flavour profile by any means. Sadly, there is some noticeable alcohol warmth as well. A problematic pale ale buid that I'm having trouble liking.

As it warms, I even find some marshmallow emerging - an awful flavour in a pale ale build.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, crisp, overcarbonated, too full-bodied, overly thick, and slightly syrupy, with an off-puttingly sticky feel on the palate. This texture is ill-suited to its intended style and doesn't do a good job of complementing the taste. Subpar execution. Fails to elevate the beer.

OVERALL: Disappointing work from New Holland. The execution didn't deliver on the potential of the premise. In order to fix this, they'd need to go to back to the drawing board; even the fundamental ingredient selection decisions are wrong. Not sure what they were after with this one. I'll finish the bottle with effort, but I definitely wouldn't buy this again. Why is it so damned sweet?

High D

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.76/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured Rye Hatter into Belgian Tulip.

A - Pours a clear amber with a finger of off white head.

S - Spicy hops with pine, grapefruit with musty malt.

T - I taste hops with some spicy rye malt. Grapefruit, pine resin mid palate. On the aftertaste getting more spicy rye with more grapefruit and pine.

M - Medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

O - A good rye IPA. Cheers!

3.52/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - 3.75/5
Pours a deep orange-brown. Moderately clear. A little haze. Can see many tiny particulates floating around in the beer. Minimal head. Moderate amount of carbonation can be seen rising at a quick rate.

Smell - 3.5/5
Pine-citrus hops and some sweet maltiness. Perhaps hints of caramel or other dark/thick sugar flavor. Nothing really special

Taste - 3.5/5
Pine-citrus hops, sweet darker malty flavor, some spiciness. Pine-citrus hops aftertaste. Nothing really special. Doesn't really taste much different from the Oak-Aged Hatter IPA I tried yesterday.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium to full bodied, creamy texture, very light carbonation. I typically like more carbonation in my beers, but the light carbonation I think fits with this beer.

Overall - 3.5/5
Overall this was an okay beer. The bottles says "Rye lends spiciness to the caramel-malt base". I would have liked to feel more spiciness from this beer, as it was minimal. Also, I wish they brought out the caramel malt flavors more. I still don't think it would make this beer awesome, but I think it would be better if they did those things. Also, I don't know if I would have used piney hops. I would use other kinds of hops that are less piney for this beer. Again, I have been disappointed by yet another Hatter beer. I love New Holland, but don't think I've ever really liked any of their Hatters.

4.04/5  rDev +6.9%

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%

3.11/5  rDev -17.7%

22 oz bottle. Pours hazy copper orange with a big frothy creamy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet bready rye, some fruit and hops.

The flavor is sweet bready biscuit malts, rye spice, some fruit with slightly vegetal hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, a decent rye pale.

Rye P.A. Hatter from New Holland Brewing Company