New Holland Hopivore | New Holland Brewing Company

New Holland HopivoreNew Holland Hopivore

New Holland Brewing Company
newhollandbrew.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by JamnesCameron on 10-16-2010

3.4

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

4.38/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep mahogany color with a thin head and plenty of lacing. Smell is of breadyness like pumpernickel maybe? and a light lemony hop. The taste is a fairly bitter hop and lemony citrus zest, with a somewhat sweet malty foundation. It is of a viscosity that I enjoy and a light carbonation that is refreshing. Overall I enjoy it though it is hard for me to not look at it and expect it to be an IPA but I would drink it again.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

A_Nice golden amber color with a thin white head.Moderate lacing.

S_Floral,grassy hops and pale malt.

T_Same as the nose. Floral notes and grassy hops. Biscuit like malt with a hint of spiciness. Good balance of fresh hops with a hearty malt backbone.

M_Medium bodied with a crisp finish.

D_Very drinkable. Can't really make sense of the mediocre review.

4.29/5  rDev +26.2%

This is a fantastic pale ale. Perfect amount of citrus hop zest. Beautiful color and a fluffy white head. Moderate lacing. IMO this is a very underated beer indeed. Actually quite delicious and tasty.

4.28/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.24/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. I didn't know this beer was limited / brewed once so I had to pick up another bottle and see what the deal is! Uncapped and poured to a Boulevard tulip.

A - Not as coppery as I would have imagined, based on other people's reviews. More towards an orange-reddish IPA look with a hint of copper haze. Hazy cloudy orange with about one finger of head, going down quick. Significant lacing.

S - Lemons. Pine hops. Smells very sticky and resinous.

T - Lemon, citrus, pine. Wonderful hop profile isn't over-dominant yet is still very much the ingredient in the foreground. The malts play an integral part, but this beer is so extremely well-balanced it might almost be ridiculous (in a good way).

M - Bitter, malty, hoppy, citrus flavors linger on the tongue and the palate for a minute.

Overall, this might be my favorite American Pale Ale so far. A better, more balanced, less heartburn-inducing version of the Grand Teton Sweetgrass APA. Very glad I decided to give this brew another chance, especially since I have been generally let down by New Holland brewing. If you see it, pick it up before they're all gone!

New Holland Hopivore ---4/5

4.19/5  rDev +23.2%

Just as the sea will eventually disgorge its dead, my kitchen is beginning to unleash beers that I have no idea from whence they came. It is my pleasure to open and review these treasures and I only wish that I could participate in New Beer Sunday, but I am currently in Persona Non Grata status.

From the bottle: "Michigan Wet-Hopped Harvest Ale"; "Michigan-grown hops are the story in this seasonal harvest ale. Hopivore is wet-hopped, with hops added to the brew just hours after harvest, creating rare, fresh flavors."

As with my earlier bottle of Mad Hatter, I could see strands of something in suspension, so I again employed a VERY gentle pour. The trade-off for clarity is the loss of head. In peering into the glass, I noticed an oh-so-slight haze in the deep-copper color (SRM = ~ 17), so I can only wonder what might have occurred with a heavier hand. Nose smelled like tea! I mean that in a good way, BTW. I have had hop tea before and not only is it totally mellow, but this is exactly what it smelled like. I am getting excited as a self-avowed hophead. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was minty fresh, reinforcing my claim of hop tea. I can understand why this may not be an APA for everyone, but I was digging it. Once again, I was not experiencing a lot of malt, but while others dun this as "unbalanced", I would prefer that little to nothing stand between me and my precious hops. The finish was extremely dry and minty, and I was reminded of picking fresh mint with my aunt many years ago. Phew! Again, I get that it may not be for everyone, but I liked it. My last pour was, indeed, sludgy, but not as bad as I had expected. Remember, if you want to be a regular guy, drink your lees!

New Holland Hopivore from New Holland Brewing Company