Sundog Amber Ale | New Holland Brewing Company

Sundog Amber AleSundog Amber Ale

New Holland Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2002

This is one of my favotires. Slightly bitter, extremely flavorful, right in my sweet spot. I am not on the IPA bandwagon. I like some IPAs and dislike the extremely bitter ones. This amber ale is more my speed and this one from New Holland is one of my go-to beers that I could drink copious amounts of.

4.51/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful deep amber color with a nice tan head that lingers.

Smell: This beer has a strong caramel nose with some citrus of the hops.

Taste: This beer tastes like it smells. Heavy on the caramel of the hops and just the right bitterness of the hops to balance the flavor.

Mouthfeel: This has a has a nice sweet body.

Overall: This is a winner. I think it is underrated because people do not rate to style. If you are drinking an amber ale, you expect a caramel flavor balanced by the hops.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

Sundog is an Amber ale. This beers aroma has a Carmel scent with also a malt scent to it. It was a medium light beer. It taste like a fall beer. The wheat taste really came out in the beer.

5% ABV
This beer is a year round beer.
Color is a darker golden yellow.
Served on tap!

4.47/5  rDev +27.4%

Pours a thin yet creamy white head over a deep copper body. Leaves sheets of lace all the way down the glass. A mixture of biscuit, caramel, malt and floral hops greet the nose. There’s a bit of citrus and spice in the aroma too--- it’s a fairly complex hop bouquet that the label leads me to believe is entirely derived from fuggles hops. The flavor is rich biscuit malt up front, tempered with a rich sweetness, slightly fruity and finishing with a crisp bitterness. Substantial citric and spicy hop flavors throughout. Smooth mouthfeel. Medium bodied. Slightly drying finish with lingering hop notes.

A solid amber ale. One of Michigan’s best ‘workhorse’ ales and one of my favorites of the many great local brews. Excellent as a session ale or everyday drinker. It never gets boring.

4.47/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful dark Amber with a thin cream-colored head that dissipates within a few minutes. Very drinkable. Malt forward with a very smooth finish. Carbonation on the low side but just right for this beer. One of the best Ambers that I have had in a long time. Will definitely be having more. I do not understand the lower-rated reviews.

4.4/5  rDev +25.4%

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This poured an orange tinted amber color with light foam that rapidly dissipates. It has a sweetish aroma with some hazelnut notes emerging from the malt profile. (Hazelnut was on my mind as I had the Frangelic Mountain Brown a few days prior.) I get some orange notes from the hops and a honeyed sweetness. It’s an easy sipper with a nice carbonation & light malty finish with a slight hop bite. The lingering finish has hints of candied orange peel and a continuation of the honeyed sweetness. This wasn’t overly sweet or malty. A reminder that not all amber ales are equal. Definitely one I’d have again—and one I wouldn’t mind sharing with those who aren’t into hoppy ales.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a medium reddish-brown with an off-white head and lots of lacing.
The aroma is bready with a bit of spice and slight hints of fruit.
The taste is led by a touch of light bitterness then some biscuit and caramel sweetness and a bit of fruit, ending with a long, drying and lightly bitter finish.
Mouthfeel is medium and creamy.
Overall, a tasty and easy drinking beer.

4.18/5  rDev +19.1%

I was looking for a nice light beer, right? I was about to order a lager (either Tennets or Stella) but I was drawn to this beer and figured . . . why not?

It was a nice light session beer. I really want to emphasize the ephemeral lightness of it, but that was coupled with a nice caramel and chocolate presence. Some toffee as well. So there was a lot going on without having a lot go on, if you get it. A nice light drinkable beer, the sort where you don't have to think about what you are drinking while having a good degree of complexity going on so if you were to decide to think about it you could. Furthermore, it tasted damned good.

I would buy a sixer of this if I were entertaining open-minded non-beer drinkers, or for myself if I just wanted to rock out on my porch. And if I saw it at a bar, I'd order it without hesitation for a first drink, or if I were looking for a mild restorative during the heat of summer.

I dig it. Certainly not a "seek out" beer, but if it comes your way and you are looking for a lighter offering it is certainly worth buying.

4.17/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a cloudy amber, thin head leaving scant lacing behind. Aroma is fairly unique: caramel, malt, fruit, candy, punctuated by a sort of meaty/cheesy aroma that I find oddly appealing. Taste is sweet and malty with a hint of that meatiness and a subtle hops finish. Goes down smooth with gentle carbonation for a nice mouthfeel. Not your average amber; very enjoyable.

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

4.14/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured a light amber/tan with healthy off-white head, lots of lace on the side of the glass. Aromas were caramel, malt, with a minor dose of citric hops added. Very pleasant taste as balance was near perfect between smei-sweet malt and a light bitter taste. This six-pack went fast at the New Year's party.

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

I really enjoyed this beer. A malty fudge brownie in a could pour this over vanilla ice cream and it would be delicious!

Personally I think this is a very underrated brew on BA...

Very well done IMHO...cheers!

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a dark amber with a nice fluffy white head. Beutiful rings as you drink. Delicious sweet malt nose. A touch of hop bitterness to start, with awesome malty sweetness rising up to consume, stiffening to a crisp dry finish. Everything I want in an amber ale.

Sundog Amber Ale from New Holland Brewing Company