New Holland The Poet | New Holland Brewing Company

IBU's: 40

Added by inebrius on 02-01-2003

Reviews: 742 | Ratings: 2,400
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours nearly black with 1 cm of tan creamy head that is slowly diminishing. Aroma of chocolate and malts. Initial flavor is a mix of chocolate and coffee. Flavor ends with more hops and lasts for a while. Slight lacing, no noted carbonation, medium mouthfeel, and alcohol was well hidden. Drinkable because it is so light, nothing real special for a stout.

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured black with a thin tan head that went away quickly.
The first whiff reminded me of roasted coffee with a slight sweetness at the very end.
A light chocolate taste hit the tounge and then finished with the taste of coffee and a hint of hoppiness.
It was a very smooth beer, but felt a bit too light, almost as if it was watered down a tiny bit.
Very sessionable and I would more than likely drink it again, but i'm not going to go out of my way to find it.

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%

A nice suprise from markguggs.
Pitch black in color with an ample creamy tan head. Good retention and good lace.
Milk chocolate in the nose with some hints of charcoal.
The balance between the roasted, coffee, and chocolate flavors in this one is perfect. Also a hint of hops in the finish. Excellent beer.
Mouthfeel is silky smooth. That's why I love oatmeal stouts...the silky smooth mouthfeel.
Easily drinkable and I wish this one was available year around for me.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Big, yet smooth, I suppose that makes for a good oatmeal stout. I didn't get any head retention, but the body is still a nice, thick black. The aroma is a mix of chocolate grains with a touch of coffee and roasted barley. I also keep thinking I'm catching hint of hops, like this is a milder Shakespeare Stout. The same flavors come up on your tongue, along with a sweet malt flavor that's followed by a mild bitter bite. All in all a tasty stout. Not the most distinctive, but a good brew.

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Pours a pretty decent beer. Dark as you could want from a stout with a raven on the label. The head is pretty impressive, a little darker than off-white, it sticks around for at least 5 minutes.

S: Smells a little hotter than I would think for a 6.5%ABV. Some black licorice malts, but not any chocolate or coffee.

T: Decent, but certainly not my favorite stout. For an oatmeal, this tastes too burnt/roasted for my liking.

M: Tingles on the tongue. A decent finish, but the burnt notes continue to overpower.

D: Fairly drinkable, although not to my tastes, and the fact that the alcohol peeks through at only 6.5% is a little disconcerting.

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured very very dark in my glass with very little to no head. Only a handful of carbonation sprigs are seen.
Scent of oats, malt and some sweet nuances (chocolate mixed with coffee?).
Taste of oats with some chicory flavor, trailed by a bit of bitterness on the swallow.
The weight is a bit heavier than expected.

Let it sit for a few minutes...

The nose was a bit more present with roasted malts and some other pungent scent. The taste was also more dense and also more bitter. A bit more fullness and bitterness in the swallow.

Overall, a decent offering with good balance. However, the end notes weres more bitter and pungent than I cared for at this time.
I'll have to come back to this another time.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

It appears they may have changed the bottle, because the one I had was different. It had a suspicious black bird adorning the label. Was he there to look over the beer? Or was he trying to drink it?

It poured dark brown, turning black as it fills the glass. I swear I saw that bird taking a look as I poured. The head fizzed away quickly, leaving me with just the liquid and the glass.

It smells of burnt dark chocolates. Aromas were fairly mild, however.

Taste was very toasty and warm. It was a campfire for my mouth. Again, dark chocolate dominated it. Maybe some burnt toast as well, but I mean that in the best way you can imagine burnt toast. It wasn't like the cook forgot about the toaster, it's that he meant to char it a bit.

It felt like your average stout, which is generally good. It was easy to drink, and actually became more enjoyable as it warmed up. My final sip was at nearly room temperature, but still very good.

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Eye: Extremely dark, I won't say its black because its not. It has more of a dark, very dark brown cast to it with dark garnet highlights. Murky or clear, can't tell. There is no head, and what lacing there is ends up being extremely thin. However, I can expect this from an oatmeal stout...the oils from the high volume of oats totally kill head retention.

Nose: Sweetness and roasted grains make up the dark aroma of this brew. I also get some hints of chocolate. Alcohol is detectable. Would be nice if it were a bit more potent, more room filling.

Tongue: I get chocolate notes, roasted flavors, a burnt type of bitterness-black malt?, and a sweetness that is quite different than that of a milk stout, this is more subtle, harder to put a finger on. Much different than any other style of stout.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth this one is full bodied and velvet smooth. Low carbonation compliments what is going on with the rest of the body. This one is easy to drink, however before I come back to this I'd like to get my hands on some other oatmeal stouts and see how they compare.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a near pitch black with a little bit of dark white head, doesn't last that long, a large splotch of lacing. The aroma is classic oatmeal stout, cocoa, malty, pretty solid. Taste is also good with the cocoa and chocolates, slightly bittering, quite yummy, good medium mouth and mellow carbonation. In all, nothing special, but a very good session beer for sure.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Pours dark, little to no head but good lacing.

S- Smells of raisins with some hinting of barley.

T- Good taste, raisins take a back seat to roated oats. Slight smokeyness to it.

M- Light mouthfeel, after the sip, alcohol can be tasted followed by a hint of bite.

D- Okay drink, light body for a stout. Decent beer.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

i killed this guy over at nachbar this past weekend and i must say he was pretty delicious. he poured a nice solid brown with a light brown head. the smell is nutty, but not particularly representative of an oatmeal stout. the taste is good, but it could be a lot fuller and stronger. the beer isn't watery by any means, but i would rather drink a thicker stout.

this is a decent oatmeal stout, but there's no reason to drink it when you can get samuel smith's instead. thta's where its at.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer poured a pitch black body with a nice dark tan head.

Nose is a mix of chocolate, some coffee, fresh grain and very mild touches of smoke.

Taste is medium bodied with a rich dark malt flavor. Lots of dark toasted grain, milk chocolate, a nice oatmeal grain taste and coarseness. There's some dark fireplace brick burnt, mildly smokey flavor as well. Hops are kept to a minimum and there's just enough bitterness to give it some balance without ever going overboard.

This is a great oatmeal stout from a brewery I wish would distribute to Massachusetts. (had to pick it up when I visited my in-laws in IL). Just an overall great oatmeal stout. More please.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz Bottle
$7.99 6-Pack
Route 6 Liquors

The Poet pours chestnut brown with mahogany highlights when directly backlit. A one finger beige head appeared on the pour and settled to a respectable cap. The head leaves some patchy lacing here and there. This is a good looking beer.

Smell is much different than I expected. There's a lot of hazelnut, so much so I'm reminded of Rogue's Hazelnut Nectar (which I like by the way). There's some roasted maltiness in the distance with some mild coffee grounds but for the most part hazelnut dominates.

Now this tastes a lot more like an oatmeal stout than the nose led me to believe. Roasted maltiness is in perfect harmony with a wave of freshly brewed coffee. There's still a touch of the hazelnut but seems to stay in the background and compliment instead of dominate.

The mouthfeel is just what you want from a stout and without a doubt the oatmeal plays a role. There's a silky smooth and slick body that's on the heavier side of medium.

I could easily sit down and drink a few of these in a session. The moderate body and silkiness helps without a doubt.

The Poet turned out to be a pretty solid stout from New Holland. I would pick this up again when in the mood for an oatmeal stout. The Poet is unique for the style.

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

Had this on draft at Teller's in Hyde Park ( a suburb of Cincinnati) and it was superb. I had this in a bottle as well though it's good it's far better on draft..Alcohol is well hidden and almost non present as are most oatmeal stouts.Goes down smooth with just a slight hop bitterness on the back of the tongue.If you're a huge stout fan like myself I recommend giving this one a try if you get the chance especially on draft!

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Nearly black with ruby highlights in the bottom of the glass. The head is tan and one finger, fairly loose and dies quickly.
Aroma consits of roasted malt presence along with sweetness of toasted oats and bitter chocolate malts. A very light piney hop presence seems to come out more as this beer warms up a bit. The taste is a nice balance of roasted malts and coffee, with the sweetness of the oats and chocolate malts. The finish is just a touch bitter and has very faint mint cooling along with it. The feel of this one is medium, but with a great smoothness to it, as well as a creaminess from big bubbled carbonation.
The balance of this one is what impressed me the most. No one part overshadows another. Much respect for this brew. Well done New Holland.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a 8oz hote water glass, but heck at least it was a glass right?

A - This one poured a very nice and very thick looking dark brown with a large tan colored head gracing the top and rising to a height of around two fingers until it gradually faded and left behind a thin film across the top and more the adequate side glass lace that clouded up the glass very nicely throughout the entire session.

S - The aroma was simply awesome. This is exactly the type of thing I want in an oatmeal stout. The first thing I noticed was a very nice and dominant aroma of chocolate which suprised me a bit as I did not know this would be in there. As I got past that I started to notice a little more of the sweet lactose sugar and a touch of vanilla even strting to come through in the aroma. As it warmed soem more sweetness and a touch of lactose suagr started to come through as well as the oatmel like smell, this is what it was all about.

T - The flavor followed along with the aroma damn near perfectly. This was about as full of an ooatmela stout as I have had lately and was just really an eye opener so to speak. I really thought the nice touch of chocolate up front was really well played and only helped to add to the overall feel of it. There were hints of cookie dough and vanilla generously scattered throughout the taste which just rippled with sweetness and fullness and really never did quit or let you down..The finish was a touch sweet as well, not nearly drying out as much as I thought it wwould but rather stying full and sweet.

M - Simply great with a smooth creamy full body that just was a wonderful beer to sit down and drink. The carbonation never let up and it never got boring or stale an by no means was this coming off as thin in any way. A rich creamy feel that fit the style perfectly and opened me up to the rest of it.

D - Just amazing that something with this full of a feel and flavor profile would be soo damn drinkable. I really could have treated this one as a session beer, and probably really should have as it was just amazing. A really finely crafted example of the style.

Overall I thought that this one was excellent. I have been dissapointed by the style as of late and this one came along and really brought it all back for me. A really fine nd well crafted oatmeal stout that had just the right amount of everything. I would have no issue in having this one again anyday.

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

I give this one props for the cool literary reference. However, the
important thing here is the taste, right? Well, this medium-bodied
stout has a characteristic burnt-chocolate/coffee taste, with a
lingering (though not too complex) finish. It's a solid, if
unremarkable stout.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a mug. The bottle has a raven on it this year (FYI).

A: Pours very dark, nearly black, with slight amber tones. A slightly more vigorous than usual pour leaves about 2 fingers thick of frothy tan head. Generous lacing. Retains about 1/4" head all the way down. A very attractive beer.

S: Not aggressive in any particular aspect. A pleasant, earthy smell that isn't what I expected but appetizing nonetheless. Hints of coffee.

T: Delicious and complex. Starts slowly and slightly sweet and builds to a slightly burnt, coffee flavor with a nice bitter finish. The aftertaste is where I detect most of the malt (and some chocolate) as the bitter fades to a long lasting sweetness. As it warms more alcohol flavor becomes present.

M: The first one of these I drank seemed watery and overcarbonated, however, this last bottle has changed my mind. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, with just about perfect carbonation and lots of nice tiny, tingly bubbles.

D: An excellent stout (but where's the oatmeal?). I'm satisfied with one of these but I'm sure I could drink several in the course of the night. At $9+ a sixer on a college budget, that isn't really an option for me :). Will definitely purchase again.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

I was lucky enough to get this bottle in a mixed case from a holiday club.

Pours a nice thick black, a thin layer of head that disappears quickly. There is good lacing that sticks to the side of the snifter.

The notes in the nose are very sweet. Chocolate and coffee, but something else that is almost fruity.

The only word to describe this stout is sweet. Sweet from the first sip, all the way through the finish. The smell I was getting in the nose was oranges, sweet like clementines with no bitterness. And of course, chocolate and roasted coffee. There isn’t very much carbonation, has a mouthfeel that’s the same, slick but not watery; I would actually describe it as soft.

Great stout. For me, not enough bitterness to balance the sweetness, but definitely something I would like to have again.

4.21/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer pours a dark brown reminiscent of a porter. It's head is a little weak, however, the taste is whats the most important and it doesn't lack in that arena. The smell is nowhere to be found BUT like I mentioned the taste is the most important. I really enjoy the coffee taste and the smokey hints that make up the start of this brew. I'm surprised by this brews low rating considering its amazing taste.

Overall this drinkable brew is full of taste. I would try this again any day. Grab this brew. Enjoy!

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

And you didn’t even know it. Poured a typical black color with some cloudy aspects and red hues on the sides. Decent pour with a nice head and good retention staying through the entire tasting on the side of the glass.

The nose at first was very light with underlining malt aromas, but as the beer warmed more stout like aromas appeared. Some roasted and caramel notes as well as chocolate touches. Not much on the sweet or oatmeal essence.

The taste brings out more roast flavors and very limited oatmeal or even silky-like flavors that you see in oatmeal stouts. Feels more of an American Stout with chocolate and roasted flavors coming out strong. More bitterness on the malt side and touches of DMS as well.

The body is body overall. Some chewy textures but I still would have liked more of a silky flavor for an oatmeal stout. Overall, rather disappointed.

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz bottle purchased from Abe's in Bethlehem as part of a mixed six-pack ($10.99). Pours dark brown from the bottle, looks more black in the glass with two fingers of tan head that fades to a thin cap that stays for the length of the beer and leaves just a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell is pretty standard for a stout: dark, roasted malts, some coffee, not too aggresive or bitter. Taste is very similar, also not very aggresive (which i think i would have liked here). Mouthfeel was smooth and creamy and this is very drinkable. I don't particularly like stouts--this is a good one, but i didn't like it as much as anderson valleys.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Pours a dark brownish black color with a light tan head. The aroma is dark and roasted malts and coffee. The taste much like the aroma is dark and roasty with a very pleasant smoothness that is characteristic of the good oatmeal stouts. Overall, this is a very good beer that is highly recommended.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- Thin tan head atop a black brew with hints of brown at the edges. Nice sticky rings left in the glass.

S- Scent of coffee, chocolate, and oats. Roasted malt aroma with some fruity scents.

T- More coffee and oat flavors. Light hops leave a clean finish.

M- Light to medium carbonation help with smooth feel.

D- Easy drinker. Something I could fit into my regular stout rotation.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Clear and dark brown hued on the pour, opaque in the pint glass. Attractive tan head leaves some patchy lacing. Aroma of oatmeal, milk chocolate, and a hint of roasty coffee. Very nice mouthfeel has a full medium body, moderate carbonation, and smooth grainy oats. Milk chocolate and oats dominate the taste. The oats are a major player in this one, serving up a soft but grainy character. Fruity hops add a note of ripe orange. Nice roasty coffee bitterness on the finish. A very nice sipper on a cool autumn evening.

New Holland The Poet from New Holland Brewing Company