Raspberry Blond | Columbia Kettle Works

Added by jbaker67 on 05-25-2014

Reviews by TheNightwatchman:
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this on 2014-05-31 at the brew pub.

A - Pretty clear, golden-orange with a 1.5-finger off-white head and very nice lace.

S - Pale malt, whiff of raspberry, honey, light grass and hop floral. The raspberry steps up the smell a notch from the regular blonde.

T - Touch of hop bitterness up front then a rich malt backbone with the flavor of lightly toasted fresh bread with raspberry jam. The aftertaste retains a nice bread/fruit sweet/tartness while drying and moderate hop bitterness increases to an extent that I found most pleasant. The careful addition of the raspberry adds complexity without making this taste like a fruit beer.

M - Medium body and carbonation. It has a smooth, substantial feel. Not watery at all. Almost as if there are some oats or a good amount of wheat being used to increase mouthfeel. This really works for me.

O - I previously reviewed the regular Blonde and have had it on subsequent occasions and so am quite familiar with the flavor profile. I was surprised and pleased today with this tastefully-done enhancement. If you read my previous review of the Blonde, you'll see that I liked its bolder approach to hop flavor and bitterness than expected for the style. I thought the addition of raspberries (added in the secondary fermentation) would mitigate this edge; but the brewmaster didn't do this, much to his credit. I'm impressed.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%