Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

We've Been Out There In Orbit (Bourbon Barrel Aged) | Other Half Brewing Co.

We've Been Out There In Orbit (Bourbon Barrel Aged)We've Been Out There In Orbit (Bourbon Barrel Aged)
4.17/5
Exceptional

Other Half Brewing Co.
New York, United States
otherhalfbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged for 1 year in bourbon barrels.

Added by vfgccp on 11-30-2016

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a bunch of buds over the other night and we ripped through a dozen other half stouts side-by-side for science.

The list included:
In Absentia Luci (2016 Bourbon Barrel Aged W/ Coconut, Vanilla & Cardamom)
In Absentia Luci (2016 Bourbon Barrel Aged With Vanilla)
In Absentia Luci (2016 Bourbon-Barrel With Coffee Hazelnut And Cocoa Nibs)
In Absentia Luci - Red Wine Barrel
In Absentia Luci - Rum Barrel Aged
We've Been Out There In Orbit (Apple Brandy Barrel Aged)
We've Been Out There In Orbit (Bourbon Barrel Aged)
We've Been Out There In Orbit (Rum Barrel Aged)
Cane Life (bourbon Barrel Aged Version)
Cane Life (conditioned On Cocoa, Cinnamon And Ancho Peppers Version)
Cane Life (conditioned On Coconut And Coffee Version)
Cane Life (conditioned On Tahitian Vanilla Version)

The Orbits were the highlights across the board for me. The bourbon barrel was a bit sludgy and probably my least favorite of the orbits, but still better than most of the absentias and cane life set. Just very rich and full...bourbon wasn't too hot (for me), decent as far as bourbon barrel aged stouts go in general, but better than the abentia bourbon.

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

4.46/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.61/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up when it was released at Other Half, along with the other bottles in this series. I loved what these guys did with the others that I've had and this fit the bill as well as it was amazingly smooth while being strong and delectable at the same time. This was not for the faint of heart or for quaffing quickly as a nice range of flavors emerged once it fully warmed up!

Unbelievable pour to this as the beer looked like liquid chocolate and the head held it's own for as long as possible, up until I had to take some sips to get more liquid into my Teku glass. Mousse-like, soft, and solid, it was a shame that I had to take it in at some point! Not a strong aroma to this but there was lots of chocolate, booze, and a bit of rye tossed into the mix as well. The bourbon barrel aging came through in the taste with more stickiness, rye and molasses on top of everything else. It was so intoxicating and thick, but there wasn't any residue left on bottom of the bottle or my glass as well. This contradicting thinness was also seen on the side of the glass as the lacing slowly slid down after covering up a majority of it once I worked my way through.

Sure, this was strong but when you enjoy it so much and want it to go on forever, who's to notice? So much going on here but somehow, it all meshed well together as I had to pace myself through this bottle. Each one of these has been a joy to imbibe as Other Half keeps surprising me with every release. After so many offerings, it's obvious that the sky's the limit for these guys, and all of us are all the better for it.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We've Been Out There In Orbit (Bourbon Barrel Aged) from Other Half Brewing Co.