We've Been Out There In Orbit (Rum Barrel Aged) | Other Half Brewing Co.

We've Been Out There In Orbit (Rum Barrel Aged)We've Been Out There In Orbit (Rum Barrel Aged)
4.08/5

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by kuishinbo_tantei on 12-23-2016

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.29/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev +1%

3.82/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a bunch of buds over the other night and we ripped through a dozen other half stouts side-by-side for science.

The list included:
In Absentia Luci (2016 Bourbon Barrel Aged W/ Coconut, Vanilla & Cardamom)
In Absentia Luci (2016 Bourbon Barrel Aged With Vanilla)
In Absentia Luci (2016 Bourbon-Barrel With Coffee Hazelnut And Cocoa Nibs)
In Absentia Luci - Red Wine Barrel
In Absentia Luci - Rum Barrel Aged
We've Been Out There In Orbit (Apple Brandy Barrel Aged)
We've Been Out There In Orbit (Bourbon Barrel Aged)
We've Been Out There In Orbit (Rum Barrel Aged)
Cane Life (bourbon Barrel Aged Version)
Cane Life (conditioned On Cocoa, Cinnamon And Ancho Peppers Version)
Cane Life (conditioned On Coconut And Coffee Version)
Cane Life (conditioned On Tahitian Vanilla Version)

The Orbits were the highlights across the board for me. This specific treatment was my favorite of the full dozen. The rum worked really nicely with the orbit and made for a great beer. If there is one stout to chase down from other half, this would be it in my opinion. Good beverage in general.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was yet another beer that I picked up at Other Half up it's release, along with the other variants in the series. I loved those and although this didn't quite measure up to those, it was enjoyable, soothing, and warming on a night such as this even though the weather could be a bit colder for this time of the year!

The pour to this was as to be expected - dark, viscous, and with a thin but long-lasting tan head. Not a lot of lacing left behind as the few bubbles slid down the side of my Teku glass after my first few sips. Tons of rum spice in the nose along with the hefty booze and hints of bitter chocolate to boot. A subtle but slick raspberry tartness could be found in the nose underneath it along with some hints of vanilla extract, brown sugary sweetness, and oatmeal-like malt. An underlying oak presence could also be felt here though the sugar was strong enough to overpower that when all was said and done.

No doubt that this was strong but at least the alcohol didn't drown out everything else that was going on here. While not as good as the other beers that Other Half brewed like this, fans of rum would be wise to give this a go once. I prefer the bourbon barrel-aging to this but as a change of pace, this was more than sufficient. Worth a go once during these cold winter months.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

To me this one was a big letdow. It pours incredibily thick, amd I love, and it also feels chewy and gooey in my mouth. Still the flavor is totally jumpying between toasted malt and alcohol punch. BIG alcohol punch. Rum is way overpowering and would need more chocolatey backbone to support it.
Hopefully it will get better with aging

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I have enjoyed many rum barrel aged stouts before - Pirate Bomb and Pirate Noir are just tremendous. But the rum barrel version of We've Been Out There in Orbit was just too much barrel for me - the rum flavor and smell really overpowered the beer. If you love rum, you might love this beer.

4.09/5  rDev +0.2%

From the pour, this beer makes a good impression on me. It pours gooey and and viscous and lets me know I'm in for a full-bodied and rich brew.

The aroma and flavor certainly show the rum, imparting oak, brown sugar and that sweet booziness typical to rum. The base beer lends a roasty dark malt flavor and some added sweetness. Light vanilla and caramel join the mix.

As with the appearance, the feel is gooey and chewy and conceals the alcohol almost entirely.

This is nice.

4.08/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

We've Been Out There In Orbit (Rum Barrel Aged) from Other Half Brewing Co.