New Holland The Poet | New Holland Brewing Company

IBU's: 40

Added by inebrius on 02-01-2003

Ratings: 2,452 |  Reviews: 754

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one just did not work for me. I'd like to say there is a smokiness, but it is more ashy to me. I like that it is dry, but there is very little of interest in the flavor

2.64/5  rDev -32.7%

Good stout. Nothing too intense however

2.68/5  rDev -31.6%

2.72/5  rDev -30.6%

This is I believe my first stout from New Holland. Pours a deep brown with a dark head that vanishes quickly. No lacing to speak of. Some reddish hue in the right light. Smell is charcoal, burnt malt, coffee. Taste is also charcoal, burnt coffee, some oatmeal character in the back. Mouthfeel is over carbonated and sticky.

Not a good offering from New Holland.

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Don't like hops in my oatmeal.

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

I was not impressed with this beer. I poured it into my glass and liked what I saw. Great color and a nice froth. Then I tool a smell. I could barely smell anything. What smell there was is okay, but it is very weak. Then I took a drink. Once again, barely there. What there is was okay, but nothing special. No real bitterness. I would compare this to a light beer, only in stout form. Much like actual light beers you could probably drink a few of these without feeling overwhelmed. However, with it's lack of overall flavor, I am not sure that it would be worth it. If it was at a party I would drink it, I just won't be buying it for myself in any quantity.

2.76/5  rDev -29.6%

Got this one from Hopsolutely this past summer. Thanks for all the loot guys!

From a bottle into a snifter

APPEARANCE: A clear brown pour produces a 1 ½ finger, foamy, medium looking, light tan head with good retention. Bistre brown body with no real carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a good wisp and clings to the sides of the glass. A ring remains but leaves no real lacing in its wake.

SMELL: Very mild nose. Touches of roasted barley and coffee, but even those are tough to find. This is as close to smelling like nothing as you can get. Luckily “nothing” can’t be off-putting.

TASTE: Also rather tame up front. Some roasted barley, but more flavor after the swallow. Roasted notes, some light caramel, cream, and some bitter coffee lingers. Mild all around, but still alright.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy enough, goes down smooth and finishes a touch dry.

OVERALL: Okay, but the nose is weak and the flavor is too mild up front. There’s not really much to this beer, unfortunately. Average at best, and not something worth drinking again given all the other stuff out there. Forget this one.

2.83/5  rDev -27.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A - One-finger head of thick dark tan foam that collapses quickly to leave a very thin layer of lace on the surface and a ring around the glass. Beer is coffee black and solidly opaque.

S - Nose is pretty faint, but well-roasted malt and dark chocolate are present. Even letting it warm in the glass and giving it plenty of swirling doesn't generate much.

T - Bitter dark chocolate melted into a moderately roasted cup of coffee. Caramel and oats appear in the background that sweeten the initial impression. Faint trace of bittering hops gives the finish a bit of an cleansing edge. There just isn't much of what's there in any given quaff. It begs to have the volume turned up.

M - Creamy and very smooth. Light carbonation. Seems too thin and watery. Lacks structure. Not much of a finish that lingers.

D - The oatmeal smooths the edges off the typical stout bitterness, making this style more enjoyable, but the flavors are too subdued, resulting in a beer that doesn't stand out in any way and make me want to drink another. The word "inoffensive" is what comes to mind.

2.83/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a very deep brown color with a one and a half finger head.

S-Sweet and roasted coffee malt with a slight earthiness on the finish.

T-Pretty one note and it's roasty with some sweeter roasted notes and a pretty dry finish.

M-A little thin feeling in the mouth for an oat stout and pretty dry with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D-Not my idea of a great oatmeal stout, but I'm sure others prefer the roastiness of this beer.

2.86/5  rDev -27%

Poured mine into the beer glass that looks like a wine glass.

Pours dark like a dark coffee or chocolate.
No foam head to speak of, very thin line that clings to the edge of the glass at its top.

Smells of dark roasted chocolate and oats.

Light to moderate chocolate taste slight bitterness, maybe hops, hard for me to tell, the taste of that roastedy chocolate is a bit strong, but not too strong on it's own, but drowns out other flavors.

Feels nice though, sorta creamy soft carbonation, smooth.

Overall, not a stout person but some have surprised me, and this one isn't doing it for me. It's all subjectiv e and this isn't doing it for me.

2.86/5  rDev -27%

A--Appears black but when held up to the light there are a lot of red/brown highlights apparent. Head was less than a finger tall but I didn't give it too hard of a pour. Recedes quickly

S--Lots of caramel and cocoa on the nose. Actually this kind of smelsl like a Milky Way bar. Really like this scent although it is not a bold as I would hope

T--First taste is pretty much all caramel and malt. Hop bitterness is barely noticeable, you have to search for it to find it. A little bit of chocolate present, taking the form of ready-to-pour powder mix. Pretty smooth taste although nothing amazing by any means. As this warms up there is a distinct coffee bitterness, without the coffee flavor to accompany it. That flavor then molds into a cigarette ashtray taste that is pretty bad.

M--Light in body for a stout, even an oatmeal stout. Nothing off-putting though

D--When I first started this bottle I thought it was easy drinking, but once the ashtray taste started coming to the forefront I wanted to drain-pour it. This is the last Poet I buy, unfortunately. I really like the bottle artwork!

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

A - High hopes based on the appearance. Aggressive pour into a pint glass (Cricket Hill I think). Head grew into about an 1 1/2" foamy mocha colored lace ladened creation.

S - No big surprise, not bad, medium bold espresso smell

T - At first it was enjoyable. There was certainly a roasted barley / espresso taste, but there was also a (and you can feel free to call me crazy on this) taste that was similar to that of taking a big mouthful of fresh snow. I know it sounds crazy, but that's the initial back end taste that I got. Not strong, but it was there. While that particular essence was present, I found the beer quite refreshing. The refreshing snow taste disappeared though. After about drinking about 1/3 of the beer, there was a soy sauce taste that grew larger until the beer was finished. Didn't like that too much.

M - Medium carbonation, not too bad

I doubt that I'd go out of my way to try another. Admittedly, I like Imperials more than oatmeals, but Samuel Smith is better than this one.

look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Lightly chilled 12 oz. bottle into a 33 cl shaker. Bottling date 11.27.12.

Look- Pours a clear deep brown with a finger and a half of dense khaki head that falls quickly, very nice lacing.

Smell- Overwhelmingly smells of leather and tobacco smoke. Pungent, almost abrasive. As it warms, it takes on a more toasted coconut-cocoa aroma, which is nice, but I can't shake the feeling of a fifty-year-old biker bar. Not a deal breaker, but moderately off-putting.

Taste- Still a bit leathery, but feels appropriate. Dark roast coffee, charred hazelnuts, baker's chocolate. Light sweetness towards the end. Mellow, toasted biscuit finish.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, moderate carbonation. Cleaner than expected, light fullness on the back end. Not hefty enough for an oatmeal stout, could use some stick.

Overall- A bit lackluster for an oatmeal stout- misses on a few counts and feels less than cohesive. I wouldn't avoid it, but it's not something I'd purchase/order unless there was nothing else in the category available.

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

My first review...here goes.

Bought a single bottle of Poet at a local general store. This will be my one and only "sweet dreams", before bedtime beer of the evening.

Poured this brew from the 12-oz bottle into a sifter. I found the color dark brown, almost black with a very thin carmel-colored head. Pretty standard for a stout.

I had a hard time smelling anything at first. Two factors affecting the smell as I see it. 1). I had some habanero salsa 30 minutes ago, and 2). The fridge is too cold for stout. I picked up hints of chocolate and tree bark as the glass warmed and my olfactory parts cooled.

The flavor was nothing special. Chocolate and oak upfront, with an achohol aftertaste. OK, but nothing special.

Felt very thin in the mouth for a stout, with a little bit of carbonation. I like my stout with a little more substance behind it.

Very drinkable, especially for someone not into stouts. This seems to be a stout you would break someone into the genre with. The average Bud drinker might be able to make it through a bottle without too much trouble.

Overall...ok. Bored me. I would probably drink it again, but I won't make a special trip for it.

Edit: I just noticed that the two lowest reviews for Poet are mine and benmiliron's, both of us from Toledo. I smell a conspiracy here with New Holland shipping their worst batchs to Toledo. No respect man.

2.9/5  rDev -26%

A - Brown just shy of black. Small head, no lacing.

S - Faintly smells like tea made from roasted brown rice, old, spent bad coffee grounds and very faint burnt sugar. Not much going on.

T - Dark flavors, black patent and faint rice tea. Slight nutty. Aftertaste is a bit of black patent and a mild earthy/woodsy bitterness. It's okay.

M - Medium to thin body, a little harsh and only a little refreshing.

D - It's okay. Very average. Not great, but it lacks anything significantly unpleasant. There are a lot of other, better oatmeal stouts out there.

New Holland The Poet from New Holland Brewing Company