Sundog Amber Ale | New Holland Brewing Company

newhollandbrew.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2002

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

3.61/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.05/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.67/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a reddish brown with a thick, medium sized tan head that is short lived.

Smells caramel malts, bready, hints of fruit and roast

Tastes sweet malt and bready with roast and light citrus. Fades to a mostly dry light citrus bitter and roasted nutty linger. Lighter medium body with a slight bite from medium carbonation

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I love the name of this beer! As a sailor, long days at sea could literally and figuratively be brightened by the appearance of a sun dog. There is also a Stephen King novella named "The Sun Dog" & it is one of the few of his writings that I a) liked & b) sticks with me.

From the bottle: "Double suns, a.k.a [sic] sundogs, have inspired artists and philosophers for centuries. This amber ale pays tribute with toasty caramel tones and a nutty finish."; "Pairings: food off the grill, caramelized onions and tomato sauces like bbq and pizza."

My Bottle Backlog bottle has a 180-degree label from the current one in the approved pic. Mine shows an easily identifiable German Shepard on his haunches, poised in a left-facing direction while sitting on the edge of a wooden dock, taking in the Sundog. The current one seems more in line with King's imagination.

The dog yelped when I Pop!ped his cap, so I decided to be gentle with him. Once I got him into my glass, however, I felt compelled to do a vigorous in-glass swirl. This raised two fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with good retention. Who's a good boy? He sat down when commanded so that I could get a better look at him. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity & deep amber highlights. Pretty. Nose was sweet and bready, much like I remember the early versions of craft brewed Ambers to be. For a long time, an Amber was a brewpub staple until AIPAs took off and then they became forgotten until a modern, hopped-up revival brought them back in earnest. This was like old home week. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, big for the style. The taste was quite sweet, lots of bready and caramel malts at work with just a touch of cool, minty hops. It really sent me back - the year was 1987 and I had just reported for duty aboard NAS Alameda, CA. I was 22 y/o & I had developed a taste for better beer over the course of several overseas deployments. I mentioned my affinity to someone & they suggested Triple Rock Brewing Company in Berkeley. That was my first microbrew & I never looked back. Man, this beer is so evocative of that first one! I feel like I could hang out with this 'dog and drink all day, but I have places to be & people to see, so I gotta start wrapping it up. The 'dog whimpered when I gave him the news, but I promised him that I will be revisiting this beer. Finish was semi-sweet. I don't want to oversell its sweet qualities.

3.98/5  rDev +13.4%

I got this beer via a beer trade. I thought it was a pretty good amber ale, a bit different.

Look: semi-clear dark copper or dark amber with a half-inch bubbly off-white head.

Aroma: bready caramel with a tad of piney hops

Taste: The taste is caramel, bready, nutty, as well as some IPA like piney hoppiness. Perhaps not a typical amber but pretty good..

Feel: light to medium body

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

3.74/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.29/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

1/31...pours dark cloudy brown, foamy 1/4 inch white top. Sweet caramel nose, bready. Light fruit too. Bready nutty taste. Thins out fast. Toasty start, nutty finish. Smooth. Peanuts!

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is an amber color with a medium sized tan head. The aroma is a very nice blend of hops, citrus and caramel. The taste matches the smell.

Sundog Amber Ale from New Holland Brewing Company