Sundog Amber Ale | New Holland Brewing Company

newhollandbrew.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2002

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.67/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a reddish brown with a thick, medium sized tan head that is short lived.

Smells caramel malts, bready, hints of fruit and roast

Tastes sweet malt and bready with roast and light citrus. Fades to a mostly dry light citrus bitter and roasted nutty linger. Lighter medium body with a slight bite from medium carbonation

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I love the name of this beer! As a sailor, long days at sea could literally and figuratively be brightened by the appearance of a sun dog. There is also a Stephen King novella named "The Sun Dog" & it is one of the few of his writings that I a) liked & b) sticks with me.

From the bottle: "Double suns, a.k.a [sic] sundogs, have inspired artists and philosophers for centuries. This amber ale pays tribute with toasty caramel tones and a nutty finish."; "Pairings: food off the grill, caramelized onions and tomato sauces like bbq and pizza."

My Bottle Backlog bottle has a 180-degree label from the current one in the approved pic. Mine shows an easily identifiable German Shepard on his haunches, poised in a left-facing direction while sitting on the edge of a wooden dock, taking in the Sundog. The current one seems more in line with King's imagination.

The dog yelped when I Pop!ped his cap, so I decided to be gentle with him. Once I got him into my glass, however, I felt compelled to do a vigorous in-glass swirl. This raised two fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with good retention. Who's a good boy? He sat down when commanded so that I could get a better look at him. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity & deep amber highlights. Pretty. Nose was sweet and bready, much like I remember the early versions of craft brewed Ambers to be. For a long time, an Amber was a brewpub staple until AIPAs took off and then they became forgotten until a modern, hopped-up revival brought them back in earnest. This was like old home week. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, big for the style. The taste was quite sweet, lots of bready and caramel malts at work with just a touch of cool, minty hops. It really sent me back - the year was 1987 and I had just reported for duty aboard NAS Alameda, CA. I was 22 y/o & I had developed a taste for better beer over the course of several overseas deployments. I mentioned my affinity to someone & they suggested Triple Rock Brewing Company in Berkeley. That was my first microbrew & I never looked back. Man, this beer is so evocative of that first one! I feel like I could hang out with this 'dog and drink all day, but I have places to be & people to see, so I gotta start wrapping it up. The 'dog whimpered when I gave him the news, but I promised him that I will be revisiting this beer. Finish was semi-sweet. I don't want to oversell its sweet qualities.

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

I got this beer via a beer trade. I thought it was a pretty good amber ale, a bit different.

Look: semi-clear dark copper or dark amber with a half-inch bubbly off-white head.

Aroma: bready caramel with a tad of piney hops

Taste: The taste is caramel, bready, nutty, as well as some IPA like piney hoppiness. Perhaps not a typical amber but pretty good..

Feel: light to medium body

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

3.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.29/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.44/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

1/31...pours dark cloudy brown, foamy 1/4 inch white top. Sweet caramel nose, bready. Light fruit too. Bready nutty taste. Thins out fast. Toasty start, nutty finish. Smooth. Peanuts!

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is an amber color with a medium sized tan head. The aroma is a very nice blend of hops, citrus and caramel. The taste matches the smell.

3.37/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.08/5  rDev +15.3%

I poured this into a clear teardrop glass from a bottle. There was an impressive two-finger light-colored head. It poured a really nice amber red color. The taste immediately blew me away. It's a medium bodied, almost heavy bodied beer, lightly carbonated. It's one of my favorite red or amber ales.

2.05/5  rDev -42.1%

Poured from a bottle into my beer mug, pours a really dark brown, not what I expected from something labeled an "Amber Ale" Very thin foam head.
Smell like a fruity IPA.
Tastes strong bitter of hops, like an IPA would. Not too familiar with Amber Ales but this doesn't taste like ones I've had.
Despite the strong bitter flavor mild carbonation makes it smooth.
Overall: Like most "craft" beers I keep trying it's too strong with the hops, and I'm not an IPA person.

3.54/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Milky red-brown body, tan head, lively carbonation. Toasty malt and weird prune comprise the smell. Body is more toasty malt, raw grain, mostly dry. Despite the fairly high carbonation, this is a pretty drinkable brew.
Beer.