Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

New Holland The Poet | New Holland Brewing Company

Added by inebrius on 02-01-2003

Ratings: 2,462 |  Reviews: 754

1.28/5  rDev -67.4%

2.03/5  rDev -48.3%

12ozer from Total Wine in Raleigh.

Appearance: Wow. Pitch black. Thick head that threatens to escape my snifter that holds a 22 with ease. Thick light brown rocky head that lasts and lasts.

Smell: Shit. Really bad. Dirty shoe leather. Old band aids. Maybe this bottle is bad. I focus and can extract some roasty malt notes, but ughhh.

Taste: Still not good. Much better than the smell though. A little sour up front. The finish has the chocolatey roastiness I was expecting, but I'm not happy.

Mouthfeel: This has a full creamy mouthfeel. I wish it didnt taste like shit.

Drinkability: I'm not pouring it out. So there's that. I hope this is a bad bottle, cause its bad. I bet if I drank it from the bottle, it'd be ok, but no. Its not.

2.06/5  rDev -47.6%

Appearance - A bold black color with only a trace of medium brown head that fades as fast as it surfaces.

Smell - Nearly no scent at all. I can barely recognize a hint of roasted malt with a slight chocolate tone.

Taste - Coffee overwhelms the subtle chocolate flavor that is also present. The complexity is minimal.

Mouthfeel - The feel is wet with a wave at some movement on the back of my tongue but nothing substantial enough to bring out any new flavor.

~ When I picked up this single bottle from Cellar 70 I was really hoping for a solid oatmeal stout. I can honestly say I'm bored with it. Sad.

2.18/5  rDev -44.5%

12 oz. bottle

A: 1 1/2 fingers of head - dark dark brown color with no carbonation rising.

S: Char oatmeal smell - very strong and good.

T: Oatmeal char taste is present, but the beer is a little watered down; there is little taste on the palate, but the finish is solid. It got worse as I drank it.

M: Solid mouthfeel - smooth and relatively crisp.

D: Decently drinkable.

New Holland has really been a disappointment for me; this is probably my favorite beer from them but there are still many other oatmeal stouts I would rather have (Samuel Smith's, Dark Horse, and Founders for starters).

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

2.31/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

12oz bottle from bcm75 (thank you!). No bottling date. Served in a Red Brick snifter.

Pours dark brown with a full finger of sandy head that leaves no lace.

Smells mild and unassuming with faint roast and caramel.

Taste is an understated blend of cocoa, sweet oats, plum, nuts and bitter earth. Goes down easy enough but it is missing depth or complexity.

Thin, bordering medium but semi creamy body with light carbonation. Bitter cocoa and plum/ raisin finish.

There's nothing outright bad here but it lacks any real character that would make me want to revisit it. Quite smooth and very subdued. It left me wanting something with more gusto.

2.46/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thin, fizzy, low abv. Not worth the coin, imo. MUCH better oatmeal stouts out there than this one.

2.46/5  rDev -37.4%

This is just not the beer style for me. I picked this up as a single at a liquor store in town in hopes of finding a new style that I would like. I could not have been more disappointed. The mouthfeel felt like a mentos and diet coke in my mouth at the same time. Just fizzy. The taste was alright, subtle oatmeal there, but didn't taste bad. But the way it felt in my mouth was too much for me to overcome with this beer.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5